z

Young Writers Society

The Gypsy (Isha and ninjacookiemonster)

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:57 am
eldEr says...

I glowered, giving my skirts a quick tug. The bloody thing would not straighten! The waistline was too tight on my hips, and too loose on my stomach. It just didn't fit right, and it was my newest one, too. And this is why I don't sew. Ever. I let out a frustrated grunt and stormed over to the large trunk in the corner of the caravan and threw it open.

Old. Dirty. Wrecked. Dirty. Wrecked. Old. I frowned, grabbing at the only decent outfit I had left and tugged it out of the trunk. It would have to do, and besides, green was my favourite colour. Yes, I could do much worse than this. I could do much better, mind you, but there was no helping that.

I threw it onto the small cot sitting in the corner and started pulling off my clothes. If anybody walked in now, so help me I would claw their eyeballs out. I threw the sad excuse for a skirt into the middle of the caravan, replacing it with my old one. At least I knew it wouldn't fall off while I was walking.

I sat down on the edge of the cot, working on my top. It wasn't exactly the easiest to get on, part of the reason I was trying to replace it, but it was better than nothing.

It was only half on when the door swung open. I let out a loud yelp and tugged the rest down, glaring at the intruder. "Zaker!" I hissed, standing up quickly. "Do you not know how to knock? Honestly!" I turned away to hide my colouring cheeks and pretended to be thoroghly absorbed in folding my new outfit.

Men. They had to be the worst things in the whole word sometimes, I swear to whatever it is people swear to when they're embaressed.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm
NinjaCookieMonster says...

I yelped and turned about three shades of scarlet. I shuffled into the corner, facing the wall with my hands over my eyes. "Your brother wants you. Says, actually, he needs you." Ricono's actual words were "where's my sister? I want to see her new clothes." Then he had smirked. But since Ricono was a good ally and Aditi would not appreciate those words, I kept my mouth shut and my nose in the corner.

I counted to ten before quietly and timidly asking, "Are you dressed yet?" to which there came a very annoyed "NO!" I winced. Every girl in the world would not mind this. Except Aditi. I mean, come ON! Dark wavy hair? Tall and broad shouldered? Dark eyes and a strong jaw? How do you get mad at that? At me? Psh, ask her. I don't know. I don't get mad at myself that often.

A few seconds later, I asked again. Same response. I made a sort of sigh-groan. "How long does it take?" I asked impatiently.

"Same amount of time it takes to get my face straight up- well, done. Let's go."

Jumping from a moving caravan is ill advised, but we've been doing it for years. It's simple. All you have to do is not try any stunts, step a little ahead of where you are, and land on your toes and the balls of your feet, and not try to land on the soles.

We both followed the jumping-from-a-moving-vehicle rules and started trotting up to where Ricono was riding bareback, like always. He's claustrophobic, for good reason. He's a big guy, tall and buff and sort of clumsy, if he doesn't have a weapon in his hands. He smiled back at me.

"Thanks, Zae." A pause, in which Aditi slapped at her skirt. "You look nice, sister."

Aditi grunted. I clamped a hand over my mouth.
hey, Jude, don't make it bad
take a sad song and make it better
remember to let it into your heart
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

"Not vampires, fish from space."

384 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:53 am
eldEr says...

I shot Zaker a dirty look. I swear if that boy laughed, I would have hid head sitting on a golden platter ontop of a specific trunk. Not at all fun for him, but I'd finally be freed of him. My brother called me synical, I called me intollerant of irritating men.

"It doesn't fit right," grumbled, kicking at the ground. My toe hit a small rock lodged in the dirt, which hurt, but I refused to show that I had done something that clumsy. Apparently, Zaker noticed. I shot him another dirty look and he bit his lip, lucky for him.

"It looks fine to me," Ricono answered sweetly. The man must have been dense. The skirt was hanging off my hips at a horrible angle, just threatening to drop at any moment. The shirt was lopsided, and didn't come down as low as it was supposed to. It was supposed to tie just above the belly button. Instead it was inches above. Apparently, you measured your material for a reason.

I sighed and forced a smile at my brother, but said nothing. Mostly because whatever I did say would be snarky or sarcastic, and Ricono hadn't done anything to deserve that.

"What's the back look like?" my brother asked finally, breaking a somewhat awkward silence.

I let out a frustrated puff of air and turned around. He's only trying to be nice. Don't bite his head off just yet., I reminded myself.

"Shouldn't we get going again? Before the rest of the caravan moves on without us?" I asked impatiently. I just wanted to get back into my old clothes.

Ricono nodded, offering me a sweet smile, which I found particularly irritating for some odd reason. I was in a bad mood today, every hint of happiness got on my nerves.

I turned before I slapped somebody and glowered at Zaker. "This time, would it be too much to ask for you to stay outside while I change?" I hissed. "And don't look at me like that! Honestly Zaker!" I turned away quickly. Zaker was lucky he was handsome, or he'd have been dead and gone a long time ago. Courtesy of Aditi.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

57 Reviews

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 pm

I sighed. "Fine. But don't blame me if I end up climbing on top of your caravan." Which I could. My act was balance. On anything. Wires, barrels, you name it.

"As long as you're outside," Aditi answered, before her head was in the caravan again. I shrugged and jumped on top of the little, tiny outcropping above the wheel, leaning casually on the roof.

"Ooh, apple." I said happily, grabbing a red apple from her roof. Must have fallen from one of the trees ten miles back. I munched, spitting a stray seed out. Ricono shot me a look -don't let that hit our creatures- and turned back to face the road. No doubt thinking about Miss Tochia. Pretty thing, but too sweet for my taste.

Ew. My taste. Creeper-y much, me?

I took another bite and set the apple, upright, on the roof, while I wiped my mouth. Juicy thing. If it wasn't an apple, I was fairly certain it would have been a peach. Apple-peach... interesting. I'd have to bring that up as a sales option.

I threw the apple up in the air and caught it, taking another hearty bite. Uch, apple in my hair. One second.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

384 Reviews

Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:04 am
eldEr says...

I closed the door behind me, sure to double check the lock this time. Satisfied that it was bolted tightly, I ripped off my top-shredding the sleeve in the process. I let out a frustrated grunt and threw it to the side, pulling on my old top again. The skirt was next, which was really the only problem with the outfit. It was a little snug, and a little worn near the bottom. But at least I knew it wouldn't fall down randomly.

Finally dressed, I decided to take it upon myself to apologize to Zaker for my little outburst. Even if he had walked in without knocking, and he had almost seen me in a state I'd really rather not be seen in. That and he had snickered. Or at least he had almost snickered. And there were other little things. The fact that I had gotten almost no sleep for the past three nights didn't help matters.

Oh, this apology would be a half hearted one. I just wanted to get it out of the way before Ricono got after me about it, assuming he found out. And knowing my brother, he would definately find out one way or another.

I let out a frustrated puff of air and opened the door carefully, finding the edge of the caravan with my feet. Like caravan jumping, caravan climbing isn't such a good idea. Unless of course, you're one of the few who are gifted in such things.

I felt around the top of the caravan for something to hold onto and pulled myself up. "Zaker?" I mumbled. "Oh, you really are up here."

My cheeks were already colouring and I hadn't even said anything yet. Not a good sign.

Zaker lowered the apple he was eating and arched an eyebrow. "Yes?"

"I'm sorry," I grumbled, glancing over my shoulder and glaring at a tree. At least my brother wouldn't be after me for not being the "better person."
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

57 Reviews

Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:10 am

It wasn't the apology that threw me off, it was the hug she gave me when I had successfully climbed back in her caravan. Yes, hug. And to make sure you get why I was now staring, very miffed, into space, I'll remind you that Aditi doesn't DO hugs. She really doesn't.

And this felt extremely awkward. I mean, Adi's not short, but I'm still taller, and her arms are really wiry, and she really didn't feel earnest. More like this-feels-like-duty-so-I'll-hug-you-you-better-savor-it. I coughed; Aditi got the picture and let go, twining her hands behind her back.

"Better make sure my apple's still there." I said quickly, slithering back to the wooden outcropping and grabbing at my fruit. I hear Aditi's faint "um, yeah" before I'd nudged the door closed, making it look like the wind. (All else fails? Blame the wind.)

"Back me up here, app," I muttered, crossing one foot over the other and focusing on the skin, in case Aditi found some unforgivable crime in my hasty escape. Not my fault that apologetic hugs felt awkward. Totally hers. MY apologetic hugs were awesome.

And she could not argue otherwise. She knew they were. Uh huh.
then you can start
to make it better.

~make books, not war~

384 Reviews

Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:44 pm
eldEr says...

I let out a frustrated puff of air, quickly brushing a few loose strands of hair behind my ear. Hugs. They were almost disgusting, I swear. Especially when you were only hugging to avoid the wrath of your older brother's lectures. And trust me, you wanted to avoid Ricono's lectures as much as possible. They were long and full of exceptionally large words and sentences that never ended.

And to make matters worse, the door had mysteriously slammed shut. Wind or Zaker's foot? I was leaning towards the latter, but I could skin him for it later.

"All right then Aditi," I muttered to myself, "you've officially just destroyed your reputation."

Then again, nobody had saw me willingly give a man a hug. So, as long as Zaker kept his over-sized trap shut, I was safe. Zaker wasn't good at that, however.

And yet, Ricono thought that it would be an excellent idea to put me in charge of keeping Ricono's little secrets. And oh, I will assure you that there are a whole bloody lot of them, too. Or, depending on how you looked at it, one massive one. But I'll have to wait and let him tell you that.

Well, now what was I supposed to do to amuse myself? An all-to-familiar feeling of sheer boredom hit me, making me will something adventurous to happen. Like, masked men with bows and arrows raiding the caravan. Now there was some fun.

Okay, so that was over-kill and it probably wouldn't be such a good thing. A new gig would be nice, too. Something to practice for and spend my time working at.

I grinned, stepping towards the door. I pushed it open slowly, just enough for me to squeeze out through the crack-- without tippingo off Zaker. Now, the trick was to jump off of the back of the wagon without being noticed. I slipped down soundlessly, immediately moving to behind another caravan, smiling at the older woman riding on top. She nodded back, but said nothing. And that is why we all loved her. She never poked around your business.

And then I was in the forest. So long as I didn't lose sight of the caravan, I'd be fine. Mind you, I did this all the time. True, I hadn't snuck out since Zaker had come long (the man had kept me on my toes, that was for sure).

This was much better than standing--or sitting-- in a stuffy wagon.
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

Cheat your landlord if you can and must, but do not try to shortchange the Muse. It cannot be done. You can’t fake quality any more than you can fake a good meal.
— William S. Burroughs