Young Writers Society

Lucky Thirteen (Started)

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:34 am
Sassafras says...

Lucky Thirteen

It was told by an old witch doctor many generations before that a plague will curse the lands of M'derta, she fortold that only the thirteeth child of the thirteenth king would have a chance of stopping it and saving everyone, but only if sacrificed to Draco Anima (The Dragon's Soul), a volcano, along with The Dragon's Jewel. The Sacrifice must be wearing the Dragon's Jewel when sacrificed. The 13th child must set of to Draco Anima on the day of their thirteenth year, along with twelve other compainions called Protectoribus (Bodyguards), their job is to keep the Sacrifice safe and see to it that they make it to the volcano unharmed. The guardians were chose from birth and must risk their own lives to keep the Sacrifice, and the jewel, alive.
There will be others trying to interfeer with the journey of the Sacrifice and their Protectoribus in hopes of getting the jewel and using it's power to become all mighty. Before the day of the journey, the jewel was locked away in a diamond case which was protected by a magic spell that the witch doctor put on it right before she died, but now that the jewel is free, theives will stop at no end to get it.

Protectoribus:

Three Fighters: They fight with their hands and maybe a hidden dagger or two but only if they have to. The are they fastest of all the groups and the most quiet. They are not good with handheld weapons and don't really follow instructions well. To get them to even do the simplist task will take lots of peursuading and force, but they are a good ally if you can get them to listen. Within the three Fighters, their is one leader. Fighters give instructions to no one but other Fighters. Fighters are the secret agents of the group.

Three Knights: They fight with swords, have excellent attack and reaction speed, but lack in defense. They tend to follow orders well and will always try to step up and defend the others. Out of the three knights, there is one who is in charge of the other two, this will be the head Knight so to say. Knights tend to pratice a lot and always try their best in whatever it is they are assigned. He/she will have say in the choices made during the journey. The Knights are the muscle of the group.

Three Archers: They fight with a bow and arrow and are excellent at distance fighting, but don't fair well at close or hand-to-hand combat. They are swift, fast, flexible, stealthy, and are quick thinkers. They are usually the one's helping improve the battle plans and are great at direction. In the group of Archers, there is one who is the leader of sorts, they other two follow his command. The Archers come second in overall command to the Mages only. Archers are the planners and organizers of the group.

Three Mages: Mages are easily the smartest of the group, they fight with all types of magic, but can weild no other weapon than their staff. They do well at both close range and long range attacks, their defense bad, below even Knight standards, but they have amazing offense, the attack level can vary from how much experince they have and how much studying they've done. Out of the three mages, though all three can give instructions to the rest under them, there is one who is President, so to say. One that has major influence over them all.

The Thirteenth Child:

The Sacrifice: Has no real skills or talents, but may learn whatever they like along the way. They will be under constant watch and care and do not have much to do unless they choose to step up. They must try their best not to die!

Profiles. Will be posted in the DT DT Link:

Name:
Age(Over 20 for all Protectoribus):
Apperance(Written and a picture. I'm asking for anime/cartoon pictures because it's easier to find those types for this type of storybook):
Personality(everyone has a flaw)
History(optional):
Other:
Up for love?:

All storybook and YWS rules apply.
If you are going to dropout, PM me and let me have you betray us, trying to kill the Sacrifice or something, so we can dispose of you.
I don't mind swears but I don't drop the f-bomb every other word. I hate that.
Relationships are allowed, encouraged even, but don't let that become the focus point of the storybook.

Spots Left:

Fighters:
1.Shadow
2.Ashrae
3.Kaede (leader)

Knights:
1. Darius Kendala
2. Primula An'kae (leader)

Archers:
1.Octavian Deloranzo Ricardosa IV (leader)
2. Mikael Einstein
3. Michi

Mages:
1. Rhoswen Aurbor (Rhos)
2. Upala
3. Damien Vocifero (leader)

Sacrifice:
1. Blake Savage
Enjoy and join!
Last edited by Sassafras on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:10 pm
aweqs says...

Spoiler! :
I hope it is okay for me to start. Please tell me if I need to change anything in this post :)

Upala | Castle | Weapons Room

And then he had me, by the throat. I smiled, and sent a splash of water into his face.
" 'Ala!" I saw Damiens's lips say, wiping the water from his face. I shrugged and went to sit down at the edge of the practice ring.
Damien stood infront of me, his tall stature blocking my view of the grand Weapons Room. I read his lips saying "We were practicing physical fighting- that means not using powers!?" I sighed and rolled my eyes.
" No, seriously, what if you lose that precious necklace of yours one day, when in combat?" his lips made out- his face serious. My hand immediatley lept up to the small opal necklace which hung around my neck.

" Fine." I whined, and jumped up into the practice ring once again. He was only doing it for my own good, I supposed, and with this big task coming up, I needed to be on top of my fighting game.

I postioned myself for the fake one-on-one battle, taking my short dagger out of its sheath. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for Damien's onslaught. Ofcourse, he would never actually hurt me, but he was defintely austere about this physical combat training.
" 3, 2..." and just as Damien lept towards me, sword flying high, the Weapon Room's door flung open, revealing the skinny frame of the King's Butler.
" The others have arrived, sir," he said in his pompous manner, " and madam." The peculiar man then walked away briskly, leaving the door open for us.

I looked at Damien and he snickered, then made way for the exit. I gathered up my things then pranced after him, eager to meet our new companions...

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:59 pm
Mazzi says...

Damien|Castle|Weapons Room

Ah, Upala knew me so well, as I new her. I remember when I first saw her practicing such advanced magic for a girl her age, later when I learnt more about her history I was suprised to hear she had only been practicing for 3 years. I knew she would be a great asset to the quest's protectoribus. She has indeed developed her magic to a very high standard. As we walked together I thought of the quest to come, it would be dangerous to anyone not having the skills required to defend the ruby at all costs. I know now that Upala has them skills, though she can defend herself I have grown very fond of her and has become like a sister to me ever since she came to live with me and my wife-to-be Sindy. She was family and I would take care of her for as long as she needs.

My staff, downsized to just a wand size at the moment was tucked into the side of my belt. I thought it would be politer to see my staff in it's full quality. I just needed a thought before there was a glowing yellow light and the wand came to the long staff I was so fond of. I looked at the shimering rays coming from the staff and smiled to feel sunlight magic spread over my face. Sunlight magic is my best element of magic I use, I feel more powerful in the sun, not like when it's dark and cloudy. I saw Upala looking in awe at my staff, it indeed was magnificent. But I took more interest in her necklace, it held so much magic inside of it. I could sense it around me, though I had to change my senses slightly because I was used to Upala's aura by now.

As I walked into the chamber I saw 11 other people each standing before me. One I recognized, the thirteenth princess. The sacrifice, Blake Savage was only 13 and I felt sorry for her that our plague, our curse, was on her shoulders. She stood silent with her arms folded and a straight face, she caught my eye and I looked away, not to arowse her. I swiftly walked into line with Upala. I saw her fidgeting with her nails and I nudged her and pointed my head forward towards the King. She realized that he was about to make a speech, she put her hands to her sides and looked forward, waiting for the King's speech.
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

Random avatar

Reviews: 275
Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:25 pm
Calligraphy says...

Blake Savage

I stared as two more people came into the room. The dude was the only one that caught my eye though and though it was for a second the message dripped with pity. I scowled. Who was he to know what I felt? I might want to be sacrificed, he couldn't know if I felt doomed or not. I clenched my teeth hating myself for bringing up the question of how I felt. I actually wasn't sure, I didn't really feel scared, maybe angry, earlier I had decided that I was going to feel nothing go numb for the next few weeks, but that probably wasn't going to work so well seeing that I have a temper. Whatever.

My father began to speak about the trip we were going to take, what a bunch of mumbo jumbo. Why did everyone in this god forsaken place believe such bull crap. He was my for god's sake he could at least feel a twinge of sadness. Knowing that I was going to be killed on my thirteenth birthday hadn't really made my life enjoyable. I had always heard the rumors and though my parents thought I had no idea what was going to happen at about 6 years of age I knew they were completely true and nobody in my family was gonna stop my dad from sending me out to die. Obviously that kind of put a damper on our relationship.

I was almost always in his or his best servants guard being protected like a fat kids Butter-finger because who knows what would happen if I the savior died before I was supposed to? I rolled my eyes in amazement at how everyone in my life was so stupid. I guess this is a good reaction because a normal person should care if they are going to die at 13 even if it is for the greater good.

My dad didn't even try to let me have a normal life, though it wouldn't have worked anyway. One look at me and anyone my age or younger or older scurried away. Who wants to make friends with someone who's death is already planned?

My ears perked for a second as the jewel was mentioned. Not like he hadn't already said it a million times, but for the first time he was discussing who would take it. I didn't catch the name, but it wasn't going to be me. I opened my mouth, but I was speechless. I wasn't even going to get hold the jewel that had to be on me when I died. Bull Crap.

I realized though that from anyone's point of view, besides mine, it would make perfect sense that if I held the jewel I could try to get away or drop it in a river or something and then it would be gone forever and the chance would be lost. But, still how horrible could everyone be. Ever since I was little I was sure that at least I would get the jewel. At least they could grant me that. I shut my mouth again realizing that it was no use. Anything I said would be ignored as a little girls complaint. A little girls complaints that was gonna save all their happy little lives.

I took a moment to look around the room. I studied every face, but it was useless who was going to help me? I looked at my dad again. What was it with people giving such long speeches around here this could take longer than the trip. He caught my eyes for a second and I mouthed the words "Ass hole." I had never cared what he thought of me, but I could step out of line as much as I pleased now. I didn't get to see his reaction though because a dude with purple hair caught my eyes. He smiled the kind of smile that says I like you because you have spunk. But, he was still going to help kill me so I didn't smile back.

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:29 pm
View Likes
LaceyDreadth says...

Michiko Cadence

Trying to work in an archery range with a bunch of boys that pretend to be men watching. Of course, I’d prefer to practice in solitude but Octavian says it’s too close to the start our mission for something like that. Many were laughing as I pulled out my recurve bow, deciding I’d been neglecting the poor thing for my longbow. My hair was already pulled back into the smallest ponytail anyone had every seen.

Most of them knew, of course, that I was chosen as a protectoribus but didn’t believe I had any talent whatsoever, or the muscle to handle the longbow I was often seen with. The archers at the castle had taken no time whatsoever to question my skills. Today was the first I’d actually practiced with anyone other than my two companions.

“Quiet boys, the girl needs to concentrate,” the head guard was probably the only one who knew that every arrow I shot held the life of whatever I chose to aim at.

I rolled my eyes and gave him a look, “Okay, if I can’t shoot with a bunch of people talking, I might as well break my bow.” He chuckled as I pulled it up and drew an arrow. I was being taunted as I aimed. I took forever just to make a few of the men mad then let it fly.

It was fairly close, so it hit in the center. Just as everyone had a chance to finally shut up, I’d shot another at a second target. Making sure no one else was planning to shoot while I could die, I started towards the two shots. I examined them then pulled one out with a scowl.

“A little bit off...” I trailed off. I saw the head guard shake his head and some others just kind of stared.

“Michiko, dear, don’t play with them.” With a loud sigh I turned to see my leader.

“But it’s so easy, Octavian.” Pulling out the other arrow, I sighed and followed him.

“That’s no excuse.”

“Yes, sir.”

He smiled, then motioned for me, “It’s time.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I unstrung my bow as I walked, “I should probably put this away. The whole weapons with the King near probably wouldn’t go over well.”

I scanned the area and found Kayleigh, a servant that had helped me when I’d first gotten there. After a few words, she took the bow and quiver. If anything actually managed to happen to the castle, she would run one of my bows to me. She was probably my favorite person in the castle besides my fellow archers.

“Alright, let’s get this over with.”

It was the young girl that first caught my attention. One corner of my mouth jerked upwards as I saw the look of pure anger on her face. Then I remembered why she was angry and felt sick. This girl was going to die.

To get my thoughts off of that small detail, I looked at the rest of the people. For the first time I realized how much I stood out. I hated standing out, loving to watch everything from shadows or simply a distance.

The speech was tedious and I wished I hadn’t seen Kayleigh so I could fidget properly. Instead, I spent my time examining the King. He was sending his daughter to her death and didn’t seem the slightest bit distressed. Every few words, I unwillingly glanced at her. She seemed resilient and glared at her father openly.

After she mouthed ‘ass hole,’ I whipped my attention to the King. He looked like he was trying to restrain an explosion, then the look disappeared. Slightly impressed, I knew it was only from years of annoying courtiers and probably his doomed daughter.

If she made him that good at hiding how angry he is, I might just like her. Whether or not that’s a good thing is still up in the air.
"A poet is someone who stands outside in the rain hoping to be struck by lightning."
-James Dickey

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
-Dave Barry

161 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:00 am
Sassafras says...

Octavian

I took my place next to the leaders, a step or two in front of the others. The King started his speech and I tried my best not to yawn out of boredom. I'd already preformed a full autopsy on the plague and the way they planned to cure everyone. Personally, I in no way agreed to such a small child giving up her life for the sake of maybe curing the plague but I wasn't being hired to agree, now was I? Groaning lowly, I removed a red rose from behind my ear and twirled in absent-mindedly, staring at the rose petals in awe. The only thing bringing my back to reality being someone clearing their throat suggestively. I glanced over to the leader to the right of me and smiled lightly. She held a sword and had long blond hair. Knights. The man to the right of me was so obviously the Mage leader and it made me glad seeing that he looked like a good strong leader. It would not be great to be under command of some weakling. I chuckled lightly to myself before shaking my head and putting the rose back in it's place.
"...and with that said, good luck. Your carriage will be here soon to seen you to lady Kagame's house to retrive the stone. From tehre you will be transported to the starting point of your journey." After finishing, the King bowed and walked down from his throne, not even glancin at his enraged daughter. Everyone stood at attention until the door to the throne room closed with a small click. I was first to break the silence.
"Finially!" The mage leader glared at me and I promptly ignored the gesture. With a few long strides, I went to stand until I could face everybody. I bowed slightly before standing and brushing my hair away from my face.
"Greetings, everyone. I'm Octavian Deloranze Ricardosa... the fourth."

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:22 pm
Mazzi says...

Damien

I listened intently on the king's speech. It was very intresting knowing the history of the ruby. Most of the public had no inside information on the quest and to hear this information coming from the king was relieving to know it wouldn't be lies or rumors. I heard a yawn coming from one of the leaders, what dis-respect. I turned my head to give my fellow leader a frown to remind him, then I realized that it would be better to not get into a fight about something with so little importance, I needed to get along with my fellow leaders. When the king's interesting speech has finished I saw Princess Blake throwing a tantrum. Her father the king, didn't even take it into account and simply fled through the door behind his throne. We also left through a different door, I saw a wisp of Blake's her before closing the door behind me. "Finally!" The archer leader exclaimed. That's enough dis-respect, but not wanting to arowse the other procteribus I gave him a stern look and he simply smirked and walked on the stage were the king would stand. He introduced himself as Octavian Deloranze Ricardosa the Fourth. I tried to make it a formal greeting by stepping up on the stage next, ushering him off. "I am Damien Vocifero, nice to meet you my fellow protectoribus." I walked off the stage, waiting for the next person to introduce themselves to us.
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

Random avatar

Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:32 pm
Calligraphy says...

Shadow

Damien introduced himself, but I didn't really pay attention, he was way to up-tight for me to get along with me anyway. A million thoughts were racing through my head. Everything was so different here. I wondered why the king even picked me. I was kind of rebelish looking. Maybe he just thought I wasn't smart enough to pull something. That was fine.

I looked around the room. A girl caught my eye, she looked much to young to be here maybe eighteen, but that was it. But, I didn't doubt she could be dangerous seeing that a blue ball of fire floated a few inches from her palm she looked like she was playing with it, but she wasn't paying attention to what she was doing. Like you would play with a little trinket feeling it, but not focusing so you could actually do something. she was hiding in the Shadows as her eyes flitted back and forth between Damien introducing himself and everyone else. She looked very nervous about introducing herself. For a second her eyes met mine and I gave her a smile. She gave me a small smile back, and I took it as an invitation. While another dude cleared his throat and started to introduce himself as Darius something or other I slipped over.

"Hey," I whispered "you gonna introduce yourself?"
She pointed to her throat and gave me a lopsided smile as if she was trying not to laugh at me. It took me a second, but I realized she must not be able to talk.
"Any way you could tell me your name?"
"Upala," she whispered.
"So you can talk." She indicated that she couldn't hear, "But you can lip read?" She nodded a smile growing her face.
"Want me to introduce you?" Her face didn't move, but her eyes gave a flick towards the person who had just finished the introduction. I spoke, "Hey guys, I'm Shadow, and this is my awesome friend Upala. I'm a fighter and she is a mage like you can see." She held up the small blue ball and then closed her hand and it disappeared.

A girl cleared her throat and I turned back to Upala. She reminded me of my little sister even though she had brown hair and Upala's was bonde. "Birdy" I whispered to myself,
"hmm?"
"Birdy, that's my" but it was to hard to explain my sister, not even including why I just had called this girl that. Who, though I could see it, no one else would see a connection to my sister. They didn't look alike at all... except for their eyes. Their eyes were the same. The same bright spark. The same laughing tone. The same speckles of light, almost white, color against the darker, those her's were blue and opal's were green.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 am
Sassafras says...

Primula Everyone introduced theirselves and I sat back watching, my fellow knights behind me. Everyone was laughing and playing, I just watched with a sad smile before turning to my group, telling them that they're free to go. They thanked me and ran off mingling with the other. I put my sword away and walked forward towards Damien and Octavian who were seeming to have a conversation off to the side, along with the fighter's leader. "Hello," I said. Octavian looked towards me and smiled warmly. I returned the gesture. "I didn't introduce myself, I'm Primula An'kae." The mage leader nodded stiffly and the fighter leader didn't even awknowledge me. "I was just explaining into further detail our mission. Our transportation should be here in a few so we should call a meeting." He turned towards Damien and smiled. The mage nodded and called the rest of the Protectoribus to attention.

Random avatar

Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:32 am
Calligraphy says...

Blake Savage

"Mum," I paused, "I love you." Three words, probably the hardest to say in my entire short life. It wasn't my mums fault though. It never had been. She married young, an arranged marraige no less. My dad only 13 at the time had no hormones whatsoever. But, my mum I felt sorry for her. At 16 a 13 year old ordered her about. She was at the mercy of a 13 year old, trapped. And I think she is the only person in the whole world that I love and I think, that I am the only person she loves. For years she didn't have a child. I have no brothers or sisters. For years she had miscarriages and everyone thought it was her thought like she would curse herself so she didn't have children or something. How can people be so judgmental when they don't know anything. If I was her I would have killed myself by now. She kissed me lightly on the cheek. I glanced at my father. He was such a failure, trying to save his country by killing me.

"I hate you." Three words, probably the easiest to say in my entire short life. His only response was, "guards." The transportation was here.

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:15 pm
aweqs says...

Upala |Introduction Stage

Damien had introduced himself calmly and efficiently. So much confidence... so self-assured. He didnt even blink at the idea of speaking to this small crowd, whearas I shuddered at just the thought.

I played absent-mindedly with a ball of wair, as I liked to call it. Its a combination of air, water and some enchantments, and although its completely useless, its pretty and easy to conjure up. I've been told it looks like blue fire...

Suddenly, I became aware of a pair of eyes watching me, and my head snapped up. A guy with shaggy purple hair was watching my little play toy with great intent. He lifted his face, and gave me a interested smile. I gave him a small smile back, and before I knew it, he was standing beside me.
He had his head ducked down, but I saw his lips moving slightly, but not enough for me to read. He looked up, expecting an answer.
I smile- an easy mistake- and gestured for him to speak again. He obviously thought I was telling him I couldnt speak.
I would of spoken out right, but I needed to test this guy, test his patience. I always do that before becoming close with someone, for reasons I'm not sure.
Finally, the guy got the gist- I was deaf. He didnt seem shocked, or 'put off' or anything. A wide smile grew on my face.

I read his lips asking, Shall I introduce you?″, and before I could answer, I had been whisked on stage.
He announced our names, and I showed off a little with my 'wair' - a new confidence sprung inside me from this attention from Shadow- for that was his name.

He muttered something about someone called Birdy, but I didnt quite catch it, so we left to go and mingle with the rest of the group.

Just as I begun to start talking to an archer and a fighter- Mikeal and Ashrae- Damien called the group to attention again.

" Everybody, attention please!" he said in a loud voice, "Our transporataion has arrived."
Excitement rose in the crowd, but as I was jostled along towards the huge carriage, I caught Damien looking disdainfully at Shadow. I sighed, knowing that must not approve of his appearance, and my new friendship with this rebellish-looking boy...

/Isha:/= To be honest, we are talking about mostly nothing which in its own essence is something. But somethingness can't be nothing if there isn't nothing in the first place. So really, we're talking about meaningly somethingness that's technically caused by nothingness.

The Smiley Spammer

6 Reviews

Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:44 pm
LaceyDreadth says...

Michiko

Sarah was running up to me, having this ability to know exactly when to show up, my bows and quiver and the small pack of actual belongings I had in her hands. I smiled at her, then scowled at the carriage as I sorted them out in my hands. My longbow stayed inside it’s case as it was too large to handle easily from horseback, which is how I assumed we’d be going.

I caught sight of Blake saying goodbye to her parents. There had been no reason for me to hate the king until this moment, when I absolutely abhorred him to the fullest extent of my ability. Because he didn’t seem to enjoy his daughter’s company, so I thought I might actually like her. The moment he said ‘guards’ I hurried over there. I bent down, glad my cowl was covering the vast majority of my face. The actual palace guards backed away a bit. “Let’s blow this joint.”

She looked at me in surprise as I led her outside. It was then that I saw the carraige. I pushed her gently towards it and turned towards my own leader, Octavian.

“I am not getting in that thing.” I crossed my arms over my chest, then let them fall to my side.

“Michiko, now isn’t the time for this.” Octavian sighed, but his eyes sparkled with amusement.

“I swear, if I get in that thing, you’ll have a raving lunatic on your hands by the time we get to the next town.” I could usually deal with buildings but being in a cramped carriage was not my idea of a good time.

I saw Mikeal shake his head and I shot him a glare; almost as good as an arrow itself.

“I can ride Appleseed and look all foreboding and shoot anyone that comes to close. Isn’t that my job anyway? Of course Mikeal would probably do a better job at being intimidating but I can do mysterious much more easily. No one can tell I’m female in that cloak.”

I gave him a pleading look, pulling down my hood so he could see it properly. I heard someone snickering and I sent a glance in the general direction of the group of people. There was no telling who it was but whoever it was ruined my pout because I had to smirk at the thought that someone found me amusing. I waited for a response from someone that would help me out, ready to ignore anything other than someone giving me permission to stay outside of that box on wheels.
"A poet is someone who stands outside in the rain hoping to be struck by lightning."
-James Dickey

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."
-Dave Barry

161 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:25 am
Sassafras says...

Octavian

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair, looking at Michi with always shining eyes.

"Fine, but no shooting off that bow of yours at anyone. I know you won't but I just can't be too sure with you." I laughed airly and turned my back, moving to get into the carriage. I had one foot in when I turned to look at her over my shoulder. "Stay beside this carriage at all times, okay?" She nodded and ran off happily towards her horse, I rolled my eyes at the back of her head and turned to Mikael. "Would you like to ride horseback also?" He shook his head no and I raised myself the rest of the way into the carriage, taking a between Rhos, a mage, and Blake. After a few moments, the door was closed and we were starting off. Things were awkwardly quiet for a few moments as Blake seethed in silence and the rest of the protectoribus glanced out of one of the windows.
The silence was uncomfortable, way too quiet for me. Too awkwardly quiet anyway. I fiddled with my thumbs silently before sighing and running a hand through my hair.

"Well then, seems like this is finially being set in motion," I said. Blake turned to scowl at me and I smiled back at her annoyed expression. "Don't seem so gloomy, child," I chided lightly. Her glare intensified, if that was even possible.

"You expect me to be happy when I'm about to be lead to my death by tweleve strangers I don't even know because of some stupid plague!?" I flinched slightly and rubbed the back of my neck.

"Sorry, I guess not." Damien looked down briefly before putting on his stoic face and looking over to the sacrifice. She was dying because of his village, his home. He must have really felt bad, but this is the way it has to be. "But, hmm... There is really nothing I can say to make this better, is it?"

"Not at all." I nodded and laughed briefly before pulling a silver flute out of my bag. I played a few notes before sitting it on my lap and starring out of the window.

"After we retrieve the jewel and a map we will be dropped off at the beginning of our path. From there I suggest everyone take a rest and practice some before actually starting off." I turned to face the other, my eyes lidded and a lazy smile on my face. "There will be lots of people out to try and steal the jewel, I'm sure word has traveled far by now. We will all have to keep a close eye on the sacrifi- er... Ms.Savage. If she dies beforehand, so do we. Remember that. We must protect her with our life." I turned to Blake and smiled warmly at her, trying to ease her hard expression. "You're safe with us, Princess Blake." She scoffed and turned around.

"Yeah, until we make it to the Volcano."

"Well, yeah. Until then."

Random avatar

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:16 am
Calligraphy says...

Blake Savage

I turned away to look out the window because a lump was forming in my throat. The last words I managed to say were
"Yeah, until we make it to the Volcano."
Who did this guy think he was. The great Octavian comes to the rescue. I knew now. I knew I didn't want to die. No matter how hard I tried to convince myself it would be better that because my life was so dreadful. I wondered if I should try to enjoy these last few weeks or if I should sit and wait in the gloom of it all. Wait for death to come along and snatch me away. If I wanted to look tough I would pick the latter. If I wanted to make peace I would choose the second. But, I supposed there really was no cut and dry. Some of the days I would want to laugh, and some days I would take everything in without a word. Nobody understood. Nobody. How could they. I sucked in a shuddering breath as the first tear slid down my cheek thinking of ice-cream ate alone. But, still, it was ice-cream. Steady, I told myself. You can handle this, what are people going to think when they see you crying the first day. Just breath. But, another slide down. I pulled the hood of my sweatshirt up looked away. Covered half of my face with my hand and scrunched up my legs close to my chest, but of course they knew.

Someone made a small sound. I couldn't even tell if they were going to speak. "Shut up." It was a scream a whiny, helpless, angry scream. I buried my face in legs and a sob burst out before I could catch it.

I don't want to die I whispered to myself, then again and again until it became a beat, a rhythmic sound that soothed me.

6 Reviews

Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:55 am
LaceyDreadth says...

Michiko

Appleseed whinnied as I mounted her. It took only feather light touches of my heels to get her moving and the pressure of my legs to keep her on path. Even though it was a pain, she kept her recurve out and kept an arrow in her hand. In a fluid motion, she pulled down her cowl and pulled up beside the carriage. From there, I could see a fair distance away from the group but still hear what they had to say.

I heard the scream and my hands flew up in the familiar motion before I could really realize what had happened. It was only after my bow was ready that my brain caught up with the rest of me.

There really wasn’t anything to say. The poor girl was on this trip with all of us to be thrown into a volcano. I wanted to have my mother there right now to hold her like she used to hold me as a child and make all of her fears go away. Of course that wasn’t possible.

I heard Octavian and Damien trying to sooth her and the rustling that was probably the rest trying to figure out what to do. My instinct was to make them laugh, frighten off the tension with a well placed joke but even I wasn’t that stupid. Instead, I looked to the side of the path, wishing there was something to shoot.

“Of course you don’t want to die,” one of them said. Blake’s voice was so set in my mind that I couldn’t tell between their voices very well. “You’re human--” I didn’t hear anything after that.

“That’s the problem,” I muttered under my breath, forcing my fists to stay lose so I didn’t break the arrow, “the sacrifice is human. She’s a person.”

I was ready to ride off that moment and not look back but I had begun this and I had to end it too, no matter how horrible I was already finding it. There was no way I would wish to be in there, though, to see that girl being hit by a destiny no one decent would wish on anyone.
-James Dickey

-Dave Barry

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf