z

Young Writers Society

The Fifth Academy For Heroes In Training [DT]

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:34 am
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Lumi Seems legit. Team B did went YOLO mode and then found a plan later, so the judges probably didn't like that start. I'm okay with that personally.

...Huh. I didn't think about that. I need to find an actual power-down for him.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

Let's see... I THINK I figured something out. Here goes.

Evoltrick needs to switch G-Orb in order to use another G-Orb and absorb the Skill inside it. So... Although he doesn't really lose much energy when the skill's absorbed (because it becomes a natural weaker version of the original stuff, as said in profile), the absorption itself would put a huge strain on his body, since he needs to adapt himself to the new power every time.
Doing so, each time Evoltrick absorbs a new power (in order to use it), he needs to face an energy loss. The bigger the power is, the bigger is the energy loss (example: attempting to use a full-powered Mega Ice Disgaea magic spell would destroy him before he can even cast it, while water-bending wouldn't be so demanding for him).

So far (and you're totally right, I forgot about it), nothing really prevented him from switching powers here and there to make devastating combos without anything restraining him, even with the "less-powers" policy.
But!
If he loses physical/mental endurance each time he has to switch, he'd be in the Academy to have overall more control over everything, and therefore minimize the energy loss he'd have. He'd also be here to gain more physical/mental control over himself (he's kinda crazy if it wasn't obvious enough), which would allow him to control his powers even more and, as said earlier, minimize energy loss each time he switches.

To put it a bit more simply (I tend to complicate things a lot), you're in a Pokemon match, and Evoltrick is a Smeargle with Sketch, 3 other moves and a Life Orb. Each time he uses an attack (G-Orb Switch), he loses Life Points (stamina) due to Life Orb effect (life orb = his own powers).

What do you think of that? Is this an actual good way to power him down?
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:35 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Finally caught up! Will post for Kat soonish~
Got YWS?

40 Reviews

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:16 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Lauren2010 Oh darn, completely missed your demand :O Sorry for that. Next time someone asks for a summary of events I'll try to update the person ASAP.

Can't wait for Kat's return!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

541 Reviews

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:34 pm
Lauren2010 says...

@Tortwag no worries! I'm not caught up at all on DT stuff so if anything major is in the works that vaguely involves Kat I wouldn't mind be caught up. Other than that, I'll fumble around as well as I usually do xD
Got YWS?

40 Reviews

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:37 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Lauren2010 Fair enough.
And as far as I know she's been leading team A but hasn't been caught up in the discussions, because, well, you weren't there. You should be fine though, catching up with DT is easier than with the SB I believe.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:20 pm
Bloo says...

Tortwag, you're over complicating things.

Just tone down the level of his control, and the abundance of what he can do in general. Figure out one, or a few, solid weaknesses that he would have in a fight, and personality flaws that would carry over into battles.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

40 Reviews

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@SuperNintendo Thought so. Darn.
I'll explain the idea in a simplified manner, now that I have it in mind.
-Evoltrick loses energy each time he switches power. Dot. And that also implies that the more he switches, the less control he has over himself and the powers he uses. And he can't really use lots and lots of powers if he loses his strength each time he attempts to do so, right? This may fix the abundance problem.

-As for the control part, He already depends on his staff to control the G-Golems, which creates a major weakness: take the staff away and he can only fight with barely controllable creatures.

-Wait, Didn't I show his personality flaws in battle already against Scirocco? Or... It wasn't precise enough?

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:56 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

The rock you're leaning against for your power limitations is energy, which we can't measure unless everyone using Evoltrick commits to watching an energy bar, which won't happen. So I'm going to take a page out of KILL la KILL's book and suggest that Evoltrick relies on blood sharing with his G-Orbs and Golems and everything he uses, hence reinforcing the equivalent exchange principle he supposedly picked up from Evatt. In order for Evoltrick to properly activate his G-Orbs, he must supply it with blood to activate. Thus, if a battle goes on too long or if he gets too cocky and ambitious, he'll faint from blood loss.

And no, there's no way for him to gain the blood back. There's no recovery rate until well after combat. That should put your limitations into perspective perfectly.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:07 pm
View Likes
Bloo says...

Tortwag wrote:-As for the control part, He already depends on his staff to control the G-Golems, which creates a major weakness: take the staff away and he can only fight with barely controllable creatures.

Then the staff negates his weakness, because if he consistently has his staff it means nothing. I can say a character is weak because he can't see well, but if he is always wearing glasses that is a mute point. Sure he might lose/break his glasses, but having that be something that happens very often is a cheap ploy in the long run, and something that the character would logically look into fixing.

Tortwag wrote:-Wait, Didn't I show his personality flaws in battle already against Scirocco? Or... It wasn't precise enough?

We're having a giant conversation about how Evoltrick needs to be depowered because of his performance during Scirocco. That means whatever weaknesses/flaws he had were not enough/not prominent enough to balance out his powers.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

40 Reviews

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:54 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Lumi ...Oh, yeah! I didn't think about blood.
Uh, but I wasn't going to suggest anything about regaining his blood back, can't really do that. I guess eating/resting would allow him to regain some strength, but that's about it really. Like... He can't eat a cheeseburger in battle.
As for the blood sharing idea, sounds reliable enough to me! Much less vague than energy, too. Thanks!
"everything he uses" <-- That doesn't include normal weapons, right? Heavily modified, yes, but normal still.
"Faint from blood loss." <-- Yup, that'll teach him not to switch powers too often alright. All the more reasons for him to keep the G-Orb Limitation policy up, too. Again, thanks.

@SuperNintendo
Well, first off, he needs to actually USE his staff (which he didn't oftenly did so far). Second, he needs to pull it out and actually concentrate to manipulate golems and fight alongside them. Enemy's not gonna just stand there and look at him while he does that, and that's another flaw if he needs to use his Golems.

...Oh. Yeah. Never mind that.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:27 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

So. Anyone have spitballs for their small stories for the remainder of the issue? It doesn't have to involve anyone else if you don't want. But I'd love to see what you all have cooking in your heads--maybe I can help. c:
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:03 am
View Likes
cheeb says...

Dang it, notification system. If you're not going to tell me someone's posted in this then what good are you?

The only plot idea I had was a really tiny comic relief-type one, when I was rereading the character profiles. @AriaAdams am I right in my understanding that whatever happens to Gareth's portrait happens to human Gareth as well? Because I'm pretty sure if Bea found it, the first thing she would do, especially if she was still wasted on Baconade, would be to draw a moustache on it. Would that cause man-Gareth to have this mark on his face that just won't come off until he takes an eraser to the portrait? :P
the user formerly known as chibibo

40 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:27 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@chibibo I believe you spoke for everyone when you said that. Seriously XD

@Lumi you asked for it! And if you think you can help, be our guest, your suggestions have only helped us all so far anyways I think.
I personally have at least 2 events in mind:
-one would be showing off Evoltrick's wackiness and quick learning process through several Fire Bending fights against L in Link's training lessons, and also show his complete lack of fear (and reasons for it) when/if he loses, much to L's surprise (because Evo's not gonna win all the time now will he?);
-another (and main) thing would be Evoltrick being totally obsessed with the question he asked to himself last time ("...What is my goal...?"), and eventually finding what he wants to do in life with his powers. I am currently planning that scene, and... God it's gonna be sick. After that he's gonna be a bit of a jester and eventually organize some... uh... Sub-activities.

Oh and since he's going to eat quite a bit more (because blood loss), he might encounter Bea a few times and attempt not to chat with her (because guilt), which of course will fail.

541 Reviews

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:23 pm
Lauren2010 says...

Katarina is probably going to seek some unhelpful advice from Bri Stark, and then go for a visit back home to play some video games with Uncle Hawkeye and receive some slightly less unhelpful advice~
Got YWS?

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:29 pm
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Hmm. For now, anyway, Raven is trying to hide her powers. She's okay with using the ones she got from her dad in a fight (the explode objects powers) but the few times she's used the ones from her mom (the absorb memories + powers and knock people out) it hasn't gone well and it's usually been one of her "accidentally helping supervillains" events. Of course, it's fairly obvious that she has a touch based superpower to everyone, what with the clothes on every inch of her body and taking off the gloves in a fight...

She also has to catch up on the work she missed. If Gareth and Jasper want, all three of them could have a late night study session on the weekend where everyone's out of town and something could go wrong? Or secrets could be revealed:)
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

Mr. Scorpio says productivity is up 2%, and it's all because of my motivational techniques -- like donuts and the possibility of more donuts to come.
— Homer Simpson