z

Young Writers Society

The Runaways (Accepting Characters)

85 Reviews

Reviews: 85
Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:20 am
Eniarrol says...

I looked up in suprise as Tomix came and sat next to me, my mind flickered at the possibility of a friend Why would he want to be your friend I thought and continued staring at the fire. Funny how innocent this fire looks it could be put out with a heavy gust of wind or a splash of water but if you give it too much juice it could take us to our graves. I shivered it really was starting to get cold out here.
I thought back to Tomix talking and joking with me it was a little thing and its seems funny but my heart was singing.
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:40 am
Vampyre says...

Storm

Storm smiled at Eli's sudden changing of the subject to her, before realising that meant she actually had to tell my story. His hadn't been as wild as she'd thought, an accidental fire, petty theft, breaking and entering? Now her charges were looking a lot more serious.
Taking a deep breath, she began, not quite daring to look Eli in the eyes.

"Well, I lived in a pretty rough neighbourhood. In our place, if you want to eat, you have to fight for it. You quickly become good, or you starve. The more food you get, the better your rep, it's how we measure ourselves. The ones with scars, like me...we're the ones to watch out for. Not many of us'll actually kill someone...but the losers soon die anyway. It's something you have to get used to - survival of the fittest and all that," she said, shrugging.

Storm dared to glance at Eli. She couldn't tell what he was thinking, but at least he was still listening. For now, at least. The worst was yet to come. The twirling of her knife in her hands became faster as she became more nervous.

"We were all in gangs. I was the thief, which meant I had to be the most skilled, the fastest, the quietest, the best with my knives. I was caught and slammed up a few times, but nothing serious. Until my last offence."

Her voice dropped again, but not flirtatiously this time, more in shame of what was to come.

"I...I was in a fight over a loaf of bread I'd stolen. The kid was pretty good, but a little slow. He feinted, I feinted, and I stabbed in, meaning to nick his skin, but he..."

Another deep breath, but the words were tumbling out now, eager to be shared"

"He stepped in, trying to dodge under my arm, and I swear I never meant to-I honestly didn't, I never wanted to hurt him badly, I...I didn't mean to, I didn't want to, but I did. He stepped right into my knife. Oh god, the blood..."

Storm struggled to remain composed in front of Eli, an old reflex, not to show weakness. She needed to stop blabbing on like a crying child.
It seemed like an age, but was really only a few seconds until her breathing was under control again, and she was calm, ready to confirm what he'd probably already guessed was coming.

"My knife went straight across his throat. He died before he'd even touched the ground. The police found me standing there, in shock at what I'd done. I was up for Manslaughter."

Her eyes anxiously searched Eli's face for a sign he wouldn't take her for a murderer. She was cold, and she was a thief, but she would never get over the way the kid - it was too painful to remember he had had a name - died, right in front of her, at her hand. Storm was bad, she knew that, but she could never be a killer. She could only hope others could see that too.
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:33 pm
MilkNCookies says...

Tomix

"Are you ok, Viola?" I asked. She didn't reply, just looked at the fire. "I was alone, and bored, when I was out here to, you know. It was harsh. No one understood you, but whenthe times were roughest, and I needed a friend... No one was there. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy. I don't want it to happen to you. I don't want such beauty to go to waste." I said, mock flirting. She smiled a tad.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:55 pm
Blueskysummer says...

Eli

Eli couldn't believe what he was hearing. her story... it made his seem shallow and uppity, he'd never had to fight for food, all of his activities had just been for the thrill of the chase. hers had been for her own survival. He suddenly felt both a wave of guilt for his spoiled life and a bigger wave of regret for asking the question in the first place. he put a hand on her shoulder, trying to support her, as even telling the story seemed to drain her physically. this caught a few looks from others around the fire, and he tried to shift to keep her face out of sight incase she started crying.

"Hey, It's alright." He tried, not really knowing the words that would calm her. "Whatever you did, it wasn't your fault. me? I made my own mistakes, for the sheer reason of making them. but you... you didn't mean to, I'm sure. It was dog-eat-dog out there." he offered her a weak smile, doubting it would work. he wanted to go back, to keep the lid closed on this, at least until later, but what was done was done. he kept his hand on her shoulder, his other arm flicking uselessly at his lighter, both wanting to open it as a stress relief and keeping it closed for courtesy. and her knife kept flipping, flipping...
Hmmm...this snake is called a "Water Moccasin" so in THEORY I should be able to strap them to my feet and cross this river like Jesus?

Hush. Optimus is speaking.

"I get it, the first rule of robot fight club is you don't talk about robot fight club." -Jack, Transformers Prime

85 Reviews

Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 am
Eniarrol says...

"I was alone, and bored, when I was out here to, you know. It was harsh. No one understood you, but when the times were roughest, and I needed a friend... No one was there. I wouldn't wish that upon my worst enemy. I don't want it to happen to you. I don't want such beauty to go to waste." Tomix flirted.
I smiled faintly what was he up to? I found myself staring into his eyes cool dark, beautiful . I blushed as I found him staring at me questioningly. Nervously I brushed a strand of black hair off my face offering a smile to Tomix I shifted closer towards him. Weird I thought never had I been so comfortable with anyone in my life.
A hero isn’t defined by winning. Loads of heroes die in the effort. Most of them never get any recognition. No, a hero is just somebody who does the right thing when it would be far, far easier to do nothing.

~Previously SweetMoments

23 Reviews

Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 am
Vampyre says...

Storm

The fact that Eli was trying nearly made Storm cry, but more with relief that he had accepted her than anything else. She didn't, though. You didn't survive for long if you were weak. Shifting slightly in her seat, she smiled up at Eli.
"Thanks, for everything. You wouldn't mind if this went no further? As far as you know, I'm just in for theft."
Without waiting for an answer she got up and abruptly left Eli, leaving nothing more than a look, and a lingering smile.

She stretched as she made her way over to a dark corner of the patch the fire was built in. Retreiving her backpack from where she'd hidden it in a hollow filled over with some inedible cacti, she pulled out a thin blanket, which she spread out and curled up, cat-like on, using the backpack as a pillow. Relying on the night not dropping too cold, she closed her eyes, pulling her bare limbs in closer to her body as a breeze started to pick up around the fire.

49 Reviews

Reviews: 49
Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:12 am
MilkNCookies says...

Tomix

I listened to everyone's converstions, butting in every now and then. Tahoi came up from behind, nudging my back pocket.

"I don't have any food for you, boy." I said. "Catch a mouse, or something."

"Hawww." He huffed.

"Just go beg, then." I could am=lmost understand his speech. The madness must be settling in.
"Fantasy is a way of looking through the wrong end of the telescope."

"The writer who breeds more words than he needs is making a chore for the reader who reads!"

~Dr.Seuss.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:55 am
Cspr says...

K.J.:

I walked into camp just to find about everyone asleep. I threw a dusty stick I'd found into the fire, then just went over to my stuff. I got out another blanket for Ara, who was already asleep, and I just sat down, bored and unsure.

Maybe I'd just go to New Hampshire. Wasn't their legal adult age sixteen or something?

I mean, it wasn't like I had anything to compare to this group with. I wasn't a criminal. I'd just wanted to get away from downtown Alabama with its meth makers, illegal immigrants galore, gangs, ladies-of-the-night, and hoarders.

Now I was back in a mess of it again.
Swell...
My SPD senses are tingling.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:47 pm
Teardrop says...

Cozete

In the wind, I pulled my knees to my chest and pulled my hands in my sweatshirt. I could barely keep my eyes open, and so eventually drowsiness swept over my and I layed down on my side. I soon drifted off into sleep.

Tonight I dreamed I was back home. My mother was at work downtown at the little computer shop my dad used to own. My dad left before I was born, so my mom took over the shop. At the shop, she fixed and repaired broken and bruised computers and technology. She also sold used games and machines.

I guess I had my dad's computer smarts, well at least that's what my mom said. I could take apart anything and put it back together in minutes. Hacking people was my hobby.

I sat snug in my bed, a thin quilt laid over my body, I was twelve. The moon was shining out the window, but my eyes were wide open and I was pumped.

My toes hit the floor, a raggy looking carpet. I slid across my bedroom floor, and exited into the short hallway. I found my way to my mother's room. Inside, it was a mess. The floor was covered in my mom's crappy junk and th bed was a mess. The alarmclock on the bedside table said 6:00 AM. This meant my mom would be home in seven hours. She'd always worked wierd hours.

My heart pumped as my eyes set on a mini laptop sitting on her bedtop. I picked it up, and opened it. The screen lit up, and I began to log onto the internet. I typed " Dana Baker" in the search bar. I was searching for my father, I usually did this every night. I didn't think I'd ever find him, I was just curious to see where he was and who he was, if he was still out there. It was almost as if I didn't want to find him, because he might not even want to see me.
And are the doctors dancing in, while the ambulances sing. Another boy without a sharper knife. The moment, that's where I kill the conversation, wrap this up with a knife that loves to feel. How do you know how deep to go before it's real?
- Yeah Boy And Doll Face ~ Pierce The Veil

85 Reviews

Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:23 am
Eniarrol says...

The stars shined brightly like tiny pin pricks in the vast navy sky. The breeze made me shiver as the fire had now been reduced to smoldering embers giving off no heat unless you practically sat on them. I had already tried sleeping, but i was restless thoughts of the house filled my head would it be better to give in and go back i was tired of feeling ill,hungry and tired it was time we did something whether giving up or moving on probably the latter as there was a reason why i never called "the house" home.

~Previously SweetMoments

23 Reviews

Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:28 am
Vampyre says...

Storm

Storm slowly opened her eyes, wincing at the harsh sunlight that already dominated the landscape. She stretched out of her cat-like position, slowly uncurling her limbs into the dry, dusty air. There wasn't much going on, a few people were stirring slightly, a few sleeping, scattered about the clearing. Storm reached for her backpack, checking her few possessions; she still didn't trust anyone at this camp, not even Eli.

After verifying everything was there, she tucked it back into the hollow where it was hidden and pulled herself to her feet. Slipping out her knife almost without noticing, she stepped quietly around the huddled bodies, looking for an open bag, or anything that looked like it might contain food, or anything worth bartering when they reached somewhere occupied by people. After a minute or so she noticed a dark 'pack on the ground, lying at the foot of its owner. She couldn't remember his name, T.J? J.J?

K.J, that was it. He seemed pretty fast asleep so she silently knelt down and quickly opened the bag, keeping an ear on the guy's breathing. Her fingers quickly closed on some kind of snack bar, which she quickly pulled out, and in quick succession a bag of dried fruit. Picking up her spoils, she returned to her bag and packed the fruit into the bottom, keeping out the snack bar. Replacing her bag, she unwrapped the bar she'd stolen and bit into it, waiting for the rest of the camp to wake up so they could move on and out of the punishing desert.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:16 pm
Blueskysummer says...

Eli

Storm's sudden depart from his side surprised Eli, but he probably should have expected it. This girl was different, revealing and open one moment, protective and withdrawn the next. She... intrigued him, to say the least. He looked back to the fire, rolling her heavy secret around his mind like a steel ball, but knowing it would go no farther than him. leaving Storm to her solitude, he poked more at the fire, shifting the logs to allow oxygen in.

He didn't realize he had fallen asleep until a rustling of sand jerked him awake. He was stiff and his neck hurt; he had fallen asleep sitting up, his fire-tending stick still loosely in his fingers. He heard a bit of rustling behind him, and a few moments later the shape of Storm snuck back to her spot, a couple of small items in her hands. Eli remained motionless as she passed, save for a tiny smile that crossed his lips. Theft, huh? He'd be sure to keep one eye on his bag from then on, though her midnight excursion amused him.

Eli waited patiently for her to settle down again before rising to add more wood from the pile to the fire. it had nearly died out in the night, but in a few minutes it was roaring and lively again. The boy settled down beside it, stretching his cramped back and neck, then settling on a more comfortable position, curled up on his side beside the flames.
Hmmm...this snake is called a "Water Moccasin" so in THEORY I should be able to strap them to my feet and cross this river like Jesus?

Hush. Optimus is speaking.

"I get it, the first rule of robot fight club is you don't talk about robot fight club." -Jack, Transformers Prime

23 Reviews

Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:10 am
Vampyre says...

Storm

Storm froze as the flames grew higher. She couldn't quite see Eli from where she was sitting, but she hoped that he was asleep, not lying by the fire watching her consume stolen food. Deciding that it must have been a stray breeze of wind fanning the fire, she rose, rummaging through her bag to find a clean (ish) T-shirt. Pulling out the two she'd packed, Storm briefly contemplated the baggy MCR tour shirt, before rejecting it in favour of her favourite Green Day grenade one. Stuffing the other back, she crept off to find somewhere quiet to change, swapping the dusty Rise Against logo for a red, heart shaped 'nade. Smoothing the shirt down, she rebuckled her knife belt over it.

Bunching the old T-shirt in her hand, Storm was about to head back to the camp when a small clicking noise cut into the air behind her. It didn't much interest her until the thought that it hadn't come from the direction of camp jolted into her. Moving without thinking, she spun round, simultaneously yanking her knife out from its resting place.
"Don't think I'll hesitate to use this, and I should warn you, I'm good." She snarled, keeping the shock from her voice.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:07 am
BrooklynWriter says...

NAME: Samantha Brookes

APPEARANCE: Sam has black hair with an electric blue streak. Her eyes are a deep sapphire. She is five foot nine and quite slim.

PERSONALITY: Sam is quiet and forceful. She isn't bossy but she has a very strong opinion. She is also stubborn and impulsive.

BACKGROUND/HISTORY: Sam never really got along with her parents. They were against her style, her attitude, and her beliefes. They beat her down mentally and drover into a deep depression. One day, she just ran away. After only a week on the run she tried to commit suicide. She survived but only barely. In the hospital a child services representative attempted to put her into the system. She downright refused but this wasn't an option. She began to fight with the rep and knocked her unconsious. When the police came she was being restrained by a few doctors. She elbowed her way away from the doctors and kicked an officer in a place men do not want to be kicked. It was then that she was officially on the run.

ORIGINAL OR PICK UP: Pick up

If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.
— Woodrow Wilson