Young Writers Society

The Ruby of Zoran

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:26 am
View Likes
retrodisco666 says...

Zelvna Nay'all

All day yesterday when I was shopping for supplies everyone had been talking about the ruby. An old Elven man had a grand-daughter and said she had magical potential. She looked so scared, but it was true, she did have magical potential. He then went on to say I could take her if I knew any infomation about the ruby. I said I didn't, which he did not believe, but let me take her regardless.

I spoke to the silk merchant, the most reliable source of infomation in the entire land about the ruby, he told me that there was a rumour that it was somewhere in the Ziaras fields. I sighed at the thought and rolled over on my sack. What the ruby could do for us. I could not sleep. I tossed and turned all night with the thought. I could have the ruby in a week. I could buy us elves new equipment.

Midnight crept over me, the sanguine horizon out of my window seemed to be calling to me. I sat up abruptly. I was going to do it. I began stuffing my things into an old battered bag, once it was full I slung it over my shoulder and began to walk away from the camp, and my single thought and purpose was the ruby.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:00 pm
Mazzi says...

Vincent Knight

Ah, so she is mute. I nodded trying to say OK, then I realized that she wasn't deaf. It felt weired speaking to her when she couldn't communicate with me the same way. I replied, still feeling uneasy "I understand. So what is your name?" She starting writing on her notepad again and gave me another page. Blossom Zan'te it said. "What a beautiful name." She smiled and there was an awkward silence and I waited for her to write the next thing, I didn't want her to feel like I was in control of the conversation.
Last edited by Mazzi on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tell the people Mazzi is here! To defend the defenseless! Befriend the friendless! And to defeat...the defeatless!

P.S and to love Lemurs!

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:17 pm
Tigersprite says...

Aikan Dursil

The streets of Adiel were mostly empty at this time of night. The only people I saw about were beggars, asleep in the alleys, and drunkards stumbling home from a night out on the town. I didn't see the horsemen and that bald man anywhere.

That Captain Pastas character was on his horse beside me. He was in a bad mood since I'd stopped him from attacking the horsemen. But it had been necessary, whereas their blood being shed wouldn't have been. The soldiers would stop them, I was sure of it. That head guard had been corrupt, but the others not so much; news of the men would reach the officials.

"I still don't understand why you stopped me," Pastas said to me angrily. "Those men deserved everything they would have got."

"And then what?" I said, turning to face him. "They are dead, and by your hand. You get arrested, I might too for merely being in the wrong place. The girls may have been picked up by different bandits. Killing them would have accomplished nothing."

He glared at me, and I turned away. I didn't have the time to argue.

"Where are you headed?" I asked him instead. He looked straight forward when he answered.

"I don't see how it's any of your business."

I only smiled. "Obviously, you're not from around here. Otherwise you'd be a bit more used to what happened at the gates. Maybe I can help you get where you're headed?"

Again, he didn't look at me when he answered. "To the Ziras Fields, stranger."

"My name is Aikan, Captain. And I am headed to the Ziras Fields also. I'll lead the way."

I walked ahead of him and his horse, eager to be at the Fields. I wanted to see Laridail. A Prince, a warrior, but he was my friend also. We had not spoken in nearly a year, since we'd trained together under Gusha, but the bond we'd formed as fellow apprentices, even despite our age differences, had been strong. I looked forward to seeing him again.

I was lost in my thoughts, and so when Kadum growled in my ear I was surprised and looked up sharply. Ahead, nearly invisible in the poor light, was an Elven woman, with a bow slung across her back. She walked slowly, almost as if she was lost in her thoughts.

"Hello?" She turned around at my call, and there was something akin to, but not quite, surprise on her face. Before she could speak, Pastas growled behind me.

"It's just an Elf," he said disgustedly. "Not much better than vermin. Let's move on."

Before I could talk, the Elven woman replied, "You'd do best to watch your mouth, shemen*. Else you might not have the use of it for much longer." I noticed

Pastas turned to her in anger, his hand on his sword. "What did you call me vermin?"

"There's no need for this to get out of hand," I said, attempting to defuse the escalating situation. "Let's all--"

"I'd say it's already out of hand," someone said behind us. I turned around, to see a Zanam boy watching us with an amused expression.

-----------------------------------

Shemen is an insulting word for Humans in old Elven. Retrodisco666 is credited with its invention in this SB.
Last edited by Tigersprite on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:27 pm
bonnie babe says...

Tanosh Abur

I had walked, it felt, for days and had finally arrived at Ziaras Fields. I scanned to immediate area to see if I could find anyone else waiting before the vast sea of golden grasses. Sure enough, I spotted a sitting figure and started towards it.

Upon closer inspection, the figure was an elf; the strangest looking elf I had ever laid my eyes upon. He was wearing tattered rags and ornaments that appeared to be made of bones; the wind caught his strong scent of earth and carried it to my nose. He appeared to be meditating.

I assumed that seeing there were no elves dressed like this one around this area normally, he must be waiting for Laridail. I sat down a few paces from him and stared at the clearing clouds from the recent storm.

After sitting with my 'companion' for a small amount of time I made a single observation, “That cloud over there looks like a rabbit, don't you think?”

I looked over to the Elf for his reply.

*Sorry this is late, I was called out to work last night and didn't get back home 'till 1am!*
Last edited by bonnie babe on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" -Einstien

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 pm
Sins says...

Xavier ap Ganthi

"I'd say it's already out of hand." I smirked at the humans before turning to the elf.

Her eyes were narrowed, she lifted her chin up when she saw me. If it wasn't for the clear look of disgust on her face, she may have been rather attractive. I couldn't help but laugh.

"In fact." I turned back to the humans, concentrating on the one who appeared to be more aggressive. "I believe that she should be punished. A good slice across the throat would do." I impersonated slicing my own throat with my hand, still smiling.

"No!" The other human's voice was raised. "There is no need for this."

This man needed to calm himself. We were merely entertaining ourselves. What else was there to do on such a cold night when stuck behind a protected gate? A pleasured grin on my face, I reached into my tattered bag. Pushing the blanket and any food out of the way, I took hold of my old knife. The second its rough handle touched my hand, I grasped it tightly. I drew it out of the bag and held it up in front of the elven woman.

"Do not be foolish, beggar!" The elf laughed. "The only damage that weapon could do is slice me some bread!"

"Oh, no." I smiled again. "This has powers that you could not even imagine of having. It has the potential to commit crimes even the devil would despise doing."

Her expression appeared to change then. She watched the knife as I held it firmly in my hand. The humans seemed to be watching it too now, to my my delight. Telling everything but the truth was ever so fun sometimes. A drunken, unconscious Zanam would have probably been more dangerous than this knife.

I was never one for fighting in battles, but watching them were to my fancy. If I could start one... A strong gust if wind roared, a few raindrops falling onto my face. The grass underneath my bare feet was damp, freezing the tips of my toes. I shivered before returning my concentration back to the humans and the elf.

"What is your name?" The human who'd tried to stop the fight looked at me.

"My name is whatever my mother wished to call me." I threw the knife up, catching it with the same hand as it fell back down.

The human shook his head, his jaw clenched. Everything seemed to be going according to plan. This man appeared not to be overly fond of me, and that elven woman most definitely wasn't. I watched the man carefully and I soon paused. For some reason, it felt as though I recognised his face... but how?

"Is your name Aikan Dursil?" I lifted my knife down.

The man nodded warily. I'd heard about him. A few people that I knew told me that he lived in Zanam community, despite the fact that he was human. I kept my eyes on Aikan Dursil. He'd been described to me as looking like that. It must have been the same man who lived with Zanams. Why was he here?

"Yours?" Dursil asked again.

He appeared to be relieved that I'd lowered my knife. I then realised that any hopes of a fight had vanished. Both the elven and the other human were concentrated on me now, a little unsure of the weapon in my hand. I frowned. There was me hoping for a brawl.

"Xavier," I muttered, putting my knife back into my bag.

"Xavier what?" Dursil asked.

"Just Xavier."
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

333 Reviews

Reviews: 333
Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:26 pm
retrodisco666 says...

Zelva Nay'all

"Put the knife away, it is a bread knife." I said firmly. He looked up, his eyes narrowed.
"Let's run it across your throat and see shall we," He declared stirring some late night drunks. He began to pace towards me.
"Now don't do anything stupid Xavier," A human tried to reason. I glared at him. I did not need protecting from filthy Shemen. Xavier started to pick up his pace, and I had already called his bluff. I yawned, so over the top that I saw a the full hatred in his eyes. He lunged, brandashing the knife, I stepped to the side causing him to fall over his own stupidity.
"Finished?" I asked sarcastically. He just sighed. I heard the un-reasoning human growl for the second time,
"Be quiet Shemen or you will have to go on a leash!" I yelled. His growl fell silent.

The calm human cautiously stepped forward. I shot him a look and he stopped in his tracks.
"What is your name?" He said it as if he was talking to a child, yet he was probably just trying to be careful.
"Zelva, and you'll do well to remember it as I will not be telling you again." I said bluntly. The thought then dawned on me that I no longer knew where I was, I had been wandering for so long that I had become completely lost.
"Tell me Shemen, how do I get to the Ziras Fields?" Confidence scared them, I was not afraid.
"Why do you want to get to the fields?" The growl one said, well roared.
"If I told you I would have to kill you . . . that could work," I grinned.
"How dare you speak to me like that!" he roared, again. I took the bow off my shoulder and aimed an arrow straight at him. His face grew pale with the thought of death.
"Or what Shemen?" I dared him.
"Both of you calm down," the other one yelled. His yell silenced all, even the drunks stumbling from tavern to tavern. I put my arrow away and slung my bow back over my shoulder.

"She is just an elf, kill her already," The calm one gave him a diserning look, they had already had a violent encounter today, that was apparent.
"Just an Elf?!" I yelled, "Could an ordinary Elf do this?" I focused all my mind on the ground. Cracks split all around there feet and dropped slightly. My heart started to beat faster and faster, messing with the grounds surface was tiring. I alligned the plates seeing their faces fill with relief. I then just stood there and waited for someone to do something.
'I have loved to the point of madness, which for me is the only true way to love'
~Francoise Sagan

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:33 am
Vampyre says...

Arodeth Lothwen

Whipping out the ever-ready knife strapped to my right wrist, I stopped dead as the ground shuddered and cracked under my feet. I spread my weight out carefully, glancing around for the cause of the rifts in the earth. A voice yelling unintelligibly caught my attention, and I sprinted forward to see two men - one on horseback - a Zanam male and an elf. It was she who was moving the plates under my feet, and as I watched, she smoothed the cracks over, glaring disdainfully at the others.

They looked like they were on their way to the Fields, as people rarely travelled in groups around here unless they were on their way to a gathering. I slid my knife back into its sheath - half-smiling at the sweet shhwipp of metal against leather - as I debated about whether to reveal myself to the group. Out of personal preference and the habits of an assassin, I wanted to follow them, not letting them see me. My more practical side, however, suggested that travelling in a group would be more beneficial in my quest. I would likely need help to find the legendary Ruby, and where better to meet my companions than now?

Struggling a little against my misgivings, I strode forward to meet the group.
"Excuse me, but are you looking for the Fields?"
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:31 pm
Ladyofthedeathroses says...

Raksha Jezebel
I walked to the Ziaris fields my longsword in it's sheath by my left hip, my leather knapsack slung over my shoulder, and Rayven by my side anyone who saw me would think nothing of it just a girl out for a walk no one except for a few people knew that I was on the quest for the Ruby. I pulled up the hood of my cloak humming under my breath an old lullaby mother used to sing to me when I was little. I was still humming when I reached the fields I scanned around the field keeping a hand resting lightly on the hilt of my longsword. I found a rather large group of people two of which seemed to be in some sort of a disagreement. I walked towards the group Rayven a few steps ahead of me eager to know what was going on. I whistled sharply and he ran to me and I scratched him behind his ears. We walked the rest of the way to the group both of us. We reached the group and I said politely "Hello it's nice to meet you I'm Raksha Jezebel but please call me Demon." They turned towards me and I felt self concious but I smiled sweetly.
"You are without a doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of."

"But you have heard of me."

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:40 pm
View Likes
Shearwater says...

Vonual S'haara

My feet maneuvered skillfully through the forest trees and before I knew it, I was clear of the forest path. The vastness of Ziras field was a sight to take in, even in the dark. The crisp air made its way into my lungs, refreshing the burning sensation that the long run had given me. As I approached the middle of the field, there were already a few figures sitting quietly. One of them was a girl, she pointed in the direction of a cloud that seemed to mold an image of a running rabbit. The other man sitting in front of her didn't turn his head but kept...meditating? He looked rather odd.

I didn't say anything, I let them do their own thing - whatever it was. Instead, I found a spot on the cool grass and rested my aching limbs. Father had told me to bring a horse down but I didn't want to waste any money buying one. We had sold all our horses for some time-buying medication for my brother and I wasn't going to reach my hand into that jar for my own convenience.

With a sigh, I closed my eyes and by the time I opened them back up there were a few more travelers on the field, all standing and waiting with bags and swords at their side. I leaned back, observing their muddy shoes. A chill ran down my spine. Could they not clean that glop of mud? It's not too much to ask... Shaking my head, I turned my attention to my own feet, my shoes had leaves and some dirt sticking out at the corners. Quickly, I picked up a stick and began picking at my shoes.

"Ew, so disgusting!"
Last edited by Shearwater on Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

191 Reviews

Reviews: 191
Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:52 pm
carbonCore says...

Csel

A drylander.

"Does it?" I said quietly. No need for shouting when no one else is around, such labour is offensive to the ear. Clouds are water and air, thus twice the enemy. Hence the hood. I didn't want to look at them any more than I had to. Cursed water. Cursed air.

I turned to face the new arrival. Such an indifferent stance. Such an indifferent weapon. Does it wish to be a spear, or a sword? It does not care, then. At home, he would surely be thrown to the water beasts for his irreverence.

There also hung an uncertain spiritual aura about him, but whether it was an enchanted trinket or some drylander magic, I didn't know. I didn't mind much. Yet.

"Hrm," I said, and stood up. The firewater poison had vanished completely from my head, so I did not wobble. Maybe it were the reason why Mother Earth did not speak to me in my meditations. Maybe the sacred mother did not hear my calls from this drylander place.

That would be a rather bad thing.
_

147 Reviews

Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:05 pm
View Likes
Tigersprite says...

Aikan Dursil

What was happening? All I wanted to do was get to the Ziras Fields on time to meet with Laridail and participate in the Hunt, and now I'd met these people.

I heard footsteps approaching us (more?) and a girl's voice said, "Excuse me, but are you looking for the Fields?"

I spun around, we all did. An Elf girl stood in front of me, looking at us curiously.

"Well, we're headed there," I replied. "At least we're supposed to be." I gave Zelvna a meaningful look, and Xavier too.

"Can I accompany you?" she asked. "My name is Arodeth."

"Of course--"

"Not another Elf!" Pastas cried. "By the gods, haven't we more than enough of those?"

"Watch your mouth, Shemen," Zelvna replied him, and I could see the situation was getting out of control again. Xavier noticed too, he looked quite amused. But then he saw me looking at him, and for the briefest second his eyes were full of suspicion. And then the look was gone and he was no longer looking in my direction.

Pastas and Zelvna's renewed argument got quite loud, to the point where Kadum opened his jaw and let loose a great screech, so loud it was that all fell silent.

"Let's calm down," I said in the quiet. "Are we not all head to the Ziras Fields?"

Pastas acknowledged the question by inclining his head, Zelvna nodded stiffly and Xavier said, "Perhaps."

"Then we can go together, can't we?" Arodeth said quietly. "It would make sense. And it would look slightly less suspicious to the gate guards were we in a party rather than on our own."

"But--" Pastas tried to say before I cut him off.

"We're only getting there, Captain Pastas. When we arrive you may go off as you like, and not have to interact with the Elves at all."

"Fine by me," he said, already trotting ahead. I turned back to Arodeth.

"This," I said, jerking my head at Xavier, "is Xavier. And that," and here I pointed to Zelvna, who had begun to walk as well, her silver hair seeming to shine in the darkness, "is Zelvna. I am Aikan Dursil."

"Thank you," Arodeth said, smiling. The smile though, did not quite reach her eyes, and I wondered if there was something she was hiding. But perhaps I was being paranoid.

"Did anyone ever tell you that you have a beautiful smile, Arodeth," Xavier said from surprisingly close to us. Arodeth turned to him, but there wasn't a trace of a blush on her face.

"No?" Xavier continued. "Well, you do. But then again, that's most probably not the only beautiful part of your body...if you know what I mean."

Arodeth looked at him oddly. "...Thank you, I suppose." She turned and followed the others. Very polite, she seemed to be. I looked at Xavier.

"What was that for?" I asked him.

"What? She's a beautiful girl."

"You haven't known her for five minutes."

"But I could get to know her very well," he said, giving me a sly grin. I sighed and ran ahead. It occurred to me that the others probably didn't know where they were headed. Most probably, Zelvna and Pastas had stalked off in their anger at each other, and poor Arodeth followed thinking they actually knew where they were going. I would help them get to the Ziras Fields and then...and then I didn't know. It depended on Laridail.
"A superman ... is, on account of certain superior qualities inherent in him, exempted from the ordinary laws which govern men. He is not liable for anything he may do."
Nathan Leopold

319 Reviews

Reviews: 319
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:39 am
Jashael says...

I was meant to post this two days ago, but unfortunately, and obviously, I wasn't able to do so. Please understand why this seems so late. (Well, my character is late. LOL) At least I'm part of the group two.

An yeah, my head hurt when I typed this, my head still hurts right now. O_o So, Tiger, if this has any problem, feel free to PM me. I just have this feeling that you kinda--well, not hate--just NOT like my writing. (LOL)Thanks!

And oh yeah, WARNING: It's kind of long... =) I was so excited for this (first real SB post! yay...), so I guess, I typed too much?! XD PM me if this is too long...Well, I tried cutting it. XD At least...

Avighal Ya'sheal

Chilly gusts of wind hummed through the trees, making soft rustles that complemented the sharp sound my violin produced. My ears danced upon hearing the symphony of Nature and my playing. My eyes involuntarily closed as my heart delighted in the melancholic melody. But my mind knew better, and even when there was nothing apparent to be terrified of—at least, as of now—knowledge screamed at my inner being, warning my soul not to be so gullible, making my heart pound as if a beast would devour me soon.

“Avi!” a voice exclaimed.

I then lost my concentration and my finger slid on the fret board, distorting the note. I hastily opened my eyes in panic as I froze.

It took me about five seconds to realize that it was my mother who was calling me. I calmed and felt stupid. How could a person who was not deaf and had been with her mother for more than sixteen years forget her own mother’s voice even just for a second? I thought it was impossible; but my slow recognition just proved that I was wrong. There was something that could make a person think twice who had called her in a dark, cold early morning even if the voice was completely familiar: it was fear.

I managed to produce voice after awhile and answered, “Coming!”

Slowly lowering my violin and bow, each on either hand, I looked up and saw the thin, purple-gray clouds which filtered the moonlight. The sun had not yet risen (I guessed it was only four in the morning), so the trees and the mountains were all black forms. The pond was glistening under the moonlight though, as well as the grass and flowers, which, because the stars were hidden by the clouds, made the land look exactly like the night sky. It was as if the stars were sprinkled down on the ground from the heavens.

I will miss this… This was the view from the back of our house. Since our house was located at the edge of the city, there were no streets or houses at the back-scene, only nature.

I sighed as I bent down to put my violin back in its casing. After taking a deep breath, I wrapped my shawl around my ears, went my way around the house and entered.

“What were you doing so early outside?” Mother interrogated. She was in the kitchen (the same room which acted as the guest room also) when I got inside, and she was cooking breakfast. “We’ll have plenty of time to get you to Ziras, so don’t worry too much about traveling.”

“I just wanted to practice,” I answered swiftly, making my way around the table. There were a couple of chairs, always had been: one was for me, the other for Mother. I sat and set the violin casing underneath the oak table.

"I even think I'm supposed to be there right now."

"Nonsense. There's no reason to set on a journey in the middle of the night."

I looked around. It wasn’t hard to notice that our house wasn’t big. Not at all. It had this little room where Mother cooked, where we ate, where we received guests (my aunt and cousins), where Mother would read to me my father’s poems, and pretty much everything. But we didn't sleep here. There were two more rooms upstairs, even smaller rooms: my bedroom and Mother’s. My mother and I had lived in this particular house in this particular city for as long as I could remember.

Mother was an elf. Her skin was pale and she was everything that an elf from the North would and should look like. I’d inherited her looks: blue, bright eyes and black curls. And it was never hard to pretend that I was an elf myself. But I was not one.

I was a Zanam--half human, half elf; and everyone knew what was destined for Zanams. Every Zanam born in this city would be ostracized from the elves and humans when he or she turned fifteen.

I was already sixteen, almost seventeen actually, and my case was a rare one. No, the elves and humans did not take pity on me. The only reason I had continued to live in the city was because my mother and I lied about my being. I’d been happy, I guessed. If I had to leave the city, there’d be heaps of changes. And I hated changes.

So why did I decide to go and find the Ruby? I had to remind myself.

“Your playing was too gloomy, dear,” Mother said, taking out a big, bowl and setting it beside the blue fire. “You seem too bothered.”

I only smiled back.

“You do not have to do this,” she continued.

“I don’t wanna hear that,” I said impetuously. “I’ve sworn my life to this quest.”

“But you can stay. As I told you, I won’t let them take you.” Mother’s voice was calm, contrasting with mine, which was tense.

“And forever live in deceit?” I retorted.

“You don’t have to lie about your identity.”

“So you think they’ll leave me be after they know that I’m a Zanam?” I shouted, standing up from my seat. I knew the powerful elves and the humans well. They did not like Zanams and they were utterly dogmatic about it. “Do you not remember, Mother, that the only reason I’d gotten to stay was because I lied to Prince Duma?”

“You did not need him.”

I sat down and quietly snorted. “He even made you a little favor of helping me by paying me five gold pieces a week just by playing in the castle.”

Inadvertently helped. If he knew you were a Zanam, do you think he’d helped?” Mother mumbled. “And now, you’re about to risk your life to find the Ruby to gain respect. Say where is he now?” Mother asked.

“He’s out in another kingdom,” I replied, answering her question literally.

I thought it was brilliant, but Mother only laughed mockingly.

“He’s probably managing trades or things alike,” I said, knowing that mother was thinking something atrocious against Prince Duma—again.

“Avi, he’s visiting one of his concubines.”

My face reddened, partly because Mother was probably right, mostly because I was too foolish to be infatuated with that royal elf.

“How can you even tell?” I resumed, trying to sound like what Mother had said was not in the least plausible.

Facing me, Mother raised an eyebrow. “An elf must use his or her magic once in awhile now. I don’t wanna lose my skill in reading minds. Now tell me”—she turned around and continued to stir—“how can you ever dream of being his princess?”

I silently and deliberately bumped my head on the table. How could she? It was so unfair. Besides, I was still finding out how to be not stupid. She was clearly violating my right of privacy, if I had my rights as a Zanam.

I crossed my arms and rested back, giving out a sigh. Mother set a couple of plates and turned around again.

“You’re always against me,” I said.

Mother faced me and set cups on the table. Her mouth was straight as well as her brows, and her nose looked as if it was wrung. That, I was sure, was her serious face.

“No, I’m not. I was never against your going in a quest to find the Ruby,” she said as I felt guilt sting my conscience. Mother sat beside me. “Especially when you have a righteous goal: to bring equality among all intelligent creatures.” She stared for a minute. “It’s just you. You know you’re not ready.”

I remained silent as Mother continued to cook. I stood up and craned outside the window opposite of where Mother was standing. Tears crawled down my cheeks. She was right. I did feel like I was too young and I was forcing myself. I didn’t even believe in myself.

I wiped my cheeks with my shawl. The quest should sound like a fun journey, not a duty.

“Avi,” Mother called, “have your breakfast. We will be on our way before the sun rises.”

I turned around and sweetly smiled at her. Sitting down, I watched her set down a bowl of soup. By the smell I could tell that it was her special soup made of lamb meat and kang leaves with a pinch of a rare spice called Tashi.

“You’re not going to taste my soup for some time,” Mother said. Her nose reddened and I knew she was stopping herself from crying.

I forced a smile as she poured some soup into my bowl. Though I already knew I would not be able to enjoy it because all that was in my mind was the unknown journey ahead of me, I still pretended to.

After breakfast, Mother fed our horse, Tabby, and told me to prepare. My things were already prepared, if I could only tell her, I myself could never be.

“Avi!” Mother called. I ran outside with my bag and saw her grooming Tabby’s hair. “Oh no,” she mumbled, taking the bag away from me. She pushed me inside the house and started to fix my hair.

I held a mirror and watched her stroke me with a brush. My hair was divided in half, and then it was loosely bundled on either side. “Keep it always that way,” she said. “Summer is coming and you cannot keep your shawl around your neck to hide your ears anymore.”

I nodded.

Mother took my violin casing and my bag, and then we both went outside. She stepped up on Tabby and helped me with my things. After we made sure everything was secured on the horse, we started for the Ziran Fields.

The wind was deafening and the sun was about to start to rise. I watched the places we passed by, trying to remember them all for memories. One of my hands gripped Mother’s shoulder, the other the strap of my violin casing. Tabby was young and still strong, so he freely ran through the winding roads.

The trip was not long, and when we reached the fields, I started to feel numb. It was as if I couldn’t care anymore whatever would happen to me. What a child, was I not? I mocked myself by quietly laughing.

Looking about, I jumped off Tabby. The only thing that I could tell was there were a lot of creatures—elves, humans, even Zanams. I didn’t know what was happening, but I couldn’t absorb anything at that moment.

I looked back at Mother as I fixed my violin casing and my bag, which were heavy and made me regret bringing so much. She had slowly stepped down, then cried, dragging me into a hug. “Please be safe,” she whispered. I pulled away, tried to smile at her and nodded. Mother brightly grinned at me, not even showing a hint of pessimism. “Promise me that I’ll be the one to see the Ruby first when you get it.”

A smile crawled up my lips. At least someone believed in me.

Before I turned around, she called me again. “Avi!” I faced her. She was already on Tabby. “Try to find true love…” She grinned.

I chuckled. “Yes, Mother.” Turning around, I slowly paced up to the gate. This was it. And there was absolutely no turning back.

I walked to the gate, looking at the dusty ground.

"You...what's your name?" a male voice asked.

I looked up and saw an elf talk to me. Beside him were another elf, two Zanams, and two humans. Somehow I felt as if I had missed so many things.

I stared for a minute, trying to feel if my hair was still as Mother had fixed it. It was.

"A--Avighal," I stammered. "Avighal Ya'sheal."

NOTE: Avi's late, and in this part, the first group has already been gone. (The creatures that she's seen are those who are in group two.) So I guess I won't be posting until this part (time) have been reached. I'll be reading till then. =)) ...and waiting. =))

P.S. I hope someone will, like, update her or somewhat like that. =) Thanks a ton. I expect that my character will be brought up in the story smoothly.
“I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen:
not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.”

—C.S. LEWIS

My SPOTIFY page
Facebook
Got a life?

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:55 am
View Likes
Vampyre says...

Arodeth Lothwen

"Thank you, I suppose..." I trailed off, turning away from Xavier perhaps a little sooner than was polite. My arms crossed over my chest as I fumed inside my head at his creeping, distasteful familiarity. My disgust was increased by the mutters I heard from behind me as I stalked after the others who'd already started walking.

"...could get to know her very well..." I could imagine his face, a leer that would make my skin crawl to see it. He would not ever get close to knowing me, nor would I give him any indication of interest that he could take as a signal to come near me again.

Muttering to myself about disrespect, I almost missed the sudden blinking of a reflected light. I froze, glancing out of the corner of my eye at the people around me. They hadn't seemed to notice anything. I nodded subtly to what everyone else had missed; a petite elf crouching off the side of the path. Taking a few coins out of the pouch at my waist, I scattered them on the ground before lengthening my stride to catch up with Aikan.
"Excuse me, Aikan? I just dropped a few coins," I said, pointing, "so I'll catch you up. By the way, you're all taking the long route. Follow the path through there."

I pointed again, this time to a worn track I knew well.
"It cuts straight through the tracks, the Fields are about a quarter mile if you take that way."

I smiled as he thanked me, then walked back to the coins, making a show of picking them up. When I was sure that the party had followed the track out of sight, I shoved the coins away and hurriedly ran to greet the elf, whom I knew as Zanas.

"Why are you following me?" I hissed. "You know I'm out of business for the foreseeable future. I told your master that two weeks ago, Zanas."
The tiny elf looked up at me, apologetic.
"M-master Sern would l-like to request of, of you one m-m-more last favour," she squeaked, her stutter more pronounced as her jumbled words spilled out quickly in her apprehension.
"He will p-p-pay beforehand, and it-it's just one. An easy target, an e-elf by the n-name of Stre-Strenva Le'Kae. H-he-he's on the way to the Fields and means to parti-ticipate in the quest f-for the Ruby. Master Sern can't aff-afford for him to leave the F-Fields."

I sighed. Sern was the one of my clients who required my services most often. I knew hardly anything about him, but the man had enemies. Part of me wanted to refuse, but people "refusing Sern" was the reason I was so often hired.
Against my better judgement, I nodded, holding my hand out for the fat coin-pouch Zanas handed me. Judging by the weight, it was a significant deal.

"Tell your master the job will be finished with usual efficiency."
Zanas bowed, marking the end of the transaction. I inclined my head in acknowledgement, turning away and quickly picking up my pace as I followed the party of travellers toward the Fields.
That night she drew her swan breath in a bed
Made soft with all her razor blades,
That kissed her wrists with the romance you lacked.
As the hands that you’d kissed now dealt the trades

147 Reviews

Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:13 pm
Tigersprite says...

Laridail--The Ziras Fields

There was a rather large crowd on the grassy plains when Laridail and Lurin arrived. Lanterns had been lit here and there, and it was clear that there were Elven Magic-Users about using their Push Magic, possibly even a few Zurinians. It seemed the promise of finding the Ruby had brought all sorts together.

Lurin rode his horse to the summit of a small hill, beckoning to Laridail.

"Lord," Lurin said to him as he approached the summit, "shall I obtain their attention?" Laridail nodded. The Hunt needed to start.

Lurin held his fist high in the air, and a ball of flame shot from it into the sky, shortly followed by another. The hubbub of voices died down, and it seemed to Laridail that people people began to move towards he and his companion. Shouts broke the brief silence with: "Is that the Prince?" and "The Hunt! The Hunt begins!"

When people began to ascend the hill, Lurin shot small balls of fire towards them in warning. In the brief bursts of light, Laridail looked about him, and to his surprise, noticed several figures standing on a hill not so far away.

"Are you ready to talk to them, my Lord?" Lurin asked him.

"Hold on," Laridail replied him. "Who are they, those people over there?"

"Shall I summon them for you, my Lord?"

"Please." Lurin rode off, while I turned to the crowd. All was quiet, and I could see all the faces turned towards me.

"I thank you all for coming to these fields this late eve. It says much about all of you, that you will risk your lives and put aside your differences to find the precious Ruby. For it is time for the treasure to finally be found.

"As you all know, the Ruby was stolen 107 years ago today. Some say it was stolen by Humans--"

"Of course the Humans stole it!" someone cried. "It's always those filthy--"

"Silence," Laridail interrupted. "That you might interrupt me to express your vehemence shows that you have very little understanding of why we are here at all. Humans did not steal the Ruby."

"Then you Elves did it," another shouted.

"Silence!" Lurin roared, and Laridail started slightly; he had not noticed his companion's return.

Did you summon them? Laridail asked him through Scribing, the single magic skill of his he had developed. Elements and the other Aura magic skills did not interest him.

Lurin nodded stiffly in reply.

"I hope," Laridail continued, "that none else wish to make foolish, uneducated comments. If that is your only purpose in coming here, please make your leave." It was only a trickle, but Laridail thought he saw some people of the crowd walk away. It was difficult to ascertain in the dim light of the moon though.

"And know let me share with you what I have found that has caused me to call you all here. As I have said, the Ruby was stolen 107 years ago. Many ponder where it disappeared to, and though there have been many ideas, no true suspects were ever found. That was, of course, until very recently."

"And what new suspects be these?" said a young man striding through the crowd, an party of people accompanying him. "107 years, and it is only now that new suspects are to be found?"

"Do not talk to our Lord in such a manner, commoner," Lurin growled. He would have said more, but Laridail held up his hand to silence him. He thought he recognized the speaker. The pale face for a Human, the high cheekbones...Was it possible?

"These suspects are new, I assure you," he said in reply. "Isani Tukar, an Elf who lived not too far from the castle, and Leila Runis, a lowly human servant girl in the castle. Until recently, I myself was not aware of their existence. Isani was a powerful magic-user, and he had tampered with the memory of all the servants and castle officials who had crossed paths with him and Leila."

"If their memories were tampered with, how is it you know of these suspects?"

"Because Leila was a young girl, and also an aspiring scribe." He paused, and he heard whisperings amongst the crowd, no doubt they were wondering what it is he meant.

"The girl kept a personal journal, where she talked of her life, where she wrote poems. In this book, she also writes of Isani...and of her fascination with the Ruby. I found the journal, hidden and dusty, in the deepest recesses of the castle library. I can only imagine that they left it behind in their escape."

"Escape?"

"Yes...Aikan. In their escape." I watched a smile stretch across my old friend's face. "For the evidence I have accumulate suggests that Isani Tukar and Leila Runis stole the Ruby. Runis' father was the crown cleaner, but was recently fired--the reason for this is unknown. But from the vein of her writings she was angered by this decision, angered enough for vengeance."

"And you think, my Lord," an Elf girl at the front spoke, "that this is basis enough for her to have stolen the Ruby? It does not seem to be sufficient motive."

"I have lived in the castle all my life," Laridail replied. "To my shame, I have seen how the servants, especially the Humans, are treated. Like filth. Like scum on my boots. Runis cleaned the cellars, getting the poorly paying job only because of her father's position. When he was fired, she herself was asked to leave. Imagine her frustration: hatred everywhere, poverty on the horizon. It didn't help that her father passed away in his sleep soon after he was fired. The Ruby was a means of revenge, a means of hope also.

"Copies of Immigration Records from 107 years ago today--the originals are missing, presumable the work of the pair--show that Tukar and Runis left the city half an hour before the gates were closed upon discovery of the theft. They then travelled to Gaja, and then to Turjin. They then travelled to Murdi.

"The mission is this simple: retrace the footsteps of Isani Tukar and Leila Runis to discover where the Ruby went. True, I have not yet found their path past Murdi. My hope is that by the time you reach it, I would have. Take the news as you like, and those who are not pleased may leave, but in any case I hope that at least one party would leave tonight."
Last edited by Tigersprite on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan Leopold

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 pm
Sins says...

Xavier ap Ganthi

"To my shame, I have seen how the servants, especially the Humans, are treated. Like filth. Like scum on my boots. Runis cleaned the cellars, getting the poorly paying job only because of her father's position. When he was fired... Blah, blah, blah."

I crossed my arms, sighing as I drifted my mind out of what the Prince, or whoever he was, was saying. There were two men; I wasn't sure which one was the Prince. It was too dark to tell. I didn't give that much care towards it either. I wasn't bothered about the Ruby at all. If someone stole it, they stole it. My mind was elsewhere when it came to this trip, something far more important than some shiny rock.

Aikan had asked about and commented on a couple of things. He came across as a good man, I had to admit. I kept my eyes on him as he watched the Prince and his companion, nodding occasionally. Perhaps I could have made friends with him? In fact, none of these people appeared to be as bad as I thought they would be. Maybe I could make a few friends...? I mentally kicked myself, biting the tip of my tongue. No. You know the rules. No friends. I shook my head, and removed the thoughts from my mind.

The Prince continued speaking as the crisp air around me bit at my bare body parts. Until now, I hadn't realised that I was shaking, the hairs on my arms standing up. I was wearing nothing but a rag; what did I expect? My head felt as though it was pulsating, and it was soon accompanied by my stomach making a bizarre noise, begging me for some kind of food.

I hadn't eaten anything in three days or so, not properly. I'd eaten a loaf of bread yesterday that I stole from a human's shopping bag, but I only managed to eat half of it. I stupidly gave the other half to a young zanam child. I certainly regretted that now. I'd lost consciousness due to lack of food before, and I was confident for it not to happen again.

My stomach growled once more as I shut my eyes. The Prince's voice was like a soft murmur now in the back of my mind as my head throbbed more strongly now. I opened my eyes again. The second I did so, my gaze was locked onto a pretty girl a few yards away; another Zanam, I believed. She was wiping her clothes, picking at her shoes. There was a frown on her face as she looked at the muddy ground, glancing at the Prince now and then. Beside her was a small bag, brimming with what looked like, and what I hoped, was food. I grinned.

"I shall be back now," I whispered to the elf I'd previously had a... disagreement with. "I'm sure you shall miss me." I winked at her.

Slipping into the shadows, I carefully made my way towards the female Zanam who was still in the process of cleaning her shoes. With years of practice, it was not a challenge for me to do so unnoticed. My stomach growled and my head throbbed. Keeping my eyes on the girl, I stood amongst a small group which were merely yards away from her. With everyone focused on the prince, it was easy to slide my hand towards the bag. I suddenly grabbed the bag, giving the girl no time to notice. She was muttering to herself about the ghastly and disgusting mud or something of that sort.

I reached into the bag, returning into the shadows. My heart leapt in happiness when I came upon a good amount of food. There was even some water. I took the container that held the water and lifted it up to my mouth. As the liquid raced down my throat, my whole body relaxed. As long as I ate some of this food, I could confidently say that I would not pass out within the next ten minutes.

"Hey!"

Spinning around, I saw the female Zanam again, and this time, she wasn't concentrated on the dirty ground or the Prince. Her eyes were on me. She glanced at the bag - her bag, in my hand. I swallowed hard.
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest