z

Young Writers Society

The Fifth Academy For Heroes In Training [DT]

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:29 am
View Likes
cheeb says...

I'm gonna go ahead and post in here since it's been nearly two weeks since the main thread saw any activity. Also I'm kinda bored and thought this would be a reasonably productive use of my time. And also
Spoiler! :
because it's 4 in the morning and I'm coughing too much to sleep because my house is being renovated and I'm living at a neighbour's for a while as a result and I just can't seem to adjust to this guest bed and I feel kinda bad for complaining like this since the neighbour in question is a really good guy although I suppose he'll never see this anyway and also now it's about 31 hours later and I brought a pillow from home and I can sleep now so yay.

(I spoilered that because it's just me being a whiner. You can skip it, it's not relevant.)

Anyway. I feel like I'm the last person who has the right to come in here rallying people to post, seeing as I've not spent a huge amount of time collaborating in the DT and planning future events with people, and I apologise; my only excuse is "people terrify me". But I'm motivated, as I'm sure all of you are, by a desire to jumpstart this storybook out of its coma. So I hope this post doesn't come across as, like, angry or domineering or anything. As I said, I'm a little in need of preoccupation.

Last I checked, the Scirocco test had finished, people had had mixed reactions to its result, and the next mini-plot point was a "go home weekend", right? That seems to be where things got stuck. The following is a few suggestions that came to mind to try to facilitate both short-term revival and ongoing long-term interest.

• As far as I can tell, only Evoltrick has taken advantage of the free weekend (though I could be wrong), but I think he doesn't plan to narrate any of his activities. So if no one else wants to do anything with the weekend, maybe we could skip it and get into the stuff people were eagerly planning early on? Student council elections, the abolition of the term "tank", truth or dare, school dances, romances, no-pantses, etc.

• This storybook has an enormous cast, possibly one of the biggest in currently-active storybooks, and in my humble opinion it's kind of hard to keep track of one's own character's/characters' personality, powers, limitations, in addition to the same for about ten others all in the same post. I feel like dividing the groups further into, let's say, groups of 3-5, would enable each character to become more familiar with characters they share a lot of screentime with, and would also make it easier for writers to collaborate on a post with up to four other people rather than twelve people all trying to add to a discussion at once.
- (Unrelated to getting the SB unstuck, just plot-spitballs of my own) Perhaps, in-universe, characters would have to form the groups of their own accord and then apply in-person to Ms Prince/the Elite Four-like group? Perhaps each group would require an RA participant? Some groups could get rejected and have to re-apply with different members? Good way to properly irritate some characters, no? :p

• We should maybe set up one or more Google Docs for collaboration purposes?*
* I reread the post I made about not being able to log into kayfortnight's WFP, and thought I should clarify that I didn't intend for it to be a slam against her or anything, it was merely meant to be a somewhat humorous "well that didn't go exactly as I had planned" post. I'm still suggesting gDocs over WFP though, simply because, as that post pointed out, WFP seems to have some bugs that need ironing out.

Of course, if you dis/agree with any of this then leave a post about it. More important than getting universal approval is getting people talking about the storybook again.

And now it's a day after I started writing this post and I still have no way to wrap up this complete shambles. So uh… mazel tov?

EDIT: Oh hey, new page.
the user formerly known as chibibo

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:01 am
View Likes
kayfortnight says...

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened with that writerfeed pad, and I don't know enough about it to fiddle with it more.

As for the story weekend, I am trying to contact the other two "late arrivals" through PM to plan a characters' group study session that would go horribly wrong. I haven't got any response yet, though. My hope was that a villain might come to the school, knowing there'd be less teachers and students there for the weekend, and try to capture students who were still there for some nefarious plot or another. We could collaboratively decide whether the villain succeeded or not in the capture-if he/she did, maybe when the other characters came back they could help rescue them.

So, extending this idea to everyone else. Whaddya think? :D
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:09 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Have a Collab Doc that I'll also send through PM and link on the main posts in both the SB thread and the DT. Please follow the rules listed in the header of the first page.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

53 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:46 am
View Likes
cheeb says...

kayfortnight wrote:My hope was that a villain might come to the school, knowing there'd be less teachers and students there for the weekend, and try to capture students who were still there for some nefarious plot or another. We could collaboratively decide whether the villain succeeded or not in the capture-if he/she did, maybe when the other characters came back they could help rescue them.

This would fit pretty well with something I was thinking about after getting all nostalgic and rereading older Academy storybooks. There was a character in the second one called Nolan (written by @Octave) who kind of became one of the breakout characters of that incarnation. He started off as an outright villain but (from my perspective at least) started to drift into chaotic-neutral territory.

I was thinking perhaps he (as an NPC) visits the current Academy as an esteemed former student (graduate from the same year as the RA Zeke, ofc), maybe he's been invited to do a speech on the Monday following the holiday weekend about recovering from villainy or something. Then the kidnapping happens, Nolan is either revealed as the culprit and the fight is on, OR (this one I think would be more interesting) Nolan is innocent but acts as a red herring for the real kidnapper as everyone jumps to conclusions because of his past.

Having said all that, I'll understand if people who weren't part of previous Academies would prefer not to include yet another callback character since he won't have the same appeal to them.

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:03 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@chibibo I always laugh maniacally right next to a person who says "people terrify me" or "I think people can be scary". I dunno, just for the fun of it I guess.

-for the Weekend part, I actually would LOOOOVE to narrate what's happening in Evoltrick's side-story, but the problem is... If I do this I'll feel like I'd be over-writing and over-productive, which in my experience is a really bad thing in a group, no matter the size. Especially in my case, since I like writing. Plus @Lumi did tell me it wasn't really necessary, so I thought I'd stop for a second and wait for other people to post stuff. Since, y'know, Evo's gone already.

-Speaking of cast... @Lumi I...have been thinking of adding one character for a long time now, um, is it a problem if we have another newcomer? This weekend stuff is the perfect opportunity.
Aside that I believe grouping characters is a good idea, but it's so natural that It would've happened anyway. Just know that Evoltrick's the type of person who likes loneliness a lot (mostly 'cause used to it).

-Um, JUST TO BE SURE. What should we put on this google collab doc? I just wanna be sure not to post anything that comes to mind and then screw up someone by doing so.

- @kayfortnight That is... An extremely good idea. I like it. And Chibibo, I personally wouldn't mind having another former student returning. Won't have the same appeal? Whatever!
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?
And why did I spend my life savings on sunglasses for a whale?
I shall find the answers... to these questions."

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:28 am
View Likes
Auxiira says...

I can totally validate the laughing thingie. He's creepy :p *poofs*
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

53 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:43 am
cheeb says...

Tortwag wrote:I personally wouldn't mind having another former student returning. Won't have the same appeal? Whatever!

Haha, it's more that I view references like this as similar to private jokes, which some people might be annoyed by. But if people are cool with it, all the better!

I guess I should put some of that stuff into the collab doc, huh…

40 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:18 am
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Auxiira 'The heck are you... Oh, SB addict. Riiiiiight...
Hey, you can't blame me for having The Mask and the Joker as fictional idols! They're awesome :'(
...Wait a sec did she seriously came in just to... Come back here! *pulls out scythe* ~Friendship is maaaaaaaagic >:-D~ *chases and laughs*

@chibibo wicked Friendship and gratitudefromshowingmethewaytotheYWSsoIcanenjoymysweettimewithfellowritters aside, as long as private jokes aren't used all the time, again, whatever. But maybe that's just me...

Yeah, you should! I'd love to read that and precisely see how the doc works.

EDIT: So because I'm crazy and I like writing a lot, I went ahead and created the Admission papers for my second character. But I won't do anything with her yet.
@Lumi my question still stands :D
"Is there a limit to how much living I can live with my life? How will I know if I've gone too far?

Random avatar

Reviews: 161
Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:57 pm
kayfortnight says...

Hehehe...

Then maybe we'll end up with a group of kidnapped newbies bonding time :)
This account proudly supports lgbt* rights.

67 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:21 pm
Ciblio says...

This is what I forgot ALL about.
Ugh, I'm so inactive. In my social, AND inactive life. >.>
sorryguysIloveyoubutI'mjustsofrigginlazy
Imma catch up on the DT.
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

40 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:54 pm
View Likes
TinkerTwaggy says...

@kayfortnight oooooooohhhhh, yes! Kidnapped newbies! Best way for them to bond with each other :O Quick, add that to the Collab & Idea doc!

@shinethroughthedark The action period is over anyway, so you have all the time you need to catch up with the DT.
Now prepare the music, enjoy the cookies, get down'ere and start readin'!

67 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:29 pm
View Likes
Ciblio says...

yeye sonnnnnnn
'we have lingered in the chambers of the sea /
by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown /
till human voices wake us, and we drown'

previously:
GuyFieri

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:57 pm
Lumi says...

Twaggy, if you want another character, then go ahead.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

40 Reviews

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:50 pm
TinkerTwaggy says...

@Lumi 'Kay!
Hopefully she won't have the OP issue Evoltrick has. But of course, if it still happens, I'll have to be more careful. *crosses fingers*

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:13 pm
Shadowlight says...

could someone catch me up as to what is happening now? plot wise?
I"d like to try again at this sb.
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

I'm also not sure why but even though I normally wear cool tones I have a feeling red would have been my color in the 1860s.
— Elinor