z

Young Writers Society

The Lost Heir

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm
AngerManagement says...

Kris Lennon

I rested my head on the grass, it was a nice day. By nice, I meant sunny and I was feeling a bit sleepy. I knew I should probably be getting acquainted with my group but I wasn't bothered. Walking over to where they were required a bit of effort.

I turned my face up to the sky, squinting so I could watch the sun. Most people stargazed, I sun-gazed, it did nothing for your eyesight but it was so beautiful. I tore off a piece of grass and toyed with it trying to forget the disaster that awaited me at home. I wasn't going to marry some snot-nosed rich guy, not now, not ever.

Might as well go meet the crew. I thought, pushing myself up as I headed towards camp.

"Honey, I'm home." I called.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:48 pm
Maybe says...

*I don't think we're all on the same page here. Some people are writing as though all the characters are asleep. Some are writing that we're all awake but it is indeed night, and some are writing as though it's midday. For the sake of interaction between characters, and what what the majority seems to already be writing, lets stick with the second option. If anyone is (still) confused, PM me and I'll explain.

Caine - Wild Dog

The sun had long since sunk below the horizon, and the last thin threads of violet and gold were slowly fading into the dark sky. I had always found a strange amount of comfort in the night - I suppose it was because it was easier to hide in the darkness. Not that I was a coward, but I also wasn't stupid. I'd been hunted by predators larger than myself before, and to fight instead of flight would have meant suicide.

Green flames lept up from within the fire. Many of the others jumped back, startled, as Renda chuckled quietly from her place beside me. She spoke briefly following an outburst from one of the other team members, but both of their words were tuned out as I watched the dancing flames. Then I felt Renda's presence leave my side, and the fire turned orange and yellow once more. Someone plunged into the forest after her.

I looked around our small campsite. Some were still out hunting, while others lazed about near the fire, enjoying a full stomach. A figure strode into camp, and I turned to see a girl that I had yet to be introduced to. Her hair was wild, and her hands and feet oddly disproportionate. A lion, if I had to guess. Memories of my childhood surfaced, and I grimaced and looked away. I didn't have a good track record with lions. All the ones that I had known before had been part of the group that had loved to torment and mock me.

My gaze returned to the fire. From across the blaze I caught Dimov staring at me intently, though I could not read the expression on his face. He didn't look away when I met his stare, and I held the gaze for a few seconds before breaking it, turning once more to the fire. I scowled darkly, reminding myself that making enemies with wolves was not a good idea. But then, I wasn't going to be the one to plop down beside him and offer my hand in a hearty handshake. Like I said, I wasn't stupid.

I stared broodingly into the flames, knees drawn up to my chest and chin resting on top of them. I hoped that we would be able to find the Prince soon, or have someone else find him so that we could go home. I didn't want to be part of some search party when we didn't even know where we were supposed to be searching. It was a fools errand. Likely the Prince was already dead, and the kidnapper was making their move at the royal palace to get whatever they had wanted in the first place. I didn't know much about war or schemes like this, but I knew enough to know that people didn't just murder monarchs out of cold blood. There was a motive behind the actions. And that motive had probably already killed the Prince we were looking for.

I sighed. It looked like it was going to be a long three months.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

Kierso- Wild Dog

I wrapped my arms around myself. I had managed not to get noticed thus far, and was now silently looking at the fire. I wasn't very hungry and had set myself to just keeping an eye out for threats or movement. I had no idea what to do, and I think it showed, but I didn't have much of a reputation to ruin anyway.

I shot a look at the man across for me and dropped my eyes almost immediately. I was still slightly paranoid that this was some sort of plot to reveal my weaknesses to the kingdom and thereby bring about my downfall and ruin my future. Future, ha! What future did I have? Running around town dropping off packages, that's what my future was. Not much I could do about that.

I was tempted to just change, really quick, just to get a quick run, but honestly I was a bit lethargic at the moment. Didn't want to even move. The fire was entrancing, the embers captivating. My eyes were swimming in and out of focus and my hat was slipping in my eyes again. I didn't mind, but then again, I didn't mind much of anything. So much for being opinionated.

I blinked a few times and then sighed, rubbing the back of my neck. I was just hanging in the background, not doing anything to help. Mama would be ashamed- but what was I supposed to do? I couldn't go to find food, because I wasn't hungry. I couldn't explore, because I wasn't curious. And I had no idea how I was supposed to start looking for the prince.

Gangly, awkward girl: Zilch. Pyro Mons: One.
Last edited by NinjaCookieMonster on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:08 am
Vampyre says...

First off - Sorry it's taken me so long to get back! My internet's down and I'm stuck using the library for a few days. Please bear with me, and it would be great if someone could drag me along if you all change locations and I'm not here to do it myself. Thanks!

Arnyss - Owl

The fire burnt green as a girl - Renda I think her name was threw some sort of plant in from a pouch at her waist. Another member of our group snapped at her, and she retorted quickly before turning and striding off. Most stayed steated around the fire, enjoying a full stomach. Mine growled - I still hadn't eaten, not wanting to interact with the others. Instead, I was sitting cross-legged with my back leaning against a slim tree trunk, a few metres away from the rest of the group.

Mentally, I reviewed the others, deciding who I could stand, and who I couldn't....There were really only a couple, if I was honest with myself, that I cared to bother with. Not that I disliked the others, I just didn't get on well with a lot of people.
The other owl, for one, I liked. Lilth, his name was. And Caine, although some sort of dog...a wolf, perhaps? or a wild dog? seemed pretty quiet, and wasn't physically intimidating or seemingly cocky like a lot of his kind. Maybe I'd try talk to him someti-

My stomach growled again, breaking off my train of thought. I sighed, standing and stretching my arms, rolling my shoulders in preperation for flight. Noticing an owl - Lilth, flying through the trees, I changed form too, bursting into the canopy and quickly drawing level with him. I circled him to get his attention, then dropped down onto a branch. Once he'd followed, I folded my wings against my back and shifted partway into my half owl, half human form.
"I was going to go hunting," I told him, "but I'd rather not go alone. Would you keep me company?"

I bit my lip, hoping he'd agree. Yes, I preferred to hunt alone, but this place was unknown to me, and I wasn't one to take risks.
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:32 am
Sassafras says...

Lilth

I crashed through the trees leading back to the campsite. But, before I could even settle, another owl was flying around me in circles. Sighing, I followed suit when it landed on a branch and turned into Arnyss. I sat down on a branch opposite of her, in my half-human form.
"I'm going hunting," she said, "but I'd rather not go alone. Would you keep me company?" In the low light, I could see her bite her lip. I really shouldn't let her go alone, but I am pretty tired. She could get hurt by herself. I waited a few more seconds before rising into the air.
"I'll go," I said, allowing a small smirk to creep on to my face.

We set off into the trees, Arn being a small bit above me. Even in our animal forms, I could tell how hungry she was. I actually sort of felt sorry for the girl, the game here wasn't that tasty. She wouldn't be completely satisfied. Suddenly, I swooped down below and snatched a plump white mouse. She followed behind me and changed human when she touched land. Still in my animal form, I flew over with the mouse struggling in my talons, and dropped it in front of her. She smiled down at it and instantly started eating it. While she ate, I turned back human and sat down on the ground, folding my legs under me.
"If you're still hungry after that, I have more stored in a tree by the campsite. I would have given you those earlier but I'd supposed you wanted a nice hot meal." I shrugged and wiped blood from my nails onto my shirt. When I looked up, she was staring at me with big and happy eyes.
"Thanks," she mumbled. I stood up and ruffled my wings.
"No problem."
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 am
CardDragon says...

I'll think I'll claim a hyena. I am new to story-booking,so it may not be perfect.

Name: Leah Stark
Animal: hyena
Appearance - Written: Has brown eyes, short in stature,has long hair which cover his ears and is freckled.
Appearance - Picture:
Spoiler! :
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b4/Hyene_amneville.JPG/800px-Hyene_amneville.JPG

Personality: Not very serious, unless it is important. Can be very selfish at times.
Likes/Dislikes: Likes turning into a hyena, eating fresh birds and other animals. Also likes reading and playing tricks on others. Dislikes people that hate others, peace keepers and killing of humans.

History: Was separated from parents at birth, once lived in a orphanage for six years,but ran away when he couldn't take up with his difference. He lived inside a abandoned bookstore(that should have been long destructed.)

Other: Never has had any friends. Very lonely.
Last edited by CardDragon on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[color=#FF0000]I AM SICK PHANTOM![/color]

116 Reviews

Reviews: 116
Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:34 am
Maybe says...

*Hey, CardDragon! I'm glad you could join us! Since you're new to storybooking, I'll overlook the fact that your profile wasn't PMed to me - it very well could be that Lethero got it. Either way, it looks good. If you have any trouble jumping into the story, or need to know what's going on feel free to PM me.

Caine - Wild Dog

The two owls disappeared, escaping into the night to likely catch their dinner. I yawned and stretched lazily, briefly entertaining the thought of going to sleep. Likely I'd be woken up at some point during the night to take a watch shift - Dimov had already claimed the first few hours. The idea of having to remain awake in the dark in unfamiliar land surrounded by a bunch of strangers didn't sit very well with me.

At the same time, sleeping while a bunch of strangers roaming around the campsite in unfamiliar land also didn't appeal to me. I groaned slightly, silently cursing whoever had decided to kidnap the Prince. The world had known peace for hundreds of years. Why stir up trouble now, of all times? It didn't make any sense.

Across the fire sat the girl, who easily could have also been a wild dog. She mirrored my exact position - legs drawn up to her chin, and her arms wrapped around herself. She was staring into the fire broodingly, rubbing the back of her neck. To know there was at least one other of my kind would be a welcome relief; at least then I wouldn't be alone among the larger, stronger predators that seemed to make up the rest of our group. Save for perhaps the owls, who were probably on the same level. But no one would dare touch the owls. They were the only ones who knew magic. A wild dog? Fast, yes. Strong? No. Easily injured? Yes, fairly. Worth dragging around should injury occur? Probably not.

With a sigh, hoping I wouldn't regret it later, I quickly shifted forms. I tried to shake out my fur - more of a habit, really - to get it to behave. It didn't. I rolled my eyes before plastering a slightly more approachable look to my muzzle and trotting easily over to sit beside the girl. She glanced down at me from the corner of her eyes, as if judging me. I tried to ignore it, instead turning to gaze out into the fire. I had made the first move. Now it was her turn, and if she decided to pass it up then that was perfectly fine with me.
Be the cartoon heart. Light a fire, light a spark. Light a fire, flame in my heart. We'll run wild, we'll be glowing in the dark.

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 am
Vampyre says...

Firstly, our internet is fixed!

Arnyss - Owl

I tried to hide my sigh of relief when Lilth said he'd hunt with me, and changed back into an owl immediately, pushing off from the branch and gliding silently along, slightly above Lilth. My mind wandered as I automatically avoided the trees and scanned the ground for food.

A few leaves rustled as a white mouse scurried frantically for its hole. I tilted my wings toward the ground to snatch it but Lilth was there already, snatching it as it squeaked in terror. Disgruntled, I landed and changed back human - only to start in surprise as Lilth flew back over and dropped its limp body at my feet. I smiled in gratitude, looking down and beginning to eat quickly. My nose wrinkled - it didn't taste particularly appetising - but I was too hungry to complain.

"If you're still hungry after that, I have more stored in a tree by the campsite. I would have given you those earlier but I'd supposed you wanted a nice hot meal." I looked up at Lilth's words. He was watching me eat, and I slowed my pace slightly to reply.
"Thank you"
"No problem" he said easily, standing up.
Finishing the mouse, I stood too. "Thanks for hunting with me - and for that," I said, pointing at the space the mouse had occupied a few moments ago. "I'm gonna head back to camp. Thanks for the offer of more food, but I'm ok" I was still a little hungry, but the thought of eating cold meat was more than slightly off-putting. I liked my food fresh.

Stretching my arms into wings, I quickly rose again, following the sounds of people talking and the fire crackling back to the camp. Nothing much had changed, except Caine had was no longer in human form - Ah, a wild dog then, my mind idly noted - but sitting beside a similar-looking girl. I landed and moved towards the fire reluctantly as a human, my eyes wide open for any sort of trouble. I shivered slightly, rubbing my hands along my arms to warm myself up. The air was cold without feathers to protect my skin, but I supposed I had better introduce myself to at least a couple of people.

Making my way towards Caine and the other girl, I smiled slightly. "Hi, I'm Arnyss. I, er, change into an owl, um, obviously" I muttered awkwardly, one hand tugging at a feather in my hair, hoping no one else was listening. I was not well known to be good in social situations. Back with Master Shiik, everyone had thrown themselves into studying, with the result of no practise interacting with others. I hated to show weakness of any sort though, so in a steadier voice, I asked "So, where are you both from?" That sounded like a reasonable initiator for a conversation.
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

169 Reviews

Reviews: 169
Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:00 pm
Lethero says...

Dimov-Wolf

I didn't sleep that night, but then again I never could since I ran away from home. My hand wandered up to touch the scar over my right eye as I thought about that night. It was all most ten years ago hen I came home late to avoid my father's usual drunken rages, but when I arrived he was sitting there in the kitchen, a bottle of whiskey in his hand. He yelled and yelled, and I just stood there. When my mother came in to stop him, he back-handed her. For the first time, I felt rage, the wanting to kill someone. I remember transforming into a wolf and ripping out his throat. I don't remember how I got the scar but I remember waking up the next day in some lonely alley with it.

I sighed as I tried to drive the thoughts out of my mind. I looked up into the sky and watched as the sun peeked over the horizon. Everyone began to stir, while I went over to the fire and stirred up the coals, trying to drive the memories away.
Last edited by Lethero on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fly, Fight, Win . . . in Air, Space, and Cyberspace.
-Air Force Mission Statement-

Integrity First
Service Before Self
Excellence In All We Do
~Air Force Core Values~

*Lethero*

193 Reviews

Reviews: 193
Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:13 pm
AngerManagement says...

Kris.

I couldn't sleep.

I was also bored, boored, oh so incredibly bored. What exactly was one meant to do for fun in this part of the woods, I was also hungry. The whole lioness thing gave me a bit of a diverse menu, as most of the people I was sitting around, I could eat. In animal form, of course, I don't think it matters anyway.

"So...." I said, eyeing up my teammates and imagining them as potential dinner.

Snap out of it!

"Who knows how to cook, or fish, or so anything that involves me eating?" I got no answer.

"No one, eh?" I paused, picking at the grass. "Does anyone have any quick fix idea on how we can find the prince because I'm getting very hungry. And you guys are looking incredibly delectable right now."

"Like seriously delicious..."

Next person that pisses me off is my dinner.
Dont tell me the moon is shining, show me the glint of light on broken glass.

Anton Chekov

58 Reviews

Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:45 pm
CardDragon says...

Leah

I couldn't remember how I got here. I blinked, it was night time and I was in a forested area.
I sat up, and then I remembered. I must of have been out for a while.
I was late getting to the palace, it wasn't like anyone cared. The sad truth was that I actually cared,
for there was nothing ever to do at the abandoned bookstore.Except read books and eat whatever vermin happened to be there. Short story I hitch hiked on the Hover craft to which my group was on.
It was a while before I saw the dark shapes of Pyro Mountains. I felt the hover craft lower but I couldn't hold on anymore, my hands where contorted in pain. So I just let go,and it was a horrifying as I fell, it was a long distance down.
I hit a few trees and then came to the ground with a thud.
I examined myself ,I was lucky to be alive, I stood up and tired to walk. Weirdly nothing was broken, I stretched out my legs. Then I saw it, in the clearing there was a green fire with people sleeping around. I turned into my hyena form and took off towards the green fire.

161 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 161
Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 pm
Sassafras says...

Lilth

The Arynss took off and I slowly followed behind, too tired to even fly anymore. I was just about to break through the ring of trees leading to camp when I spotted another figure in the shadows. Instantly, I went into my animal form and flew towards it. When I got close enough, I could see that it was a hyena. It reared back a bit before turning human and straightening her posture and standing rigid. I landed in front of her and turned human.
"Who are you?" I asked simply. My lack of sleep showed in my voice.
"I'm Leah," she replied.
"What are you doing here?"
"I'm part of the group..I just had to hit a ride because I was a tad bit late." I nodded once before walking away. She'd provided a good enough excuse, but that wouldn't keep me from watching her a bit more.

Everyone was gathered around the fire so I decided to take a seat beside it. Arynss, Caine, and Kierso were talking in a small group so I decided that would be a perfect subject for a picture. I went over to the tree and grabbed my tools before walking back and starting my drawing. The new girl, Leah, went over to sit by them and started talking also.

"Does anyone have any quick fix idea on how we can find the prince because I'm getting very hungry. And you guys are looking incredibly delectable right now." I looked up and frowned at Kris's words. "Like seriously delicious..." Deciding it would be beyond horrid for him to eat anyone, I stood up and walked over to where she was sitting.
"It would be terrible for you to eat anyone," I started, keeping my voice smooth and even, "so just turn into your animal form and follow me." I started walking away before she could reply, but I heard the padding of footsteps not too far behind me. What was I? A lunch lady? Haven't these people any idea how to hunt for their own? I looked back at the wolf following me and turned into my animal.

Obviously not.
A pale imitator of a girl in the sky.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:43 pm
Kaywiia says...

Renda

I went back to my tent, and looked at the two mice-lings on the floor. Raw, and a little stale. Clearly, this wouldn't do.

I went out to the fire and asked, "Anyone got a cooking pot of some sort?" They all shook their heads, or mumbled a no. "Well, if one appears out of thin air by the magic of an elephant, please do tell me." I got a few looks from among the group. I looked into the sky, "Oh, my, the sky is such a beautiful shade of maroon."

"No it's not," someone remarked in confusion, "the sky is black."

I turned to the guy, Leah, I think his name was. "Only if you think it is," I turned back to my tent. Once I was there, I pulled my cooking pot from out of my bag. I managed to make a little fire on the floor of the tent. I fished through my trunk for the various plants I needed. If it smelled good, I put it in the pot.

After about ten minutes, I had a pretty good smelling bisk. I tossed the two mice in, and waited patiently for them to cook. I saw Kris poke her head in my tent.

"What are you making; it smells good?"

"I don't know, why don't you tell me?" I returned. She threw her hands p in the air, and walked out of the tent. Well, if she didn't want any mice-bisk, that was too bad for her.
Last edited by Kaywiia on Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is beautiful, but what would love be without life?

84 Reviews

Reviews: 84
Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:30 am
fictionfanatic says...

can someone bring in my charrie?
Live, Love, Laugh

58 Reviews

Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:32 am
CardDragon says...

I guess my character is a she now. Just have to change the profile..

First you broke my moustache, now you break my heart.
— MaybeAndrew