z

Young Writers Society

Location Unknown: Mission Failed DT (2014)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:55 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

I took care of explaining why the ship stopped, then added additional damage. The idea of a gravity mine just sort of occurred to me; and it seems to be quite dangerous, especially if you place one in an asteroid field.

Adelaide is now out in the open; she's been around the entire time actually, but just in observer mode. I was thinking that she could offer to help Roan; while Grif remains undercover aboard the ship. She might change her name in order to avoid the Adelaide-Grif connection; but if Roan recognizes her it's fine.

Hopefully this doesn't step on too many toes...
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:08 am
Auxiira says...

Griff, it wasn't actually an explosion. Lizzie set up one of her gadgets that literally just turned off the motors. After that the huge lurch was cause a ship going from fast to 0 will do that.
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:24 am
Lumi says...

I like the Gravity Mine thing--we could probably combine both interpretations to make it work on multiple levels.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

67 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:17 am
Auxiira says...

Outside assailants too, who chose exactly the same time... Okay! Sounds cool!

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:42 pm
Shadowlight says...

Wait how does Adelaida walk around when she's a computer?
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:26 pm
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Auxiira wrote:Griff, it wasn't actually an explosion. Lizzie set up one of her gadgets that literally just turned off the motors. After that the huge lurch was cause a ship going from fast to 0 will do that.

The thing is that turning off the motors wouldn't be enough to stop the ship in its tracks. If an object is going very fast, it will continue to go very fast until something else slows it down. If you are pedaling a bicycle, then you stop pedaling, you will gradually reduce slow down because of forces like friction and gravity.

However, space has no gravity or friction. If I was in space and I threw a ball; the ball would keep going at the same speed and direction until it runs into something.

The lighter something is; the easier it is to move, like babies. But the heavier it becomes, the more effort is required to move. This is why I can easily move my niece, but I can't easily move a freight train.

The ship is much heavier than a freight train and it going much faster than a freight train. To stop it would require a lot of opposing forces; to stop it immediately would not be an easy thing to do and the sheer amount of energy from the collision would probably just cause the entire ship to atomize.

To give you an idea of what it looks like, consider this video of an F-4 Phantom running into a concrete block. The F-4 is very light and traveling at a paltry 500 mph, but is atomized instantly when it hits the stationary concrete block. This is a dramatic example of what happens when something going very fast is stopped instantly.

The nice thing about a gravity mine is that it would slow the ship down, without necessarily atomizing it; causing massive structural damage. Then the asteroids and mines attracted by the pulse would smash into the ship, causing massive external damage.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

67 Reviews

Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:01 pm
Auxiira says...

I love that vid~
And after having that conversation with you, I fully agree.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:37 am
Lumi says...

Now that the main event has happened, you guys can really go crazy with personal plots. I'm gonna give a lot of time before Roan addresses the gen pop, and he may even stop by to see Ellie.

Given the stress of disaster and looming hopelessness, Roan's condition will get worse, so if you interact with him, feel free to have him do off-color things. Isaac may follow behind to clean up after him.
-Shinji Moon

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:19 am
Shadowlight says...

Issac seems himself as he who contains messes and keeps a semblance of military-esque control.... but inwardly he's more of a dowdy old woman flapping about and fussing like a hen. xD
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:01 pm
Lumi says...

If someone wants to move things forward, obviously a cutaway is in order. I don't have any opinion on who/what goes/happens next. Probably some fluff would be nice. Maybe. That's an opinion.
-Shinji Moon

Life is the art of drawing sufficient conclusions from insufficient premises.
— Samuel Butler