z

Young Writers Society

Location Unknown: Mission Failed DT (2014)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Mon May 19, 2014 2:30 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Grif, that all sounds like "Here's how I use every active cast member of this storybook to make asses out of everyone except Grif."

My primary goal is to make Grif uncomfortable and, if possible, intertwine Grif into the plot line. I don't come up with ideas to be mean or petty. I put ideas out there in the hopes that someone will counter with an even better idea. If you would like your character to be portrayed a certain way, then you only need to ask.

I'll go ahead and scrap that idea and try again.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon May 19, 2014 2:40 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

In the post Shady's putting together now, I had Roan give Shaun a slip of paper that he'll read aloud once Grif gets uncomfortable enough--along the lines of suspicious behavior, a strange man on board, etc. Now that Lt. Isaac has a driver, I'm sure he could make Grif really squirm.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Mon May 19, 2014 2:43 am
Shadowlight says...

Oh HELLS TEETH now there is pressure!

*flails* You need to stop giving me characters, clearly I have issues saying no! xD
"D*** the torpedoes! Four bells! Full speed ahead!"~ Admiral David Farragut

42 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 7:03 pm
View Likes
Shadowlight says...

@Lumi

I am dying of laughter right now. xD Roan is freaking adorable and Evi is shocked that he knows her room number. xD Office is one thing but room? Oh dear. *wink*

Issac is of course mildly horrified- but he often is.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Wed May 21, 2014 7:09 pm
Auxiira says...

same, Adow xD

Lizzie's going to wake up in the cell and be like "O.o How did I get here?"
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

42 Reviews

Wed May 21, 2014 7:15 pm
Shadowlight says...

IT's hysterical! XD

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed May 21, 2014 7:52 pm
Leahweird says...

Adam is miffed that its obvious to everyone now that he isn't a regular passenger, but more so that a) his systems got fried and b) his nerve ending are turned off. So he'll be in a fowl mood once I get a post for him ready

745 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 21, 2014 8:02 pm
View Likes
Lumi says...

On the bright side, Shaun won't turn him down a beer anymore. :P
-Shinji Moon

136 Reviews

Reviews: 136
Wed May 21, 2014 8:05 pm
Leahweird says...

To Adam this is a very bright side (the little lush)

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sun May 25, 2014 10:10 pm
Griffinkeeper says...

Regarding truth serum:

I was researching Sodium Thiopental, which is the truth serum that Roan is looking to give Grif.

The run-down on the drug is that it's not likely to work very well. While it makes the patient more loquacious, someone familiar with interrogation techniques, (like Grif) is capable of resisting it.

More difficulty occurs when you try to administer the drug. It only works if it is administered intravenously. If you use it orally, it causes severe inflammation. It has to be injected into a vein, because if it misses, terrible things happen.

Upon injection, initial signs and symptoms (within 15-20 seconds) consisted of intense forearm pain and mottling of the skin on his hand. Minutes thereafter, discoloration and nail bed pallor became evident. Approximately 3 to 4 hours later, the symptoms had progressed to paresthesias and pronounced hand weakness. Rapid development of signs indicative of necrosis (by the eighth day) required the patient to undergo fasciotomies, multiple débridements, and 4 skin grafts for cosmesis...

Another effect is severe skin necrosis. Basically, the skin turns black because all the cells die.

So, for Grif to be injected with a truth serum, Roan will need to find the vein and inject it into a compliant Grif. This should be done by a medical professional, such as a doctor or nurse. Sticking Grif when he's not looking wouldn't work.

It also doesn't make sense for Roan to use a truth serum in the first place; if he thinks he's a stowaway, then he should just transfer him off the ship (which is still in port to my knowledge) or put him in the brig.

Which is where the second complication comes in, because in an earlier post Grif purchased a ticket and was assigned quarters by the quartermaster. So Roan's assertion that Grif is a stowaway isn't true. Grif said the wrong room number, but it could be argued that he was intoxicated and new to the ship, and thus not able to properly recite his room number. However, even if he forgot, the ship's log would have that information in it.

Grif is trying to run a low profile and he knows that boarding a ship illegally is a great way to get a high profile. Anonymity is worth the price of a ticket every time.

I'm not saying that Roan shouldn't be suspicious of Grif. Instead, I think Roan needs to do a little bit more homework before he starts whipping out the expensive truth serum. Administering those things casually on civilians would open him up to civil and possibly criminal litigation like you wouldn't believe, particularly if there isn't probable cause.

I think it would make sense for Roan to interview Grif, and he might even whip out the serum. But before it can be administered, the doctor, and then a JAG would probably intervene.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

745 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 25, 2014 10:28 pm
Lumi says...

Then just play out the scene as a talk between Roan and Grif. Since Grif is versed in these types of situations, have him pick up on the possible duality of Roan's lingo and Rhetoric his way out of it.
-Shinji Moon

212 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 212
Mon May 26, 2014 8:27 am
ScarlettFire says...

Much as I'd love to join in, I'm afraid I must admit defeat and politely retreat. There is that novel I should be writing. Feel free to use Alex and his sister as you see fit. Kill them, imprison them, I don't mind. (Seriously. Don't kill them....yet. Pretty please?)

LU:MF <3
"With friends like you, who needs a medical license?" - Paimon, Aether's Heart

“It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission.” - Grace Hopper.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Tue May 27, 2014 9:27 pm
Auxiira says...

Just so I'm clear, that wasn't a bomb xD
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

745 Reviews

Supporter

Wed May 28, 2014 1:33 am
Lumi says...

Just a note: the ship has left the port as of the last Roan post. Consider it happening at about 2am.
-Shinji Moon

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Wed May 28, 2014 6:31 pm
View Likes
Rydia says...

I love how Isaac is first on Roan's list of unsexy things - Shaun would disagree :p
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

I'm writing a book. I've got the page numbers done.
— Steven Wright