z

Young Writers Society

Curse of the Marie Celeste (starting, accepting characters!)

Do you want characters on both ships, or just one?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:59 pm

One ship
77%
Two ships
23%

Total votes : 13

61 Reviews

Reviews: 61
Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:44 am
View Likes
RedBird says...

Thank you!
I now have three first mate submissions, so unless there are any more submissions before tomorrow, I'll make my selection, and tell everyone tomorrow.
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."
~Will Henry, on Typhoeus magnificum

61 Reviews

Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:49 pm
View Likes
RedBird says...

Here we go! All of the first mate submissions were really good, so I had a hard time selecting...

The role of first mate will go to piepiemann22, whose character is named Simon Grains.

If you didn't get the role, but you still want to be in the storybook, by all means, post your profiles. They were great!
And remember...A portkey can be any sort of harmless object...A football...or a dolphin.
~Snape, AVPM

"You are the egg, you are the chrysalis, you are the progeny. You are the rot that falls from stars."

185 Reviews

Reviews: 185
Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:00 am
piepiemann22 says...

Name: Simon Grains

Position on ship: First-Mate

Personality: Simon is a rather straight foreword person. He's not afraid to speak his mind and tell it like it is. He's very respectful of the chain of command and though his mouth tends to run his actions do not.

Brief history: Simon was the son of a baker and a baker’s wife. He left home when he was fourteen because he didn't want to live the simple, boring, and poor life his parents wanted him to. He joined the Royal Army three months latter. He trained in the use of firearms and swordsmanship (Showing no such talent for) and went on to join the standing army.

He remained in the military for about five years before he was stationed near port. He fell in love with the sea and its devious nature. Simon immediately sent in a letter of transfer, but was denied. Knowing for the first time what he truly wanted to do Simon left deserted the military and took to piracy fulfilling his dreams. A life that was never boring.

Strengths/weaknesses: Simon is an excellent shot. He can fire anything that uses black powder and enjoys making the occasional explosive. His major weakness is the fact he can't hold a sword. He never really grasped how to use one and prefers just to flip his musket around and use it as a club then to pick up a blade.

Other: Up for love I suppose
I will always fight back, no matter what.

61 Reviews

Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:59 pm
RedBird says...

Hopefully, we'll get a few more people in the next day, and then we can start on Saturday...
~Snape, AVPM

61 Reviews

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:36 pm
RedBird says...

Okay, this is officially open, but I can't start right now...too busy. Feel free to jump in!
~Snape, AVPM

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:30 am
Camulaeus says...

Hey I'm sorry but I can't do his anymore: got a bad term grade and parents are cracking down on my schooling.
With friends and courage one can stand against all foes, for neither man nor God can conquer those who are not alone

"109 in the sky but the pigs won't quit"

GLBT it doesn't matterone thing doesn't change who we are

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:54 am
phantom of the potter says...

I'd like a place in the SB, if there is still any room. Let me know.
"The grasshopper!... Mind the grasshopper!... A grasshopper not only turns, it hops!... It hops!... And it hops jolly high!" ~Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

61 Reviews

Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:37 pm
RedBird says...

There is still room! We technically should have started a while ago, but I couldn't get onto a computer...feel free to join!
~Snape, AVPM

61 Reviews

Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:46 pm
RedBird says...

I can finally write a decent-length post...if anyone still wants to do this, feel free to jump in!

Nicodaemus, Captain of the Syren,

I stand near the helm, looking out at the calm sea. The salty smell tangs the air and I breathe deeply. It's good to be sailing again. I glance back down at the main deck, where my crew is busy. In the shadow of the mast, a man is chained to the deck, sitting with his head between his legs. I smile to myself. Then again, taking to port was all worth it now that we have the information we need. I stare again at the horizon, which tinted a strange green color. Excitement races through me, laced with fear. The Sargasso Sea.

Abruptly, I turn and walk down to the main deck, and stride over to the man chained at the base of the mast. As I pass, calls of "Hullo, cap'n," ring out. I smile and wave them off. When I reach the man, I nudge him gently with the tip of my boot.

"Get up please, Mister Grant," I say pleasantly. He looks up at me fearfully. I sigh, "Look, me and my crew don't want to hurt you. Really. Like I told you, we just want your, ah, knowledge of the area that you so kindly mentioned when we were back in London. Give us that, and we'll take you to what ever port you would like. Free of charge."

This earns a laugh from nearby crew. The Grant is still looking at me through fear-stained eyes. I lean down at put my face close to his, "We've reached the Sea of Weeds, Grant. Now kindly tell us where we might find the Marie Celeste.
~Snape, AVPM

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:58 pm
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

This looks so interesting! Especially since, after seeing Pirates of the Carribean 4 four times, I've been in the pirate mood.
Last edited by MisunderstoodDreamer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:52 pm
MisunderstoodDreamer says...

Name: Sarah Morgan

Position on ship: I'm not sure who is still in this or what positions are open right now

Personality: sneaky, daring, very smart, mischievous, very tough, has a way of getting what she wants all the time, not open to anyone, doesn't trust anyone, thinks fast, sarcastic, is a bit of a smart-alec, people underestimate her (which she hates) - people think she's always bitter but she's really sweet, she just has a lot of anger bottled up inside

Brief history: Her mother died when she was a little girl, and her father abused her. When she was 13 she ran away and signed up to be a crew member of the Syren. She learned how to care for herself, became an excellent swordsman, and most importantly, she learned the ways of pirates and how to survive as one.

Strengths: she's very agile, sneaky, talented swordsman, a great leader, will not accept defeat, never gives up, always gets what she wants, though she may complain a lot she always gets the job done right

Weaknesses: she has a very low temper and is very stubborn, she doesn't trust anyone, hates taking orders from others, likes to ride solo, can be very sarcastic and a smart-alec, doesn't open up to anyone

Other: hoping to find love, but isn't really looking for it
Spoiler! :
her monkey that her mother gave to her for her 8th birthday, a year before she died:
Spoiler! :
Ignore the bigger one. It's just a little older than the smaller one. It's a squirrel monkey, and his name is Rascal. :)
Last edited by MisunderstoodDreamer on Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I am a PUZZLE
yet to be put TOGETHER

But at the same time, I'm just one PIECE
still trying to figure out where I FIT IN

huh. didn't realize santa was a batman fan-
— Mageheart