Young Writers Society

Dream on

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon May 23, 2011 7:59 pm
View Likes
Kaywiia says...

Alan Wright

"Just another sad story I guess. I've never really had parents, I've always taken care of myself. So now I'm going to New York, just for the hell of it really." His answer had taken him a second too long. I knew when people were lying to me. I surpressed a frown, and decided it wasn't really my buisness anyway. I didn't exactly tell him the whole truth either.

"New York, huh? Up with all the broadway junkies?" The theme song by Frank Sinatra popped into my head, and it was all I could do to keep from humming a little part of it.

"I guess," he shrugged. A brief moment of silence passed between us. Ty seemed a little down, so in an effort to lift the mood, I decided a little humming wouldn't kill anyone. The words played in my head as I hummed.

Start spreading the news, I'm leaving today.

His mouth spread into his colgate smile. Mission acomplished. I couldn't help it, I smiled as well. A first since I had left the house. As I opened my mouth to say something, sierns began wailing in the distance.

I let out a few not-so-mild swear words, and looked around to make sure everyone else had heard them. We didn't have much time.

We needed to hide, and fast.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

52 Reviews

Reviews: 52
Mon May 23, 2011 8:37 pm
emoticon220 says...

Drea:
I had stayed mostly quiet while we were figuring out what to do, but when the sirens started I started to panic inside. ?I decided to try to get everyone together and run.
"guys!" i yelled it startled even me, "guys this way!" I grabbed Blue and Andy, the closest people to me and started to sprint back in the direction it made the most sense for a town to be in. I didnt check who was behind me if there even was anyone, i just ran. i saw a neon sign for a gas station and ran towards it even faster. I ducked inside and went up to the counter, the boy standing there looked bored and sarcastic.
"is there a bus stop anywhere near here?" My voice loud and breathless. The boy pointed down the street to my right, i thanked him then waited by the door for any others.
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 pm
View Likes
qaralynn says...

Ksenia
"Don't...don't talk like that. About dying, I mean. It's...just, don't. Weirds me out, y'know?"
I bit on my lip and wished I hadn't said anything. BIG FAIL..again.. I figured it was better if I would just keep quiet so I didn't respond and pulled up my invisible walls.
"I don't think they'll get you anyhow...Okay, I'm sorry if it is too personal, but...why are these people after you? If you don't want to tell me it's cool. But I just, I had to ask."
I didn't see that question coming at all and my heart skipped a beat. I looked down and tried to get my mind and heart under control. What on earth am I supposed to answer to that? Yeah, well my dad owns the russian maffia money and didn't pay them back so now they're after me to put me in the prostitution and get their money back that way, but my dad didn't turn out to be such a jerk after all and send me to America to go live with my aunt and uncle (yes, He didn't think about their safety for one second) but I think they've found me again so I ran away to protect my family. What do you mean: seriously?..It happens all the time
Red excused himself and walked to the front, telling me he'd come back later. I'm sorry..

And that's when I heard the sirens. And that's when I started to run fro my life.
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Mon May 23, 2011 9:10 pm
fictionfanatic says...

Andy:

As we walked, it was pretty quiet, aside from about two conversations going on. As for the rest of us, well, let's just say we wouldn't exactly be the life of a party.

Lightly, a ran my hand over the strings of the guitar, playing a soft strum. The next thing I knew, red lights were reflecting off of everyone's faces and the sound of a police siren sent chills down my spine.

Suddenly, the girl, Drea, grabbed me and some guy, Blue, and yelled at everyone to run.

Wow, way to be inconspicuous about it. I thought sarcastically to myself, despite the fact that they probably really were here for us.

Drea dragged Blue and I all the way into the nearest town, into some shop where she asked for the nearest bus stop.

My heart pounded in my ears as I tried to catch my breath. I just had to run for my life, fearing being brought home and sent to one of those God awful straight camps.

My head swarmed with the possibility of it, running through what would've happened had I just been caught. And I did something I really hate doing, especially in front of people, especially ones I barely know: I began to cry.
Live, Love, Laugh

52 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 9:29 pm
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

Drea:
Andy and Blue were with me in the gas station. It smelled weird and one of the florescent lights flickered, but it was quiet. then Andy started to cry. my heart went out to him/her, and i walked up.
"Andy?" i said quietly, "are you..." i stopped myself, if it was one this i hated it was people asking if youre ok knowing full well that you arent.
"I...Would you like to hear a story? its kind of sad, and kind of lonely, but i haven't told it yet, and i think i should" i knew it was time, maybe if i told my own story to Andy, he/she would open up, maybe, i could help Andy along.
"heres the thing, were both here, talking to eachother in this dingy gas station for the same reason, i know that. and...if i tell you a story...you have to tell me one too. deal?"
i reach my hand up to Andys face and used my thumb to wipe away a few tears.
"you think about it, ill be right back." i went and grabbed 3 candy bars and took my money out of my shoe to pay. I gave one to Blue, and one to Andy, then waited for Andys response.
O thin men of Haddam,/Why do you imagine golden birds?/Do you not see how the blackbird/Walks around the feet/Of the women about you?
-Wallace Stevens

52 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 pm
emoticon220 says...

((sorry, im pretty sure Drea hasnt determined what andy is yet, maybe this will help? up to you Fanfic :P :) ))
-Wallace Stevens

84 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 9:49 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Andy:

Drea's warm hand brushed the tears away from my face, and she then attempted to make a deal.

Sucking in a shakey breath, I bit down on my bottom lip and nodded a Yes, then waiting for Drea to tell her story.

As she began, I unwrapped the candy bar and, despite my turned stomach and the tears still managing a way down my face, began to nibble at it.

*your turn!*
Live, Love, Laugh

52 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 10:15 pm
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

Drea:
Andy drew a breath then nodded. I filled my lungs then started,
"Once there was a girl named Ariadne. Ariadne was a plain and boring teen girl, but she had a wonderful little sister named Cellia, who was 4 years younger than her. Ariadne loved Cellia and played with her as much as possible hoping one day Cellia would be as amazing of an adult as she was of a child." I took another breath, and pushed back the urge to cry, "one day...one day, Ariadne and Cellia decided to play hide and seek, for old times sake. The day was warm and sunny and it was Ariadnes turn to seek." a tear rolled down my cheek but i continued. "Ariadne counted to ten the searched for her sister in all her favorite spots. she heard a giggle behind her and...and saw Cellia running into the neighbors yard. But Cellia could not see what Ariadne saw, a green jeep, barreling down the road, until it was on top of her." more tears rolled down, and my voice wavered. "Ariadne screamed for help as she held her baby sister, as the jeep driver got out of the car, as her parents ran outside. she screamed until the ambulance got there and the EMT's tried to lift Cellia out of her arms, then, Ariadne sobbed and swung at the EMT's, 'no!' she screamed, 'you cant take her away from me!' but they did. Ariadne screamed and sobbed until they arived at the hospital, then she passed out. She was awoken by her mother, whose eyes were bagged and red, slapping her across the face. her father stood in the corner, of a cramped hostpital room, and her mother screamed at her 'What did you do? How could you let this happen?' then her mother fell to her knees and sobbed 'my baby. my baby' Ariadne looked past her mother, to the bed, where a pale, ghostly versoin of her sister lay, her chest, unmoving, her mouth slightly open." i looked up, the room was silent and the silence was heavy. "Ariadne blamed herself every day for the death of her sister, her mother stopped speaking to her, and her father worked as late as possible and didnt speak to her or her mother. Finally, after two months, Ariadne boarded a bus, she had no idea where she was going, and she didnt care. she dropped her first name, and started a new life for herself. but she never forgets her sister, she never forgets the days spent crying in her room. She met some great people on that bus, and now...now she doesnt know what to do, but she tells her story, and hopes someone will hug her, and tell her that her sister doesnt blame her and that everything is ok"
i looked at andy, and cried silently, eyes open, and face sullen, then, i waited.

((the floor is yours))
-Wallace Stevens

84 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 10:41 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Andy:

With a deep breath, I took a step towards her and gave her a big hug. For a moment, we just stood there hugging, without a word.

Finally, I pulled away from her and took a deep breath. Now its my turn. Leaning against the wall, I titlted my head up to see the stars, partly for their beaty and partly so Drea wouldn't see my tears. And I began in a shakey voice:

"Once upon a time, there was a little girl named Antonia. She had an older brother, a mother, and a father who loved her very very much. But over time, Antonia realized she didn't like what other girls liked. She didn't like princesses and fairy wands, she didn't like sleepovers and giggly girls, she didn't like skirts and dresses, she didn't like hanging out with girls, she liked hanging out with guys. She at first pulled it off by wearing her brothers hand-me-downs, and no one thought it strange."

For the next part, I had to take in a shakey breath and compose myself for a second, then say, "But then Antonia reached middle school, and she started to buy guy's clothes herself. This is when her parents started to get worried, because you see, they are anti-gay and feared their daughter was gay."

I had to choke back a sob, then continued, "Antonia soon came to terms that she liked girls, not guys. Antonia was petrified to tell her parents and brother, so she never did. But soon she then came to terms with the fact that she was-"

I had to pause for a second, building my courage to say it outloud, "Transgender. Antonia was supposed to be born a boy. So, Antonia changed, now his, name, and he went by that around his friends and with his teachers. But never his family."

Biting, down on my bottom lip, I batted my eyes so to keep the tears from coming out any heavier as I continued, "But of course, he had to tell them, so he did, not too long ago. And-"

I had to bury my hands in my face and compose myself for a minute before continuing. Lifting my face from my palms, I slowly continued, "For a little while, the boy and the parents screamed and fought and argued. Finally, recently, they told him that they were sending him to straight camp." It took all my effort to say the last two words without falling onto my knees and sobbing.

With a shakey breath, I finished, "So he grabbed his guitar and his ace bandages and ran away. He boarded a bus, met some kids, got chased by the police, listened to a girl tell him her story, and now he just told his and he's - he's afraid that he won't be accepted by anyone."

With that finished, I turned to face her, tears pouring down my face, waiting for her reaction.
Live, Love, Laugh

52 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 10:58 pm
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

Drea:
Andys story rocked me, my heart went out to him. I leaned in and hugged him, for a long time my tears in his shirt, his tears dripping onto my hair.
"Andy?"
"yeah?"
"I don't care if you gay, straight, man, woman, hell, i wouldent care if you told me youre actually a glass-eating tomato from space, youre here, youre you, and nothing, NOTHING will change that." I pulled up my shirt a bit and showed him the rainbow colored "Love Is Love" i had tattooed on my hip. then hugged him again, this time i pulled Blue in too. and we waited together.
-Wallace Stevens

84 Reviews

Mon May 23, 2011 11:21 pm
View Likes
fictionfanatic says...

Andy:

It was clear on Drea's face that my story had sunk in and hit her hard. Next thing I knew, Drea leaned in and wrapped me in a hug. We stood there for what seemed like forever, her tears drenching my shirt, my tears soaking her hair.

Eventually, she said, "Andy?"

Wiping my eyes, I responded, "Yeah?"

A small smirk spread across her face as she said, "I don't care if you gay, straight, man, woman, hell, i wouldn't care if you told me youre actually a glass-eating tomato from space, you're here, you're you, and nothing, NOTHING, will change that."

With that said, she pulled up my shirt and showed me a rainbow colored tattoo on her hip saying "Love Is Love". Letting her shirt fall back into place, she then hugged me again, but this time she pulled Blue in as well. And we stood there like that, hugging, crying, smiling, waiting.

Blue:

Both of the stories weighed down on my heart and made me want to cry and reach out for them.

After Drea showed Andy her tattoo, she pulled me in and we all hugged.

Taking a deep breath, I said softly, "I feel like it's my turn."

They both gave me a look as if saying I didn't have to, but I felt I should since they were so open about it.

With a deep breath, I started:

"Mine's pretty short, but here goes: When I was a kid, about four or five, my dad left me and my mom. This made my mom depressed, angry, and short tempered, and she just smothered her depression with drinking, which firthered the depression and the anger. From the time I was six up, my mother started to beat me. It started with just a smack here and there, but it soon escalated into a bloody, broken boned mess almost everytime, as you can see from my nose and he scars on my face. But my entire life I've had to hide the scars all over my arms, legs, and back with long clothes, even in the summer. And well-"

Feeling words wouldn't do justice, I slid out of my jacket and quickly pulled off my shirt. Seeing that the bandages needed changing anyway, I quickly unraveled those as well. I knew I must've looked like a freak, my shirt off and my back and arms covered in scars and bloody belt wounds, but I didn't care. I just felt relieved someone knew. So, quickly, I pulled out my bandages and wrapped myself up, feeling their eyes on me as I pulled on my shirt and jacket and put the bandages safely away.

"So I ran away."

*Hope you don't mind, but Ima bring in Michal. So sorry, just wanna get her in here cause she hasn't been in much!*

Michal:

When the polive came, I ran like I was on fire. There was no way I was going back to my stepfather. I was the first to reach the others.

Wrapping my arms around my chest, I walked up to the three of them, just in time for Blue's story. I felt like a bit of an intruder, but didn't know where else to go.

Seeing from their puffy eyes and tear stained faces, I knew they'd all shared.

In a moment of boldness, I wrapped my arms tighter around my chest and looked up at all of them with hard eyes as I said rather bitterly, "My stepfather sexually abuses me."

*Sorry hers is so short, but I both don't know how to draw that out and have to go. Ta ta!*
Live, Love, Laugh

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 am
View Likes
Loller65 says...

Red

Before the scarred kid could respond, a cluster of sirens lit up behind us and the group of kids scattered. I spun on my heel and looked for Ksenia. I couldn't find her so I shot off in the direction I figured she'd gone. I didn't know how much I trusted her out there by herself. What if she decided to take her own life or something? I didn't want to even think about it, so I veered off the road, away from the harsh wail of the sirens and into the undergrowth. I slowed to a stop and poked around for a bit before I started softly saying her name in the hope she'd hear it.

"Ksenia? Ksenia, you out there? Are you alright, unharmed? Hello?"

There wasn't a response. I craned my neck to see if I could catch a glimpse of the bleached blonde hair zig zagging out amongst the trees, but it wasn't there. I could still hear the sirens. Perhaps I should get a little louder. So, I cupped my hands around my mouh to amplify the sound.

"Ksenia! You out there? Ksenia!"

I dropped my hands to my sides and shuffled along.

"Ksenia!"

I walked up to a tree and sat down at its base. Suddenly I found myself alone in the woods and it was nearly dark. FFFFUUUU-
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Tue May 24, 2011 3:18 pm
View Likes
qaralynn says...

Ksenia
I stopped running to catch my breath and looked around me. I'm in the woods..how typical. I leaned against a tree and noticed that I was the only one in this dark place. My arms hurt even more than after the bus crash and I could feel some fresh wounds. I remembered falling down a few times.
Where are the others?
I stabled my breathing and listened quietly. All I could hear was the beating of my own heart. You gotta be kidding me.
I feared that the others had ran to the gas station instead of hiding out in the woods and changed course. Suddenly this American wood turned into the cold Russian woods that I remembered very well, and I stood still. I saw a young girl running for her life while clinging to her backpack. The tears were streaming down on her face while she was crying for her daddy to come save her.
Things never changed, Dad. Except that now I am on my own.
I broke down and let out the tears I hadn't cried for years.
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

52 Reviews

Tue May 24, 2011 10:53 pm
View Likes
emoticon220 says...

Drea:
During Blue's story, a girl from the bus walked in. Michal i think, she simply, almost coldly stated
"my stepfaher sexually abuses me."
and i pulled her closer to us. we were still waiting for the others, Kroshka, Ty, Alan, and Red. it was getting dark, and i began to worry.
"when does the next bus come?" i asked bored checkout boy,
"10:30" he replied blandly. i looked at a clock on the wall, it was 9:45. My heart jumped, and i worried about getting out of here.
-Wallace Stevens

31 Reviews

Reviews: 31
Tue May 24, 2011 11:09 pm
View Likes
Loller65 says...

Red

I stood, thought I heard something. Like...like a slowly dying animal. It was pretty faint, probably my imagination, but I followed the sound of it anyway. As I went, it grew louder, bit by bit, until I could tell it was someone sobbing pretty hard. I pushed past a large bush and saw Ksenia at the base of a tree sobbing.

"Hey! Ksenia! It's Red!"

I trotted to her and saw her arms were bleeding somewhat, scraped from the branches or falling or something. She stopped for a second and I extended my hand to her to help her up.

"C'mon. We've gotta get into town before the next bus leaves."
"There are no absolute rules of conduct, either in peace or war. Everything depends on circumstances."

-Leon Trotsky-

“Writing fiction is the act of weaving a series of lies to arrive at a greater truth.”
— Khalid Hosseini, Author