z

Young Writers Society

Welcome to Camp Half-Blood (Started/ Still Accepting)

933 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 933
Wed May 08, 2013 5:15 am
Iggy says...

Harlow Van Halen - daughter of Athena
Monday evening.

Humming softly to herself, Harlow slowly ran the hairdryer from side to side, just about done when there was a knock to the door. Over the loud roar of the blowdryer, she heard a familiar voice call out. "Knock knock."

"Rand, is that you?" Harlow questioned as she clicked off the electronical device and placed it on her desk. As the door opened and in walked Rand, she brushed out her long blonde curls, then turned to flash him a bright smile.

"Who else darlin'?" Rand let out a low chuckle as he pulled Harlow in for a big bear hug. His strong arms wrapped tightly around her body and Harlow smiled softly into his shoulder, her slender hands rising to squeeze around him. "How was your summer, Harlow?"

"It was nice, but I missed you." Harlow admitted, then modestly lowered her sea green eyes as her cheeks turned a faint pink. Hurrying along, she asked, "How about you, how was your summer?"

Rand was slowly twirling a hot curl around one of his calloused fingers, his piercing blue eyes focused on her silky hair. Harlow felt a shiver run down her spine and stiffened, biting her lower lip and fighting the urge to yank away from him.

"Completely boring. Tust me, there is nothing fun about being a year long camper." He laughed and stopped playing with her hair, his tone growing somber as he moved his gaze up to meet her own. "Crap I almost forgot why I even came here. Some girl is threatening the camps and I was swinging by to tell you and some of the other cabin leaders. As far as I know her name is Gemini. I believe she's a daughter of Zeus."

"What? You're serious? That is.. wow, you're sure? Maybe you heard wrong.." The news made Harlow sad and she wanted to pretend it wasn't real. It had only been one year - one year! - since the Titan war. The camp had endured enough problems over the years, she felt that they didn't need some foolish newcomer to cause any more drama, especially a child of the Big Three.

Shaking her head, Harlow decided to drop the subject for now and slid her flip flops on, then grabbed Rand's hand and led him out of the cabin and up to that party everyone was talking about. She wasn't much of a partier, but she would be there to try and help everyone feel comfortable and get associated with each other.

*~*~*~*~*~*~

As they arrived at the party, they were seperated by the mass of dancing and socializing demigods. Some girls came over to speak with Rand, and Harlow fought the urge to roll her eyes, feeling a bit shock at her sudden surge of annoyance. Trying to shake it off, she turned and weaved her way to the crowd, bumping into a scared newcomer who had yet to be claimed. Aiden, was it?

"Well? You're new, right? Want to go first?" Harlow questioned, referring to the plans some of the older campers were making, about sending newcomers off for their first swim.

The guy looked scared and seemed conflicted, nodding his head first, then shaking it crazily. "Yes, no, I.."

"So, who's are you?" Harlow changed the subject, curious to know if he had been claimed yet.

He shrugged helplessly. "People keep asking. I don't know.

She nodded. "You seem pretty out of it, kid." As Harlow tried to convince him to go up to bed and ditch the party, her eyes caught a boy who was.. flying? A son of Apollo, perhaps?

Just like Rand. Those sea green eyes scanned the crowd with no such luck, hoping to find the man, before letting out a soft sigh and bidding Aiden farewell. As he left to do whatever, she searched for a log to plop down on by the bonfire and rest her bones, trying to think of nothing at all, but the flames reminded her of her mother and how she needed to talk to her mother tonight. Hopefully Athena would reply back, she needed a mother's advice.
“I can't go back to yesterday because I was a different person then."
- Lewis Carroll

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed May 08, 2013 3:53 pm
Dragonette says...

Daemon : Dionysus : Monday night

I arrived at the party just as Ben took the jump. He submerged from the water with the dorkiest smile on his face and I shook my head but smiled despite myself. Climbing back up to the cave, he wrapped a towel around him and sat on a log near the fire. I walked over to join him. "Hey what's your name- Oh, it's you. Hey Daemon, what's up?"

I sipped my Monster, "Nice dive, man."

"Haha, thanks! It was great! You should go next!"

"Yeah, I don't think so." I finished my Monster and threw it in the fire. As I watching the tin-foil curl up and shrink, it made me think about my power. So apparently I can effect people's sanity, up to the point where their brain snaps and they die. It's kinda like poison, killing someone from the inside. Another reason Dionysus is a good for nothing murderer. I wonder what would happen if I used the power on him. Probably nothing, I thought dissapointed. While I was thinking about it, I decided to experiment on someone, not the death part, of course, but it'd be fun to get a couple people hyper at this party. I reached over and touched the elbow of a girl who was standing behind me. Instantly she got the giggles and her voice got louder and more excited. What this party needed was for everyone to get touched and get a little cray. "What this party needs is some music," I mumbled out loud.

"Good thinking, man," Ben said. I had been so in my own little world that I had almost forgotten that he was there. Ben grabbed a guitar and started strumming out a lively campfire song, soon everyone was joining in.

"Not, exaclty what I had in mind..." I said as I got up and stumbled over to the pack of Monsters that I had brought and left at the corner of the cave. Standing next to them was a shadowy girl with long dark hair and sad eyes, most likely a child of Hades. She seemed to be the only one not singing and I admit she was drop dead beautiful, yes the pun was intended. But despite that, I glared at her suspiciously, I didn't like her so close to my Monsters and I hoped she hadn't taken one.

Popping open a can, I walked over to the edge of the cliff and peared over into the water, debating on whether or not to do the newbie dare. Technically I wasn't too new, I mean, I'd been here for a couple months already.

I put my mouth to the can and tilted my head back in a big swig. Just then, I swayed in my "drunkerdness" and lost my footing. I quickly reached out to the closest thing to stop my fall, which happened to be the Hades girl. With a scream from her, we both tumbled over the cliff. I flailed around, my heart in my throat. I knew that at this distance, if I landed the wrong way on the water, I could seriously hurt myself.

As I fell through the air, my life flashed before me. Growing up without a father, abusive step dads, the full weight of having to protect and provide for my mom and little brothers and sisters, and in the end not being able to save them from death. In that moment, I grabbed the girl and held her so that I would hit the water first, sheilding her from the impact.

I felt my back slam hard into the water and I let the girl go as I was forced farther beneath the darkness. After a few seconds of struggling kicks, I found myself above the water at last. Inhaling deeply, I looked up to see most of the campers looking down at us with eager expressions. I did a victorious fist pump and they all went into cheering.

Looking around, I made out the wet head of the girl bobbing to my left in the dark water. "Hey, sorry 'bout that, sweetheart," I said. She ignored me and quickly swam to the shore. I shrugged and followed.

Ben was waiting for us and he helped the girl out of the water and gave her his towel. "What? No help for me?" I said, climbing out by myself and shaking my wet curls like a dog. "Whatever. I need a Monster."

Spoiler! :
This was origonally going to be a short post... I got a bit carried away! Sorry it's so long!!
Last edited by Dragonette on Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Wed May 08, 2013 4:46 pm
View Likes
Dragonette says...

Spoiler! :
Iggy, I was thinking that Harlow and Abrin could be good friends (but like a brother/sister friendship. Abrin isn't trying to take her from Rand ;) ) Also, I hope it's ok, but I had her know sign-language. She's Athena's child so it seemed like she'd pick up on it pretty fast.

Abrin : Demeter : Monday night

I pulled my marshmellow out of the fire and blew on it. The party was going great. Everywhere I looked, people's mouths were moving. For a minisecond, I wondered what it would be like to be hearing, to hear all of the people talking at once, it must be loud and confusing. Everything was silent for me. And I liked it that way. I could block out everything if I wanted to, or I could "hear" any convorsation I wanted, no matter how far away it was, as long as I could see there mouths. It was handy and peaceful.

Mushing my marshmellow between two crackers and some chocolate, I looked around at all the faces; some familure some foreign. Suddenly my gaze fell on a familure head of blond curls and I smiled. It was Harlow! Harlow was one of my best friends at camp and I hadn't seen her since last summer.

She seemed lost in thought but when I rushed over to her, her eyes brightened and she stood to recieve my hug.

Hey, I missed you! I signed sitting down.

Same. What have you been up to? She signed and sat on the log beside me. Harlow was great, being the daughter of Athena, she picked up on sign-language really fast and was the first person to befriend me at camp. And it was only through her patience that I learned how to read and write my first language, greek.

Nothing new. Just another year at camp. How's the outside world?

She told me about living with her dad, and finishing school, and we talked for a while, catching up on the months we had missed.

After a while, one of the Apollo kids pulled out his guitar everyone started singing. The only thing that was the worst about being deaf was missing out on the music. My mind craved to catch at least a glimps of the meaning of a melody.

Harlow was smiling and singing along but when she turned to me she stopped suddenly. Oh. Sorry. I forgot, she signed.

No, no. It's ok. Keep singing, please. I don't mind. And it helps me "hear" the music by watching you all, I told her. She nodded and continued singing.

A few seconds later Rand brought out his guitar and joined in, Harlow couldn't keep her shining eyes off of him. I don't know if it was obvious to everyone or if it was just because I was deaf and good at reading people, but it was clear that those two had an unanounced thing for eachother. I hoped they would finally get together before the end of the summer, they had been pretty close last year.

Just then, there was a commotion at the entrance of the cave and I looked over to see two people falling off. Everyone stopped singing and rushed over to see what happened. The kids seemed to be fine and the boy even did a fist pump. I rolled my eyes. That's twice tonight someone has fallen off, I signed to Harlow. Were we all this clumsy as a newbie? Because I'm pretty sure I wasn't.

Weren't you the boy who did the bellyflop? She teased.

I pushed her playfully, shut up.

A lightning bolt flashed in the distance and Harlow suddenly turned serious. Abrin, that reminds me, I don't like to spread rumors, but Rand warned me about a child of Zeus who might cause trouble in the ca-

Suddenly the scene turned blood red, literally. Harlow grabbed my arm in horror as the bright white moon above us changed into a violent scarlet color.

Spoiler! :
Hope this is ok, LH. If it doesn't work for you, just let me know and I'll take the last paragraph out ;)
I'm a JESUS FREAK! (but you can call me a 'Jeek' if you want :D

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

You aren't an official writer unless you're at least slightly mad.

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Wed May 08, 2013 5:35 pm
Dutiful says...

Laila- Daughter if Hermes. Monday night

The sun had gone down by the time I reached Camp Half Blood. It looked like an ordinary camp. But only, it wasn't. As I stood there, reality seemed to crash into me.
I am the daughter of Hermes. I am a half-blood, a demigod
It was all real.
I took a deep breath and turned to my friend, no satyr who had brought me here. He smiled at me and said, "You're going to love it here. You can meet all your half brothers and sisters. You'll have fun, I promise."

I smiled and nodded, although feeling a little queasy inside. Half brothers and sisters.

People like me. suddenly i didn't want to go ahead. I am generally a shy person. I'm awful at making friends. Its why I never seemed to have too many at all the schools I'd attended.

My satyr friend walked me inside the camp. Whoa, it was not like any other camp. The camp seemed to have a life of its own.

The place was huge. We walked past the basketball court where a group of boys were shooting some hoops. They all looked.. normal. But they weren't. They were like me.

In front of me, my satyr friend came to a halt. I looked up and saw.. A centaur. No, Chiron.

Just like my dad had told me. Two days before my satyr friend came to me, my dad had come to me in my dream and explained my whole history to me, also explained about Camp Half Blood and Chiron.
I smiled at Chiron and he smiled back at me.
"Who do we have here? A daughter of Hermes? Ah, Laila. You're father had told me about your arrival."
I nodded at him.
"Well it seems you were the last to arrive here. Everyone's already down at the beach. Do you want to see your cabin before heading down there as well?"
Uh-oh. I was the last one to arrive. Which meant, awkward situation when I went down there. Oh well, I guess i just gotta melt into the shadows as usual.
"Sure, I'd love to see my cabin."
"Wonderful. i'll take you there myself."

We walked quietly, his hoofs making clip-clop noises on the ground. I found myself falling to the beat when he stopped. We'd reached my cabin. It read 'Hermes'.

This was where I was going to stay for the rest of my life, or as I'd like to think.

I was going to go in when Chiron called me.
"You know, we don't encourage collecting 'souvenirs' here at Camp Half Blood."
I gaped, with my mouth open. How did he know? Being a child of Hermes, it was my instinct to steal. When anyone asks me how I'd gotten the stolen goods, I'd just say, "Oh these. These are just souvenirs I collect."

Chiron is full of mystery.

I went into my cabin and found an empty bed. I threw my luggage on it and flopped down. The cabin was definitely hi-tech. Most probably stolen. I felt a sense of pride at the amount of stolen goods. My half brothers and sisters sure had an eye for nice stuff.

Just like me.

I gave one more look at the cabin and then turned to walk to the beach. Only, I had no idea where the beach was.

Great, how was i supposed to go there?
Then I saw a girl, a little older than me walking by. I took a deep breath and ran towards her.

"Hey! I was wondering if you could take me to the beach. I just got here. I have no idea which way to go."

She smiled and said, "Sure. I was heading there myself. Welcome to Camp Half Blood. I'm Rachel, the oracle."

I stared at her. My dad had mentioned about a human oracle, but I hadn't taken it seriously. She laughed at my wide eyed look.
"I know, its a shock. You'll get used to it."
I laughed and said,"Sorry. i'm Laila, daughter of Hermes."
"Wow, a daughter of Hermes. I better keep my wallet in a safe place," she said smiling.

"Oh come on, I am so past the age of pick-pocketing. Besides, I never steal from my friends," I said grinning.

She laughed. "Oh look, we're here."

I stopped. Man, the entire beach was packed. It will be much easier for me to slip into the shadows.
"Come on, lets go meet the others,"Rachel said, dragging me towards the crowd.
Oh god, I was nervous, but didn't object.

Here we go. My new future.
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 pm
KingLucifer says...

Gemini - Zeus - Monday Night

I was never a fan of party's, but if I ever had to I would go to them, normally to make a few associates or other reasons, like to get a feel for the number of people that stayed at the camp. Right now, it was looking like it was close to 170, maybe 200 people. Of course it helps when some of them are suicidal and jump off the cliff and smash straight into the ground, completely missing the water. But even then, the numbers were simply not in my favor, I was good in combat, but even I had my limits of how many enemies I could take in a fight. People were getting out of control, insane even, at the rate this was going, it won't be long before Mr.D was summoned to the party.

I looked up, the bright yellow full moon, began to turn violent as I knew the cause, Ana, Juggernaut of Moonlight, began to sap energy from the moon to stabilize her being. For a moment everyone watched at the Moon slowly filled and became violent, the party missing its beats. Everyone stopping to see the Moon go from it's yellow to Violent Red. Artemis must be ticked at what Ana was doing, that's when I spotted someone else in the distance, the muscles on her body, her height, I knew who she was. Alexis.

I push my way past people as I made my way to her, I haven't seen her in forever, four years since I last saw her. She was staring up at the moon, I wondered what she made of it. I was right behind her, I grab the handle of my blade and pulled it from my back, and I place the blade just above her shoulder.

"Never turn your back to the enemy, over confidence will destroy you," I said with a grin on my face.

Her whole body tensed, then her hand gripped my blade as she turned to face me, her powerful aggressive and wise eyes fell on me. She hasn't missed a beat with her training at all.

"Long time no see, Gemini, you finally returned to Camp Half Blood," she said.

There was no overjoy, happy giggling, or crazy smiles and hugs between me and Lexi, between us, there was respect for each other. The admiration and acknowledgement at each others strength, that was what was between us. Respect and Admiration for each other.

"Let's head to the Arena, time to see what the other has learned," I said.

We ran, hard and fast to the arena, a test of endurance and stamina, we ran all the way there, bathed in the violent moonlight as we ran. Then we entered the Arena barreling in without second thought, we both skid to a stop as we pulled our blades and prepared to face each other for battle. There was a silent agreement between us, no godly abilities, just pure skill. I gripped my blade with both hands, this will be a hard fight between us.

Our blades met in a powerful clash, every time we swung our blades met each other, sending sparks flying everywhere. But there was a difference in our ablities, she was faster, I was slower, I had more power, she was smarter. She begins to change up her strategy instead of meeting my blade head on, she rolls left as my blade comes down missing her hitting the ground. She thrusts her sword forward, I let go of my blade and swing around it, trading places with Alexis. I pull my blade from the ground and swing horizontally, she ducks my swing, and she swings her blade, it nicks my face leaving a shallow slash. I back up trying to regroup and concentrate, I breath deeply. I go in, raising my blade above my head. Lexi doesn't raise her blade to defend herself, instead she see's her opening and takes it. I feel her foot catch mine, and I trip and fall over on myself, my blade falls away from me. I turn on my back quickly, only to have Lexi's sword in my face, I was breathing heavily now.

"Game over," Lexi says.

I smile, and give a quick laugh, "yeah, you win, didn't miss a beat at all eh Lexi?" I said.

She removes her blade and offers her hand, I take it and get back on my feet. "Not at all, I actually had to use my head to beat you," she said.

I smile, glad to see Lexi doesn't hold a grudge for everything that happened before I left Camp Half Blood.

"Where's Abri at?" I asked.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 pm
KeiPie says...

Miria Oak ~ Hermes

I arrived at the cliff just as people are beginning to leave. I never was one for parties anyway. While I was making my way up the slippery rocks, two kids had plummeted off the cliff and into the water below. From what I saw, it seemed to be a sort of initiation ceremony. I would never be so stupid as to jump off a cliff to my death. I was brave and not afraid to risk my life, but for something that mattered. Acceptance was not something that mattered. People's lives, freedom, justice, those were things worth risking my life for. I turned around and headed back down the rocks. It was no use staying around here any longer, they were leaving already.

When I reached my cabin, I found another suitcase on a bunk. It wasn't the same bunk that other kid had been on. Great, I thought, more unclaimed visitors. What was more, the room was elegantly decorated, not the plain unfinished wood I had seen before. There were golden jugs and wall hanging, embroidered rugs and jewelry, scattered everywhere. That was very strange. It was as if it had been especially prepared for someone, obviously not me. In anger I threw a clay pot across the room while trying to reach my bunk. Finding a broom in the closet, I swept all the sickening riches out the door. Pulling down the hanging and dragging out the rugs, I sent everything out the door. Let someone else claim it. It surely wasn't mine. Just then I saw a little booklet on the intruder's bed. Opening it I found it was a diary. The first couple pages held nothing of importance, but then I reached page ten.
I'm a god! I was so shocked when I found out, but it's true. My dad is Hermes and he's sending me to a special summer camp. I'm so excited! It's amazing to have a divine father.
I didn't have to read the rest; I already felt sick to my stomach. Alas, I would not be alone this summer. I had a half-sister who I would be forced to live with. Anger bubbling deep down, I rushed to the door grabbing my bow and arrows. I ran as fast as my legs could go until I reached a little clearing. It was dark already but I aimed my arrows at various items, tree trunks, birds, leaves, flowers, anything I could see by the pale moon. Soon my arrows were gone and I sat down. I felt like crying but the tears wouldn't come. I rocked back and forth biting my lips. Why was I so upset? A favorite. That's what bothered me. My father had a favorite, and it wasn't me. But why was I surprised? I was never liked by anyone, of course my own father wouldn't like me. Maybe this other girl was the reason why my father killed my mother. Maybe two families were too much. Maybe I shouldn't have been born and then my mother and Oleph would be alive. It was all my fault. No, it wasn't. I didn't ask to be born. It was all my father's fault.
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
― Mark Twain

“You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.”
― Ray Bradbury

184 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 184
Wed May 08, 2013 10:52 pm
veeren says...

Ness Derack - Poseidon

The sound the ocean waves always calmed me down. It's not like there was much for me to be stressed out about anyway, but a bit of relaxation never hurt anyone, right? Well, that would've been true any other time, but not tonight. Tonight I couldn't relax. The waves were speaking different, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it; that is, until I took the initiative to tilt my head a bit to the side and finally look up at the lit cave full of newbies and campers alike. They were probably celebrating the first day back at camp, and after hours, I might add.

They have a party and didn't invite me, aye?

I was sure everyone knew I was a party animal. After all, I didn't think anyone else could make sure no one got wet if it started to rain, or make a giant floating pool for everyone to enjoy, or even get their date a drink from across the room at that.

I was halfway to the cave when I saw the boy falling, stopping mid-stride as he crashed into deep water below. I leapt into the ocean beside me and shot full force towards the drowning boy. I wasn't even using my arms of legs to paddle, I was completely focused on my powers pushing me forward, but fast as I was, he had already passed out by the time I got to him.

I grabbed him and dragged him ashore, using my powers to dry him as much as I could, couldn't have him catch a cold now could we? After a bit of waiting, he finally shot up and puked out about his body weight in water, twice. He looked a bit dazed, if not thankful, and I took it that he was happy to still be alive.

You're welcome.

All of a sudden, a blue light flashed over his head with a mighty trident in the middle. It was a sign from his godly parent, our godly parent. He was a son of Poseidon.

"Well, well. Looks like you're my little brother," I held my hand out for him and he took it, "I'm Ness, head of Poseidon cabin." He stared at me blankly, "Poseidon is your father, a god. He's my dad also, so we're brothers." I knew he wouldn't be able to wrap his mind around it so quickly. "Ah, never mind. You'll figure it all out eventually. Forget about this party, I'll show you to our cabin and let you settle down and get some sleep. You can figure out all your questions tomorrow, okay?"

"Okay." he whispered.

I helped him up and we began the journey back to my- our cabin. The whole way there, I couldn't decide whether I was glad that my I had a new sibling, or angry that Poseidon had cheated on my mother.

He's one of the gods, you can't control him, one side of my brain argued.
A god should know more than anyone how to control themselves among other people, the other fought.
Gods aren't people, they're gods, our moral standards mean nothing to them, is this what a split personality felt like?
Well they should at least have the decency to practice their ideas of what's right and wrong just like they expect us to, nope, just a headache.

By the time we were at the cabin doors, I was already wondering why the harpies hadn't put me out of my misery a long time ago. We stepped inside to find Riley, our sister, writing on her bed.

"You right there?" I asked, smiling at her.

"Not that you should no of." She slipped the notepad into the pocket of her hoodie and turned to me.

"As the counsellor of this cabin, I have a right to know what my fellow cabin mates are doing." I tried to make myself look big and authoritative, but she just giggled.

"I've been at Camp Half Blood for longer than you!"

"But Daddy only picked you [/i]last year[/i]." I teased.

"Come on funny guy, we've got a new cabin mate. He's a guy, our age." She said, pushing me.

Man, news moves fast around here.

"Already met him." I smirked, infact, I saved him.

"I'm right here you know?" A voice came from behind us, and for a second I thought it was our new brother. When we turned, however, we found Abrin.

I frowned, not wanting to interrupt their conversation, and turned back to our sibling.

"Sorry, but I just realized, I never got your name." I told him.

He looked at me, "It's Aiden."

"Nice to meet you Aiden," I shook his hand, "Again."

He smiled. Shy type, aye?

"Well, make yourself at home for now, take any bed you'd like. I'll show you around more tomorrow if you'd like."

He nodded at me and went off to himself. Poor kid, he forgot to get his stuff out of the Hermes cabin.

The sudden rush of adrenaline suddenly left me wide awake once more. Except this time, I wasn't tired. Perhaps it was because I had already slept most of the day, but I didn't feel like going back to be. After a short wave to the others in the cabin, I bid them farewell, promising to return later. For now, though, I wanted to be back at the beach. Who knows, maybe another kid will have a near death experience and end up being my sibling.

I had made it to about the coastline when I started to feel like something was off. The waves were acting strange. They were all flip-flop wish-wash and all over. It couldn't be from the party this time, though it seemed even more lively than before. They'd even been singing; more people taking plunges, and for fun this time. No, the party wasn't the problem. I felt as if it was a puzzle I couldn't figure out on my own, so maybe my father would be able to help.

I looked to the sky and asked, "Father, can you please help me figure out what wr-"

When did the sky grow a pimple?

After a few seconds of thinking about it, I realized I was looking at the moon, except in a dark shade of red. How pretty.

"Wait, that's not right." Silly Artemis, it's supposed to be white not red.

I giggled to myself at the strange sight, ignoring the fact that things had gotten rather quiet at the party.Maybe the harpies finally got them. Curiosity getting the better of me, I decided to step into the water. I always knew that the moon changed the ocean tides, so I wondered if it would have any effect on my powers.

When I was about waist deep in the water, only then realizing I still had my sword, I stopped and took a deep breath. Sticking one hand into the water, I watched as a larger than usual wave approached me; strangely enough not being my doing. As it got closer, I raised my hand slowly out of the water and watched the waves separate before me, forming a crevice just large enough for me to fit through. As the wave passed over me, I turn to face it and stuck both hands in the water. This time, I made myself change the flow of the water. The wave began receding and the water that fueled it began piling back up into the ocean. I removed my hands from the current once more, watching as the coastline was hit with a wave just a fraction of the size it had once been.

"Whew," I shook my hands, "And that's why I'm the best."

A small roar behind me made me to do a one-eighty. I faced the deep ocean, and a wave approaching that was even bigger than the last. Daddy, you really need keep your kingdom under control.

I smiled as the massive wave approached me, sucking the water from beneath me until it was down to my knees. "Mom is so gonna want to hear about this."
"Love is the name for our pursuit of wholeness, for our desire to be complete."
-Plato's Symposium

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 am
Sunshine says...

Name: Ella Pond

Parents: Aphrodite and Luke Pond

Appearance:
Spoiler! :

Ella is rather tall, at 5'll, blessed with lots of curves. She has amber-brown eyes and a mocha skin tone. Her (River Song) hair is usually in its naturally curly state, but she's been known to straighten it. She has two piercings n her ear, and one in her belly button. These days, she's a bit into Britian, and you'll find her in suspenders and a bowtie over a British flag T-shirt. She is rather typical Aphrodite like this- fashion is important, like beauty. She almost always wears make-up.

Personality: Ella walks into every room like she owns it. She's extremely over-confident, enough so that she says whatever she wants whenever she wants to. She flirts with anything- even the satyrs, when she's in the mood- and has no sense of shame. Shame is only a self-limit, right? All of this means that she's quick to speak, with a sharp and often witty tongue; she has done her studies, and (thinks) she shows it very well. Ella also comes off as a little vain and self-centered, but doesn't care all that much about what people think of her.

Ella is constantly reinventing herself. She hates to be bored (ADHD leak) and is in constant search of something new and fun to do. This leads to a few commitment problems. One week she'll be wearing skater shoes and calling everyone 'dude', and the next she'll be a Doctor Who shirt and calling everyone 'Darling'. Not afraid to be herself, Ella loves pick-up lines. She's a little flighty, yes, but everything is a beautiful adventure. When she loves- which is often- she pours her entire heart and soul into it; which means broken pieces she's not always strong enough to pick up.

Brief history: Ella's father, Luke, drives race cars for a living. She doesn't, and never has, got to see him very much. She went to a private school, never getting into much trouble at all. (So she says, but there was some squeezing out of tight situations.) She became very independent, and loves her family at her private school. Her Summers were spent on Long Island with her Aunt, or driving race cars with her Dad- something that quickly lost appeal. The past few years, a 'benefactor' has left her a few gifts- gifts she now pressumes are from her mother.

Favorite Weapon: A weapon! How dare you suggest such a thing! (She has poisinous lipstick given to her by her 'benefactor'- mother- a last year. It doesn't hurt her, but one touch on your skin you'll get a miserable rash. One touch on the lips and you'll be sick for a week.)

Magical Item (if you have one): I guess the thing above counts.

Up for love: Darling, do you even need to ask~?

Other: She's new, but she'll be clamed quickly. Ella may/may not have charmspeak.
Last edited by Sunshine on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Thu May 09, 2013 12:57 am
View Likes
Sunshine says...

Ella Pond, Unclaimed- Walking Into Camp

"We are so late."

"Fashionable so."

"Chiron is going to kill me." Lyson mutters, paying no attention to my comment.

My goat-legged escort looks terrible; I'm the third 'half-blood' (whatever that is.) he's picked up today. His hair is a scraggely mess around his face, and he has scratch marks everywhere I look. Even his goat fur is matted down, almost to a point where it's humorous.

I pick dirt from my nails as we walk. It's a talent I've perfected over many years of boring walks at Southfield Academy. "I'm sure this Sharon lady will understand. I mean you're girlfriend better be used to this if I'm the third whatever-you-call-it today."

Lyson sighs so heavily his baby beard flutters with the sound of it. "Half-Blood," he corrects, "and Cheer-ron. He's the Head of Camp, so you better get used to saying it."

"So that means no girlfriend?" I say this in as light and joking way as possible, but Lyson's head still snaps around to look at me.

"Don't even start."

My understanding to his sudden grumpy attitude is limited; I flirted with him all the time when he was undercover as a foreign exchange student. I'm about to say something else when my breath catches in my throat. We've reached the top of a small slope, most of which I proudly marched over (thank god for grumpy old Ms. Heathcliff's gym class!), and what lies before me is- to say the least- majorly impressive.

"It's beautiful," I whisper, taking in the strawberry fields and cabins that lie patterned before me.

Lyson smiles. He has a nice, teeth-baring smile. "Isn't it? Now, come one- you better go meet Chiron."

Somethng occurs to me. "Is he a goat too? Crap, is everyone here a goat?"

The fondness Lyson had for me mere moments ago dissapeared back under the exhaustion of my confusion. "He's a horse."

"A horse."

"Yeah."

"..."

A horse. My brain suddenly realizes what a weird day this has actually been; the cute foreign exchange student turns half-goat on the last day of school, whisking me out of Manhattan in a taxi driven by three old gray ladies, and constantly calling me a Half-Blood. Every thought in my mind thinking that he meant half-black, half-white is suddenly gone.

"Lyson." I ask, quiet as I can get my own voice. "What am I?"

He doesn't respond for a moment, merely looking out at the shore, full of kids jumping and laughing. A party I hadn't noticed was there.

"We don't know yet, Ella. Something good, we hope."

I look back out into the water, watching as a boy swims into a wave, fresh and fearlessly facing his destiny. Without knowing what I'm doing, I break away from Lyson, running as fast as I can.

"Ella!"

My name is another thing that weighs me down, and I cannot afford that when I am here to face something new. I focous on an edge- away from the crowd, but not by much- and churn my legs into a motion that will get me there.

I stand above the churning, darkening waters and yell at the top of my lungs. "MY NAME IS ELLA POND, AND NOW THE PARTY HAS REALLY BEGUN!"
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

147 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 147
Thu May 09, 2013 2:24 am
View Likes
Carina says...

Abri Moreau, daughter of Aphrodite

Today was the first day of camp, which meant that everyone—including all of Abri's Aphrodite sisters and brothers that made her life somewhat more exciting—returned back to Camp Half-Blood. Although her popular sisterly clique that made up of the prettiest girls in her cabin usually showed off their presence to the rest of the dirty and wild camp, they let all the campers run free today. Instead, they laid out in the sun, caught up with each other, listened to some music, played some volleyball, swam, hung out, and had their own picnic besides Chiron's will that they should really mingle with the rest of the camp. (Which was a total joke, by the way.)

Eventually the sun set down and the moon rose up in the sky. Finally. Even when Abri looked all happy and smiley and laughed when her siblings made the stupidest jokes, she has always disliked the first day the most. True, it was really awfully lonely when they all move out after the summer, but honestly, just because they admire her for being an oh-so-devoted year-round camper doesn't mean that she should be the stupid cabin leader. It was because of that, wasn't it? Or maybe it was because she was the best charmspeaker, or maybe it was because no one else wanted the job, which she could totally understand because being the leader sucked. She had to do this and that, and then she had to welcome all new siblings on the first day which, based on previous years, was so totally boring and dull.

So when one of the girls said, "Hey, Abri, have you heard? There's a party tonight!" sparks of opportunities just flew and popped in her head. Abri liked her siblings and all, but really, there's a party, and she couldn't just let that fly by.

Not bothering to change out of her white summer shorts and loose see-through pink blouse that openly revealed her bikini top, she left the group, heading towards the other side of the beach where there no doubt was dancing and music and fun.

In no time, they found it. The beach was packed with what looked like most of the campers, and Abri was immediately greeted and hugged by campers she didn't even know existed, but would flash a half-attempted smile anyways. Then, without meaning to, she bumped into Rachel Dare, the oracle that she has always thought of as annoying, ditzy, and, honestly, weird.

"Hey, Abri!" she greeted with a grin that showed obvious trace amounts of pride that she gets to talk to Abri, the most popular girl in the camp.

Abri decided to go with it, smiling wide just for her. "Hey, Rachel. And..." She looked at the girl that was awkwardly standing beside her. "New girl? What cabin are you from?" She totally skipped out on the what-is-your-name question, finding her godly parent more interesting to talk about.

"Laila," the girl timidly replied, looking down at the ground as if she was scared of people. "Daughter of Hermes."

"Ohh, okay," Abri said back airily, looking around the crowd, already deciding that she was not worth her time. Her attention then snapped back to Rachel and suddenly she smiled her melting Aphrodite smile. "Oh my gods! I love your bracelet." She was looking down at the one Laila was wearing, but her thoughts screamed "Ugly, ugly, ugly—it's ugly!" She pulled her long hair back, offering another Aphrodite-blessed smile. Abri was a strong charmspeaker, and she has used it so much it has gotten to the point where it's on the edge of her every word, encasing every syllable that comes out of her mouth as a thin charmspeaking accent that could make people melt with emotions.

"Hey, Abri!" Alex called out not too far away from the crowd, giving her a grin and a wave.

Abri looked at him and waved back, eager to finally get this party started away from losers. She didn't let this thought show across her smile, though. "Well, gotta run," she said to them. "If you need any help, let me know." Of course, that last understatement was a total lie, but she liked to get on the good side of people even when she never wanted anything to do with them again.

Without waiting for their response, Abri sauntered over to where Alex was standing. He was one of the few Ares kids that she liked and even accepted, so there was no hesitation as she went up to him and gingerly pulled his hair back, smiling. "Hey, cutie. How long has it been since I've seen you? A day?" she joked. They were both year-round campers, and they spent a considerable amount of time with each other. Although there were always rumors that they were dating due to their similar flirtatious personality, that was certainly not the case. They were just friends—closer friends, but still nonetheless friends.

He laughed, nudging her away. "Did you see the new guy jump off the cliff?"

Abri groaned, rolling her eyes. "Are they seriously still doing that? Gods, that was so last year." She could still remember getting up on the new people last year, saying that she and the rest of the campers will not accept them if they don't prove themselves by jumping into the waters below the cliff.

They continued to chat and greet people in the crowd, and the longer they stood there, the more it seemed like the crowd drifted towards them. Maybe it was because Abri was the daughter of Aphrodite, or maybe it was because the campers from last year rated her as the most popular girl in the camp. Whatever the case was, she and Alex bumped into Harlow and Rand.

"Harlow, Rand!" Alex greeted.

Abri looked at them with a sarcastic look that said, Oh, great, here comes the joy of my life, written all over it.

"Hi, Alex...Abri," Rand started off happily, but then said Abri's name bluntly.

She rolled her eyes. "Oh, please, Rand. As if you can get anymore cooler hanging out with that girl." She gestured at Harlow, glaring at her. Abri has never been on good terms with Rand and Harlow even when they were all cabin leaders.

Harlow glared at her. "Excuse me?"

"Ummm...guys?" Alex pitched in helplessly. And here was yet another argument between the three...on the first day of camp.

"Hey, back off," Rand said fiercely, wrapping his hands around Harlow's waist. "Harlow's nice, unlike you. Why don't you try to be like her for once instead of being so judgemental?"

"Guys...guys!" Alex pitched in again, nudging them to stop.

Abri glared at Rand. Some people around them heard what was going on and listened intently. Deep in the pit of her heart, Abri could feel the anger and irritation boil inside of her, and because her looks tended to link with her feelings, her normally brunette hair seemed to shimmer auburn and her eyes looked like they could burn anyone down.

"Rand, sweetie," she said, using her charmspeak at full power. It was almost lulling and hypnotic to hear. "Why don't you shut up and not start stupid unnecessary drama? And, while you're at it, go and grow a pair."

Suddenly something in the sky caught their attention: the moon that was formerly white and full was now red and almost violent looking. Whispers went around the crowd, and it caught everybody's attention as the moonlight made their surroundings a reddish, bloody color.

Strange. Eerie, too.
Suddenly Abri's vision blurred and thoughts raced in her mind. Her heart pulsed with a sudden burst of adrenaline running through her blood, and a raspy voice said to her: Go to the arena. Go to the arena. For a second, Abri thought that everyone heard this voice, but judging from Harlow's, Alex's, and Rand's reaction on the moon rather than the voice, they appeared to not have heard anything at all.

Suddenly she felt sick. If they said something to her before, she didn't hear it. "I...have to go," she said quietly, worry and confusion daintily painted on her face. She turned to leave, unaware if any of them tried to stop her or say something against her decision.

Maybe they thought it was strange that she went off on her own because Abri never, ever did that in fear that it would weaken her and make her look like a loner, but it just happened. In a quick, brisk pace, she headed to the arena in the distance, her head still spinning and the voice getting weaker and weaker. It was almost as if someone was speakcharming her and not the other way around.

Finally, she arrived.

The voice disappeared, her head went back to normal, but her thoughts still buzzed with the people she saw in front of her.

"Gemini?!"
Last edited by Carina on Thu May 09, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chaotic lazy
—Omni

the queen of memes
—yosh

secret supreme overlord of yws
—Atticus

saint carina, patron saint of rp
—SilverNight

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Thu May 09, 2013 3:53 am
AdventurerDaniel says...

Rand Aloemir- Son of Apollo

I looked at Abri walk off and was almost overjoyed, regardless of how attractive she was, in my opinion she was a total loser for how she treated people. I looked to the sky and saw the crimson moon that had silenced everyone and got their attention. I looked at Alex and he locked eyes with me we were on the same wave length. I looked to Harlow and she nodded we were three of the cabins leaders that were still here, we needed to take control of the situation. "Harlow I'm sorry about Abri she's a total brat but, we have bigger things to worry about. Alex gather up the other campers and send them back to their cabins. Harlow, well and Alex, pick some people from your cabin and tell them to join us."

Harlow and Alex went to their business, I looked at Ben and Wakely and gestured for them to come over. "Wakely, something's going down, you and Ben go grab your weapons and meet me at the archery field."

Wakely nodded and headed to our cabin but Ben remained there, "what's going down is something wrong with Artemis?" He seemed concerned dad had told me he'd somehow earned Artemis's favor.

"Hopefully no, but honestly I'm unsure hopefully it's just a localized event and not something going on around the world." I stretched and sighed, "so are you going to go get your weapon or what?"

Ben pulled a bow out that I hadn't noticed, "I always keep my weapon on me."

I chuckled and pulled out my bow as well, "I guess great minds think alike huh little bro." Well then let's head to the Archery fields and wait for the others." I went and told Harlow and Alex the plan before I walked off with Ben. I looked down at my younger brother, I didn't like a lot of the other Apollos they tended to be jocks. They didn't like me as a cabin leader because I prefered music and things but Ben seemed like a good kid. "Hey I'm sorry for making a joke about dad getting around when we first met."

Ben looked up surprised, "it's really no big deal."

"I guess, I mean dad basically told mom to start sending me here as soon as I turned 12." I looked down at my feet meeting Ben reminded me of the life outside of camp I'd barely had. He was guided here, but I was sent against my will. "I mean dad is a good guy but I guess I resent him a little bit. I mean he's had my back and even gave me some prophecy ability to keep me safe." I sighed we made it to the archery fields and I sat down. "Look what I'm saying is I've met dad on different occasions and well just don't let opinion affect yours."
So much depends
upon
a red wheel
barrow
glazed with rain
water
beside the white
chickens.
Red Wheel Barrow by- William Carlos Williams

83 Reviews

Thu May 09, 2013 5:17 am
Dutiful says...

Laila - Hermes. Monday night

Rachel and I stopped right in front of the crowd. Or more likely, I'd stopped. I didn't want to go further in there.
Rachel, sensing my unease said,"There's nothing to worry about. I'll be fun."
I nodded and walked ahead with her.

Just then, a girl so beautiful she was breathtaking came towards us with a brilliant smile.

"Hey Abri!" Rachel said, smiling.
"Hey Rachel and..", Abri looked at me and asked, "New girl? What cabin are you from?"
I was standing awkwardly when she'd asked me.
"Laila," I said, hesitating. "Daughter of Hermes."
A look of disappointment or annoyance crossed her face for just a second that I though I'd imagined it. Then she flashed her million watt smile at Rachel and I.
"Oh gods, I love your bracelet!" she exclaimed looking at me.
Oh. The bracelet. I'd made it for my mom when I was in 6th grade. She wore it just about everyday. Then when I was leaving for Camp today, she'd removed it and handed it to me saying, " Don't forget me, dear."
The bracelet looked childish, but Abri loved it. Which meant that it looked gorgeous. Right?
She had such a beautiful voice.
Someone called Abri from the distance and she left us.

"She's beautiful," I commented to Rachel.
"Well, she is the daughter of Aphrodite after all."
I felt sad. Why couldn't I have been born to Aphrodite?

I watched Abri finish talking to the guy and turn to a couple walking her way. They seemed to like each other, but were too shy I guess?

"Who are they, talking to Abri?" I asked Rachel.
"Oh them, they're Harlow and Rand. Harlow's the daughter of Athena and Rand is the son of Apollo."

It looked like Harlow and Abri really hated each other. Who could hate Abri?

I was distracted by a 'whoosh!' Someone had fallen into the water! I ran over to the edge of the cliff just as a girl was wading back to the shore. She was followed by a guy who looked.. drunk?

"What happened?" I asked Rachel

"Oh, this is a ritual where the newbies are pushed over the cliff to show their bravery. Its stupid."

I took two steps away from the cliff, feeling nauseous.
"Who's that guy? Is he.. drunk?"

That's Daemon, son of Dionysus. Of course, he'll be drunk!" She laughed.
I stood there and watched Deamon mingle with the crowd.

Feeling lonely, I turned to Rachel and said, "You kniw, parties are not my cup of tea. I'm going back to the cabin. I'll see you tomorrow!"
"If you're sure. It was nice meeting younLaila!"
I waved goodbye and walked over to the cabin. All my stuff was thrown outside!
I picked up all my stuff and took them into the cabin.
My diary was left open.
Oh.
The entry had been written when I was younger, when I'd found out about my godly parent.
I'd been excited to know that my dad was a god. Thats when I'd written it down.
But he had been reluctant to send me to the Camp because he was wprried about the war of the Titans and hadn't wanted me to get hurt.

I wonder who'd read it.
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu May 09, 2013 6:37 am
cm57105 says...

Spoiler! :
sorry, for the short post :(

"Come on Ry! Abri might have changed!" Ness whined, dragging me towards the cliff.
"Seriously?" I said, loading scorn into my voice. Ness grinned, giving me a wink. I sighed, gave him a thumbs up and we walked towards the cliff.

Abri was... Difficult. Not that she thought Riley was anything above scum. Not since what had happened last time. But Abrin was there, same as everyone else and she was determined to ignore Abri.
If you don't have a trophy case that spins into a secret room with a press of a button, then your an idiot.

Need a review? You've come to the right person.

http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=188&p=1143828#p1143828

83 Reviews

Thu May 09, 2013 10:57 am
Dutiful says...

Laila- Hermes

I sighed and set all my things back to the way it was. I looked over and saw another bunk filled with stuff. Well, I might as well get to know my own siblings.

I went over and sifted through stuff. Nothing that could help me identify this person. But looking through all the stuff, I realized this was a girl. A sister! How cool was that!

I wonder where she was. Probably with the rest by the cliff.

I stood by the entrance of the cabin and looked at the sky. The moon was full and glowing red. Wait, red? That was not supposed to happen. Something must be wrong.

I looked ahead and saw 2 campers take their weapons out. Rand was it? And another guy.

Something was definitely wrong. I decided to cast aside my shyness and find out the problem.

I jogged over to them and asked, " Whats up with the moon? Is something wrong with Artemis?"
Both of them gave me a blank look and I realized they didn't know me.
"Oh sorry. I'm Laila, new recruit."
"Hey Laila, I'm Rand."
"Hi, I'm Ben."
Ben looked a little shy while Rand on the other hand was oozing with confidence. I noticed that both of them looked really good.
"Are the two of you from the same cabin?" I asked before I could stop myself. I looked down with embarrassment.
"Yeah, we're both sons of Apollo", Rand replied smiling. Ben didn't say a word.
"Oh, cool. So, I'm guessing you can sing very well?"
"More than that luv," Rand said grinning.
I smiled at the two of them and said, " So, the problem? Whats wrong with the moon?"
They immediately turned serious and Ben said, "Thats what we're going to find out."
― Sylvia Plath

1417 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1417
Thu May 09, 2013 1:43 pm
View Likes
Noelle says...

Lexi - Ares
Monday Evening

I was just about to break when I saw it. Gemini may be able to control lightning, but sword play, that's my specialty.

I stood my ground for as long as needed. The sword was barreling towards me and for a scary second I thought that I had missed my opportunity. But then I stuck out my foot and sent her flying. Her blade flew too far for her to reach.

The fight was mine.

Quickly, she flipped onto her back, but the tip of my blade was already pointed at her neck. "Game over." I growl. No one messes with a daughter of Ares. Besides, I've been living here for the past five years, training and preparing for the time that Gemini would return. And here she is, at my mercy. I should pat myself on the back.

She smiles at me. "Yeah, you win, didn't miss a beat at all eh Lexi?" That's right, I never miss a beat. I should've killed her right then and there, but if she was still there that mean Chiron knew about her and had something up his sleeve (so to speak because, you know, centaurs don't have sleeves).

Putting my blade aside, I held out my hand and helped her up. "You know, I actually used my head to beat you this time." It was true. I knew that Gemini was a skilled fighter like me so I knew I needed to use something other than sheer force.

"Where's Abri at?" Gemini asked. I looked at her curiously, trying to figure out what her motive was. She used to talk about stuff when she was at camp. I wasn't sure if she was serious about the whole revenge against the gods thing. Is she back to recruit people? If she tries to get me she'll get a punch in the face.

I shrugged. "Probably down by the lake. There's some party thing going on tonight. You're little stunt with the moon interrupted my plan to terrorize the newbies." I scowled at her and she laughed.

"How do you know it was me?"

"Come on," I said, crossing my arms. "I wasn't sure when it first happened, but now that you're here--I know that it was you." She gave me a look and then suggested that we find Abri.

We didn't have to go very far.

"Gemini?!" Standing in the entrance to the arena was Abri. Her brown hair was in long curls and seemed to bounce every time she took a step. But she wasn't moving right now; she was just standing there, a stunned expression holding her face captive.

"Hey Abri," Gemini said, smiling at the girl we were both friends with all those years ago. "Glad to see me?"

"No, not really," she responds. "Why are you here? And with her" She glared pointedly at me and I growled in the back of my throat.

"Nice to see you too." I've tried my best to stay out of her way at camp this year. Thankfully our cabins don't have any activities together. Not that I'd want to have anything to do with the Aphrodite cabin.

I looked from Gemini to Abri and back again. No one was saying anything and it was a little discerning. "So, Gemini, why exactly are you here?" Abri crossed her arms and glared, but Gemini just grinned.

"Well," she started.

Spoiler! :
Hope this is good LH and Carina. I wasn't sure what you were planning for Gemini, LH so I left it open to you.
Noelle is the name, reviewing and writing cliffhangers is the game.

Writer of fantasy, action/adventure, and magic. Huzzah!

"I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done." -- Steven Wright

YWS is life

But answer me this: how can a story end happily if there is no love?
— Kate DiCamillo, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane