z

Young Writers Society

One Riot, One Ranger

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 pm
View Likes
Ranger Hawk says...

Araluen: home of the Rangers--they keep the peace in the kingdom. They're highly skilled in archery, pulling off nearly impossible shots. They're known for their ability to blend in with their surroundings and to seemingly appear out of nowhere. Normal folk claim that the Rangers have magical abilities and superstition clouds these mysterious people--which is just the way they like it.

In the Ranger Corps, there's a force called the Special Task Group--they're the ones called on to investigate dealings in foreign countries, major uprisings, and bigger problems than general. Usually, they live by the phrase, "One riot, one Ranger"--meaning that it only takes one Ranger to take care of a problem.

But right now, it's going to take much more than a single Ranger to confront this problem. A warlord named Lord Muertre, from Gallica, has been raising a vast army to attack Araluen. He and his followers have been cutting a path through Gallica, killing those who won't join his masses. Rumor has it that Lord Muertre has some lethal weapons: vicious, dragon-like creatures trained to do his bidding. The Special Task Group is being called upon to stop him before he can reach their precious homeland of Araluen and destroy it.

You are a member of the Special Task Group--your kingdom is depending on you and your group to save them. How will you stand up to the job?

*This is a storybook based off of the Ranger's Apprentice series. If you've never read the series, but would like to join, you're more than welcome. Feel free to PM me with any questions about it.*

The setting: the Kingdom of Araluen; traveling to different lands like Gallica, Skandia, Arridi, Hibernia, etc., is just fine.

Here's a map:
Spoiler! :

We'll obviously have to cross the sea to get to Gallica, so we'll head to the coastline first.

The timeframe: We're not having anything to do with the books' events or characters. This is all taking place quite a few generations after Will, Halt, Horace, and the rest of the cast. If you feel like mentioning the legendary Will Treaty or perhaps singing "Graybeard Halt," you're more than welcome. But they're not going to be in this storybook; it's the newest generation of Rangers.

The characters: To keep things simple, there are only going to be three different roles you can play: a Ranger, Ranger's Apprentice, or an Apprentice Warrior. I'll go into more detail further down on each role.

Character descriptions:

Rangers: Highly trained individuals that use brains over brawn whenever they can; they have mottled gray-green cloaks that help them to blend in with their surroundings. They've been trained to move silently and unseen. Their standard weapons are a longbow, a quiver with 24 arrows, a saxe knife (which is like a long, strong dagger), and a throwing knife. In addition, they each have a horse that they have a special bond with. Ranger horses are specially trained to obey certain commands and are much more intelligent than normal horses.

Ranger's apprentices: Same as Rangers, only they're obviously not quite as skilled and are still learning. If you have an apprentice, you need to figure out a master for them, whether that's another character of yours or someone else's that you've both agreed on.

Apprentice warrior: Proficiently skilled swordsman; they have the normal weapons, like a longsword and a dagger. They also have a battlehorse. They're the brawn to the Rangers' brains--whenever someone needs a walloping, they're the one for the job.

Character Palette:

Code: Select all
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Role (Ranger, Ranger's Apprentice, or Apprentice Warrior):[/b]
[b]Weapons:[/b]
[b]Appearance:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
[b]Other:[/b]

Normal YWS rules apply: No cussing, no extreme gory violence, no sex scenes, and use proper grammar and spelling. You can have two characters maximum. PM me if you have any questions.

Let it begin! :D
Last edited by Ranger Hawk on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:10 pm
SisterItaly says...

can i haz two carries? *puppy dog face*
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

482 Reviews

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:31 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Ranger Hawk wrote:You can have two characters maximum.

;) Go ahead!

~Rick Castle

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:40 pm
SisterItaly says...

YAYZ!
Name:Clare

Role: Ranger Apprentice

Weapons: Bow and arrow, daggers (she likes to throw them)

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: She is fun and bubbly, but a total follower, listens to Davis so she doesn't talk much. When she does she sounds like a complete bimbo, but she has her moments.

Other:She doesn't remember much about her past, just the things Davis tells her. If she were to find out he lied to her, that all she knows is a lie... she would be up for love.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Name:Davis

Role:Ranger

Weapons:Daggers, finds bow and arrows unnecessary, but if you didnt guess he still uses the bow and arrow

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality:He is cold and heartless, and he'll do whatever it takes to get what he wants. He is quiet the smart-Alec and will smart of to anyone, often resulting in a fight. He says he loves Clare, but he really only likes her for her looks.

Other:He knows Clare's past, but she hated him. So when he found her with amnesia he kidnapped her and told her they were together. Of course she believes him. If Clare found out, he would probably run away, or get himself killed, either way. He has a habit of telling people his secrets, because his guilty conscious catches up with him, so it will be likely he'll tell someone about Clare.
Last edited by SisterItaly on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

482 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:08 am
Ranger Hawk says...

allmixedup wrote:Weapons:Daggers, finds bow and arrows unnecessary

Hey there, I don't want to be all nitpicky, but just to let you know, a Ranger's main weapons are the bow and arrows...they're basically the staple weapon, so I'd suggest that he still has them, but maybe just doesn't use them as much as his dagger or something. ;) Thanks!

~Rick Castle

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:38 am
ridersofdamar says...

Name: Sorin Malkier
Role (Ranger, Ranger's Apprentice, or Apprentice Warrior): Ranger
Weapons: Is very talented with a bow, but is not afraid to fight with a short sword and heavy knife combo.
Appearance:

Personality: Unlike other Rangers, who were picked, he volunteered. A tragedy early in his life left him without a will to live. He sought out the ranger of his barony, Castiel, and volunteered. He was taken on as long as he worked hard, but when he stopped he would be dropped and left to find his own way. He worked hard for the next five years, and became a ranger at an early age. The more he worked to be a ranger the more and more he began to get a sense of his life. While still grim, his death wish is gone, and instead he tries his best to help the people he can.
Other:
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

126 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 126
Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:12 pm
Day says...

Yay, you finally made it! Let us make this amazing, and actually draw it out a bit. Could we start from when we are in Araluen?

@allmixedup: can we try to keep the love factor to a very minimum in this storybook?

Name: Hutch

Weapons: Carries the normal weapons of a ranger. The Saxe knife, throwing knife and recurve bow.

Appearance: Being one of the younger rangers his youthful features can still be seen underneath the mottled ranger cloak. He has brown hair that is cut thinly, but it quite long. Hazel eyes capture those who get to look at them. This white man stands at 5ft 8in. Like most rangers his upper body is well built, but he isn't the fastest runner.

Personality: Being one of younger rangers he tries to be more mature like the imposing older rangers, but for the most part he fails, and is still as talkative as an Apprentice. Since he is a full fledged ranger there is no need to ask questions to the other rangers, so sometimes he will talk with the apprentices. In a serious situation he will lose all sense of fun and become totally focused on what is happening.

Other: he is the corps best tracker, and almost never fails to lose his target for a long time.
"If the king doesn't lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?"

41 Reviews

Reviews: 41
Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:20 pm
Billy says...

Name: Taggart

Role: Ranger

Weapons: The standard ranger equipment, along with an extra throwing knife and a long-bladed dagger.

Appearance: http://jackieocean.deviantart.com/art/R ... anger&qo=4

Personality: Taggart is one of the more outwardly laid back rangers. He is incredibly sure of his own skill, and seems to live to prove the "One Riot, One Ranger" motto. He is given to joking about one thing or another at any time, and believes himself to be at least somewhat lucky. However, this belief isn't well reflected in the gambling he has a penchant for, and he also has a tendency to drink himself stupid, though he tries to avoid doing this on the job.

Other: Often works with Edmund.

Name: Edmund

Role: Apprentice Warrior

Weapons: Broadsword, lance, and shield.

Appearance: http://kirkyllla.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2q2q23

Personality: Edmund is hot-headed and would rush into just about any battle if he wasn't constantly constrained by being made to work with Taggart. He resents being treated like a child by many of the older warriors for being partnered with a ranger, and often tries to prove his strength to those around him.

Other:
He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt. - Yossarian, Catch-22

Wide-eyed stupid.

If you're gonna rule the world, you've gotta get up early! - Joel S. Dickens

482 Reviews

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:54 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

This is awesome, only a couple more people and then we'll start! :D

@Day -- that was the plan, we're going to head out from the Gathering and make our way to Gallica (I think I'll get a map up, too)

*Edit -- the map's up in the first post, we'll be heading towards the coastline to cross the Narrow Sea to get to Gallica.

And I just realized I never posted my profile...durdurdur, so here I go.

Name: Joseph Tailor (mostly called "Tail", due to his proficient tracking abilities)

Role (Ranger, Ranger's Apprentice, or Apprentice Warrior): Ranger's Apprentice -- I need a master, anyone willing to have me?

Weapons: Standard apprentice weapons: recurve bow, saxe knife, throwing knife

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Personality: Very energetic, friendly, curious, and impulsive; he respects his master greatly but will often do something reckless if not checked in time

Other: Not up for love, thank you; and his horse's name is Flame

~Rick Castle

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:53 pm
ridersofdamar says...

I guess if no one else wants to.
Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

126 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:47 pm
Day says...

Ranger if you want your character can be my apprentice because both seem to be proficient in tracking.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:30 am
Apple says...

Name: Hespher Worhten

Role (Ranger, Ranger's Apprentice, or Apprentice Warrior): Ranger's Apprentice.

Weapons: A large bow slung over her shoulder, two dagger tied to her leather shoes. Hespher has two strong, yet very thin chopstick-like blades keeping her hair out of her face. They look like nothing but hair accessories, though they are more dangerous then that. Her arrows all have red feathers tied to the end, and only one has a golden bell which she uses only to alert people she is allied with.

Appearance:Hespher has long honey brown hair that falls in the little of her back. Her coal brown eyes are always wavering, searching for a sense of adventure. Molasses brown freckles fleck all over her caramel tan skin, thick yet short and stubby, black eye lashes framing her eyes. Hespher can easily conceal herself because of her small frame, and her quiet nature.

Personality:Quiet girl, who always lurks in the shadows, most disregard Hespher's existence. She usually waits for her opponents to make the first move before she will ever strike. Her eyes always widen whenever she speaks as she is nervous if she will somehow make those around her hate her.

Other:N/A
Last edited by Apple on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
I spy!

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:20 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Name: Aloysius "Al" Yates
Weapons: Standard Ranger gear, grappling hook.
Appearance: Kind of like Steve McQueen
Personality: He's a cool character. He doesn't say much. He absorbs information without interruption, he's the sort of guy that wouldn't break a sweat if someone had his sword pointed at him.
Other: If anyone has a panicky apprentice character, Aloysius would give you a good contrast.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

126 Reviews

Supporter

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:48 pm
Day says...

Ok, I think we have enough characters and the only other person that should be able to join is IsebellaLynnette because she wanted to be in here so bad. Does that seem good to you Ranger?

Also make a DT unless you already did so we can discuss who will be whos apprentice and such.

Rangers: 5
Ranger's Apprentices: 3
Warrior Apprentices: 1

482 Reviews

Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:19 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

DT is here! I'll be writing up the intro post soon to get this started!

~Rick Castle

If I had control over the quote generator, I feel like I would put half of YWS in it.
— Kaia