Young Writers Society

Darkmoor Juvenile Prison

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:17 am
Lava says...

Vivian J.

Vivian had passed on the note to Kisa. He was still trying to figure out what this new boy was made of.
Less than an a week, and he talks about escaping. An escape, huh? Well, wouldn't hurt to go along and see what this new kid can do. If he does manage to do something...
He peeked at Kisa, waiting to see what her reaction would be. She was frowning. The next instant she crumpled a note. Viv looked away. He figured he might as well ask later.
Reynolds was scribbling a bunch of sines and cosines. Maths. He never really liked it. In fact, he never really liked any subject. His argument was that he had already found a means for survival, so these subjects were a waste of time.

He didn't realize when Reynolds had begun history, but all he knew was that Reynolds was asking the new kid to read from his book. He never understood why people bothered with the dead so much.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:00 pm
jok101 says...

Nick Brown

Mr Reynolds asked me to read from the book, I did, Some boring shit about medicle history. I mean prehistoric really. They had it wrong we get it. I finished reading and went back to planning the escape. Okay I had step 1 part 1 in the bag. I needed now was an opertunity to get all the people that were in in one place, so they knew the plan. Football practise the next day? the boys would be easy even if their were a lot of guards watching us. It would be the talking to the girls that would cause problems. The real dilemma was deciding weather to try and start my plan now or later once I'd spoken to the people.

I decided now. I scribbled an insult down on a piece of paper. you wanker I wrought. I dropped the note on the floor and bent down to pick it up as if someone had thrown it at me and it had bounced off me onto the floor. I un-crumpled it and spent a few seconds pretending to read it. I jumped up out of my seat and walked over to one of the weedy looking people in the class, I didn't know his name and I didn't know his crime, I knew what I needed from him though. I started yelling at him and insulting him until Mr Reynolds shouted at me to stop. Two of the guards in the classroom stepped forward.

"Mr Brown what are you doing" Reynolds shouted. I handed him the note.

"Look what that wanker wrought about me" I shouted back.

"Grow up mr Brown and that little outburst just cost you thirty minutes detention out of your free time." Reynolds said, he looked to the guards for confirmation the fatter of the two shrugged his shoulders in a 'whatever,sure' sort of way. I sat down pretending to look pissed off. I was smiling inside, the plan was set into motion.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:26 pm
Rydia says...

Tobias LaBelle

As the day came to an end, Tobias was feeling pretty edgy. It wasn't every day he agreed to escape from prison afterall. The guards were marching them back to their cells where they would spend the remainder of the afternoon, and the evening. They were even fed their evening meal in their cells, how sucky was that? Tobias thought Juvy should be more like the asylums for the insane. At least there the people got to walk about and had such things as day schools. Sigh.

They reached his cell and Tobias entered it demurely, waiting for them to lock him in. He had stuff at least. They let you have a little stuff when you were at Juvy and Tobias had a few dog eared books, some paper and a felt tip pen. He'd wanted a pencil but apparently he might stab himself with a pencil so he had to make do with the purple felt tip pen. It was a shame he didn't have a bunk mate anymore. Most of the others had another person to keep them company but not Tobias. No. Because the last boy who shared with Tobias had decided he didn't like the prison life. He'd decided he liked it so little that he'd tried to smash his head open against the wall. That didn't go down well. He'd been moved to another prison or something and since then, Tobias had been waiting for a new cell mate. He was rather annoyed that Nick didn't get paired with him but ah well. The new boy seemed like he wouldn't last long anyway. It was probably his crazy idea to escape.

That was really worrying. Had they agreed to join some lunatic's quickly thought out plan? Tobias hoped not but it was rather suspicious that the day the new boy started the note started circulating. Or maybe a more clever inmate did that on purpose. Whatever. All this thinking was making his head hurt so Tobias started doing some exercises to take his mind off of it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:50 pm
Cspr says...

(Hey. Um, sorry to barge in...I'm new and decided I wanted to try a storybook. I put my info with the other profiles...not sure if that's right... I've RPed before but this is a different sort of format...)
My SPD senses are tingling.

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:55 pm
Elinor says...

Yes, that's fine! You can go ahead and make your first post as a new arrival to this detention area. ;) We're just in class right now.

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

180 Reviews

Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:16 pm
Cspr says...

(Thanks!)

Louis S.--

I glanced around warily, not liking this new place. I couldn't do much more, either. They had my feet and hands shackled together for cryin' out loud. I mean, really, I wasn't that dangerous. I was harmless. But they wouldn't buy it. Morons. Couldn't they see I was the victim here?

I sighed loudly, annoyed, and a guard gave me a look, one of those anxious, yet hateful, ones I was now used to. I gave him a grin, creepy as I could get it, and then waited to see what would happen now.

Maybe I was just a sociopath. That'd make it easier, wouldn't it? Would asylums be nicer than prisons? I didn't know.

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:46 pm
BenFranks says...

Reginald "Reggie/The Priest" Carter

Thanks to the government and the old human rights what-not, I was allowed to walk around the cells for twenty minutes before I too would be locked away. This was due to some kind of relgious freedoms aspect that had progressively been introduced so that I could offer reconciliation for those who were religious among the Juvies. It was an interesting twenty minutes, draping my heavy boots behind three guards as I walked from cell to cell to observe each rotting youth's drone of silence. I passed one of the new lad's cells. He was shackled together at his feet and his hands. I was curious as to his disposition as I watched him think. He peered at me with an unusual steamed sense of curiousity and thus implied the feelings were mutual. I knew this lad dispised the idea of being shackled, and it was part of my instinct to find out why he had been. I pulled my face close to the bars, and grinned, my hand gesturing for him to come forward.

"What's your name, lad?" I asked.

"What's it to you?" he shot back - as I had long come to know as the standard response to my query.

"I can get you out of those shackles and chains," I smiled and nodded to one of the guards who nodded back. The guard didn't over hear us, nor did he know what I was saying, but the image of such a gesture gave the new lad a surge of confidence, as though he were speaking to someone with some kind of importance or power. I liked the feeling of being a necessity and would sacrifice any of my preachings for such an affection; thus I played along.

"Louis," he groaned. "And who are you?"

"I'm the Priest. And today is your lucky day; 'cause I'm in a generous mood. I shall get you out of those shackles and chains and all I ask in return is that you remember I did so," I said. Then, without waiting for an answer, I looked around to one of the youngest guards of the three. He went by the name of Paul and I could tell by his inexperience that he had a current of intimidated awe about him.

"Paul, I want to see the Warden."

180 Reviews

Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:35 pm
Cspr says...

Louis S.

I chuckled, shaking my head. I knew it was too good to be true. This "Priest" guy was probably one of those mobster freaks or somethin', like the gangbangers back home but worse. And most of 'em had funny accents, which didn't help anything.

"You a prisoner, too?" I ask, finally speaking up, noticing how the guards feared him.

That would either be good or bad for me. I decided to keep my opinions to myself and not ask him questions, especially ones with Shawshank Redemption references. That's what I felt like, though. That moron with the rock hammer thing-y.

Either way or whatever, I wanted out of these effin' chains.

((...I don't really know what I just wrote. Too much chocolate and coffee. Hope that's fine...eh...))

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:17 pm
XChangeX says...

(Welcome Cspr :) I'm Rae, Need anything, just ask :))

-Andi Koren-
I marched back to my cell with the rest of the lot. I was running the day through my head, wondering about all of the note passing in class today. It was unusual to say the least. I had a hunch that Nick, the new kid, had started it, the note that went around to most everyone that is. The note from Lisa was cute, not very friendly though, just a fiend looking for a fix.
I walked into my cell, still in cuffs like the rest of the inmates, and faced the entrance of my cell until all of the doors clicked shut simultaneously and stuck my hands out of the three inch slot in my steel door to be un-cuffed. Once free I went about fixing the room..... hell, who am I kidding? I was looking for my stash. While tapping on all of the blocks in the cell an orange jumpsuit caught my eye, Reg doing his evening rounds. He had stopped at some new mark, still in his chains, probably had just got outta the fish tank. I hung by my door, hoping reg would stop by my cell after he was done with fish boy. I was bothered not being in on the up and up with things in my prison.
The only constant in our lives is Change.

Revelations 21:4
He will wipe every tear from their eye. There will be no more mourning or death or pain. There will be no more crying for the old way of things has gone away.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:55 am
Lava says...

Vivian J.

He was sitting on the bench inside the cell. His plate lay in front of half empty. He knew he had to finish it, but he didn't feel like it. The note's words still played around in his head. And that too, a newbie, he thought. His cell mate would arrive in a few days. He wondered what sort of a room mate Nick would be. He didn't want to give up the upper bunk. It was so much more roomier than the lower one. And besides, he didn't want to give a new kid the upper bunk rights.

He heard the sound of shuffled feet. It was probably the guard. If it was the young one, he could ask him for sum gum. Chewing gum helped him think. He had been getting on more friendly terms with this guard. He had to talk to his friend. They had planned that if either of them were convicted, the other wouldn't visit them and would proceed with their work. It's been months and Vivian wanted to know how well their stash was thriving and if it had multiplied.
He listened intently anyway to the sound. There seemed to be more feet. He tried to see through the bars in the dimly lit corridor. He could make out two or three people.

And then , it struck him. Reggie. He usually had these 'walks' on which god knows what he did. He was glad that Reggie had never spoken to him directly on these walks.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 pm
Rydia says...

Just a note: Since some characters have been inactive, I've moved the cell arrangements around. Louis is going to have a cell to himself for the moment and as of tomorrow be paired with Reginald. Leslie is going to be on his own and I'm putting Marcus in with Tobias. For the girls, Gabriella and Alisandra are now together and the inactive Jada and Katrina have been paired, as have Carrie and Annaleigh.

Tobias LaBelle

When a new set of guards entered the cell block, Tobias heard the difference in their boots. Those were steel capped hard boots, not the regulation soft ones that the prison guards here wore. So. Someone new had arrived? Tobias paused in his work out and slowly stood up, his skin glistening with the sweat of some darn good push ups.

"Back away from the bars!" An unfamiliar voice barked. Tobias could see the men now and he cocked an eyebrow at the sight of the 'boy' he was going to be sharing a cell with. More like mountain. He didn't think he'd seen a youth so big before, or one so angry looking. The boy was practically made for juvy the way those eyebrows of his made sharp v's on his forehead. Tobias moved back a little and a few moments later, handcuffs removed, Tobias had a cell-mate again. He watched the other boy warily.

"What do they call you?" Tobias asked as the men left them to it. "Top bunk's mine by the way."

"Fine," the boy mumbled. Toby smirked to himself. He decided that maybe he'd got it wrong, the boy didn't seem so big and tough afterall.

"I said what's your name?" Tobias repeated.

"Marcus," the boy said as he set a small jar down on his bunk.

"What's that there, Marcus?" Toby asked. He wasn't usually so confrontational but everyone who'd been here a while knew you had to stake your claims in good. Toby was used to being the boss of his cell and he wanted to keep it that way.

"None of your business," Marcus mumbled.

"Oh I think it is," Toby said, flexing his muscles. He didn't actually intend to hit the kid, or he wasn't going to throw the first punch at least. He did want to show his teeth a little though. "Mind if I take a look?"
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:13 pm
Tigersprite says...

Aiden Omi

I stretched myself out on the lower bunk and sighed. I hated being cooped up in this cell. The small size. The rank smell of the mattresses I don't think had ever been washed. The grey, lifeless walls. It was all so depressing. And the worst thing of all? I was stuck in this place with Kisa. Only hell could be worse.

As it was, she was whistling some song or other. As usual, only to annoy me.

I sighed again and moved towards the bars. There were no guards around, and I went back to my bunk.

I coughed, and whispered, "So...are you in?"

"Eh?" came the not at all loud reply.

"Are you in? You know with the...you know."

"...Are there any guards about?"

"No. I just checked."

There was a loud creak and she swung her torso over the bars to look at me. "'Course. I guess you are? Then again, probably just everybody'll be in."

"Do you think we'll get far? Because we'll be fugitives and everything. The police'll be looking for us and all--"

"Aiden?"

"Yes."

"Leave me alone." There was another creak and she lay down again. I sighed. Maybe I shouldn't have agreed to this plan. We might not escape. We might get caught.

We might be free.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

411 Reviews

Reviews: 411
Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:07 pm
BenFranks says...

Reginald "Reggie/The Priest" Carter

"Hello Mister Carter," the Warden said as she shook my hand and then perched her large rear into a chair across the table from me. I decided to stand and reject any offer of a beverage, as I always did. The Warden had learnt to appreciate that I didn't use my position in the jail to attempt to get any privalaiges above the inmates, and merely held it as a post of responsibility.

"Hello, Ma'am," I said graciously, studying the emotive jump of her eyebrows as she tried to analyse my purpose. "I wanted to speak to you about Mister Louis. One of the new inmates."

"Ah, yes," she replied. "He's a little ruthless. What do you want and what do you expect to give me for it?"

"Ah, Ma'am, I am not looking to beg you out of your way. I merely ask that when the inmate is contained within his cell, that he be de-shackled and unchained. It is a simple question of rights and ethics."

The Warden nodded in thought, her large chin sinking into the fat around her throat as she did so. Then, she stood up and walked over to me, pushing her face close to mine and groaning: "Okay, Mister Carter. You have a deal; however, I will make new cell arangements so that you will share with the new inmate Mister Louis. Understood?"

"Awfully gracious of you, Ma'am," I smiled and walked out, "I will just finish around the cells, if you don't mind Paul."

"Not at all, Mister Carter," he said nervously after the Warden gave him a reassuring nod.

"How kind of you."

180 Reviews

Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:39 pm
Cspr says...

Louis S.:

I'd moved so I could sit perched on the metal bed thing in here. Not sure what it's purpose was, since it didn't have a mattress. But, what else could I do but wait for something to happen?
I just sigh and twist my hands again and again, even though it won't matter with these metal cuffs. Maybe if I could knock my wrist out of... No, that'd be too painful. And I'd have to do both. And I still wasn't sure how that worked...
And I was still in a cell.

//You seriously thought you could get out? Moron. They'd just finally have an honest to God reason to hold you!//

((Thoughts = //(text)//. Or it could be italics...eh...))

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:36 am
Ryanator96 says...

Marcus

"Mind if I take a look?" The curly haired boy asked, and reached for the jar. I smacked his hand out of the way. He looked up at me, as if to say 'bad idea'. He went for it again, but this time I shoved him back and stepped in between him and the bunks. He just glared at me.

"Who the hell do you think you are?" He said through clenched teeth. Oh boy, was he ever pissed.

I glared right back, my face locking into a steely, penetrating stare that has been known to make a grown man back off. This kid, however, didn't even flinch.

We stood like that for a moment, staring each other down, sizing each other up.

"Are you going to answer my question?" He demanded. I didn't move. "Alright then. Do you know who I am?" He took a step closer, and looked me over once again. "Or why I'm here? Well apparently not, otherwise you wouldn't be acting like a total moron right now." He tried to reach around me and grab the jar again. That was it. I was so done with this kid. I shoved him back, and he slammed into the bars of the cell. Before he could react, I was on him, with a good hold of his shirt, my fist pulled back, ready to strike.

I was about to deliver the knockout punch when a dark shadow crept up behind him. The warden's face was barely visible in the dim light, but you could tell she wasn't happy.

"I really wouldn't do that if I were you." Her words were quiet, but powerful and... scary.

The kid I had pinned was grinning up at me. So badly was I tempted to drop him then and there, but I didn't. I pushed him against the bars one more time, just to give his back something to remember. He broke free and took a step back.

"Come with me." The warden said. I looked at her, then headed in the direction of my bunk. Not a chance I was going to leave that jar with this freak.

"I'm THIS WAY." She barked. Now she was mad. I froze, looked back over my shoulder, and kept walking. Not only did I grab the jar, but I also laid down in my bed, ready for sleep. I saw my cellmate staring at me, he didn't look surprised or confused, nor was he looking at me like I was pathetic, no. He was studying me intensely, trying to figure out what I am achieving from this. Apparently this doesn't happen often.

I looked over at the warden again, and even through the drakness, her face was glowing as red as coals in a fire. She snapped her finger, and two guards came forward, unlocked the gate, and marched straight at me.

I just smiled. This is going to be a fun sentence.
The future ain't what it used to be.

Poetry and prayer are very similar.
— Carol Ann Duffy