z

Young Writers Society

Heart of a Bodyguard

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Wed May 23, 2012 2:03 pm
Dynamo says...

Eric looked at Meagan, then back to Richard. "We ran into a bit of trouble in the parking lot. It's been taken care of."

"What kind of trouble?" Richard demanded.

"It's been taken care of," Eric repeated, then climbed into the limo next to Meagan. Richard still seemed worried, but he let out a defeated sigh and got into the driver's seat. For a while they drove in silence, until Eric asked, "How's your knees?"

"I'll be fine," Meagan said. The blood had begun to dry over the scrapes so they weren't oozing as much any more. She stared at her feet for a moment, then sighed and said, "Thanks Eric... for protecting me."

Eric looked at her then. After all the grief she had given him that day he hadn't expected to hear those words come from her mouth. Maybe he hadn't given the girl enough credit, thinking of her as nothing more than a prissy spoiled rich girl. First impressions were often deceiving, after all. He nodded, and said, "It's my job."

Meagan grimaced as they pulled into the driveway. How was she going to explain the cuts and scrapes to her parents?
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Reviews: 164
Tue May 29, 2012 2:17 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan sighed, glancing at Eric as RIchard parked the limo. She slid out of the seat and began to walk around the house to the front door. Hopefully then she would be able to avoid her parents' notice until she had time to clean up.

Brian perked up when he heard the car door close. "Sis is home!" he announced, dropping the X-Box controller and jumping to his feet. He ran through the kitchen, where Jennifer and Debbie were washing the last of the dishes.

Jennifer looked up, smiling. "So I hear." She set the dishes down and dried her hands on a towel, going to the back door as Eric opened it. "Oh, Eric. It's you! Where is Meagan?"
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Tue May 29, 2012 3:27 pm
Dynamo says...

"I think she went up to her room," Eric told her, not knowing how to handle the situation. He knew Meagan didn't want her parents to see her all scuffed up, but he wasn't going to lie to them either.

"Hmm..." she mused as she listened to her daughter's footsteps climbing the stairs. "Well, how was your first day at school?"

"It was... interesting," Eric answered as he took a seat at the table. He reached into his backpack and pulled out some of the notes from his classes to look over them.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:02 am
AyumiGosu17 says...

Jennifer smiled at him, catching the tension in his voice. She chose to not press it. She gestured to the table, where Robert was sitting reading a newspaper over his cleaned plate."Well, sit down, have some dinner. Tonight it's roast pork."

She untied her apron and hung it on a coat hook as she walked out of the room. She began to go upstairs, "Meagan?"

Meagan gasped, looking up when she heard her name being called. She closed the door to the bathroom, hoping it would deter her mother just long enough for her to clean her legs off and put on pajama pants. She fiddled with the cabinets, trying to quickly and quietly locate the rubbing alcohol and a couple bandaids.

"Meagan? Baby, you okay?" Jennifer asked, standing outside the door.

"Hey Mama," Meagan answered, trying to sound pleasant and cheerful despite the pain of the alcohol. "I'm fine, just getting out of this uniform. It's been a long day."

"Oh, okay," Jennifer didn't sound convinced. "I was just a little worried when you didn't stop in and say hi..."

"Yeah, I'm okay. School was good, and the game was actually good! I worked up a sweat cheering so crazy."

"That's good news. Did they finally win?"

"Almost, but we missed a field goal at the last minute." She dabbed some alcohol on her palm, trying to clean her hands before putting some pants on. She was standing there in a tee shirt and her panties, not quite ready to get dressed yet. She hissed, shaking her hand and shouting a vulgar word when it burned all the way up to her elbow. "Ouch! God damn it!"

"Meagan!" Jennifer shouted, grabbing the door knob. "What is going on in there?!" She threw the door open, stopping and staring in shock at her daughter's bloody hands and knees. "What happened!" she demanded loudly.
"Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery." Timothy 4:14 KJV

103 Reviews

Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:04 pm
Dynamo says...

"So," Robert began, peeking over his newspaper at Eric from across the table, "Richard called me earlier."

Eric went still for a moment. Had Richard called Meagan's father on the limo ride back home? "About what?"

"About the game." The man smiled brightly. "He told me you were on the field, and that the team almost won thanks to you."

Eric let out a silent sigh of relief. "Their running-back stormed off the field in the middle of the game and they needed another player or else they would have had to forfeit the match. The coach just happened to grab me out of the stands."

"I didn't know you knew how to play football."

"I played a bit back in my old school."

"So, when's your next game?" Robert asked.

"There isn't a next game for me. I'm not on the team."

That seemed to surprise the man. "Really? From what Richard told me you were an huge asset during the game. Coach Ryans is always looking for good players, he'd be crazy not to ask you to join the team."

"Oh, he asked me, but I turned him down. My first priority is keeping your daughter safe, and I can't do that if I'm off playing football."

Robert nodded. "I see. Well, I'm glad you're putting your duty first, but just know that we all want you to enjoy your school year at Edgeworth. So, speaking of protecting Meagan, did you have any more problems with Matt?"

Eric nodded. "Yes, but nothing I couldn't handle."

"Is that why your eye is red?" Robert asked.

Eric started to say something, but was cut off when they both heard Meagan's mother upstairs shout, "What happened!?"
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:57 am
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan felt the color drain from her face, staring at her mother wide-eyed and frightened. The little woman's cheeks had flushed a brilliant red in her alarm, and her eyes seemed to dance wickedly. Meagan forgot to answer her.

"What happened to you, Meagan Louise Sinclair!" Jennifer demanded, hard.

"I-I... I fell, Mom..." Meagan tried, suddenly feeling weak and exposed. She bit her lip, shifting and sitting down on the closed toilet seat.

"Don't you dare lie to me, missy."

Meagan sighed, spotting her father coming up in the hallway. She bit on her lip. "It was a boy at school... But Eric took care of it - "

"A boy at school?! Did this happen at the ball game, then? When you were by yourself, since Eric was playing football?" Robert demanded.

She bitterly nodded her head. "But he made it to me - "

"Enough! Let me guess - Matt again?" He didn't wait for an answer. "I'm going to have to pay Matt's father a visit tomorrow, since it's clear that this boy can't take hints. And no more football! No more!"

"But Daddy!"

"NO! Not if this is what I have to see coming through my door every Friday night!"

Meagan began to cry again, a soft cry that left streams on her cheeks. She closed her eyes, curling up into a ball on the toilet seat, a hand over her mouth as she sobbed gently, trying not to cry any louder. She didn't want her brother or Eric to hear her in such a fragile state...

But she was raging. She was raging internally, damning the couple that created her for being so harsh and so controlling, keeping a noose around her neck. Yes, that was it - they had a noose around her neck, and one wrong step in her life and she would be hung, and it wasn't likely they were going to cut her down until just moments before she died, strangled... She laid her head on her arms and sat there, sobbing.

Robert walked away. "I'm going to call in to work tomorrow. This nonsense has to stop."

Jennifer, on the other hand, was a bit shocked and sobered up her own motherly rage. She stared at her daughter, sighed, and approached her gently. "You know we only do this to protect you. You're my baby girl, Meagan, I can't let anyone hurt you... If it means no high school football, then I'm sorry. I can make it up to you and take you to a college game if you're really that interested...but no more high school. Not if this is what it ends up being, you getting attacked..."

Meagan huffed, sitting up and pushing past. She went to her room and closed the door, collapsing onto her bed again. Jennifer sighed, looking at Robert, who had stopped at the top of the stairs to listen. "That was a little too hard, Rob, and you know it."

103 Reviews

Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:14 pm
Dynamo says...

(Did we ever give Matt a last name? Because if we did I can't remember it.)

Robert sighed as he stared down the steps. "I just want her to be safe." He felt a surge of rage at the thought of Matt putting his hands on his daughter, then he remembered Eric sitting in the kitchen. He had brought the boy into his home and gave him a chance to go to a prestigious school in exchange for protecting his daughter, and on his first day he lets Meagan get bruised and scraped.

Robert marched down the stairs and headed for the kitchen. Eric remained sitting at the table. The boy was calm, stoic even as he watched the man enter the room. Robert opened his mouth to yell at the boy, but was cut off when the phone rang. He put a tight lid on his rage as he reached to answer the nearest phone. "Hello, this is Robert."

"Sinclair, this is Matt's father, Thomas."

"How can I help you, Thomas?" Robert asked.

"I can tell you how you can help me. You can start by putting a leash on that brute of a boy you're sending to school! Do you have any idea what he did to my son today?" Robert felt his anger flare up again despite his best effort to keep it under control. Before he could even answer, the man on the other line continued, "Matt came home today limping! He said this Eric kid dragged him out into the parking lot and started beating him up! You can be sure that I'll be speaking to the principle first thing in the morning tomorrow, and I'll make sure that boy never steps foot into Edgeworth again!"

(My plan is to have Eric called into the principle's office the next morning to explain his actions. When Matt and his father starts making accusations Eric will show them the bruise from when Matt clocked him in the face and claim he was only protecting himself and Meagan after Matt lashed out.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:52 pm
View Likes
AyumiGosu17 says...

"Don't worry about it, Thomas," Robert growled back. "I'm about to take care of it myself." He hung up.

Jennifer waited at the foot of the stairs, watching her husband on the phone. "Who was it, Robert?"

He slowly turned toward Jennifer and Eric. "That was Thomas Dawson...Matt's father. Which I find it really interesting, Eric," he hissed angrily. "I get a call at eight in the morning because you've already had an altercation at the school, Meagan comes home scraped and bruised from an attack, and now the Dawsons are threatening to try and have you expelled? On day one?!"

Jennifer took a step forward. "Robert, please - "

"No, Jenn! I hired this young man to protect my daughter from thugs like Matt, and the only thing I keep hearing is about how dangerous and violent he is, and all without watching over Meagan like he was supposed to!"

"Daddy, stop it!" Meagan screamed, gripping the railing on the stairs. She was about halfway down then, her face red and streaked with tears from her crying.

Robert turned and looked at his daughter. "Stay out of this, Meagan - "

"No, Dad. I can't. It's not right for him to get yelled at when it's not even his fucking fault!"

"Meagan!" Jennifer gasped. Brian laughed softly, covering his mouth so the parents wouldn't hear and chastise him for encouraging her.

"I mean, come on - how can you expect him to protect someone who isn't even there? That's right, I said it. I ran away from him. I have been, all day! So if you're gonna yell at anybody, yell at me for being a stuck-up bitch who didn't want to be seen with the outsider."

She stormed down the stairs the rest of the wall and stood there, on the ground floor, waiting with her arms crossed. She couldn't look at Eric; she was too ashamed of it, too ashamed of herself. She let a hard, long breath go, waiting for her judgement.

103 Reviews

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:45 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

Robert stared long and hard at her daughter. After a while he slowly turned to Eric and asked, "Eric, is this true? Has my daughter been trying to run away from you all day?"

Eric glanced at Meagan as she stood firm in the face of punishment. At that moment she looked like a completely different person than the prissy rich girl he had to deal with all day. When he looked back at Robert he said, "It's my fault for not being able to keep up with her, sir."

Robert closed his eyes and let out a slow breath. His brow creased into a hard frown when he turned back to his daughter. "Meagan, you're grounded for a week. I could ground you for longer, but I'm going to be lenient just this once because you came clean and told me the truth. If you ever get out of Eric's sight again and I hear about it, you can forget about leaving this house for a month. Is that understood?"

"Yes, Dad," she said with a slow nod.

"Good. Now, go to your room. We'll call you once dinner is ready." Meagan said nothing as she turned and headed back upstairs. Jennifer stood by the kitchen archway as she watched her husband slip into a chair across from Eric. Brian went back into the living room to pick up where he left off on his game now that the situation had been defused. Robert let out a long weary breath. "I apologize for going off on you like that, Eric. I know you were only trying to do your job."

Eric said nothing as he watched the man sitting across from him. After being in the middle of such a heated family feud he didn't want to risk saying anything that might light it back up again.

"Dr. McGough will call you into his office tomorrow morning about this. Matt and his father will be there, too. I'm going to take the morning off tomorrow so I can be there to help your case, and I'll get Meagan to come with us so she can give her side of the story. We'll get this sorted out, don't worry." When Eric nodded in response, Robert said, "Why don't you go rest in your room for a bit. We'll call you when it's time to eat."

Eric got up from his seat and headed out the room. As he left Jennifer moved to Robert and put her hand on his shoulder. As he climbed the stairs and headed for his room he lightly touched the spot where Matt had punched him. His cheek stung a little and he knew there would be a bruise there the next morning.

The whole ordeal had him feeling drained. He wanted some time to clear his head, and he knew the best way to do just that. When he got to his room he took off his school uniform and replaced it with a loose T-shirt and sweatpants. He then went back downstairs and out the door into the backyard. He went to the center of the yard and went into neutral stance. He took a deep breath and started to go through one of the katas his karate teacher back home had taught him. He put power into each punch and kick, flexing his muscles with every movement. When he was done he moved into another kata. The repetition helped calm his mind, helped him focus. He decided to stay outside and practice until it was time to eat.
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan closed her door gently and leaned against it. She sighed, tears falling down her cheeks again. They weren't hard tears, accompanied with vicious sobs and asthmatic breathing; just a gentle, exhausted weep. She wrapped her arms around her knees and laid her head on her forearms, content to just cry there and pray for relief and redemption for just a few moments.

Within a few moments, she composed herself and went to her bed, pulling her laptop out of its nook in her bedstand. She hooked it up and went online, going straight to her blog.

My Fans, Today was rough. Not like the come home from school just a little flustered rough. This was the come home cut-up and bruised and get grounded rough...

She proceeded to write about Eric's arrival and how much she had hated his presence, that he was just so different, so alien that he might as well be one. She described in as much juicy detail his alarmingly rustic appearance, the tattered clothes and how her father had to buy him his own school uniforms, all due to how ridiculously poor he was.

I never thought such poorness (is that a word?) existed in an established, powerful country! she wrote. She also ranted about his timidity and antisocial mannerisms in the home, and the stench of tobacco smoke that followed him. I might end up becoming asthmatic after all...bleh!

Then she went on the talk about Matt.

I guess you could say I'm grateful about Eric kicking Matt's ass today, the little asswipe deserved it. He never gives up, does he? Day one of school and he already corners me at my fucking locker! I thought LAST year was bad, when he tried to follow me home once a week and when he caught me at Bourbon Street, a little tipsy - well, he was drunk - but I guess it was his drunkenness that saved me that time. He couldn't keep up with me, and by the time he realized I wasn't in the Bourbon Heat anymore, I was already way up on Canal heading to the mall! And all the bullshit of stopping me after school and grabbing me to and from classes and getting passing swats of my ass... He's so annoying!

But thinking about it now...he's getting desperate. I don't know what his problem is, maybe he's on drugs or something (don't start rumors, people! I'm just speculating!) because of how he came at me three times today - well, once was at Eric, but I was still right there. I was stupid...I was stupid to run away from Eric all day long, and refuse his help and his protection, now that I think about it.

She began to write about the family fight and how the parents found out about Matt pursuing her so aggressively and how she evaded Eric throughout the day, leading to her grounding. She was halfway through how her mother found her in the bathroom when she heard the call for dinner.

103 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:43 pm
Dynamo says...

She closed her laptop before leaving her room and heading down the hall. One her way to the dining room she passed by one of the windows that overlooked the backyard, and saw Eric. She didn't know why, but she stopped for a moment and watched him practice. He moved with the grace of a tiger as he went from one move to another, and each punch and kick seemed to carry the force of a grizzly bear. She started to assume he was just practising his martial arts to work of steam like the meat heads that used the gym every day, but then she noticed something different about him. Despite the power and effort he put into each move he seemed calm, peaceful even. It was the most peaceful she had seen him since he arrived the day before.

She left the window a few minutes later to head down to the dining room. Eric came in a few minutes later. When they were all present the family did their dinner prayer before eating.

"Meagan," her father began once the prayer was finished, "Eric will be going to the principle's office tomorrow and I need you to be there too to tell them what Matt did today."

(I sort of lost steam half-way through. I don't know why, but keeping focused on my writing is getting tougher these days.)
Take that, science!

164 Reviews

Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:28 pm
AyumiGosu17 says...

Meagan nodded, waiting to touch her plate until he was finished with her. "I know. I'm going to go ahead and tell you that crackjob won't believe you. He won't believe any of us."

"I assume so, after the phone call today," Robert chided bitterly. "Did anyone else see what happened at the stadium?"

She shook her head, uncertain. "I do know we didn't see Matt at all after school, like he claims. And there are cameras out front and in the parking lot, so that claim is null there."

"Good. What about the stadium?"

"There aren't any," she started, then remembered, "but this was after Richard showed up. He might have seen it."

"Okay, enough, you two," Jennifer piped in, having taken a bite out of her dinner already. "We can discuss this later. Eat before it goes cold!"

Meagan smiled and obeyed, not wanting to upset them any more than she already had. She glanced at Eric, and for the first time in over twenty-four hours, she was not angry or disgusted.

103 Reviews

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:28 pm
Dynamo says...

They ate the rest of their dinner in silence before heading off to their rooms for the night afterwards. When morning came around Eric's eye had started to go a little purple. After the family ate breakfast Eric, Meagan, and Robert all got into the limo to go to the school.

When they pulled up next to the school and filed out of the vehicle, Robert said to both of them, "Let me do the talking, and only speak when you're spoken to."

Eric and Meagan both nodded as they followed the man into the school and toward the principal's office.

(Sorry it's so short.)
Take that, science!

The mind of man is capable of anything - because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future.
— Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness