Young Writers Society

The Four Colonies {Started/Accepting Characters}

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:56 pm
Redfang18 says...

Lester Shiva
Phoenix, Arizona

I heard something coming and warned Sarah in Old Shifter, "You should take cover." Ten knives came our way and missed us by either a hair or two feet. I cursed in another tongue and hissed, "If I ever find the owner of these daggers, I'll kill that person with my own two hands."
Sarah said soothingly, "Easy there, sugar. Let's not get our britches in a bunch." She took a knife and studied it. "Holy codfish! Look at these knives."
I took another and eyed it carefully. There was a nasty scent on the handle. The smell was like smoke and...I sniffed at it and caught the scent of brewing tea. Tea meant the owner was from England, but smoke? I felt the scales on my back rattle. I murmured, "Just my bad luck."
Sarah asked in English, "What is it, Lester?"
I answered grimly, "You're being targeted by a demon. The smell of smoke says it all. Whoever sent that demon after you probably didn't know the demon's not a sharp shot. Why are you targeted, I'll probably never know."
Look down and show some mercy if you can.
Look down, look down, upon your fellow man.

~~~Les Miserables

32 Reviews

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:00 pm
View Likes
Redfang18 says...

Sarah Arceus

The knife I was holding had a brown blade. I gave it to Lester and asked, "What do you make of this?"
Lester had the blade up to his nose and sniffed at it. His calm face suddenly went predatory. He answered, "It's stained in blood. The demon who had this must've used it to kill someone." He gave the blade a lick, then grimanced. "It's shapeshifter's blood."
I asked, "What clan?"
Lester's face went calm again, but then looked upset.
"What's wrong, Lester?"
Lester started to burst into tears. "It's the Red Panther's blood. Your mother's blood. A demon killed your mother."
Suddenly I was about to cry. I never knew my mother. I never saw her in my life. As tears rolled down my face, I started to sob. I asked softly, "Will you...hold me?"
Lester nodded and spread black bat-like wings. As he held me against his chest, his wings embraced us both and we cried together. He whispered, "I know how you feel, Sarah. I also lost my mother, so I feel your pain." With a grunt, he lifted me up and began to rock me from side to side. "I can understand how it is to lose a parent, but for your father's sake I ask of you to be strong. We need to be strong, for the ones we lost and the ones we have still."

Spoiler! :
If this is too much of a tear-jerker, just let me know.

~~~Les Miserables

489 Reviews

Reviews: 489
Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 am
Dreamwalker says...

No worries, Fang! It was sad but interesting ^_^

Kirun:

There was nothing really quite like riding, thats for sure.

We careened through the air at an undeniably accelerating speed, that would slow only when she needed to smell. She would never stop. No, stopping wasn't necessary. It was all purely visible within her heart just how far her memory could span. If anything, it was nice not having time to speak. At least then I wouldn't find the reason to say anything that would have been embarrassing on my part.

A good time to relax and figure things out, especially about this girl.

Her muscles were taut, wiry things that continued to strain themselves ever further. With every step she took, I feared exhaustion. With every panted breathe I sought even some form of weakness. None of this became apparent. She was so much stronger than I could possibly imagine.

Usually this would be the time I would chance a look at the eyes of whoever sparked my curiosity. The eyes were a direct link to the brain. The eyes, in all there beauty, could defeat someones carefully collected facade. If only I could see her eyes... for surely I would know what she wanted with me. Know what she didn't feel I deserved to know in words, if she even knew. There was something odd about the entire atmosphere of this trip, to be completely honest, that made me question my ever agreeing. Was it that she wanted me to be here at all for a purpose, or did she even know the purpose? All these were questions left unanswered.

"We're making good headway," she stated through clenched teeth, never tearing her eyes away from the path at hand. "We're coming close now."

How long had it been since we started? I couldn't recall. It all seemed so far beyond me, now.

And when the light started peeking over the horizon, I had half-expected it to be some trick of the eye. Time had never been a topic I cared much about. Elves age slowly. In fact, some of the elders from the first Dyrad clan before the colonies formed were still living to this day. To die was something I subsequently never thought of. At least, not in the old age sense. To live each day was to live each second. A year could go by and I would not feel at loss.

But for some reason, the amount of time that floated by astounded me.
Suppose for a moment that the heart has two heads, that the heart has been chained and dunked in a glass booth filled with river water. The heart is monologuing about hesitation and fulfillment while behind the red brocade the heart is drowning. - R.S

32 Reviews

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm
Redfang18 says...

Lester Shiva
Phoenix, Arizona

As Sarah cried in my arms, I pried her mind to know her personal history and to check if she knew the Red Panther. To my surprise and horror, Sarah had an awful childhood. Her foster mother tried to kill her every two weeks of the child's life during her stay in the house. The tyke was only six when she knew she wasn't human. Since then, Sarah became a panther and killed her foster mother as revenge for all the hell Sarah was put through. She learned her real mother was dead since Sarah was a month old and at seventeen years old, she pursued her father and lived with him since. I pitied poor Sarah at that moment. She lost her mother at such a young age and never knew her father until last year.
I inhaled through my nose to take in Sarah's scent. As a shapeshifter, I recognize who's from what clan by smell. The scent of cats and Chinese papyrus was unmistakable. But what of the scent of a dogwood tree? Surely she should know about that. I ran through her memory bank and found almost every information there is about the colonies. She knew she had the scent of a dogwood tree. So did her father. I bit my tongue from saying anything. I learned a little too much already.

~~~Les Miserables

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:14 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Raegan Millahan | In another room of Sarah's cottage

Raegan flipped the pages of the book restlessly, a smudge in the calmness that was Sarah's cottage. Thankfully, the curtains here shielded the room from the sunlight unlike the hotel room they were in previously. Setting the book back on a shelf clumsily, Raegan turned around and stared at Zenkile, who stared back.

"Sarah sure seems taken up with our strange new companion." Raegan told him drily. "Wonder why?"

Zenkile shrugged. "Don't ask me, I know him even less than you do."

"Oh sure, and I knew he was a Shiva dragon the moment I laid eyes on him." She called at him in the same dry manner. "I do wonder exactly how you knew."

"Don't ask." Zen called back. "I wouldn't want you to - "

"Want me to what, exactly?" Raegan's dark eyes glinted dangerously. Before he could form a reply, however, there was a shout and the sound of sobbing; her ears perked up and she turned towards the door. Zenkile also reacted, frowning.

"What the heck's going on?" With that, she turned the knob and ran down the hallway, almost panicking. Had that damned dragon attacked Sarah?
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

32 Reviews

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:33 pm
Redfang18 says...

Lester Shiva

I heard running, then smelled the scent of panic. Sarah was still crying on my shoulder and in my arms. The way she was clinging to me reminded me of myself when Mother died. When I saw Raegan run through the door, the scales on my back rattled. I had no time to take a little trip down Memory Lane and Raegan's mind was shooting daggers at me. I knew why. She thought I hurt Sarah and probably attempted to attack her.
Raegan snapped, "Let her go!"
I said quickly and nervously, "It's not what you think. I never hurt someone unless the person hurts me. I didn't do anything to hurt Sarah. Honest as an innocent mortal child!"
Sarah sniffled and said, "He's telling the truth, Raegan."

~~~Les Miserables

66 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:15 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Raegan Millahan | Sarah's cottage

Raegan took a deep breath and looked around the room. There were traces of blood all over the place; the ten knives buried in the floor, and one in Lester's hand glinted dangerously red, as he held Sarah with the other - Raegan hissed.

"Oi. What are you doing with that knife in your hand?!"

Lester scratched his cheek. "Well." He glanced at Raegan warily. His hesitation was all the reason she needed; Raegan launched herself at Lester, ignoring Sarah's "No!". He evaded easily, but had a bewildered expression on his face. Sarah began to say something.

"Raegan, I'm honest, he did nothing wrong - "

"I don't believe you, you might be hypnotized or worse!" Raegan gritted through her teeth and glared at Lester. Zenkile hung back cautiously on the other side of the door.

"Who do you think you are, mister?! You lay one more finger on Sarah, and I'll - "

"You'll what, kill me?"

"I might."

32 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:45 pm
Redfang18 says...

Sarah Arceus

I couldn't believe what Raegan just said. If I were hypnotized, I wouldn't be crying. I decided to that desperate times call for desperate measures. Glancing at Zen, I called, "Fetch me the ropes!"
Zen went through the hall and came back with two rolls of multi-colored rope.
Taking the ropes from Zen, I went to business. I spread my wings and grabbed Raegan by the shirt. Holding her with my wings, I tied her up and gently set her on a chair. I hissed, "I will not have any blood spilled in my house. When you threaten someone who's really comforting me, I'm the one drawing the line." I set my wings aside. "You better learn not to jump to conclusions, Raegan. That kind of thing is gonna be the death of you, one of these days."
Lester sighed and said, "Thanks for saving my scales, Sarah."
I took the other roll and said, "You're next, just to be sure. We can do this the easy way or the hard way. Take yer pick."
Lester sighed again and came up to me. "I won't fight. We'll do it the easy way." He just stood still as I tied him to another chair, so calm and quiet.
I looked at Zen. "Care to join the party?"
Zen shook his head and sat down on the couch, his face a tad nervous.
Last edited by Redfang18 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~~~Les Miserables

32 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm
Redfang18 says...

Zenkile Celebi

Sarah was not very happy. That I knew because her nostrils were flaring. When Sarah was that pissed, it was better you try and do what she says until she calms down. Raegan didn't look too happy either. I could tell just by looking at her glare at Lester, who was as cool as a cucumber. I decided to try and reason with Raegan. Getting up from the couch, I walked to Raegan and said calmly, "Ya know, you're the first girl since Sarah at twelve years old to hull me from Point A to Point B with the help of friends."
Raegan didn't answer to me. She just glared at Lester, odviously still pissed at him.
I didn't know what I was thinking. Suddenly I said, "You look cute when you're angry." That just rolled off my tongue. I couldn't believe what I just said. Behind me, I heard Lester chuckling and Sarah giggling. What was so funny?

~~~Les Miserables

66 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Raegan Millahan | Cottage

Raegan's head shot towards Zenkile, a disbelieving look in her eyes. "What was that again?" She growled at him. "I dare you to call me cute again." Zenkile squirmed and grinned in a silly manner. Raegan rolled her eyes and looked towards the other pair. "And what are you two laughing at? Wasn't this a battle-field just moments ago?"

Lester coughed lightly as Sarah's grin shrunk. She put a hand over her mouth, stopping her smile. "Yes, I suppose that's right. And whose fault was that, hm?"

"I just don't get why you have to trust that stupid dragon, Sarah!" Raegan scowled back. "We barely know anything about him!"

"Just because you don't, doesn't mean I don't." Sarah smiled cryptically at her. "Raegan, you're pretty good for an Assassin. But - "

"But what?" Raegan glanced at Lester, wondering what his reaction to knowing she was an Assassin would be.

32 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:05 pm
Redfang18 says...

Lester Shiva

Raegan looked at me when Sarah mentioned her as an Assassin. Obviously she was hoping I would react to the knowledge of her true status. Her mind was on fear. She was hoping I would be scared of her.
To her surprise, I said calmly, "Don't think I didn't know the real you, Raegan. I knew about the whole time." I grinned as I looked at Zenkile, whose face was turning red. "You know, I think Zenkile likes you."
Sarah giggled and teased, "Zenny's in love."
Zenkile snapped, "I don't see you crushing on somebody, Sarah."
Suddenly I heard scales rattling. I said, "That was not me." A Shiva's scales tend to rattle when either upset or angry, depending on how bad it was. The rattling was crazy and loud. I eyed Sarah, who was spreading silver dragon wings. I snapped back at Zenkile, "Raegan's not human at all! She's an Assassin vampire!"
Zenkile snapped, "I couldn't care less."
Sarah growled, "Take it back, Zenkile. Or I'll eat you alive. You know I can do that. You saw me eat a boar alive once."
I gulped. A Shiva's temper can make the Shiva very hostile, just hostile enough to kill anybody in less than a heartbeat. I said, "Better take it back while she's still below the boiling point, Zenkile."
Zenkile said quickly and nervously, "Alright alright alright. I take it back!" He looked at Raegan nervously. "Help me!"

~~~Les Miserables

66 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:15 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Raegan Millahan

Raegan rolled her eyes. "Help yourself first, for crying out loud - stop asking me for every little thing!" Raegan shifted under her ropes. "If you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly in any position to help you, Zen!" She looked back at Sarah. "And you call me impulsive. I don't understand what you're getting so worked up over."

Sarah turned threateningly towards the redhead. "Say that again, Raegan? You might not have noticed, but I'm not very happy right now."

Raegan sighed. "I'm just saying, don't take everything so personally, please?"

Zenkile was grinning uncomfortably. "Thanks for helping...?"

"Shut it."

32 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm
Redfang18 says...

Sarah Arceus

Later that night...

Although it wasn't fair to Raegan, I released Lester and put Zen in charge of Raegan. Lester got off easy for good behavior. I was tempted to let Raegan go, but I wasn't one of those girls who rather take such a risk. Raegan didn't trust Lester, I knew that quite clearly. I just sat there by the hearth in the form of a little silver tabby cat, keeping myself quiet as I went through my thoughts. There was something about Lester that fasicnated me and made something in me want him, but I couldn't figure it out. Sitting sphinx-like by the hearth, I just stared at the flames.
Lester sat lotus-style next to me. He said calmly, "For a partial blood shapeshifter, you sure have the nerve to get angry at almost anything."
I returned to my human form and said, "I'm like that because I'm emotionally unstable. Raegan doesn't know that, but Zen does. I just don't know how to tell Raegan the truth about my mother. I mean, Raegan seems to just hate our kind and I have to put up with it." I switched tongues. "You don't know how bad it feels to be secretive in front of your own friends and family."
Lester began speaking in that same language I was speaking. "That's where you're wrong," he whispered. "I know how bad it feels. I've kept my past a secret from the vampire who made me this way. I've kept it a secret for seven centuries and plan to keep it that way."
I guessed, "You're taking your true past to the grave?"
Lester nodded. We just sat there for a small while, then he stood up and started to walk away. There I saw what I never knew I could see: that black dragon on his back. "You're the first in forever to know the truth about me, dragon's child. If it's for your health, take my secret to the grave with you."
I swore I would, then jumped into his arms. I felt his wings cling me to him as he carried me into my bedroom. With indescribable grace, he shut the door and locked us in. He wanted me, the smell of pleasure spewing out of his human skin. As we locked lips, we were lost in each other's arms.

~~~Les Miserables

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:15 pm
Clay says...

Name: Human form - Daniel Farrell, fire demon - Ira, Earth demon - Sloth

Race: Demon

Appearance: In human form - Daniel is 6’5, well built and toned and has one dark green and light blue eye with a killers intent hidden within them. He has brown spiked up hair. He wears a heavy black trench coat with only three straps across the upper and lower chest and stomach hold it closed leaving the bottom open showing his black baggy jeans which nearing the bottom of his military boots. His body apart from his neck up is covered in scars and tattoos, which were inspired by times in his life, both happy times, and sad times. Only scar on his face starts under his chin, up over his mouth then disappears on the cheekbone, 1 centimetre from his right eye. If he uses his duplication ability the way to tell them apart is the duplication has blonde hair.
In demon form- there is two first is the fire demon, he has black lightweight armour covering him, his head was a burned brown colour with bone like spikes covering everywhere but the face, he had to eye sockets but only one eye, he was always bares his K-9 like teeth with a unwelcoming smile. The second was the earth demon, he was a mysterious phantom, he had a cloak covering him entirely. When you look at him only his blue eyes glow. If he uses his arms they appear or form from his cloak covered in the mist like cloak.

Personality: Flaws/weaknesses - He can appear to be anti-social and a loose wire and because he is two demons in human form he hears the voice of the other who isn’t controlling the body in his head and he often replies and has arguments in public, most thinks he‘s mad. He is inpatient and due to his age he is lazy, uncaring and thinks he knows best. He greatest love strangely the peaceful out doors, he enjoys sitting on a hill top watching the world round him past him by. And a good fight with a powerful opponent. He enjoys to dance between life and death from time to time as if to know if he’s still alive.

Power: He can use fire and earth in anyway his see fit, and in human form he can gain three times the strength of a normal human but if he does it can drain him of energy quickly, leaving him defenceless. He can duplicate himself with the earth demon controlling the body but if they use it for a long period of time it can be life threatening and drains him of all his energy and they can only go a mile away from each other as a invisible barrier stops them from going any farther.

Combat skill or weapon: he uses a axe that is near half a metre long with a slightly curved black half the size of the axe, and for close combat a short sword and duel black custom colt 1191 pistols with a extended magazine holding 16 rounds. He might use, his samurai sword that he carries around with him, which was a gift from his sister which she made herself and engraved it with a message, but its rare.

History: He was born was in the 13th century, and grew up with his half demon half something else sister Maria, Daniel never found of what other half Maria was, but he didn’t care, they were siblings and were more like twins, both interested in the world, both naïve. They came from a rich family, but the parents were cold, they didn’t hate their children, they just weren’t there for them like ghosts. So they decide to travel and ended up in Japan where the samurai thrived. They learned their ways, ideals and lived by the sword, well Maria was an exception as normally women didn’t fight. After the fall of the samurai Daniel and Maria moved round the world until they landed in 17th century France, that was they time Maria disappeared, Daniel didn’t take to it well, she was the only person who understood Daniel broken and left alone he moved to the UK after a world hunt for him and stopped there and remained there to present time. He became a gun for hire, willing to kill, steal, kidnap, anything, partly for the money, partly just because he could. And still searches for his sister and would do anything to get her back.

Dwelling: He moves from place to place every few years but mostly likes places with countryside scenery and doesn’t stay in major cities for long

Main Targets: Lester Shiva and Sarah Arceus

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:16 pm
Clay says...

Daniel Farrell
Scotland

Walking down a rocky countryside road I listened as the sounds of cars zooming back and forth with humans living a short and near meaningless lives, I have always envied that life, a short life with precious memories.
“You’re like a broken record, you know that?” said sloth, his voice friendly and sarcastic.
“What do you want?”
“Stretching my legs if you don’t mind.” He replied, it was the same after every job.
Reaching further up a Scottish hill a small group of oak tree sat looking over the hilltop like guardians. They were probably fifty or sixty years old. As I took a seat among the over grown and visible roots and place my samurai sword carefully beside me. I reached out my hand as if I was shaking someone’s hand, from the ground a model of myself appeared holding my hand then the brown exterior fell of revealing a blonde haired me. He drifted, placed his hands behind he head and lent against the tree beside me, we both let of a sigh of relief.
“Here, clean the blood of the short sword and I’ll let the client know the target is dead.” Sloth said handing me a white cloth and then proceeded to call the client.
Smartarse, I had a cloth too, but I didn’t rise to stupid games and took the Romeman short sword that sat along my left leg in its sheath. The blood shined in the yellow and orange light of the setting sun. I looked ahead as I cleaned the blood, looking over the urban roads among the beautiful countryside and the light of the sun touch my skin softly like a baby’s hand or the warmth of a lover.
Wiping of the last off the blood my relic sword and placed it back in its sheath, I rested my head in my hands against the tree I thought about my last remark. Relic sword, I reminded myself I too was a relic of a many forgotten and known eras. I was a walking museum down to the last blood cell.
“Hey, I’m gonna go to the pub down the road, you coming.” Sloth asked putting away the phone.
“No” I muttered closing my eyes. Just don’t go any further that a mile and nearly kill us again! I said in my head to him, he rise his arm and waved back, reassuring me.
I listened to the sounds of nature, I’m a peaceful person which most people don’t see, I hear birds, the wind blowing and… footsteps? Behind me? I pulled out my Custom Colt and aimed it round the tree, still with my eyes shut and said, don’t creep so heavily if your trying to come up behind me.” I waved my gun signalling him round with the gun still following him. When he stood in front of me, blocking the sun, I opened my eyes to see a business man, a human before me holding a envelope.
“Well, give it to me.” I said, setting down the pistol awaiting the envelope to land on my lap.
An boring job, I assumed this vampire named Lester was a threat of some sort, the same for Sarah Arceus, I had to tail them for £350,000 but then I read further to some ancient Demon language which the writer claims to have information on my sister! I gritted my teeth, was it lies, could I afford to turn down this job? No.. No I couldn’t.
“I’ll accept the job.” I same announced, standing and letting Sloth know the situation.
I picked up the samurai sword, the meaning of it amplified itself, my hand tightened around it with each step I took walking closer to the small remote village.
I could still hear the footsteps of the man round 15 metres behind me, was he wanting to accompany to my house? “Why are you following me?” I asked as I continued walking and like a radio, I made sure Sloth heard what was happening. He knew what to do.
“I’ am to report your findings to your employer, and accompany you as insurance you won’t do anything rash.” The human said, did he know I was a demon? Not likely, I haven’t shifted to my original form in centuries, and changed me name to insure no one knew me.
Try to threaten me? Ha! Humans are so… amusing.

In the past I would definitely say who you would find inside. Not so much today. Place is bonkers …. As is everywhere
— Greg Specter