z

Young Writers Society

The Emperor's City *Permission Only* (Dead)

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:42 am
SisterItaly says...

Shawnee

I bit my lip and watched the girl as she circled me wondering what angle she was playing and what sick amusement she was getting from this. My gut twisted in the horrifying idea of being forced to help in this war, and the worse idea of being thrown in the dungeon for resisting.

"P-please. Just let me go. I don't want to help and you... deep down don't want to make me." That was true, right? I hoped she didn't want to make me. "In fact, you probably don't want to be here either. Right? I mean, you have something more useful to be doing, right?" Now that had to be true.

I looked around for anything that could help me out of this. Nothing I could find useful was close enough... if only I could get these vines off my ankles. I kicked as much as I could - which already wasn't much - and sighed.

"You're probably right." She chuckled, "I do have something better to be doing, but this is more fun." She smirked and walked behind me again. I quickly turned and followed her as she walked around me.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

66 Reviews

Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:56 am
sylverdawn says...

Ravel- The Forest:

Rav groaned as the sound of arguing voices woke him. He had rolled under a bush in the forest while he was unconscious, his body instinctively hiding. A small squirrel was curled up near him. Rav liked animals, unlike people they neither tried to use him or kill him. The voices grew louder and he peered through the leaves to see an elf circling a cloaked figure.

By the vines twined around the other girl, the elf had an earth affinity. They were the best trackers in the world. She would most likely notice him the instant he moved, but Rav couldn't stay crouched in the bush forever he had his orders. These two struck him as having sharp instincts, they would sense someone watching.

Rav shifted onto his knees and peered through the canopy at the sky, the castle was to the north. That was where he needed to begin his search. Before he left, the devil in him made him ignite the vines twined around the girl. Rav's control was precision tuned. The flash of heat turned the plants to ash but barely charred her clothes. Stifling laughter Rav bolted from under the bush and deeper into the woods. His long legs carrying him north towards the castle.

Behind him the tracker and her prey yelped in surprise. But Rav was fast enough that they would have only a fleeting impression of his back.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

47 Reviews

Reviews: 47
Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:46 am
View Likes
Skorpionne says...

November | The Stables

The scent of must, straw, and horses washed over me. After the cleanliness of the courts, it was a welcome relief. I found it hard to believe that anyone could enjoy such unnatural sterileness, but that was why I preferred horses. Horses, I understood.
"Sir?" Turning, I found a young boy, hair tousled by the wind, clutching a scrap of parchmnt so hard his hand shook.
"What is it, lad?" I grunted, turning away. At this, the boy dropped his parchment at my feet, and took off. Was I really so frightening? Dismissing the thought, I picked up the parchment, and with difficulty, read the spidery handwriting.

COG needed at cort. Go strayt their.

Well, back to court I must go.
"No rest for the wicked, eh, Thunder?" The black stallion merely snuffed, and nibled at his oats.
Still chuckling at the boy's spelling, I ascended the stairs.
Horses didn't judge you. As long as you had an apple, they didn't care.
I've learned so much from people who never existed - Unknown

66 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:53 pm
SisterItaly says...

Shawnee

With my ankles free I took a run for it, I heard the tracker shout something but I wasn't going to stop. I pulled my hood and sprinted towards the city. I could hear her running close behind, and kept my feet up to avoid being bound again. The tracker was gaining on me, and my throat was getting dry.

I broke through the tree line and into the city. I spit off to the side as I ran, in an attempt to get some moisture back in my mouth. I wasn't used to running like this. People stared at me as I rushed by, but I couldn't be sure if it was worry, disgust or panic. Everything blurred as I ran past it. I knew exactly where I was heading, it had saved me once before.

As I ran past the tavern Mr. Hall pushed down some barrels behind me and yelled at me to run faster. I didn't get the chance to thank him, I had already turned down the next street.
"I'll never be part of your disgusting little war!" I screamed back at her, racing up the church steps.

As I reach the top I heaved the door open and ran in. The glass pane windows showed images of what Jarelle looks like according to humans. My mind wandered off for a moment, to the man from the forest. As soon as I heard her yell at me again I stopped. She grabbed my arm and panted for a moment, I let her catch her breath.
"I call sanctuary." I spat.

When anyone - Especially a healer - calls sanctuary in the house of Jarelle they are untouchable. Until they leave of course. I wouldn't doubt it if the tracker stayed out their until I left.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

The Book.

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:34 pm
Theodorable says...

Elphame

When the vines around Shawnee's ankles burst into flames, Elphame had a sneaking suspicion that it had been her brother. But she had no time to think on that piece of information because Shawnee had made a run for it.

Elphame smiled, Good luck little one. She took off after her, into the city walls.

When someone pushed barrels into her path she spat at the person, but avoided them easily using the earth to carry her over them. Taking the next turn Elphame knew where she was heading, the house of Jarelle was used for sanctuary by many. But the one rule was that the sanctuary lasted until the person left, and Elphame had discipline to outlast any human. This was going to be easy.

Grabbing Shawnee's arm Elphame caught her breath. She looked at Shawnee and the girl spat out, "I call sanctuary."

Elphame smiled, "Of course you do, but know this: I will outlast you. There is no way to escape, these stone walls may be a haven for you, but they are also a prison." With that Elphame turned to leave and set up her spot to keep track of all who entered and left Jarelle's house.
Driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cake hole. -Dean, Supernatural

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:28 pm
Synnoev says...

Bristan|Throne Room

Bristan watched silently, trying to keep up with the events taking place. Despite repeated encounters, he still felt slightly daunted by the prescence of the General and the authority he managed to command. He watched the tense exchange between Altair and Seghed unfold, trying to make sense of all that they were saying. What was said about the Prince and his father... Bristan frowned. He really needed to improve his understanding of the situation if this shadowing idea was ever going to work. Turning to his father, he gestured to the pack resting in his hands.

"Father, may I-"

He was cut short by the arrival of someone into the Throne Room. A quick glance upwards told Bristan that it was a Healer; the bright blue hair grabbing attention before features bgan to be properly recognised. A few moments more of watching and Bristan realised it was Niton, the Royal Healer, and sat up strater with interest. If he was here, it probably meant something had come up about the prisoner who had just been taken in...

Both Seghed and the General also ceased their thinly veiled argument; both nodded respectfully to the Healer and stepped slightly aside to allow him to make his way closer to the thrones. As he reached the royals, Niton bowed slightly before straightening, a terse expression on his face.

"I'm sure you have heard that a Healer has been taken captive," he began wearily, and my father nodded in silence. "She will live, of course," Niton continued, "but I am uncertain of your intentions with her. If I were to know what condition you wish her to be in, then the most adequate treatment may be begun." He ended there, watching the Emperor with a mixture of impatience and expectancy.

I hope this is okay. :)

66 Reviews

Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:12 pm
sylverdawn says...

Seghed- The Throne Room:

"Pompous ass, just like his brother." Seghed thought irritably, he nodded at the General and the royals and slipped out the same way he came in. He wondered idly how long it would take Altair to investigate the passageway, and ask him how many others there were he didn't know about.

The passage was long, but straightforward. Seghed quickly made his way to the other exit and wended his way through the streets of the Outer City. The rooms he had rented were in a decent quarter of the city, not wealthy but not poverty stricken either. They were on the second floor, giving him a fine view of Castle Lyall over the roof tops. Seghed dropped his dust streaked cloak on the floor before sitting in the open window. Watching the activity on the street below.

Ravel- The Outer City:

Rav watched the bustling streets curiously as he moved steadily towards the Inner City. A second wall seperated the noble district and the castle from the rest of the city. It was meant to be a last line of defense against invading forces. He stopped momentarily at a vendor, making sure to purchase the meat pie with Lyansan coin. He leaned against the wall, eating the spiced meat with relish. Ahead a shouting match started on the street and Rav drifted over to find out what was happening.

*Could someone please interact with my characters, I'm bored.*

novel.php?id=1157

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:06 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Isolde

The necklace in her hand couldn't possibly be the amount the merchant was asking for - in a single glance, Isolde could see that it was made of a cheap metal, certainly not gold as the merchant was claiming. With a small 'tsk', she laid it down on the cart and moved on - only to be stop as she felt a hand on her shoulder. "Where do you think you're going with that necklace?"

Isolde turned around, and there the merchant was - big, burly, and angry. Isolde put her hand on the hilt of the dagger she had hidden in her dress out of reflex - one wrong move, and she would've slit his throat. She relaxed, however, and composed herself - he had obviously not recognized her. "I didn't take your necklace. It's right there on the cart."

"Oh no you don't. I saw you take it." He put out his hand. "I demand compensation for it, miss."

Were their people sunk so low as to accuse others of stealing when they didn't? Isolde smiled calmly. Too calmly. "I guess you caught me. But if you don't report this to the castle, I will let you come with me and have a look at some treasure I have stowed away. What do you say?"

"I'm no fool to trust a thief!" He sneered at her. "Hand over the money. Now!"

This was the chance - people had started turning around to look at them. Isolde suddenly switched tactics as she jerked her shoulder away from him. "Please don't hurt me. I haven't done anything wrong."

"You little thief!" And he reached for her, his big, brawny hands grabbing at her clothes...and she slipped away into the crowd, leaving no trace behind her. Or so she thought...

-----------

Christan

The throne room was a splendor of grandiosity - if Christan was asked to name another place he had seen richer than this, he'd be quite stumped. Normally, he didn't like being here - it smelled too much of the old Emperor, the prince and that weird girl, Isolde - a strange, mixed-up bunch. The other Captain of the Guard - November - was already there.
Christan stood, waiting for the discussion to start.

(OOC: Ravel can get in on the fight Isolde just started, I guess. I know it was over-done, but I couldn't help showing how manipulative she was. And yeah...help with Christan? )
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

24 Reviews

Reviews: 24
Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:35 pm
Kelcia says...

Jarelle | The Throne Room

Elleraj stepped into the throne room right on time – as usual.

“You’re relieved,” he muttered to one of the guards by the door, who nodded, and made a discreet exit. Elleraj took up the vacated position, and tried to act as if he wasn’t listening to the conversation in the hall.

“…What condition you wish her to be in, then the most adequate treatment may be begun." Niton was saying. The Emperor sighed, and sat down in the throne. The poor man was going grey, Jarelle reflected. Possibly giving himself an ulcer, too. He’d have to have a quick word with him about that. But who was it they had been talking about? Clearly, they had taken a new captive. Interesting. A captive, no less, that was important enough for the royal healer to attend to. Jarelle wondered what Niton was up to.

Christan entered the hall. The Emperor didn’t seem to notice. “Very well,” the old man said with a sigh. “Keep her weak, but alive. And make sure that she can’t escape. We need to question the healer as soon as possible.” Jarelle’s eyes nearly popped out of his head. How had he missed this? Which one of his children was imprisoned? How could this have happened? It was all he could do to keep silent.

He gazed meaningfully at the Emperor. The old man met his gaze for a second, before looking away. Of all the humans here, the Emperor was the only one who knew that the guard Elleraj was actually the God Jarelle. He was, consequently, the only one who knew that the god knew that they were imprisoning one of his children. It wasn’t a happy situation.

But Jarelle wasn’t angry – just shocked at his own negligence. And curious. Definitely curious.
Mutant Plot Bunnies

Is it just me, or are the plot bunnies taking advantage of my ADD?

OmnomnomRandomPlotDetourOmnomnom

Right.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:16 pm
Synnoev says...

Bristan|Throne Room

The Emperor sighed wearily. "That will be enough. I wish to be alone." He waved a hand absently, then leaning back and resting his head on one of his hands. Bristan hesitated.

"Father-"

"You too, Bristan. Go now, please."

A frown flickered across the prince's face. "But Father, I wish to read the report. You ask for me to participate in these discussions but don't let me know anything! How am I supposed to-"

The Emperor cut him off with an abrupt gesture, straightening up again with his brow furrowed. "You may read the report, Bristan. Here. If you happen upon anything enlightening, I'm sure there will be time later. But for now, you must go."

The prince took the report, giving a short, repectful bow before turning to leave. At the throne room door, the guard's gaze flickered over him with mild interest, before the doors closed behind him and he was left in the hallway, the general and healer both making their way back to whatever they had been doing beforehand.

Bristan sighed, wondering where Isolde had gotten to now. Realising he hadn't seen her for the best part of four hours, he sighed, then headed towards the gardens.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm
*singerofthenight* says...

Cat: Outside the Palace Walls

To hell with it she thought, slipping silently through the crowd. Her long blonde hair billowed out behind her, flowing in the wind. Never one for customs, she slipped into the shadows, sneaking closer to her destination. Smiling, she crept up the wall easily, her heart pounding as she crawled over, landing silently on the green earth. Smiling, she glanced around her.

Finally, she thought, taking that first step into the Royal Gardens. A slight movement to her right caught her attention and she froze, unable to move. A man moved out of the shadows, his gaze coming straight to hers. Swallowing, she held her back straight, aware that she wasnt dressed like a lady should be. Her tights clung to her legs, and her blouse molded to her form, allowing fo free movement. She closed her eyes, hoping that he would leave, but when she opened them, he was walking towards her...
"Hello, is this thing on?"

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:10 pm
sylverdawn says...

*Puzzler, Shawnee's 'sanctuary' could be across from Seghed's inn if she wants help.*

Ravel- The Outer City:

Rav's jaw almost dropped when he saw the merchant accuse his own Princess of stealing. He knew the faces of all the royals from sketches that had been obtained before the war. Granted Isolde was dressed like a well to do commoner but she was clearly well off. The brute was a fool, and Rav had just found his in.

"And as a bonus I get to beat someone up." Rav thought sardonically. The Princess had drawn the attention of the crowd and almost made a clean get away. But the merchants brother had snuck up behind her and snatched her arm in a bruising grip. Clearly this was something they did fairly regularly. The fat fool never saw Rav move, the speed of an Asraad could be a terrifying thing. Rav's fist slammed into the merchants nose and Rav smiled grimly as he heard bone snap. The merchant roared and swung at him but froze as he felt the prick of steel at his throat.

"Now why don't we let the lady go." Rav drawled at the second thug. The fool stammered and let go of the Princess like she was a hot coal. Sheathing his dagger, Rav shoved one merchant at the other. His glare enough to make them slink away with their tails between their legs. Entertainment over the crowd faded away as Rav bowed elegantly to the Princess. "My name is Jaxon, Highness. Forgive my rudeness but shouldn't you have guards to stop that sort of thing."

Isolde lifted her chin and gazed haughtily at him. "I don't see that's it's any of your bussiness. How did you know who I was."

Rav smiled blithely as he lied. "I'm a mercanary Princess. I make it my bussiness to know the faces of my potential clients." He felt secure in approaching her. No one outside the Empire knew his face, and his orange eyes had been darkened to black by the eyedrops he carried for just this kind of situation. He'd heard the Princess was clever and manipulative, it would be interesting to find out who the better liar was.

novel.php?id=1157

66 Reviews

Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:55 pm
SisterItaly says...

*Sure, Cam*
Shawnee

I peaked out the door, knowing she was out there. I was trapped. I was beginning to get hungry, and tired. I kneeled down and looked up at the shrine to my father. I wasn't one to pray... but this wasn't going to be very prayer like. I sighed and put my head on my clasped hands for a moment before looking up again.

"Hey... dad? I- I know I don't pray often... but don't think of this as a prayer." I looked down and back up, thinking for a moment. "Think of it as a cry for help of sorts. There is a tracker out there... and I really don't want to be part of this war. I'm just tired of people abusing healer's powers. I never asked for it to be this way. I wanted a normal family, with you and mom. I guess what I'm saying is... or at least what I'm trying to say is I need help. I'm lost, dad. I don't know what to do." I let out a quiet sob.

Nothing happened.

I had kind of hoped it would be like in the stories my adoptive families told me. Where the gods sent a beam of light or some sort of signal right after the prayer ended. I stood up and kicked the pew in front of my, screaming in pain when I hurt my toes. This was some sort of signal all right, a signal that I was stupid for listening to that old man. Our father didn't care about us. Nonetheless I still loved him, I made myself stop thinking that for a moment and slowly walked up to his statue.

When I reach it I plopped down beside it, ready to fall asleep. I let my eyes slip shut when the door to the chapel opened.

*anyone*

The Book.

66 Reviews

Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 pm
CelticaNoir says...

Isolde

Isolde smiled. Her ears were practically ringing with the tone of his lie - she knew one when she heard one, and this person was obviously a liar. And why would a mercenary look so familiar at the same time? He was obviously elven, as well. She quickly ran his face through her memory - and a flicker of recognition sparked in her brain - for she had spent some time sending spies into the Melnarian empire, despite what her father might've told her. (He was a bit of a fool, Isolde thought.) She disguised her shock, however, and smiled blithely.

"How interesting - a fighter with brains. I haven't seen one of those in a while." Her hand reached for her dagger, just in case. Just in case he might try something. "So, Jaxon, is it? What an interesting name. And you certainly stand out. Do tell me more about yourself."

He smirked. "I hear princesses with brains are rarer than that. But for now, Your Highness, I had better be off. You may...find me again if you ask around." With that, he wrapped his cloak securely about his face and walked away, leaving a sniggering Isolde behind him.

As they say - a diamond may be found in the rough, but don't send it back to the rough, or you may just lose it.
I am the workingman, the inventor, the maker of the world's food and clothes.
I am the audience that witnesses history.
- Carl Sandburg, I am the People, the Mob

66 Reviews

Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:27 am
sylverdawn says...

Seghed- Trader Street:

Boredom soon drove Seghed from his room, and he wandered aimlessly up one street and down another. He stopped outside a House of Healing. It was small as such places went. The Sanctum was on the left, while on the right was a building that acted as an infirmary for the poor and desperate. Seghed couldn't say what made him enter the sanctum except idle curiosity.

He paused in the entrance as the young healer sat up from where she had curled up in the corner. Her hood had fallen and tangled blue hair fell around her face. Her eyes flashed with wariness as he entered. Pausing, Seghed closed the door behind him and leaned against it, not taking his eyes from the young healer. She reminded him of a young deer, elegant and lovely but ready to bolt at the wrong move. So he waited for her to make the first move.

Ravel- The Alleys:

Ravel left the main roads soon after his encounter with the Princess. Winding his way through the twisted confusing back alleys of the Outer City instead. The Lady Isolde was a dangerous opponent, only a fool would dismiss her because of her gender. Still, it didn't really matter whether she had believed Rav's lie. The seed had been planted and the Princess would come looking for him soon. The only thing in doubt was whether she would show up with a contingent of soldiers.

Eventually Rav found his way to a deserted forge. It had once been prosperous, but as the city had grown the main roads had deviated away from the blacksmith's shop. Eventually alley walls had grown up around it so the only way in was over the roof tops. Rav jumped nimbly down from the roof into the overgrown yard. The door was hanging on it's hinges, the home had clearly been stripped of all valuables years ago.

Dropping his pack on the old wooden table Ravel glanced around. The place was well hidden, hard to get to, and easily defendable. It would do for now. "Home sweet home." Rav muttered sarcastically.

Satisfied Rav sat down on the floor and stretched his legs out. Elemental Fusing always took it out of him. Rav was going to be running on half energy for at least a week. He'd relax for an hour or so and then go hunting he decided. He already had a rough idea of the area the spy would be staying. Idly he wondered how long it would take for the Princess to come looking for him. Rumour had it she was an ambitious thing.

novel.php?id=1157

The ink in which our lives are inscribed is indelible.
— Helena 'HG' Wells, Warehouse 13