z

Young Writers Society

One Riot, One Ranger

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

*Well, I'm completely lost, but that's my own fault I suppose. Anyways, this is just a quick post to try and revive the thread.*

Tail

The trip across the Narrow Sea was fairly calm, for which I was glad. I had never been on the water before for that distance, and already some of the other Rangers were looking a little green. The horses behaved fairly well, though, contentedly chewing their hay in the hold of the ship.

We sailed into port the next day at La Rivage, a little seaside town on the coast of Gallica.

"Remember," Sorin said gruffly as we started to leave the ship, "keep your eyes and ears open. We're in hostile territory here and we don't need more trouble than is necessary."

"Apprentices, stick close with your masters," Al said, Hespher by his side.

I accordingly sidled closer to Hutch, excitement building. Everything here was so foreign!

"Where to first?" Taggart asked.

"Let's blend in with the locals. See what we can find out about this Muertre person. Rendezvous in two hours' time at that inn over there." Sorin pointed at a ramshackle building with a sign of a crowing rooster.

"Split up!" Hutch called, and I followed him as he disappeared through the crowd.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 pm
IsebellaLynnette says...

Lillian

She actually had a good head for seasickness, but it took a good half-an-hour before the nausea stopped from getting back on land. And she wasn't sure that Ruisseau was helping, because she also seemed a bit disoriented after disembarking from the boat.

Lillian led her horse down a dark, deserted alley and proceeded to disguise herself somewhat. She took off the Ranger's cloak and replaced it with a plain green cloak, put the double-scabbard in her leather bag and took out a single scabbard for her saxe knife. The throwing knife she sheathed in a hidden scabbard under her left arm. The legendary Will Treaty had once experimented with a collar sheath with near fatal results; she was glad she didn't have to go through that.

The powerful longbow she retained, and, as she ordered Ruisseau to stay there and left the alley, she found that the villagers gave her some space, though they allowed her to blend in somewhat.

Stupid memories. They were all coming back now, now that she'd finally come back to her homeland. Darn them.

Lost in her thoughts, she almost didn't notice how the villagers had completely drawn back to the edges of the road or that there was a rider on horseback heading straight for her. But she did just in time and jumped out of the way, and caught a glimpse of the face as the rider passed. She paled and, almost of its own will, her hand struck the rump of the horse. Then she abruptly turned away and rushed back to the alley, shocked and pained by the overflow of memories that flooded her now.

How had he gotten here and known that I was coming?

Suddenly she felt another presence behind her and whirled around.
"There's a big difference between shooting a target and shooting a charging Wargal. A target isn't usually trying to kill you."
~Halt, Ranger's Apprentice Book Two: The Burning Bridge

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39 am
neko says...

I see this has been unused for a while. If anyone's interested we should restart it?
Listen up!
The future is bulletproof!
The aftermath is secondary!
It's time to do it now and do it loud!
Killjoys, make some noise!

Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?
— George Wallace