z

Young Writers Society

Writer's Block

Reviews: 0
Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:31 pm
rachelrooch says...

This is what I have so far.--------
Ch. 1
If only finding who you were looking for was easy.
"Talia your mother wishes to see you in the living room," our sweet maid, Natalie interrupted my piano practice for the day. My mother insisted that any young well off lady should know how to play but somehow my sister Laiyla had managed to bow out of the dreadful activity.
"Yes ma'am?" I replied as I walked in.
"Mr. Peters would like a word." Mr. Peters was my father’s assistant for 20 years now, but no one has seen or heard from my father or his crew since his ship left 18 months ago.
"Yes ma'am. Ummm where is he?" I asked uncertainly.
"In the study, looking over a few things. Natalie will you please let Mr. Peters know we are ready?" With that Natalie hurried off. I looked around our elegant parlor with its chaise lounge, elegant portraits of dead family members, a cozy fireplace, a mahogany coffee table with mother's fine china tea set, and several seats around noting the absence of my sister.
"Where's Laiyla?" I implored.
"This doesn't concern her."
I was beginning to wonder what all of this was about when Mr. Peters, a stout, balding man of his late 40's entered the room, followed by frail Natalie who seemed worried
"Ms. Talia," he acknowledged me with a nod, "may we go to the office to discuss this," my mother stood as if to follow and he added, "alone." I looked back at my mother and with a nod from her I followed him. We walked past Natalie who looked solemn and up the grand stairs, and followed the hallway to my father's study full of books and a mahogany desk with chairs on either side with a window overlooking the backyard. I sat in the chair facing the window while he took a seat in my father's.
"Many a time I have sat where you have but this I'll admit is a first to sit here." I winced at the reminder that my father was no longer here.
"I'm sorry." He apologized.
"I know this is abrupt but you know that your father is missing because no one has heard from him since he left, and the man he was supposed to meet once he got to India has not seen him or heard of his ship docking anywhere." My eyes filled with tears at his words.
"So you're saying he is dead?" I stuttered.
"No one knows for sure, but I will find out because your father was a good man and has helped me through many tough times and I will repay his kindness. I promised him before he left that I would take care of his family and I intend to do that." His firm voice reassured me for I had known this man my whole life.
"I promise you Talia that I will find him even if he is....." He didn't have to finish his sentence for me to know where he was talking about.
"I have something to tell you, but it must wait until I see your father's lawyer. I will come back tomorrow and tell you everything because your mother is too fragile for this and I know that you are a strong willed, independent young lady who I can trust to help me find him. You will help me, won’t you?"
"Of course! I love my father and I would go to the otherworld and back for him!"
"You just may have too" he muttered, and I ignored his comment and saw him out the door just as the sun was falling below the horizon.
The last few hours of the night passed uneventfully before I drudged off to bed per my mother’s request. I was so excited and nervous to find out what Mr. Peters had found that I could have stayed up the whole night. I crawled into bed and sooner than I thought, had fallen into a deep slumber. Soon I was pulled from my body and time shifted back a few hours and I saw Mr. Peters leaving my house. It looked as if he were heading into town but as soon as the sun was nowhere to be seen I saw the shadows start to move and morph into demonic shapes. Mr. Peters looked back as if he felt their presence. Noticing nothing he turned and started to walk faster. The creatures stealthily crept forward and attacked him. I couldn't move as they ripped his body open and started to consume him, some went after his blood with fangs elongating from their pale mouth. Others started after his flesh gnawing it down to the bone where they proceeded to toss it to the wolfish grotesque men. I could see Mr. Peters' face contorting in pain and it looked as if he were screaming but no noise came out, this continued for a few minutes before I saw the life drain from his eyes and he fell limp.
I was torn from the scene and down into the ground where I proceeded to look over a dark, crowded valley. The valley was full of different colored lights. Some were pale and others vibrant, the colors were big and small from the blackest black to the lightest pink. I could barely make out the form the lights had taken last. Up ahead past the sea of lights was an ominous gate barricaded by demonic hooded figures with horrible screechy voices, directing the lights through into different sections. Off to one side a pale pink light was backhanded by one of them for not moving quick enough. A strong red light pushed its way to the front and declared, "she did nothing to you so don't you even lay a hand on her! Next time I see you abuse your power I will tell him." I recognized the voice instantly as Mr. Peters. With that my body was jolted to his side as lights exclaimed, "Is that a human?"
"What is she doing here?"
"She's so pretty!"
"How did she get here, she doesn't look dead."
For real how did I get here?
Mr. Peters noted my presence and grabbed my hand, well tried but his went through mine, so he gave up and leaned over as we were shoved through the gates, "Follow me."
I did as my mother raised me to do and I followed Mr. Peters through one busy cobblestone street after another. Our path twisted and turned while passing varying lights. Some stopped and stared while others continued on with their conversations or on to wherever they were headed. The lights were a stark contrast to my grayish surroundings of old buildings of stone and wood with a deep almost blue black sky with few to none stars. The only light came from the streetlamps that dimly flickered. I couldn’t tell if it were day or night in this realm due to the numerous amounts of lights around. This place was almost magical though I couldn’t tell you why. Mr. Peters led me into a gray stone house and the instant we walked in the room it light up with color. What was once gray became a wooden hallway lit with portraits on his ancestors. He led me to end of the hall and into the siting room. The room was full of pillows in shades of purple and red with a love seat by the glass coffee table in the center. The room reminded me of the gypsies that used to pass through the woods behind our house in the winter. He sat on a floor pillow and beckoned me in. Due to my skirts (now I was dressed in what I wore earlier today?) I sat upon the love seat.

Once I was seated he flicked his hand so that two glasses appeared. He picked up the one I could only assume was red wine due to its color and took a sip. He motioned to the clear glass. I hesitantly picked it up and took a sip and relaxed once I noted it was water. I looked around the room once more and asked, “Why am I here?”

He took a deep breath and simply replied, “Because he summoned you.”

“Who’s he?”

“How can I describe him?” he asked himself then took a deep a breath and said, “He’s like the leader or king of the Otherworld.” So I was in the Otherworld. Shit. I know it’s not proper for a lady to curse but with everything that has happened tonight I honestly don’t care.

Hesitantly I asked, “So I am in the Otherworld? Am I dead?”

“Far from it dear, you’re not dead. You’ve been summoned by him meaning you’ve left your body and your soul has come to him. What he wants I have no idea.”

“But you are dead.”

“Unfortunately I am Talia. I know you saw how it happened because he wanted you too. Now I only have a few minutes to explain the Otherworld before he gets really mad. Uh where to start? Ok so a soul consists of a light and there are many different planes you can go to once you die, but he decides where it is you go after he looks at your light because not all planes are created equal. Some are terrible and I will save you from that description. Other planes are full of exactly what you want in life, it has a lot of the good things and there is typically where you find your soul mate. Others are lucky and find them on Earth or in the bad plane, but one thing he cannot do no matter how bad anyone was is separate you from your soul mate once you find them. Maybe it’s the universe’s way of giving you a chance to be the best that you can for your soul mate is like your other half. You would do anything for them. Shit we’ve got to go. If I don’t get you to him he’ll reincarnate me somewhere bad and remove my title.”

“What title?”

“I’m his second in command, and the only reason he sent me to Earth was to find you.”

“Why me?” I asked as he pulled me out of his house and up the hill towards a medieval castle.

“I’m not allowed to say,” He panted as we reached the castle entrance. The doors automatically opened and in we stepped. The castle felt lonely even though it was clad in rich tapestries and marble and gold. I felt him before I saw him. I felt the power radiating from him and the loneliness he exuded. I looked behind me to note that Mr. Peters had disappeared, leaving me with this man.

Ch. 2
Hesitantly I took a step towards the man. He was seated in a rather large throne thank seemed to be made of onyx and looked rather uncomfortable. He smiled at me and waved me closer. My heels clicked upon the gray stone floor as my skirts swished elegantly across it. Once I was a few feet away from him he got up and closed the distance on me. His velvety voice reached out to me in a greeting as he held out his hand, “I’m Damon.”
I wondered as I took his hand was that something everyone was allowed to call him or just I for this man exuded royalty and power, “Talia.”
He inhaled deeply and murmured, “Such a beautiful name.” Then he proceeded to chuckle at me once he noticed the blush that cascaded across my cheeks. He led me through several corridors, all the while holding my hand, and into a gorgeous room full of color with a warm fireplace and several seating options. He led me to the two chairs by the lit fireplace. He seemed to be deep in thought and for some reason I was itching to know what he was thinking.
“Damon?” I asked to which he immediately looked at me with his dark eyes that perfectly complemented his pale skin and dark hair. His body, I noticed was chiseled to perfection and his toned muscles stood out against the dark purple shirt he wore paired with black dress pants.
“Yes Hun?”
“I’m sorry I shouldn’t ask.”
“Talia you do not ever need to apologize to me nor ever be afraid to ask or say anything.” He replied with obvious concern.
“It’s just you were so deep in thought I don’t know why but I just wanted to know what you were thinking about but it’s none of my business.” I said while looking at my hands which were neatly folded in my lap.
He quickly got out of his chair and crossed to me and gently took my chin in his hand and tilted it upward so that I was looking into his eyes. I felt lost looking into his eyes but not scared, no never scared, just lost. For some reason I wanted to kiss him, this is not how I should ever feel towards a man whom I just met. Why am I feeling this way? It seemed as if he could read my thoughts for his hands cupped my face and he leaned in and brushed his soft lips against mine. I know it sounds so cliché but I felt something ignite within my body and I wondered if I had spent too much time reading romance novels. He pulled back and asked, “Did you feel that?” I was at a loss for words so I simply nodded. He looked relieved and pressed his lips to my forehead to which I placed my hands around his wrists to keep him there. I don’t know why but it just felt right and I didn’t want to leave him. He murmured, “I knew it was you.”
I felt my brow furrow in confusion. He pulled away and sat back down in his chair and I whimpered at the loss of his presence next to me. What is this man doing to me? He looked at me thoughtfully and then said, “I guess I should explain.” He took a deep breath and then launched into his story.
“The Otherworld didn’t always exist. It was created about 10,000 years ago, and before that souls were not reincarnated instead they went into the sky as a star. A permanent reminder to the world that they once stood on the Earth and walked it just as we do now. Believe it or not but society has not advanced on Earth since it was created. Humans have been living the way you do for 10,000 years now. It was part of the curse.”
I was very confused now, “What curse?”
“The curse that was placed on me when I was 17, I was engaged to this woman. No, I didn’t love her but my family as well as hers was very powerful and this would create an alliance between our two countries. Our marriage had been planned since before we were even born. She had just turned 16 at the time which was the legal age for marriage in our countries and I remember standing at the altar with the priest waiting for her, when the doors flew open and a purple mist floated in and right in front of me this strange woman appeared in front of me. She whispered some things in some unknown language and said the wedding was cancelled. My father stepped up and told her to leave for that was a lie. She refused and even went as far as to immobilize everyone, I remember being so consumed with fear for this woman had powers unknown to me. She then spoke to me and said that this was an immoral act between the two kingdoms for we were ruining the chance of love for our soul mates by marrying each other. She then cursed me to rule the Otherworld in darkness until I found my soulmate. After she said that everyone in the room dropped dead and turned into these glowing lights and she sunk the entire castle below the ground and created this entire place you see. She called it the Otherworld. She told me that I was destined to punish the bad souls by placing them into bad realms for eternity and to let the good souls return to Earth or if they were good enough then to send them up to become a star. She then told me that this was her way of setting things right and that I had to suffer for wrong doings of my family and ancestors who according to her did not deserve to rule. She said that I would rule in darkness and despair until I found my soulmate, but I would not find her as a light I would only sense her once she was born onto the Earth. Then she added another clause to this curse she said that I would have to wait until she was 16 to claim her.”
I couldn’t help it, just seeing the distress on his face I knew it was hard for him to tell me that, so I got up from my chair and walked over to him and knelt down so that we were eye level. I didn’t ever care if I was getting my dress dirty, I took his hands in mine and he looked at me. “I’m sorry.” I know it wasn’t much but nothing else could convey what I was feeling. He looked at me squeezed my hands and simply said, “Don’t be for if it never had happened I wouldn’t have found you.”
He must have seen the confused look on my face for he said, “Talia, you are my soulmate.” I gasped, and quickly stumbled back from him, hurt flashed across his face.
“I… I… I can’t be. I’m engaged.” I stumbled out. He got out of his chair and crawled towards where I was sitting on the floor.
He brushed his hand against my cheek, “Do you feel the connection we have? Every time I pull away I want to go back to touching you. I don’t want to sit across the room from you. I want to hold you and when we kissed I couldn’t even remember my own name.”
My breathing hitched and I looked into his eyes,” I feel all of that, but my family needs me to go through with this. My… my… father has been missing for 18 months and we have no money anymore. This marriage would secure my family’s safety and secure us financially.”
He crawled on top me so that I was laying on the ground but he was careful to hold up his weight as not to crush me. I rested my hands on his chest as he leaned in and whispered into my ear, “Talia I can provide for you and your family better than he can please allow me to do that.” He then pressed his lips against my neck and I nodded, yes. I don’t know what has come over me. This is not what I should be doing but yet it feels right. Maybe he is right. I wish I knew.
“How can you take care of my family?” I breathed out.
“Financially, of course, also by being with you, and helping you find your father.” He calmly stated.
“You would help me find him?” I asked in disbelief, completely ignoring the part about us being together, for who would do such a thing? Until now no one would accept that he was gone. I pushed him off of me and quickly stood up.
“Of course I would! Why wouldn’t I?” He replied incredulously.
“Because until now no one would accept that he was missing!”
“I believe you Talia.”
“Why? I am nothing but a stranger. Why would you believe anything I say?”
“Because your heart is pure as is your soul and you are my soulmate why would I not believe you?” He simply just stated as if honest words like that rolled off his tongue daily.
I blinked a few times. This man in front of me had so much faith in me and I didn’t even know him. Why? I know that he said I was his soulmate, but why? Then before I could answer my body was being sucked away from him. I screamed for him, but all he said was, “Talia, your time is up for tonight, but do not worry my love, I will bring you back” then I was in my room?
A knock resounded at the door and Natalie walked in, “I’m sorry to disturb you, but it is time to get up.”
I was so tired it was all I could do to get out of bed. Was last night just a strange dream? Or was it my reality? Do I really have a mate or am I just longing for someone who I can rely on? Someone who I can love and who will love me. I just want to belong because I don’t belong in my own family. Not since my father went missing. Speaking of which if my dream was real will Damon really help me find him? I pondered as Natalie helped me dress. She then left me to finish breakfast as I finished my hair. All of a sudden I felt someone begin to braid my hair for me. I tried to turn around but they held me still, and whispered in my ear, “Shhh it’s just me darling.”
“Damon what are you doing here? Is this real? Am I just imagining this?”
“No last night was completely true and I am really here beside you” he said and then proceeded to wrap his arms around my waist.
He set his head on my shoulder and simply stated, “You look gorgeous.”
I couldn’t help it and I blushed. My stomach felt like it butterflies were attacking it in hordes, not that I minded. I had never felt this way before but it was nice. I never wanted him to let me go. I felt safe. “What are you thinking about love?” he interrupted.
Blushing I answered, “You, and how you make me feel safe.”
“That’s what mates are supposed to do forever and always.” He stood up and took my hand to guide me up from my vanity chair even though I was perfectly capable of it. I couldn’t help but smile at this and lean into him. His hands found my waist again and he pulled me in so that my head was against his chest. Slowly I looked up to him and asked, “Did you mean what you said about helping me find my father?”
“Of course I did.”
“Have you found anything out yet?”
“Well his light has not passed through the Otherworld according to my records in forty years.”
“Then where is he?”
“I wish I knew. I have all of my people keeping their ears and eyes open.”
“So he may just be lost or captured?”
“Yes love.” I settled my head against his chest again as he began to hum a soft tune as we swayed back and forth. I looked up to him in puzzlement.
“What is it?” he questioned.
“Well I want to know more about you. Do you have any siblings? What were your parent like?”
He interrupted me, “One question at a time. First off I had a brother named, Michael, and a sister named, Erika. They were twins and both 15. Completely inseparable until my mother put Erika in needlework lessons. Other than that they did everything together. I was kind of jealous that I didn’t have someone like that. All the other boys my age in the castle and of my parents’ friends we either older than me or younger than me and very snobbish. They acted as if they deserved what they had. Granted I never realized that until a hundred years later.”
“Secondly my parents came from a long line of royals. My mother was from Bulgaria and my father, England. I don’t think they loved each other, their marriage was strictly for strengthening their countries. It was false like my marriage was supposed to be,” he answered solemnly. I touched his cheek with my hand and he looked at me. I could see the confusion as if he wanted to know why people would do that to their children and why if his parents’ were forced into it why would they do that to him?
“Have you seen them? Maybe you could ask them when their light passes through,” I suggested.
“She sent their lights to the realm of eternal damnation and not even I can get them out. They can only leave once they learn their lesson. I don’t even know what their lesson is. That wasn’t disclosed nor will it ever be. I just want to ask them so many questions, but I can’t.”
“What would you ask them?”
“Well first I would start out by asking them why they were going to marry me to someone I didn’t love. And secondly I would introduce them to my mate and ask them their opinion of you.”

Ch. 3
For hours we talked, about his parents and his family and his life and my life and my family and what I wished for, even my favorite color. Anything that came to mind we talked about. It was strange getting to know someone in his way but it was nice. You see I didn’t really have friends growing up, except for my sister. I was always too busy being a dutiful daughter and when the other kids would be going to school, I was always working with my countless tutors. It was strange not having other kids to play with or to talk to, but I am used to it because I grew up that way, so being around him is a new experience for me. One that I kind of liked, until he talked about my father.
“Talia?”
“Hmm?”
“What’s your father like?”
“He’s a great man. He cares for us deeply, he’s a strong man who, this sounds silly, but he always made sure that no matter how insane his day was, he would always do something with us, even if it was take a walk with us before the sun set,” I reminisced as tears dotted my eyes, “I miss him.”
“I know you do, and he sounds amazing. I cannot wait for us to meet and to get his approval.”
“If we ever find him” I mumbled.
“Babygirl,” my heart melted just a tad when he called me that, “We will find your father no matter what we must do. He is important to you so I will do whatever it takes” Damon simply said, as if it was the simplest thing in the entire world.
Damon leaned in and took my face in his hands. Without thinking I leaned in and kissed him. Immediately I blushed and said, “Oh my, um, I am so sorry. I need to go. Please send me back.”
“Talia, its ok. Mates do that.”
“But Damon I have a fiancé, I should not be going around kissing other men, it’s improper and scandalous.”
“My love, you are no longer engaged to anyone because you are mine. I am your mate and the second that happened your engagement was void” he said sternly.
“My family is depending on this for so many reasons, I cannot abandon them during this time” I insisted.
“Talia, stop being so stubborn, I told you that I will take care of you and your family. End of story.”
“Did you just tell me what was best for me?” I questioned.
“Is that not what men do in your society?” He spat.
“Just because that’s what most men do, it was not how I was raised. I was raised to speak my mind and have an equal partnership with my husband. I was raised to be myself and not to conform to what other people wish of me. That is how my mother and father raised me. To respect myself. I shall not allow you to go around doing this to me especially if you are to be my mate!” I stood my ground while the whole time I was questioning myself and whether or not I should even stand up to this man. My mate. What would I do if I could not find my father, and I cannot believe that we are arguing. Oh my. This is our first fight!
He must have noticed my worries for he stopped talking completely, which I was not listening to in the first place, for I was so caught up in myself. “Talia, dear, look at me. I apologize for treating you that way. I never should have told you what to do when it concerns your duties. I understand that you feel that this is what you must do for your family, but I promise that I am here and that I will not leave you, but just the thought of you being claimed by another pisses me off to no end. I have had to sit back and wait for you for 16 years. I am not about to just let you walk out of my life.”
I was completely stunned. Never had I heard such a passionate speech about anything let alone me. He wiped the tears from my cheek which I had not noticed. “Talia please let me care for you and your family. I want to be with you no matter the cost.” It was all I could do to nod my head in agreement. He sighed, as if he was relieved and pulled me into his arms before kissing my forehead.

77 Reviews

Reviews: 77
Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:50 pm
Craz says...

This should be submitted as a Literary Work, and not under the Storybooks tab. To submit your work, simply go to the top where it says "Publishing Center" and read the instructions / contents listed, which should tell you about the publishing process on YWS. To remove this post, since it was misplaced, you'll have to contact a moderator, or anyone in a color besides Blue.

I hope you enjoy yourself on YWS ;)
"we'll fasten it with some safety pins and tape and a dream, and you're good to go, honey."

And you have to flaunt the weird, my friends.
— Alex Fierro