z

Young Writers Society

Berlin Bros. Travelling Circus.

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 am
Apple says...

> Information for those who are wondering what I am doing. This is a little thing that me and Drago (formally known as Dragonet {the D-dog}) are going to be writing. It's about the circus if you haven't caught that as much and yeah...that's pretty much all.<

PS> I'm sorry, Drago for the long post. :D I got carried away!

Ignacia "Iggy" Freeman:

I felt her nails rake across the side of my cheek. Gasping loudly, I grabbed at my wounded face and turned to glare down my sister. She smiled cunningly, her fingers raised in front of her face menacingly. Anger began to pump through my veins and a steely taste of despite filled my mouth.

"What was that for?" I cried.

"Don't try telling on me, I'll only just get you into trouble." Samantha smiled widely, her perfect teeth framed by her lip gloss smudged lips. She was one of those girls who hungered to be a teenager with a bra size larger then her I.Q. Her short pants and high cut tank top were evidence of that.

"I'm not going to tell on you," jumping forward, I grabbed onto her hair and tugged down relishing in her scream. My Uncle had called me a sadist when I would continuously pull the rattle away from my cousin, laughing when she cried. I had disagreed when he said that, but now I was having second thoughts. Towards my sister anyway...

Samantha kicked and punched weakly at me, as I kneed her in the stomach sending her reeling back. She grabbed at a spatula on the kitchen table and I laughed.

"What are you going to do with that?" I mocked, forcing fire to my tone.

I shouldn't have asked that question. Maybe I wouldn't be wearing it if I hadn't. Samantha flung the spatula at my head and hit square on. I staggered backwards bringing my hands up to my nose. Tears of pain began to bud in the corner of my eyes. Quickly blinking them away, my shoulders began to shake with anger. Roaring, I lunged forward trying to catch her. Dad swung into the kitchen, his eyes blood shot from staying at work so late. Samantha ran behind his leg and forced a strained sob. I stopped, my leg still raised in the air and my hand bunched into a fist. I glanced at Samantha not to do anything dramatic that will get me in trouble but we were past that point already.

"What's going on in here? I enter the house to screaming! What do you think the neighbours will think of this family?" Dad glared icily at me, his knuckles turning white as he gripped his suit case.

"Dad, I- it's not what it looks like," I said uselessly, my hands dangling limply by my sides. The butterflies in my stomach must've mutated or something because I was definitely feeling a lot worse then uncomfortable.

Samantha wiped her runny nose on my Father's business pants and let out a cry. "She hurt me, Daddy. Iggy said that she hated me and that I stole her s-stuff when I d-didn't!"

I glanced at Dad, my mouth opening and widening like a fish which had been unexpectedly pulled out of the sea. Dad put his large hand on my sister's hair and patted her trying to be comforting. I glared her down; it should be me there. I should be Dad's favourite! He looked up from my sister and met my eyes angrily.

"Go to your room, Ignacia!" his tone was frighteningly cold and I didn't wait to run up the large fleet of stairs. The silk of my dress beated against my legs as I rushed into my room and let the door shut behind me. Collapsing onto the ground, I sighed trying to keep the tears of frustration from leaking down my cheeks.

"Why does she always do that? Why does she always pin the blame on me!?" I asked my stuffed animals placed under my bed. I kept them hidden there from any other speculative eyes; I didn't want to be teased at school. Crawling over to my bed, I pulled out the fat kangaroo I had name Yella. "What do you think, Yella?"

If anyone had seen me then, they would've thought I was nuts. And maybe I was. A piece of paper slipped from the front pocket of the stuffed kangaroo and landed in front of me. The picture of a large clown and a dozen other circus actors stood invitingly behind it framed the small flyer. I glanced down at it and felt my heart falter. "The circus will be here soon, Yella are you excited?" I looked at the toy questioningly as if expecting it to answer, of course it didn't. Sighing, I dropped the kangaroo and walked to my open window. It was huge, but of course it was! Our house was the largest house in the town and the most expensive.

"I want to go outside into town to get a book," I said, speaking over my shoulder. "Do you think Dad will be angry if I go out?" I paused, pulling down my jumper sleeves. "No! Okay, I'll be back in a tick. Cover for me."
I spy!

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm
Dragonet says...

>It's ok, mine is probably longer. Besides, aren't we writing a book? This isn't some small storybook.<

Daemon Scott
The morning started out like the usual. I was silently eating my lucky charms, savoring each bite, I most likely wouldn't get lunch today. The way Marie-- or 'the evil step mother' as I liked to call her-- was acting, she had been drinking again, and lord knows when she'll pull herself back together again. She sat in her bath robe across the table, sipping her coffee and reading the news paper. Her blond/gray hair had been up in curlers all night, like it was suppose to make her look beautiful, and smoke filtered out of her blood-red, painted lips. I sighed and scratched the base of my neck, the way I did when I was trying to ignore my miserable life.

The little TV that sat on the counter was blaring and my ears perked up when I saw what was on. A beautiful blond news women was standing in front of Casey's and saying dramatically, "And Robin Hood strikes again." the corners of my mouth lifted slightly before I took another bite of cereal. Marie looked up from her paper and watched the television. I pretended to be uninterested, but my ears took in every word the women said. "Just last week the thief broke into Glenwood's Casey general store and stole a medium pizza and a jar that held donations for Blue Cross. Amazing enough, the thief managed to do this with out being noticed. Casey workers said that they didn't even notice the items missing until after the store was closed."

"Suckers," I muttered under my breath.

The lady continued. "When questioned, a costumer admitted to seeing a mysterious looking boy standing in the corner of the store. The boy had an over-sized hoodie on, with the hood pulled down, over his face. This appearance sounds very familiar to the way our Robin Hood has been dressing in his countless assaults." A fuzzy, black and white picture came up on the screen. It was a picture of a boy in a hoodie stuffing various items in his pockets. "If you have seen this boy, or think it might be him, please contact the authorities." She dolled out the number. Then continued in a dramatic voice, "who is this boy? And where will he strike next? Back in a minute." The TV screen flashed to a commercial and Marie turned down the volume.

"So, what do you think about this Robin Hood kid?" I asked, pretending to be more interested in my cereal then in my question.

Marie hardly looked up from her news paper. "What about him? If you ask me he's just an insolent boy. He hasn't done anything much, nothing worth thinking about anyways." I gripped the table cloth under the table. Is this all I'd come to? I made it in the news paper, on the radio, and even television, but no it wasn't good enough for her. I had to do something big, something worthy of her small brain to think about. I looked down angrily. My choppy brown hair fell over my eyes, I flung it aside.

Heavy footsteps came from outside, and then the door opened to reveal my dad. He walked in with oil splattered all over his shirt, muttering loudly. Stomping over to the kitchen drawers, he began opening them violently and rummaging through them. "Damn." He cussed. "Marie, have you seen my screwdriver." Him and a bunch of his buddies were probably working on his stupid new race car that he would be running in next month's race.

"Of course I haven't, dear," she replied sweetly. "Why don't you take a break from your hard work. Come." She patted the chair beside her and then stroked my dad's face. I rolled my eyes. Trying to ignore them, I shoveled another spoonful in my mouth, when they started kissing, right there in the middle of the kitchen. I set down the spoon and nearly gagged, my apatite gone. Did they even realize I was still here? I cleared my throat loudly.

Marie pulled away from my dad and rolled her head around to give me an annoyed look. "Why are you still here? Don't you have something better to do?" She smirked. My dad looked at me as if he were trying to apologize, but it was probably fake.

I got up from the table. "Yeah, lots of stuff," I retorted. Grabbing my board from the wall, I set it on the floor and rolled out the door.
Last edited by Dragonet on Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

Do you have any idea why a raven is like a writing desk?

199 Reviews

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 pm
Apple says...

Ignacia "Iggy" Freeman:

"...Who is this boy? And where will he strike next? Back in a minute." I blinked at the many screens in the television shop. Each played the same thing; the recent theft by the mysterious Robin Hood. I smiled slightly, remembering what the TV reporter had said and shook it off. The library was closed and I had spent the whole hour sitting in the small shop and listening to the TVs blare. I rubbed my eyes flicking the channel. A commercial of the circus zapped onto the screen forcing me to stop. My eyes grew wide as I watched young girls roll around in hula hoops, doing amazing flips and tricks.

A clown jumped on to the screen, his puffy hair shaking around his white painted face. "This is not a show to be missed!" he said in a goofy voice, throwing his leg up into the air and collapsing to the ground. I giggled childishly. "For one night only, The Berlin Bros. Travelling Circus will be in a town near you! Tickets will be on sale, but you must hurry, they do go out extremely fast." Beeping on a horn, a short blond boy ran onto the stage holding a monkey on his arms. The shop keeper came from out of his counter and stopped in front of me blocking the view of the large plasma screen I had my eyes glued to.

"Are you going to buy something or just watch TV?" he said in an impatient tone, snickering slightly and looking over his shoulder continuously.

I glanced behind him to see two girls leaning over the counter, their heads craned over towards us. They were both giggling and nudging each other. The words "freak" and "weirdo" were shared around. I stood up, dusting off my dress.

"Do you know who I am?" I asked in a threatening tone.

"Yeah, a freak!" one of the girl's yelled. The shopkeeper howled with laughter, his acne covered face looked even sweatier then before I had entered this shop. What looked like red lipstick was positioned on the bottom of his neck. I rolled my eyes dramatically, trying to make myself look strong and important.

"I'll have you know my father can sue you for everything you own till the day you die!" my mouth curled into a threatening smile and my ember brown eyes bore into the shop keeper. His laughter died on his swollen lips and he rubbed his arm uncomfortably. The girls at the counter didn't follow in his lead. Instead, they started to laugh harder. I felt my cheeks glow red. I blushed so easily! It was annoying! The problem with blushing was that when I realised I was blushing I went even redder until my whole body was as red as a tomato. "My father is head of Freeman mobile company, do not test me!"

"Look little girl. You may be a rich little tramp in your house, but this is my joint and you cannot talk to me like that!" the redhead (who I decided to call red) said loudly, her pink lips were pouted in a mocking way. The girl behind her - with a range of piercings covering her face (who was now known as tackle box) - began to hoot with laughter slapping the desk.

"Rich little tramp! That's a good one!" tackle box squealed, her colourful short hair jumping around her ears.

"My father is going to know about this," I said in a slow tone, my eyes still boring into the boy who looked very uneasy. He was probably the only smart one in this room. I was included with the stupid people. I mentally cursed and kicked myself for saying anything.

Red and Tackle box scoffed unimpressed. "Run along little girl, we have no time for you. Jason, why don't you come back here so we can see your handsome face."

I felt anger begin to cloud around my features. I don't hate many things but there are some things that just get on my nerves. Firstly; people trying to act tough when they're not and secondly...I hate being told what to do! It gets under my skin and forces me to shake with rage. I am Ignacia Freeman and no one can tell me how to run my life; especially not some two faced witches!

Storming past the boy - who was definitely not good looking - I rushed up to the two girls who were still giggling. Red placed her phone on the counter and turned to glare at me. Grabbing at it before she could catch me, I flung the phone on the floor and stamped on it. The mobile broke under my foot as I pulled it up continuously to only smash it back down. Red's mouth fell open and she gasped loudly, to shocked to do anything.

"You're going to regret that!" she said, her tone icy. "That phone cost a heck of a lot"

"Try me," without waiting, I ducked under her moving hand and rushed towards the front door escaping into the busy street. I didn't wait for cars to pass across the street and ran through the road, the sound of honking horns blazing after me. Don't stop running, Iggy! Just don't stop!
I spy!

25 Reviews

Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:17 am
Dragonet says...

>Sorry it's so dang long, and half of it won't make any sense, it's late at night for me and I'm practicly nodding off as I'm writing this.<

Daemon Scott

I clinched the iPhone that I had just stolen and skate-boarded around the corner. It was probably the most valuable thing that I'd ever stolen, well except for that one time when I "borrowed" that guys truck, but besides that. The cops and a small crowd of spectators were following me. I could here one of the officers yelling into his megaphone, "Hey kid! Give up and no one gets hurt." I laughed out loud. All cops were that dumb. As if I'm just going to just let them put me in hand cuffs and through me in jail, yeah, that sounds like a great idea. Not.

Ok, so maybe it was a little risky to steal an iPhone right in the middle of our town's anniversary event, but my step mom wanted to see something dramatic and dangerous, so that's what I'd give her.

I came up to a corner in the side walk, with a four-way crossing in the road straight ahead. The light was green and the cars were driving through the cross-walk that connected this side walk to the other side. I did the logical thing, I went straight, into the traffic. See, my theory was that I would be able to weave in and out of the cars because of my skateboard, and because I was quick. On the other hand my chasers had to wait for the light to be able to cross.

Crossing the first lane was easy, no cars. The second lane, I had to dodge one car, but it was far enough away. Lane three and four was difficult. If I went too slow I would get hit by car in lane three, too fast and car in lane four would smash me. I decided that to take option two. Thankfully that driver had some sense and braked when I popped out in front of him, and I managed to swerve around him. Just as I hit the side-walk, I looked over my shoulder to snicker at the crowd that was still standing at the other side, and I didn't see the girl that was right in front of me until I ran into her.

The iPhone flew out of my grasp as my skateboard slid out from under my feet. Twisting in mid air, my back hit the sidewalk with a painful thud that knocked the wind out of me. My head bounced painfully on the cement and I gasped as my vision went black for a moment. When I groaned, rolled over, and blinked, I saw that the police were already half way across the cross-walk. I quickly sat up and reached for my iPhone, only to find out that the screen had cracked when I dropped it. "Crap." I spat, but I picked it up anyway, it would still work. By now the people were on me. But something strange was going on, they weren't focused on capturing me. They were all pointing and whispering. Suddenly someone called out, "Hey, I recognize that kid, it's the Scott boy. Daemon Scott." It was only then that I realized that my hood had slipped off my head. My world went dizzy and I scrambled back on my hands, trying to escape my worst nightmare. After four years they had figured out who I was.

A cop stepped forward. "Well, well, well. I guess the mystery of the Robin Hood is solved. Your games are over boy," he taunted. I looked fearfully from one face to another and snatched at my hood, trying to hide my face. "Give up boy, we no who you are, we know where you live. You can't escape us."

I shook my head and desperately told myself to snap out of it. I needed to think, there had to be a way out of this, there just had to. If I could just get away from this, I could sit down and think. I had to find something to bargain with, but what? My gaze fell on the girl that I had ran into. Ah, a hostage.

I quickly snatched up the girl and drew out my knife. Now, I wasn't a violent person, but I had made myself buy a knife awhile ago. I would never use it on someone of course, it was just for emergencies, and this was definitely an emergency. Pressing the blade to the girl's throat, I placed the girl in front of me and warned everyone not to make any sudden moves.

They all stayed back, and I led the girl away from the crowd and into an alley. When we were far enough away from everybody, I lowered the knife and smiled. "Sorry 'bout that, but you were the closest one and I needed a hostage." She looked at me, dazed, like she couldn't believe that I was letting her go. But when I started tying her up, she got an angry look. "Do you even know who I am?" She yelled angrily. I sighed, I should have never brought out my good side, the threatening side is more quiet.

"Look, sweety," I said raising the knife again, "I'd be a little more quiet if I were you. 'Cause otherwise, the cops would hear you yellin' and come running, and I can't have that."

She continued to yap at me as we went through the maze of alleys, but at least she obeyed and was quieter. Finally, I got to the alley where I kept my Robin Hood stuff. Which included a backpack full of some of the stuff I'd stolen, an extra pair of clothes, and a gun (which didn't have any bullets in it. I told you, I wasn't a violent type). "Well, this is where I say good bye." I told the girl. "Hope you can find your way home." And with that I slung my backpack over my shoulder and climbed my neighbors wall, like I'd learn to do ever since I was little.

When I reached the top, I tip-toed across the roof and jumped down on the other side. I didn't know where I'd go, only that I couldn't go home. The cops would be there, I wonder what mom would say when she found out her boy was the Robin Hood. She'd probably retort something like, "Daemon? The boy isn't smart enough to steal a candy bar from a three year old."

I turned and walked toward the setting sun, not knowing where I was going, neither caring, I was on my own.

>The girl was Iggy<
Last edited by Dragonet on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

199 Reviews

Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:40 am
Apple says...

Ignacia "Iggy" Freeman:

My heart began to beat quickly against my rib cage. What the hell had just happened? I squirmed, my voice sore from screaming for help. I glanced to see the boy who the crowd had called; Daemon, jump skillfully from a roof and land as if it were a piece of cake. Wrenching my hands at the rope bonds; I could feel it loosening, as if 'Robin Hood' was letting me escape. The shouts of policemen coming towards us, made me move quicker.

For some reason; I didn't trust them, as if they were the enemy. The ropes fell free and I stumbled to a stand, my wrists red with pain. Not waiting, I took off through the alley way, my pulse beating like a jack hammer. My feet slammed through the puddles and dirty water washed up my legs. I definitely shouldn't have worn a dress today! I could see the light of an exit coming up. A thought suddenly struck me - a very bad thought!

"Maybe I should follow after him." I ran past a fork in the alley way which seemingly had been the direction Robin Hood had been taking.

Are you crazy? A voice in my head screamed. Dad would notice you more if you brought a criminal to his knees in front of the court. He would be proud - And you think that this Daemon will just turn himself in? He'll go down with a fight and you couldn't resist him before, what makes you think you can over power him? The contradicting voice replied. But, if you do some how turn him in, you could have all the fame and spot lights on you..."Samantha would be cast away like dirty socks!"

I didn't need anymore convincing then that. Turning back the way I came, I rushed through the fork, the police officers managing to spot me. Damn! I hadn't lost them as I had thought. Ignoring their cries for me to stop and that they'll help me, I continued on searching the skies for the thief. I was scared, heck I was almost wetting my underpants. If he caught me and things didn't go to plan then I was in a lot of trouble, but if they did; I would be the one hiding behind Dad's pants.

Coming to a jog, he was already far ahead of me though he had also stopped. I strained my vision to see him climbing down a building, and entering an open window or now open window - after he had broken through it. I chased across the street; towards the run down apartments. The sign above the many windows flickered weakly that you could hardly see that almost all the lights lining the letters didn't work. Without thinking, I stopped at the first escape that would lead me up to the room. This was all to easy; maybe today was my lucky day. Jumping, I caught hold of the ladder and began to climb, trying my hardest not to look down and see the giant drop that awaited beneath me.

"Just don't look down. Just don't look down," I repeated this until it turned into a chant and I had managed to catch up to the broken glass. Pulling myself up, I glanced into the dust swept room to see no one. Instantly my brain caught up with me. Was this so smart? This guy had taken me hostage and allowed me a chance to escape and now I was following him! What happens if he doesn't give me a second chance? I was about to start climbing down when a strong hand curled around my wrist.

I screeched, my fingers clutching even tighter to the window sill. Pulling me up, I came face to face with Robin Hood. I couldn't help but blush; he was good looking...very good looking.

"Why are you following me?!" he snapped, his eyes fiery.

Lie. Lie. Lie. Lie "I'm n-not following you..." my teeth chattered with fear.

"Let the girl go!" the sound of police shouting, made me jump. I felt my fingers release from the window sill and Daemon's hand pull away. Without realising, I began to fall. Before I could scream, his hand snaked out and grabbed onto mine. Our fingers locked and I jumped in the air like a limp ragdoll. I looked up to see Daemon leaning half his body out the window, his choppy fringe hanging over his eyes. I stared at him baffled. A criminal...had saved me!

He began to pull me up, forcing me through the window. The police gasped, their voices muffled with astonishment. I collapsed onto the ground of the dirty apartment and looked up through a lock of brown hair.

"You saved my life..." the words came softly, the setting run rays spilled over my features.

"I do have a heart, kid." Daemon snapped. "I'm not a monster as everyone seems to think!"
I spy!

25 Reviews

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:36 pm
Dragonet says...

Daemon Scott

The girl stood, a solute against the setting sun. Her straight brown hair was parted down the side, pale, pink lips were etched in her face, and dark slim eyebrows finished it off with a beautiful but stubborn look. Sure, I'll admit that she was cute, but she had caused me a problem. I kicked at my backpack, I had planed to stay here tonight, until she came of course.

"Thank you," the girl said again, "you... you saved me." Apparently she was still in shock that a criminal would do such a thing.

I rolled my eyes, "Yes, didn't we just get done establishing the fact that I did, indeed save you life? Or do you want me to repeat it for you?" She shut her mouth and looked at me with fiery eyes. "Thanks to you," I continued, more to myself then to her. "I don't have a place to stay tonight. Where am I suppose to go now? If you wouldn't have followed me--"

"Well you weren't to hard to follow. A blind lady could have followed you." She shot back.

"Oh, so now it's my fault that you followed me?" This girl was getting on my nerves. But I didn't have time to argue like a first grader, the police down below were waiting. No doubt they had already surrounded the building and were coming up the stairs to get me right now. I stuck my head out of the window and scanned the side of the building. The top of a gable was about a yard to the right. If I could just get to it, I might be able to manage to jump up on the roof. It was risky, but that was my kind of style.

I felt the girl bump against my elbow as she leaned out the window next to me. "Aw, look, it's Robin Hood and his maid Marian." A boy about my age snickered from below. Instantly, my cheeks went red and I knew that the girl looked the same way, but I didn't dare check. Instead I pulled back inside and took a powder stick and a lighter out of my bag.

"Hey, Sherif of Nottingham." I yelled down to an officer when I had poked my head out the window again. He turned around and looked at me. "Yeah, you, the fat one. Sheriff Nottingham, right?" He glared at me. I smiled, "Think fast." I lit the fuse with my lighter and threw it at his feet. The crowd screamed and ran in all different directions. It's amazing what a little fourth of July firecracker can do. Of course they wouldn't know that it won't hurt them until it blew up, but I didn't wait for that long. While they were distracted, I quickly jumped up on to the window sill and balanced myself, getting ready for the jump. I managed to get ontop of the gable, and then bounded up off the roof.

As I jumped on to the roof of another house, I heard the firecracker go off. If I could just see the cops face when they found out that they ran because of a firecracker that only made a loud noise.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

199 Reviews

Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:32 pm
Apple says...

>Sorry for the late post, I have so much school work and tests coming up in the next week it isn't funny. Okay, I guess it is. So, yeah, if I don't post to frequently in this week, don't think I've quit. I just have so much stuff on. :P <

Ignacia "Iggy" Freeman:

7:30 PM Saturday: Police Station.

"Did he harm you in any way?" a large police man asked, his eyes scanned my body quickly before turing to glance at my father who had his arm around me. Mum was crying into her hands, her mascarra running down her cheeks. I felt important, I was practically beaming with happiness. For once, I was the centre of attention and not Samantha.

"No," I muttered quitely, trying to look dramatic.

"Do you know where he is going?" the police man asked, drawing a biro from his shirt pocket and running the back of his hand across his nose patiently. I shook my head, shrugging my shoulders uselessly. No, I didn't know where he was going but even if I did; I don't know if i'd tell the police. Daemon did save my life, I don't know if i'd give out his information so quickly...but he was a criminal and the law was the law! And anyone who break it; should pay the price!

My father moved impatiently in his chair. "Look, we've been sitting here for an hour or so and you've been asking the same ridiculous question-" The police man looked up insulted. "- If you'd please just let us deapart, I have something planned for my family."

Something planned? The words struck me like a bag of bricks. Dad never planned anything for us. We were always cast away in the evenings for his office...especially on Saturdays. Mum pulled a handkerchief from her purse and dabbed at her eyes. Samantha who was trying to act innocent, slid off of her chair and stood with prowess.

The police man nodded. "Fair enough, you may leave after I ask one more question." He ignored the look my Father shot at him. "If you ever see him again, you'll come straight to us, right? Anything that may even give the slightest hint as to where he is going?"

I nodded. "I will."

Dad nodded and ushered me out of my chair, leading me out of the interrogation room. I looked around to see groups of people sitting on blue and white bleachers, their faces were masks of guilt. Dad walked past them his eyes scanning them as if he thought he was better then they were. And he was! He owned a multi-billionaire company! The automatic door opened gracefully in front of his and Dad swung out of it, trying to prove his point. I stumbled after him to see our black limo rumbling on the round-a-bout. But that was our good limo. Dad never used it unless we were going somewhere as a family (which was hardly never).

Fredrick - our limo driver - moved from the front seat and opened the passenger door. His gloved hand twirling towards my sister's and helping her up into the car. I grabbed onto Dad's sleave and pulled down on his shirt.

"Where are we going?" I asked, confused.

"The circus is in town, silly. I know how you always want to go see it...so here is your chance!"

I looked up at him incredulously. He was taking me to the circus? I felt a small, insecure smile spread across my face. Maybe turning Daemon in will be a good idea...I mean look at all the attention I am getting. Stepping into the limo, I felt a plan beginning to hatch into my mind.
I spy!

25 Reviews

Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:34 pm
Dragonet says...

Daemon Scott

I wriggled under the tent's canvas on by belly. Standing up, I brushed off my pants and straightened my hoodie, 'well that was easy'. I had just stolen into the circus with out a problem or anybody spotting me. I had come up from under the bleachers, now I was walking to get out from under them. It was dark in their shadows, and I almost tripped on a supporting beam. The smell of warm butter made me stop in my tracks. I looked up and saw a bag of popcorn and a pack of M&Ms sitting above me, by a little boy's feet. My hand went clenched my stomach as it growled loudly, I hadn't eaten since yesterday afternoon, just before I had stolen that iphone (which I still have in my backpack). Thankfully, the boy's eyes were on the circus arena, so he didn't see my hand reach out and snatch his snacks. 'Sorry kid,' I thought, and I was, but I needed it more than he did.

A few more steps and I was out from underneath the platform. When I slipped out from underneath the last beam, I was out in the light. Trying to look like a normal teenager who had paid to get in, I sat down on an end seat, munched on my popcorn, and watched the show.

About ten minutes went by before I felt another body brush against me and sit down. I didn't think much of it until the person poked me in the arm and whispered, "Robin hood." I nearly jumped out of my skin. Who was this person and how did they know who I was? It took all of my will power not to sprint for the exit. Instead, I tried to keep my voice even as I replied, "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not-" I stopped when I saw that it was that girl again. The same girl that I had saved, the same girl that had almost gotten me caught. "Oh, you again." I mumbled, glaring at her.

I caught her staring at something in the distance. When I followed her gaze, I saw a couple of cops sipping coffee and lazily watching the circus, a lump caught in my throat. My eyes widened and my mind raced for a solution. All she had to do was scream, call for the cops, and I'd be done for. But what was I suppose to do? Cover her mouth with my hand? That would cause more of a commotion. I gulped, "Hey, look, Maid Miriam, you wouldn't--"

I was caught off by her. "My name isn't Maid Merriam!"

I hadn't even realized that I had called her that, but at least I had her distracted. "Well that's the only name I know you by, you didn't happen to mention in out last meeting," I said back.

"Iggy," she sniffed, "Iggy Freemon." She said the last name as if it were important. "What's your name?"

"Yeah right, nice try. I'm not that stupid. I'm not giving you personal information to hand over to the cops."

"They know who you are anyways." she pointed out. "What was again? Oh yeah. Scott, Daemon Scott."

I huffed while she smiled at me triumphantly. "Still," I pointed out, "You can't just hand me over. I saved your life didn't I?" That seemed to have gotten her. She closed her mouth and seemed to be deep in thought.

"True..." She looked at me and I used my best I'm-an-innocent-boy-that-you-couldn't-possibly-hurt look. "I guess," she dragged the words out slowly, like she wasn't sure she would follow through on what she was saying.

"Promise," I asked. She nodded but didn't say anything. We sat in silence for awhile. I didn't know if she would keep her word, but I did know one thing, I would be watching her for the rest of the night.
I'm a JESUS FREAK!!!

199 Reviews

Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm
Apple says...

Iggy Freeman:

Trapeze artists flipped through the air, their shiny costumes glinted in the light as they arched their backs and let go of the large swings to fly across towards the other trapeze artists. I felt my eyes grow wide like saucers. They moved liquidly through the air like birds...

"It's so beautiful." I muttered.

I could feel Daemon looking at me from the corner of his eyes. Did he believe me? He hadn't tried to flee yet, that was a good thing. I surpressed a cunning smile and forced myself to watch three little girls cartwheeling onto the stage. They all looked identical except for the different shade of voilet on their costumes. I glanced past them to see my Father looking down at his watch impatiently. My heart drop. He wasn't having fun!

Mum craned her neck back to see where I was. I had told her I needed to go to the bathroom when I spotted Daemon snatching popcorn from the little kid. I'd have to go back soon, but it the near end of the circus, I could stay up here for a while. What no one suspected would be the finale. Just before all the preformers go back stage, I'll stand up and yell about the Robin Hood.

I gulped searching for the pair of cops. I was going to turn him in and then...then Father would finally notice me! Daemon placed the popcorn packet under my nose, and nudged me.

"Want some?" he asked coolly, his eyes following after what my cousin would call a blonde babe shaking her hips and smiling at a chorus of whooping that followed! I dug out a few and quickly popped them into my mouth. "No thankyou?"

I turned and looked at him. "Thanks," I tried to smile innocently but something in the glint of his eye made me feel that he didn't trust me. Dammit, I was coming on to strong!

"For our final act, we'd like two voulenteers!" A heavy voice called over the speaker. Looking up at it, I could feel my heart racing. "The large light will scan across the circus room, if it lands on you...do I have to say anymore?" I watched the large light began to wash over the crowd heading towards me. Daemon grabbed at the back of my neck and pushed me down so it looked like out seats were empty.

"What are you doing?!" I snapped.

"What do you think!?" he replied, "I can't get caught!"

I felt the light engulf the both of us and for a sickening minute I thought it had stopped. Glancing upwards, it had. I felt my heart suddenly stop beating, this just ruined my plan. Daemon jittered in his seat quickly looking around for an escape.

"Who has the light landed on?" The heavy voice came again, this time with a sarcastic snark to it.

"I can't go on!" Daemon muttered. I looked around to see people watching us.

"Here, take my beanie." Pulling it from my head, I handed it down to him. "Take your jumper off, also. Oh and make sure the beanie pinches down your hair so it covers your face." I stood up instantly, giving Daemon some time to get ready. Why was I help him? A criminal? I gulped heavily and waved at the crowd trying my best at a smile.

"And the other person?" the voice asked. Daemon stood up, keeping his head down.

Suddenly the lights dimmed and a red fog began to drift across the ground. I felt hands suddenly clasp around my wrists and pull me up. I let out a yelp and the lights suddenly flickered onto me. "Show time," a voice yelled.
I spy!

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns