z

Young Writers Society

The Ruby of Zoran

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:36 am
Shearwater says...

Vonual S'haara

Of course, a human would have been treated so badly. If I were in her place, I might have done the same thing and stolen the precious ruby. However, stealing it did not help her situation, in fact...things were worse, weren't they? She might have gotten her revenge but she had stained an entire world with her actions and that...was unjustified and wrong. I didn't know her, but I suddenly felt like I wouldn't like her very much.

Laridail was stunning. He had actually figured some of this out and had a possible idea of who the Ruby thieves were. I would have applauded the guy but I didn't want to stand out. Especially since everyone was giving him a hard time, I didn't want to have the eyes of the field on me, not if I was going to end up traveling in in a group.

My eyes flashed to the right where I watched a little group of people. One of them was a human, he was tall, princely looking with a clean face and best of all, he was nicely dressed. Next to him were a few others, an older elf lady and a Zanam girl. I finished cleaning the grotesque mud off my shoes. "Ah, so much better." I smiled at my cleanliness, threw the stick behind me and glanced at my bag.

My bag...it was gone! My father had packed food for me, water and everything from undergarments to...oh god, if someone had stole it, it would be such an embarrassing situation. I pushed myself off the ground and scanned the area, looking for anyone remotely suspicious of thievery. There, in the midst of the crowded field I made out a man, he had my bag in his hand as he quickly disappeared into the shadow of the night. I pulled the hood of my cloak over my head. Laridail's soft voice became weak as I moved away from the thicket of bodies, following the scoundrel.

When I found him, he was drinking up my precious water. "Hey!" I shrieked, pointing a finger at him. He paused, the leather bottle above his lips. I could actually hear the gulp that drowned in his throat. "You filthy..." I looked him up in down. "Man...That is mine! You're no better than Isani Tukar and Leila Runis!" I sneered.

He smiled, that fool actually smiled...and smelled. I crinkled my nose. "I'm sorry..." He placed the water back into the bag and handed it to me. I snatched it quickly and held it against my chest. "I was...thirsty," he shrugged. I felt his eyes scan me up and down which made me take a step back.

Suddenly, his stomach growled, making a noise in our silence. He was hungry...of course back in my village...when I was young I had stolen for food before, when Father was still trying his hardest to make ends meet, I did what I was so against. I broke the rules and he was no different than me. With a sigh, I reached into my bag and pulled out a wrapper with some food inside.

"Here, take this." I extended my hand to him. "If you're hungry, maybe you should just ask someone instead of stealing it. I would have given it to you if you asked."
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:30 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Raksha Jezebel
While the prince was talking Rayven was going in between everyone and sniffing them memorizing their scents after he was done he came and sat by me. I rubbed the top of his head and he panted happily his bright red tongue lolling out the side of his mouth. "The mission is this simple: retrace the footsteps of Isani Tukar and Leila Runis to discover where the Ruby went. True, I have not yet found their path past Murdi. My hope is that by the time you reach it, I would have. Take the news as you like, and those who are not pleased may leave, but in any case I hope that at least one party would leave tonight." He finished. I glanced around and saw a few shifting looking uncomfortable. 'Seems that a few aren't as confident as they seem.' I thought to myself making sure to shield my thoughts. Rayven tugged lightly on the sleeve of my cloak and I glanced down he looked at me his eyes huge and imploring. "Don't worry Rayven I'm not giving up." I said gently and he grinned and let out an extremely happy yip. I smiled and rubbed his head again just behind his ears and he sighed flopping down and I chuckled quietly his good mood rubbing off on me.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:22 am
Vampyre says...

Arodeth Lothwen

It was hard to tear myself away from the Prince's speech, but the way he'd seemed to enthrall the whole audience would work to my advantage. I stood on the fringes of the field, scanning the gathered humans, elves, and Zanam gathered there. It looked like the hardest part of my task would be actually to find Le'Kae. I tried to think about it logically, casting my mind back to my encounter with the elf that had brought my task. Was there anything she'd said that would give me a hint...?
One sentence presented itself to me.
"H-he-he's on the way to the Fields and means to parti-ticipate in the quest f-for the Ruby."

My smile was fleeting; I didn't want anyone to notice me, and standing around grinning to myself was hardly the way to go.
"H-he-he's on the way to the Fields..."
So, he hadn't yet arrived at the time Zanas and I had spoken. No one had passed me as I ran to catch Aikan up, so then...Le'Kae must still be behind me.
I couldn't prevent myself smiling this time. 'Twould be easier than I thought.

The stars gleamed in the darkness as I returned to the main path. He was most likely to come through here, from the way of the city. Hunkering down so I could keep an eye on the other paths, just in case, I prepared to wait.

My legs had barely had time to settle before two elves came rather slowly through the trees. I made sure to keep myself in the shadows as I rose. My fingers itched, yearning for the soothing metal of a knife between them. I flexed them slightly, before speaking out of the darkness.
"Mr Le'Kae?"

The elves both jumped slightly as the voice came seemingly out of nowhere, before relaxing as I stepped forward, showing the outline of my silhouette. The slightly taller of the two glanced around before replying.
"I am Mr Le'Kae", he said, licking his lips nervously.

Excellent.

"Sir, I've been meaning to talk to you about some information regarding the Ruby. I have new information from Master Sern." I heard a slight intake of breath as I mentioned the name. I didn't quite know what Sern worked as, but he seemed to run in a rather fearsome circle. I continued, making sure to keep my voice lower than usual.
"I beg your attention for a few moments."

He nodded, dismissing his friend. I was somewhat surprised he'd let himself be alone that easily, but I was used to living in a world of death. I was more paranoid than most.

He waited until his companion had walked up the track, before turning to me. His expression had morphed into one of greed.
"What information did Master Sern give you? Are we to travel together to find it?"

"Come here, Mr Le'Lae, and I'll show you," I said, taking a few steps back into the trees. My hands buzzed as I removed a knife from its resting place. Just a few more steps...

He stepped forward.
Perfect.

A few minutes later, I was back in the Field. I'd earned my money.
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:34 pm
carbonCore says...

//Well, my party isn't leaving yet, but I might as well walk around and get to know people.//

Csel

So many people coming right out of nowhere. Minutes ago, all was still, all was quiet. Then they poured from every direction, skittered from under rocks, crawled from their burrows, filling the place with their animalistic scents. Of course, a certain Prince made his speech then, so it only made sense for them to be here. The individual who had engaged conversation with me now seemed to be not wholly there in mind, staring dazedly into nothingness. He said nothing, and this I did not mind at all.

I had no delusions about going on the hunt alone. To be fair, I was never alone; no matter where I went, the sacred woman was with me all the time. Oh, beloved old friend and life-time companion, without you to nothing I would fall. Though, as much as it pained me to admit it, you were not always enough. Now that I left Hargoth, it would do me benefit to blend with the locals. They have their uses.

People did not look too closely as I stalked about the back of the crowd. There were humans, there were elves. There were also... others. Neither this nor that. Odd little abominations, they were. They took either side in this escalating racial conflict sparking and heating out from nowhere. Cursed fire. I did not understand their conflicts. They all had two legs, two arms, a head. They all walked on the same earth. Sacred mother. To point fingers at each other for theft of the Ruby was irrational. Both elves and humans had more than enough breath wasters. But these middle-men, they intrigued me so...

By a stroke of luck, I noticed two of these away from the main crowd, and approached them. Some action of interest took place there. An exchange of food. Tensed muscles. A robbery? Amusing.

"What are you?" I said in a soft tone. They looked at me, their gazes passing through me like I was merely membrane. I gazed back from underneath my hood, though it were doubtful that they saw my eyes.

The female was long and narrow with hair of an unusual colour. She looked like Grannie Miara, but young. Involuntarily, memories of Miara's tales about The Thing That Crawls And Eviscerates and The Thing That Smiles And Smells Fear came to the surface of my mind. Women that looked like her tended to be crafty and deceptive, if my childhood with Grannie Miara taught me anything. I am to be careful around this one, I thought.

The starved-looking youth that she had given food to stared at me with such genuine distaste that I was made to think, if only for a minute, that he was a sacrifice to the water beasts (only they dared look at the village shaman in this way, since their end was nigh regardless). Then I recalled that I was no longer in the swamps, and, with a sigh, tied the fang juju back around my neck. Without realizing it, I must have torn it off and was about to swing at the youth to perforate his heart and let the blood flow to appease the water beasts. Cursed water. I hoped that they would not have noticed this action, but the looks on their faces seemed to say otherwise. Still, I did not mind much.

"What are you?" I repeated my question once the juju was back around my neck.
_

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm
Tigersprite says...

Aikan Dursil--Party One

People started to leave after Laridail's announcement. Those without the courage that the quest required, and those that didn't believe the evidence he had given. And of course, the spectators who had only come to watch.

I began to walk up the hill, but Lurin stopped me when I was about halfway up. I was only slightly surprised; yes, I'd met him before, when he'd delivered important messages from the castle to Laridail during our apprenticeship training, but then again, I was but a commoner. Less, even. I lived with the Zanam, and despite the recently over-turned laws my class was the lowest of the low for doing such a thing.

Still, I found it strange that Laridail did not even look at me again. Instead, he turned from gazing into the distance towards the considerably smaller crowd, and he began to speak again.

"I see that now others have left, not more than seven-and-two of you brave people are left. Nevertheless, this Hunt must begin.

"It would be foolish to send you off as individuals. No, people would lose their way, and more over, it would look suspicious to the King. Yes," he repeated when some people near me mumbled in confusion, "the King. For he would rather the mystery of the Ruby remained secret, no matter how it's discovery might change the hatred between our races. This is why the parties I will arrange you all in, I personally, must leave at different intervals."

"You're putting us into parties?" I heard Pastas ask from behind me. I turned around, and on second thought was not surprised to see he had remained. Surely he didn't earn his title from cowardice.

"Sure he is," Xavier's voice replied him. "What's your complaint? How else would a woman go within two feet of you? The horse maybe, but you not so much..."

"Quiet, boy," Pastas growled in reply. He was talking to Xavier (who was eating something in a brown wrapper, only the gods knew where that came from), but he was looking at an Zanam girl standing beside him. Her was silvery, but she looked very young despite it.

"Yes," Laridail continued, causing us all to look up, "I will sort all the participants into parties."

"But how, my Lord?" asked a quiet voice, and I turned to see the girl speaking. "Will you choose parties based on our talents? On our expertise? Or merely at random?"

Laridail looked slightly uncomfortable for some reason or the other. "I choose each individual on their abilities, which are well known to me."

"But you could not possibly have known any of us before," came Arodeth's voice from beside me. I turned in surprise, for there had been none there a moment before.

"Indeed," Laridail replied, "I have known none of you before. Or at least," he said, looking directly at me, "few of you. But there are many ways of becoming knowledgeable about things. And thus I will organize the parties."

"How do you think he knows?" Arodeth whispered to me. She had a slightly worried look on her face.

"My first guess is Scribing," I replied her. "Although I'm sure there are some here able to block the Scribing, so I do not know how that would work."

"Scribing? He's read our thoughts? I did not know that the Prince had magic at all," she said quietly, no longer looking at me but far into the distance. And then she looked back at me.

"It's a wonder, then, that he is not Zurinian. After all, most Elves are forced to become so."

"The Royal Family and the Zurinians have an agreement that Royal children are to be left alone if they are magic users. What baffles me about that though, is how this agreement has lasted."

Arodeth laughed. "Money of course. Money transcends all other things."

We stopped our talk when Laridail spoke again.

"I shall announce the parties now. Do not be alarmed if I use your name, as I have mentioned, I know of it.

Party One shall consist of Mr Aikan Dursil, (I jumped in slight shock) Miss Arodeth Lothwen, (she started too), Mr Ari Mai, Miss Vonual Sha'ara (I noticed the girl beside Xavier shift slightly) , Miss Raksha Jezebel (a girl not far away looked up from stroking a rather large wolf by her side), Miss Blossom Z'ante and Mr Tanosh Abur. If your name was announced, please ascend this hill that I might talk with you. Others, please bear with me and continue to wait on the field."

I looked at Arodeth, and then at all the others whose names had been called. And I began to ascend the hill.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

12 Reviews

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:13 pm

Raksha Jezebel
I ascended the hill Rayven running around happy that we were finally starting when I reached the top I whistled so sharply and loudly that everyone turned towards me I blushed faintly thankful that the shadow of my hood covered my flaming face. Rayven stopped immediatly and ran over to me sitting down. I knelt so that I was eye to eye with him. "Rayven when we begin this quest I want you to stay with me unless I tell you otherwise understand?" I asked him and he licked my cheek in response. I giggled and wiped away the saliva. "Good as long as we understand each other." I said standing up. I looked up at the Prince feeling calm despite of everything that could happen.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:06 pm
Sins says...

Xavier ap Ganthi -- Loner

"What are you?"

A male elf. A horrible species. Was he mocking us? I stared at the man, my annoyance turning into confusion. Was he alright? He was gazing at Vonual and I, his eyes wide and brimming with interest. I took another bite from the food I had been given and spoke.

"Well..." I glanced down and tapped my crotch. "Oh, yes, I'm definitely male. I'm also rather tall, although my feet are surprisingly small compared to my height."

The man appeared even more confused than ever. His eyes still full of wonder, he asked me what I was again. Perhaps this man needed to be locked up? I was about to turn back to Vonual when I heard her speak, her voice soft.

"We are Zanams." She looked at him, hesitantly smiling.

Oh... Was that what he meant? Odd. Surely, everyone ahd heard of Zanams? Perhaps from spending my adult life in a Zanam community, I wasn't aware that we may have been a mystery to others. Surely though, a man would have at least heard of a Zanam?

This man seemed different though, so unalike the male elf I gew up with. His eyes were not blazing, nor was his lip curled aggresively. He did not even speak his words harshly, or glare at me as though all that he could see was a disgusting child, unworthy of anything. It was strange. Weren't all male elves like that? I assumed that this particular elf was simply different.

We wandered over towards the group of people again, biting at the food Vonual had given me. Once we reached the group, they were discussing going into parties or something of that sort. I watched and listened.

"You're putting us into parties?" Pastas asked slowly.

"Sure he is," I replied, interrupting. "What's your complaint? How else would a woman go within two feet of you? The horse maybe, but you not so much..."

He turned to me, his eyes narrowed. They soon snapped to Vonual, a smile creeping onto his face for a brief moment. A little young of age for you, my friend. I grinned at the thought.

The group continued discussing something or other as I watched aimlessly, my thoughts running through my mind. I was going to have to plan this quest. At this moment, I was not sure what I was planning to do or where I was hoping to go. So long as I knew wht I wanted, I should have been fine. So long as I found him... I could have always followed one of the groups, I supposed.

"... Miss Blossom Z'ante and Mr Tanosh Abur. If your name was announced, please ascend this hill that I might talk with you. Others, please bear with me and continue to wait on the field."

I snapped my head up. "No, I shall be going now."

Aikan turned to me. "No, no. I shall explain how your group will be lea-"

"No," I replied. "I am not going in any kind of group. I am not here to make any kind of companionship with anyone. I shall depart on my own."

I noticed some of the others glancing at me, shifting in their spots slightly. Aikan watched me for a while; he didn't appear to be convinced by what I'd said. The pain in my head had decreased a little now that I'd had food and drink, but I could feel myself drifting off slightly. I wouldn't sleep tonight though; I had to depart. Some man who wanted to play leader wouldn't stop me from doing so.

Aikan took hold of my arm and pulled me to the side. His eyes looked into mine for a brief moment until he began to speak. His 'leadership' act was annoying me a bit now. Who was he to say what I did and how I did it? Wasn't that up to me?

"Listen," I muttered. "I do not desire to go on some friendship trip, dancing around a forest campfire. I don't even care much for that rediculous shiny rock either. I'm here to find..." I paused, looking away. "Look, you cannot stop me from doing what I desire, Aikan. If I wish to depart on my own, I shall."

"Fine." Aikan's response surprised me. "But if you get yourself into any sort of trouble, do not come crying back to me, Xavier. It's dangerous out there."

What did I matter anyway? There were far more improtant things to concentrate on. So long as I found him and got him to safety - even if it meant death for me - then I would be willing to do whatever it took.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:49 pm
Shearwater says...

Vonual S'haara | Party One

"What are you?" The strange elf said again. The wisecrack next to me thought he was asking a funky question and replied by tapping his manhood. I nearly had a heart attack. For that second, I was regretting giving him food. But there was something rather different about this male elf. Like a child, his eyes beamed with a sort of interest. He smelt of dirt but it was oddly comforting, not the kind of nasty filth that the wisecrack next to me smelt like. He smelled pure, natural like a the grass after a rainfall.

I couldn't help the pull of a smile at the corners of my lips. "We are Zanams." I forced myself to look strict again, taking a quick glance at the thief. Back at the field, it seemed there was another gathering near Laridail. "Let's go," I said, nodding towards the huddled group of people

I didn't say anything, instead I listened the men speak something about being put into parties. This was a good idea, we could keep each other safe in case we were to be attacked in any manner. However, some Elves and Humans would not team with each other or the Zanam for that matter, who knew if one would be as cruel as to betray one or another. The tall prince-like man was there, he took a brief look at me and caught his eyes in my hair. Quickly, I pulled up the hood of my cape over my head. I disliked my silver hair, it was the only part of me that was any bit elfish and the attention it captured was something I never wanted nor got used to.

Another snap of eyes came from the man named Pastas. I shivered and hesitantly took a step back. Why was I being greeted by weird people today? Honestly. After the announcement, I realized that I was to be partied with the first group. I felt a bit of relief when I noticed that I wouldn't be with Xavier, the scoundrel who stole my bag. However he seemed to want to dispatch on his own. The fool, did he really thing he could survive out there? Akian, the prince-like fellow, pulled him to the side probably trying to talk him out of this reckless decision but it seemed that he wouldn't budge.

Whatever the case, it wasn't my area of concern. I had to stay concentrated on finding the ruby for I had a brother to save. I pulled the strap of my bag over my shoulders and tightened the strings on my boots before looking back a the first party. They had already began making their way up the hill and I slowly followed behind them. My foot steps soon caught me up to Akian. I was going to ask him something but I decided against it, the last thing I needed were acquaintances to slow me down. Being in a group did not mean having to be friends neither did it mean allowing my defenses down. I clicked my tongue and hastily past him.

I would travel as if I were on my own.
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:08 am
jok101 says...

Joshua Pastas

"What's you complaint? How else would a woman go within two feet of you? the horse maybe, but you not so much" Xaiver said.

"Quiet boy" I growled back. I stared at Vonual and hoped that my child would turn out to be a zanam like her, Polite and obviously generous, I had spied her giving food to Xavier. I could only pray my child wouldn't end up like Xavier an arrogant brat that needed a good slap. My look at Vonual was clearly misunderstood as she took a disgusted step back and Xavier grinned. If I was younger I would of jumped off my horse and taught him a lesson, however, I wasn't as foolish as I once was. It wasn't a good idea to offend someone you were going to travelling with it was a good way to get your throat slit in the night. Plus Xavier like most of the people here was one of the many under twenty fives that assumed anyone over twenty five was foolish, it served my purpose having them believe that I was a foolish old man. Even if I wasn't it was the way they treated me.

"No, I shall be going now" Xavier said and sighed inwardly to myself. My opinion of him was quickly changing from one of an arrogant man to a foolish boy. Aikan took him aside and they talked for a couple of seconds before Aikan departed up the hill with the rest of the first party. I got off my horse and put my hand out in front Xavier.

"Move it or I'll shatter it" Xavier said trying to push past but I stopped him gently.

"Do that and I'll cut your balls off with one of the shards, now boy it's only a few hours, it makes no difference we'll catch up with the first party before the end of tommorow and overtake them by sunset. Where ever your so eager to get to will still be their a few hours later" I said and Xavier shrugged I moved my army and let him go past. If he was here in the morning good, if not well at least I'd could take comfort in knowing that a group of bandits gave him the beating he deserved.

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:17 pm
ScarlettFire says...

Siofra Farland | Ziras Fields - Party Two:

I stood back from everyone, twisting a corner of my cloak around and around in my hands. What was I even doing here? I sighed and pulled up my hood, frowning. And as for this Ruby... Well, if it helped Mother and I.. The reward that is... Then it was worth it. Plus, I wanted to find my father. Hopefully, this quest might help locate him.

Names were called, but I barely noticed--only registering the absence of my own name. Those assembled began moving up the hill. I stayed where I was, at the back of the group. Interesting group. I hid a yawn, looking towards the others that stood back from the group. Two more Zanam by the looks of it... That made four of us, as I'd noticed another Zanam in the other group. Well, now. This was starting to get very interesting.

I closed my eyes, picturing the description my mother had given me. An Elf, tall with dark hair and with the same pale green eyes--almost grey, in fact--as me. My mother gave me almost nothing. Sure, I looked like an elf....I was just a little....well, short for an elf, I guess. I sighed again, trying to turn my thoughts back to my father just as someone tapped me on the shoulder.

"What do you want?" I snapped without opening my eyes. Whoever stood beside me just coughed. By the elements, what did they want now? My eyes flew open...only to find a human before me. Male. Huh, now this wasn't what I was expecting. I narrowed my eyes at them, tugging the hood low over my face. "Well?" I asked in a slightly less hostile tone.
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:28 pm
Vampyre says...

Arodeth Lothwen - Party One.

"The Royal Family and the Zurinians have an agreement that Royal children are to be left alone if they are magic users. What baffles me about that though, is how this agreement has lasted."

I rolled my eyes as I laughed. "Money of course. Money transcends all other things."

I kind of liked talking to Aikan. He seemed pretty intelligent, and made a good person to debate with. I couldn't say I respected him yet, but he was polite and friendly; two things that marked high in my book.
As I looked up, Laidail caught my eye, choking the remainder of my laugh. He studied me steadily, his eyes holding mine for an uncomfortable amount of time. I swallowed, breaking the eye contact as soon as politely possible.
What does he know of me? I barely noticed him speak again, and started when my name was called.
Aikan glanced at me, starting to ascend the hill. I took my cue, and followed him keeping as far away from Laridail as I could.
How much does he know?
Laridail faced us.
Does he know of my profession?
He beckoned us in, and started to speak.
Does he know of the body of Strenva Le'Kae, even now hidden in the small gap between two trees?
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:06 pm
Tigersprite says...

Laridail--Ziras Fields

The first party has begun to ascend the hill. Laridail wondered if any of them suspected that he had Scribed their thoughts. But even if they did, they needn't have worried. He did not delve into deep memories, only the most immediate thoughts that would tell him of each person.

The seven of them stood in a half-circle in front of him, quiet. When they bowed, he told them to rise. There was no time to be wasted.

"The seven of you comprise the very first party that will leave on this quest tonight. You are pathfinders, blazing a trail to find the missing key in our history. The quest for the Ruby will be a long one. It may be a harsh one. You might face enemies you did not expect, you might be forced to fight creatures of the wild, not mere forest wyverns or fairies whose homes you encroach upon, but stronger ones. Dragons, trolls, basilisks even. Are you ready for this? There is no guarantee that the journey will be safe, no guarantee that I will see all of you again. You do this for this nation, for me, for yourselves, too. This is a great undertaking. Is everyone sure they will stick to this decision? If your mind has changed, step aside and none will think any less of you."

Laridail paused. There was absolute silence, broken only by the quiet growling of Jezebel's wolf, Rayven. Laridail's curiosity was aroused briefly, but he ignored the temptation to delve further into the minds of any present.

Nobody moved forward, and instead Aikan said in his quiet tone, "If you please, my Lord, I think I speak for all here when I say we are prepared for this undertaking. None of us have any doubts about what we might encounter, and we are committed to this quest. Or does anyone doubt?"

"Not I," said Lothwen. Laridail's gaze lingered on her for a second; when he had Scribed her mind, it had been uneasy. But again, he resisted the temptation to look further.

"Nor I," said Mai.

"I didn't come here this night to give up so easily," S'haara said.

Jezebel, Z'ante and Abur spoke in the same tone as the others.

"Then it is decided," Aikan continued. "We will set forth on this quest."

Laridail nodded at all of them. "May the gods bless you and keep you as you set forth. Now Dursil," he said, turning to Aikan, "because you seem the most outspoken here, and because I myself have seen how capable you are, you will be responsible for this party."

"He gets to control us because he talks often?" S'haara asked in annoyance. "My Lord, is that really fair?"

"Not control you, Miss S'haara," Laridail replied. "When I say he is responsible, I mean that he will keep the map I shall give you, and he will hold the Duri coin. Any other duties, those are concerned with whether you come to trust him."

"Duri coins?" said Arodeth. "Isn't that Zurinian currency?"

"Indeed," he replied, "the Zurinians do use Duri coins in their day-to-day transactions. But these coins are also useful in another way: they are imbued with a special kind of Shift Magic*. Once one Duri coin is linked to another through a special process, throw the coin into a body with a reflective surface (such as water), and an image will appear on the other Duri coin of whatever is around the first. If that Duri coin is thrown into water, then the image on it will enlarge. Thus, a means of communication is established. Any sounds heard in the vicinity of the coins are also communicated."

"So we'll be able to communicate with the second party?" Jezebel asked.

"Exactly. To do so, you must flip the coin twice before it is thrown into water. It is also connected to a coin kept by me, so to communicate with my coin flip it thrice."

Laridail put his hand into an inner pocket, and withdrew a Duri coin.

"Dursil," he called, beckoning his old friend. Aikan came towards him, and he handed him the coin, which was then placed safely inside Aikan's own cloak. As this was done, Laridail said through Scribing:

I hope you are well, my friend? This quest will be a difficult one. It does not help that my father cannot know.

Aikan smiled without looking directly at him as he was handed the map.

I am, Lari, he replied. I am prepared for what we might face, and I'll due my utmost best to make sure none of these people come to harm.

Good.

Aikan stepped away and returned to the circle of the first party. Their exchange had been brief, but Laridail could tell that their friendship still held strong.

"Now, brave adventurers," he said to the party, "now you must leave. Head to the north-west city of Gaja. On foot it will take five days to reach, but halfway along the journey friends of mine will meet you; they will provide you with riding animals. Once you have reached the city, contact me so that I may tell you the next step of the journey. May the gods be with you." He gave them a short, perfunctory bow, and they knelt. And together, the first party left.

Laridail watched them descend the hill and began to talk with one another. And then he turned to Lurin.

"Summon me the Zanam boy," he said to him. "You know which one I speak of."

Lurin nodded and disappeared. Five minuted later, he returned, his arm tightly gripping that the dirty-looking Zanam boy, Ap Ganthi. The boy glared at Laridail with his blue eyes, and the latter was not at all surprised that he didn't show the slightest inclination to bow.

"What's he manhandling me for?" Ap Ganthi said angrily when Lurin let go of him. "He doesn't have the right. What do you want, anyway?"

"Show some respect," Lurin growled. Ap Ganthi glared at him, too.

"It has come to my attention, Ap Ganthi--"

"Xavier," the boy hissed.

"...Xavier, that you wish to depart alone."

"Yeah, and I'm going to. What's it to you? I don't want to join a stupid party."

"It's dangerous out there--"

"Please. Spare me the lecture."

"I said show some respect, boy," Lurin growled again. Laridail gave him a look to calm him, and then turned to Xavier again.

"You may go where you wish, I don't want to hold you. But hold on to this." He held out another Duri coin, and Xavier snatched it from him.

"That's more like it," the boy said grinning. "Got anymore more money?"

"That is not money, Xavier, at least none useful to you. With that coin you might contact me. Flip it thrice and throw it into a body of water to talk with me."

Xavier stared at me quizzically. "By the gods, why would I want to talk with you?"

"Just in case. You may also contact the first and second parties, by flipping it once and twice respectively. And take this also." Laridail looked to Lurin, and though the older man sighed, he went to where he had tied the horses by a stake in the ground, and retrieved a pack, handing it to Xavier.

"Inside," Laridail said, "you will find food and water, and sleeping bags along with a map. Now you may go wherever you like."

Xavier looked at him again, wore the pack and left without a word.

Finally, Lurin said, "This is why I distrust Zanam. They're so ungrateful."

"Be quiet," Laridail said to him. "Often what it is we choose to see is not what we will get." He looked into the distance, and watched the moon sink as the sun began to rise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

*For those who might have forgotten from the DT, Shift Magic is basically teleportation.

Also, from here on out put your character's party next to their name in bold at the top of your post. The members of the second party will be called together in the next post concerning Laridail, so anyone in that party can prepare themselves, and start to interact with their other party members (if you're not sure what party you're in, check the first page of this SB).
Last edited by Tigersprite on Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:01 pm
Jashael says...

The fields were glittering under the sunshine now. Mother had just left me on my own, with creatures I did not meet before. I wished Mother stayed a bit longer to scribe them. I wasn't very impressive when I spoke. I usually stutter. But now, fortunately, I didn't.

"What did I miss?" I asked the elf who asked my name. He did not ask another question after I'd answered him. Instead, he pulled out a map from his bag and looked around from time to time.

I knew it! I'd missed everything.

"Please tell me what had happened?" I pleaded. There were two male humans, a female elf, and a Zanam. I narrowed my eyes on the Zanam, but not in a threatening way. I hoped to get sympathy just by looking at her. But she just turned away.

Oh, yes...I'm an elf.

I held on to my violin case and bit my upper lip. I tried to look like the most pitiful girl in the world, but I failed. No one seemed to be in the mood to tell me what had happened. Everyone glanced at me as if it was all my fault that I knew nothing.

I wished to go home.

Weak...

I gulped and managed to walk closer to the group of creatures. Once again I tried to gain information. "What happened? Please anyone tell me?"

No one seemed friendly enough...

'You're only making noises, do you know that?" the female elf finally spoke. "You should've been here earlier."

sorry so short...I didn't read any character limit anyway. :p I'll post more tomorrow. It's almost two in the morning here... *yawns and snores*
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

12 Reviews

Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:42 pm

Raksha Jezebel Party one
I trailed slightly behind the party and put the hood of my cloak down letting my dark auburn hair down. I smiled enjoying the feel the wind playing with my hair and I caught up with the group and a few of them turned towards me surprised to see me with out me hood and i merely smiled knowing that it wasn't exactly proper for a woman to go out with her hair loose but at the moment i reajly didn't care I was sick of having my hair up and it just felt so good. Rayven ran around me nipping at my hair but when I held my hand up he stopped and walked beside me. I situated myself in the rear of the group knowing that it was one of the most vulnerable spots but since I had an extra set of eyes and ears and a very sharp nose I suppose I was good enough as long as I was cautious. "When are we going to be stopping?" I heard someone call. Their tired already?! I thought surprised then I glanced up and noticed that the moon was close to her highest point which meant it would soon be midnight. "Huh guess it's later then I thought." I muttered to myself.

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:44 pm
Sins says...

Xavier ap Ganthi -- Loner

It was about time. Finally, these people appeared to be allowing me to do whatever I wanted. Who knew that behaving so arrogantly and ghastly would get me so much more than what I started off with. It didn't even look as though I'd need my tattered blanket anymore. The Prince had given me water, food, sleeping bags, a map and even a Duri coin. I'd assumed that I'd have to eat and drink what I found in the lands, sometimes taking some items from any towns that I passed. Perhaps I would not have had to do that now? We will see.

One thing I did not like about the Prince at all was what he'd called me. Ap Ganthi. I loathed that name and everything it stood for. Every time I saw it, I saw my father's face. I was trying to get rid of it as my name; why did the Prince have remind everyone of it? I dearly hoped that no one had heard it clearly. I could not have any living soul calling me by it... The mere thought of it sent a wave of disgust through my body.

I had to leave as soon as possible. The second the Prince handed me the bag of supplies, the first thing I did was set off on my journey. I pulled my feet along the moist grass, excited at the prospect of finally escaping from this town which held so many distasteful memories for me. I shut my eyes as I left through the gates, inhaling the cold air. I hadn't entirely decided if I were to sleep tonight. My mind informed me of my exhaustion, but I was ever so eager to get going. I'd have to see how things went, I supposed.

The other two parties appeared to be behind me now, but I kept my eyes on them as the first party began departing. I'd decided to stay near them for as long as possible, whether I was in front or behind. That Aikan appeared to know what he was doing, so I'd have liked to have kept myself somewhat near him. A sudden gust of wind interrupted my thoughts. I wrinkled my toes in a rather pathetic attempt of warming them before glancing down at my feet. Hmm... I knew what I would do.

Sitting down beside one of the huge trees, I opened the bag that contained my old blanket and my knife. I needed rope... I shrugged. I supposed I could have simply used the blanket itself. I dove my hands into the bag, shuffling through it before grasping my blanket. I lifted the dirty rag to my mouth, ripping it with my teeth. I held the ripped piece up in front of me. Too small. I held the original blanket again, ripping it with my teeth once more. This time, its size was perfect.

I put the new rag under my left foot, pulling up the corners of it, eventually covering my freezing feet. Holding it in place, I grabbed the smaller rag and tied it around my bony ankle, securing the larger one in place. I smiled, rather pleased with myself. They weren't necessarily the best quality shoes, but they would do. I soon did the same on my other foot. The rags of the blanket weren't the best form of ropes to secure the "shoes", but I had plenty of material to use if they broke.

I jumped back up off the dirty floor, taking hold of both of my bags. I turned my eyes back down towards Ziras Fields, unable to see the first party. I could clearly see the second party, but there was no one to be seen that was a member of the first. They must have gone ahead of me. I cursed inwardly, lifting the bags over my shoulder. Checking my bags to make sure I had everything, I began walking, hoping to have the first party in sight soon.

As I began wandering, I sighed heavily in relief. I could have dropped the arrogant attitude now, come to think of it. It wasn't as though there was anyone to behave like that around anyway. It was almost astounding how well everything had gone. I'd made no friends, no one even appeared to like me a little, I had all of the supplies I could've wanted and I was actually facing the chance of finding him. I even had a pair of homemade shoes.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

If you can't get out of your comfort zone, you'll never find what you're looking for. Don't make things quick and easy to feel better short term. Make a change and then you'll feel better longer term.
— Frinderman