z

Young Writers Society

Playing With Fire

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:45 pm
Chupatoasta says...

**Okay, so I've been thinking about this for a while and I really need a fellow writer with it**

America has fallen into the Pre-Civil war times and many families don't know what to do. With the men leaving home left and right to protect their own rights, the women are left with no protection whatsoever. Kingsley Barnes, however, is doing something that nobody would expect from the great great grandson of a once great Revolutionary War commander.

That's right.

He's taking his children, Benjamin and Storm Barnes and moving west. He's running from the coming war. He wishes to have no part in it, and he refuses to let his daughter stay home and 'hold the fort' as she had stated so boldly.

Benjamin Barnes is seventeen, tall and handsome. Every girls dream. Too bad he's heading out west like a scum bag to hide from the war. He doesn't like it at all and thinks its more dangerous with all the murderous indians that the war will be.

Storm is another story. She's sixteen and always looking for adventure. She often gets on her brother's nerves with her constant begging to take her with him where ever he goes so she's not left to do all the chores. Now, however, she's laughing in her brothers face because he has to do all the hard work.

Farther to the northwest, over one hudred miles away from the Barnes' farm that they're leaving behind resides a Native American Sioux tribe. They're very harsh to 'white men' as they refer to people of light skin tone, and don't take kindly to strangers. Their leader is Ptebloka Nahtaka, or Kicking Bull as he's referred to and he's different than other leaders. He allows white men to speak their reason for being in his land before killing them, or letting them go.

Kicking Bull's eldest son, Tokala Oiyokpa, or Dark Fox, is eighteen winters old, and much more vengeful against the white man. He wants no part of them and wishes them all the worst.

What happens when the Barnes family and the Sioux tribe cross paths? What happens when Storm Barnes and Dark Fox show their feelings towards each other?

What will happen I wonder?

Dark Fox (Tokala Oiyokpa)

Storm Barnes

~~

“Storm! Come now, Father’s getting angry!” Storm glared at the direction her brother’s tired voice was coming from as she bathed in a small creek. Personally, she didn’t care how angry they were. After all, it had been her father that told her to bathe. It wasn't her choice. Her horse, Quickstep, was on the bank a little ways down, drinking to his content before he moved on to eat some grass. Storm massaged her scalp, closing her eyes as she tilted her head back, letting the cool water rinse through her hair. She opened her blue eyes slowly and stepped out of the water, grabbing her towel and drying off. She slipped into her change of clothes and pulled her hair up into a bun before laying a hat over it. She whistled softly to Quickstep, who was automatically at her side.

"Hey boy," she smiled, running a slim hand down his nose before swinging herself onto his back. She led him off in a soft trot, meeting back with her bother and father.

"Again with the men's clothing Storm? Had I not known it was my daughter coming at us I probably would have shot you down." Her father teased, snapping the reigns on the two horses that pulled him and his wagon, which her brother was inside of, sleeping.

"I think wearing this is safer than wearing some dress. Dreadful things if I do say so myself." Her father chuckled and shook his head, the wagon picking up a little speed. "We're entering some indian territory aren't we father?" Storm asked softly, her eyes staring straight at smoke that was rising a little to the north.

"I'm afraid so," her father, Kingsley Barnes sighed.

"We'll be alright!" She clarified with a cheeky grin. "Won't we?" Her father never replied, only kept his eyes locked on the invisible path before him.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:57 am
View Likes
RayneChild says...

Dark Fox waited quietly in the tall amber grass that coated the plains. He was completely alert and attentive, waiting to hear the mock-bird call from one of his fellow hunters.

Coo, coo. Coo.

He tugged at the head of his spear, making sure it was securely fastened to the thin wooden pole it had been tied to. He crawled silently to the peak of the hill and gazed down at the huge buffalo. It was completely oblivious to all of the hunters that waited quietly around it. Then, their plan fell into action.

Dark Fox stood slowly and snuck up behind the creature with dead silent footsteps. Then, another hunter exposed himself and walked towards the buffalo from the front, so as to spook it. In an attempt to get away, the beast turned around, only to be attacked by Dark Fox. After which, all the hunters in the party attacked the creature and took it down.

They tied it to a couple poles that were strapped to some horses. Dark Fox mounted his painted black horse, Nightsong, and the others did the same. They dragged the fallen beast back to the tribe, where a group of women quickly began skinning it and preparing it for the feast. He stood by and watched them for a moment before going off to find his wolven companion, Windtail.

He trekked the golden hills for a couple minutes before he found her. Quite a stunning sight, she had an unusual color combination of dark tan and rust. Except, of course, for her tail, which was white. And she had the most captivating pale blue eyes. Dark Fox found her toying with a field mouse amongst some shrubs and tanned bushes. He smiled and howled softly.

Windtails ears twisted around madly when she heard the sound. Her head rocketed up and her beautiful eyes landed on her human friend. She raced towards him and tackled the adolescent boy. She licked his face happily and he laughed out loud.

He gently pushed her off and stood. "Come, Windtail. We have caught an excellent meal, and there will be a big feast tonight."

Windtails ears twitched and her tongue lolled out of her mouth happily. Her snowy white tail swished with excitement and she accompanied Dark Fox back to his tribe. A fire was now burning brightly and pieces of the hunters' kill was being roasted over it.

The boy went to Kicking Bull who welcomed him with wide open arms. "Son."

"Father," greeted Dark Fox with a smile.

Windtail hung back until pieces of the buffalo were being passed around. Kicking Bull received three pieces, all of which were judged by the odd wolf as too big for any one man. So, after an epic game of tug-of-war, she won one of the pieces for herself and pranced over to Dark Fox to enjoy her prize. After all of the tribe members had gotten their fill, they danced around the fire, a celebratory dance that celebrated their prosperity and good health.

And yet, though he laughed and sang with his tribe, way deep down, Dark Fox had an uneasy feeling that made him feel like the future of the tribe would soon change forever.
Singing: It's more than my forte; it's my fortissimo
---
They say "Guns don't kill people. People kill people."
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

23 Reviews

Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:33 am
Chupatoasta says...

Storm couldn't help but feel the slightest bit queasy. Her father had called Benjamin from his nap to sit in the front of the wagon with him, and had even given Storm permission to take hold of her shot gun, purely for safety purposes. A large, furry, white and silver head stuck out of the front of the wagon, ears pricked and tongue lolling out of its mouth. Storm shook her head with a smile at her family's Irish Wolfhound, Blade, who barked right in her brother's ear.

Benjamin's seventeen year old self let out a shot and he jumped to the left, falling off the wagon. Storm let out a loud and short laugh, her father grinning and shaking his head. Benjamin, in a snap of rage, shooed the large wolfhound out of the wagon and climbed back up. Storm glared at him and slid off her horse, walking beside Blade and next to Quickstep.

"What in God's name are you doing girl?" Kingsley Barnes questioned, shaking his head.

"If Blade must walk, then so shall I. Besides, I need the exercise. I've been sitting for the passed two weeks!" She smiled brightly at her father and ran ahead, Blade barking shrilly from beside her. She reached down, scratching behind his ears. She grinned back at her father, who was watching her with worried eyes, before disappearing into the dense grass of the plains.

"Storm!" Her father called lowly as he looked everywhere for any signs of danger.

Storm laughed loudly and ran through the grass, the soft wind blowing the stray hair off her face when she finally came to a patch of thinner grass. She popped her head up, waving at her father who was only a few hundred feet back, and disappeared into the grass again.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 am
RayneChild says...

Dark Fox lay next to his dormant family, very much awake. Windtail twitched in her sleep on account of some unusual dream, then lay still once more. The boy glanced at her for a minute before shifting his gaze back to the intersection of the sticks that made up his odd little home. He closed his eyes only for a moment, then heard a shifting, rustling sound from beside him.

He opened one eye and looked at where Windtail had been lying. But she wasn't there; she had gotten up. Dark Fox sat up quickly and there, in the teepee's opening, stood the peculiar wolf, staring into the distance with one paw raised up. Her ears twitched ever so often and her nostrils were flaring madly as she smelled the air. He raised an eyebrow and crawled towards her.

Though she heard him approaching, she didn't move an inch. Dark Fox followed her gaze to dark, empty plains. He ruffled the fur on Windtails head and yet, she stayed perfectly still. Just as he was about to crawl back into his makeshift bed, the wolf took off at a slow trot in the direction she had been staring in.

"Windtail!" Dark Fox hissed urgently.

She paid no mind to him and continued on her journey. He sat in the opening and watched after her, and didn't move until she came galloping back down the hill, through the black of the night, towards him. His eyes widened when he realized that she wasn't about to slow down until she was safe inside the tiny sanctuary.

She shoved him out of the way and cantered inside, curling up against the far wall and staring wide-eyed at the opening. Dark fox was a little concerned, but decided not to venture out and see what had stirred his friend up. He crawled back towards his bed where Windtail was waiting anxiously.

Just as he sat down, she began jumping at him crazily, making soft whimpering sounds and clawing roughly at him. At this point, he was very confused. Never, even when she actually was playful, had he seen Windtail act this way. It was times like this when Dark Fox desperately wished that he could communicate with animals.
---
Well, I think guns help. If you just stand there and yell BANG I don't think you're going to kill too many people...

23 Reviews

Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:47 pm
Chupatoasta says...

As Storm and Blade trampled through the tall grass Blade stopped short, ears pricked and fur on his back raised. He let out a short bark and shot into the grass as his side, barking and growling loudly. Storm took hold of her shotgun, chasing the silver dog through the plains. As she neared the clearing he stood at she saw what he had been barking at. A wolf stood across the small clearing from Blade, growling just as loud. Storm stepped into the clearing, the wolf instantly stopping its harsh noise.

The she-wolf's ears lowered, her eyes wide and locked in on Storm's gun that she held in her hand. Storm smiled softly, laying a hand on Blade's head. He instantly ceased his barking, sitting down attentively. Storm kneeled on the ground and laid her gun down softly, eyes dancing across the wolf's beautiful form. Right as she went to take a slow step closer to the wolf her brother burst into the clearing, tripping over Blade and landing with a loud slam. At the same time his gun went off into the night, spooking the wolf who shot back into the plains.

Blade let out another bark, chasing the wolf. Storm let out a whistle and Blade stopped. Storm kicked her brother in the side playfully and stood up, grabbing her gun and running after Blade, who was stopped in from of a much larger clearing. Storm dropped down onto her stomach, crawling on her elbows the rest of the way until she was next to the wolfhound, her blue eyes wide as she stared at the indian tents before her. A fire was in the middle of them all, slowly burning. Benjamin collapsed next to Storm, wheezing for air. "Father," he took a gasp of air, "set up camp and he wants," another breath, "you to come back before the indians find you." Storm glared at her brother and looked back at the indian settlement, studying everything there.

It was amazing. Yet, she could push the feeling that something bad was going to happen.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:00 pm
RayneChild says...

**Sorry again for taking so long :oops:

Just as Windtail was finally starting to settle down, a loud bang rang out across the plains. All of Dark Fox's family awoke with fear, and they looked around frightfully.

Kicking Bull stood up slowly and crept towards the door flap of their tent. Dark Fox was right behind him. His father crawled out silently and stood in the direction of that horrible noise. Windtail pawed at Dark Fox's foot, as though pleading for him not to leave. She whimpered softly. He gently pushed her paw away and peered out of the flap.

A thin layer of smoke rose from a clearing not far off. There were quiet, whispering voices. His eyes widened. He knew there were only two possibilities. One, was a neighboring, or even rival, tribe. The other was the white man. Dark Fox looked up at his father. Kicking Bull was staring intently at the rising smoke, clearly deep in thought.

Windtail nudged Dark Fox gently. He turned around for a second to look at her, then joined his father outside the tepee. The brown and red wolf trotted slowly out of the tent and towards the sounds, turning only for a brief second to growl a quiet invitation to Dark Fox to join her.

He looked at his father, who nodded without looking away from the plains in the distance. The boy hunched over a little and moved swiftly towards Windtail, who started moving again once her friend was by her side. They both made their way silently towards the voices, ever alert.
---

23 Reviews

Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:17 am
Chupatoasta says...

**Wow... I forgot about this and I'm so sorry! I feel horrible!**

"What if one of them finds us!" Benjamin asked frightfully, his voice in a whisper. Storm glared at the older boy and pinched his nose inbetween her thumb and forefinger.

"If you shut up, they won't find us! If you keep talking, they will! It's as simple as that! I swear to god if that gun is loaded for a second shot I will take it and shoot you!" She hissed, her brother's eyes suddenly staring up above her. Blade was beside her in seconds, snarling angrily. Storm slowly spun around the hat on her head falling to the side slightly as she stared up at the dark shadow behind her.

The moonlight danced across the figure, Blade's growling getting louder, and showed each of its features. Storm could tell it was a man just from his build, but she didn't think he'd be this tall. He had long, silky black hair that she just wanted to touch, and a tea-like complexion. His muscles were obvious, and his eyes were dark with mystery. Storm couldn't help but sit their dumbly, staring up at the majestic indian man. She had never seen one up close, and despite what her father warned her about, she literally couldn't move to get up and move.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 10:50 pm
View Likes
RayneChild says...

**Getting this back on track ^^

Over the hill, Dark Fox spied two people. They were obviously close in age, around the same as his own. A big silver dog was next to them. They were just lying on the ground, motionless, watching him. Beside him, Windtail turned her head to one side. Her tail swished slowly as she watched the creatures that had once scared her away.

Dark Fox's eyes narrowed with suspicion and distrust. He knealt to the ground, but stayed put, knowing they had already seen him. Windtail, becoming anxious, crept towards them. Dark Fox's attention was immediately drawn to the foolish animal. He grabbed at her tail again and again, but she continued to ignore him.

Her moonlit eyes were transfixed on the figures. One of them, the girl, slowly began to rise. Dark Fox, clearly angered by this, took a couple steps forward without rising. Windtail slowed her pace as she got closer and closer to the girl. Her guardian stayed far back, but ever alert. Just before the wolf reached the human, she froze and began to tense, suddenly - finally - becoming cautious.
---

23 Reviews

Sat May 29, 2010 11:15 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Storm turned her crystal blue eyes skyward, taking in the full moon and the millions of stars that blanketed the dark sky. It's no time to get dreamy. Her mind growled, Storm stiffening at the sound of an animal's light scenting. She, without bringing her chin down from when she was looking at the sky, glanced over towards the tall grass beside her, the moon shining down on two sets of animalistic eyes, and then another set, more humanly.

Run Storm! Grab Ben and run!

Her mind was screaming, but with vigor, she gazed back at the two being staring up at her, all her fear fading away for that one split second.

Disrupting the silence, Benjamin shot his gun, grabbed Storm's wrist, and took off back to their father's camp, Storm dragging across the ground more than running. She heard an indian yell, and Benjamin shouted in terror, running faster, the native american men close behind. They were used to this, but Storm and Ben, not so much.

Ben stopped at a small valley, pointing to the open fire that illuminated their father's pacing form. "There's father."

Storm, without thinking, shoved her brother down the steep side, Blade soon following, and after seeing her father run to her brother's side and steady the older boy, she looked back into the tall grass, eyes dancing with wonder as her father's booming voice was only heard as a small sound, telling her to come to camp already, and stop being an idiot.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Sun May 30, 2010 5:05 pm
RayneChild says...

Dark Fox and Windtail were both startled by the bang that came from the long, slender tube that the white boy carried. Windtail took off back toward the camp, barking like mad, while Dark Fox simply fell over, his long dark hair falling in his face.

Sounds of his fellow warriors came to his ears and, brushing his hair away, he looked back at them. They were running down the hill, toward him. Most stopped to help him up, but a couple of them, Sparrow Wing and Howling Coyote, continued on, after the fleeing people. Dark Fox looked around at his men, then quickly followed the pursuit.

He could hear the feet of the warriors behind him as he neared the pale face's encampment.
---

23 Reviews

Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Storm, suddenly in a frantic worry, flung herself down into the valley as the men neared, whooping and yelling loudly. One foot hit the steep ground, causing Storm to roll in mid-air, her second foot hitting the side again. With a small scream, she tucked into a ball, rolling down the side of the valley, which was becoming less and less steep. She finally got her footing, and stumbling into her father, narrowly avoiding the fire, which her brother was scooping sand onto, trying to quench it. Blaze was digging a hole next to the fire, the dirt piling on the slowly dying flames.

Her father grabbed her arm, and pulled her, along with Ben, behind the wagon, the moon only catching movement of everything. They were all still, trying to stiffle their breathing in fear.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2010 12:22 am
RayneChild says...

Dark Fox chased after Sparrow Wing and Howling Coyote, crying out loud just as they were. He was now determined to catch these pale faced fiends and run them out of their home. He leaped over rocks and hills, dodging fleeing creatures and racing toward the quickly disappearing light a long way away.

Once the light had completely disappeared, all of the men and boys stopped. They caught up to each other and slowly crept toward the source. They whispered quietly to each other in their native language, things like "where did they go?" and "I know I saw the fire".

Dark Fox crept low to the ground, carefully examining things like foot prints, metal objects, and other sights and smells that were foreign to him and his people. If only Windtail had been there, she would be able to tell where the intruders had gone.
---

23 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2010 1:15 am
Chupatoasta says...

Storm had never, in her entire life, been this quiet nor still for this long, except when she was hunting. The thought of her being the prey, and the indians, the predators, chilled her too the bone. She whimpered, Ben slapping his dirty hand over her mouth. Before they could start arguing, their father hit both of them in the back of the head, his force strong enough on Ben to make the older boy fall into the dirt.

"I need you to be quiet." He hissed, eyes desperate.

One of the indians whooped a few words in their own language, their footsteps growing closer. Storm couldn't let them near her family, she just couldn't. They were all she had left.

So, with newfound determination, Storm grabbed her hunting knife, and removed her shoes. In her father's confusion, she kissed him and her brother on the cheeks, whispering she loved them, and she'd be alright, and suddenly, shot from her hinding place, letting out whoops that seemed to match those of the indians. She quickly weaved her way through the grass, hearing the fast footsteps behind her.
George Bernard Shaw

30 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2010 4:32 am
RayneChild says...

The sound of terrible whooping and calling drew the attention of Dark Fox and his men. Without bothering to think about all of the things it could possibly be, they all raced after it, Dark Fox leading them.

They listened closely for the rustling of the tall grass as the mysterious being moved swiftly away from them. They followed the mad rustling carefully, making absolutely sure they wouldn't lose it. They moved with great skill and agility through the vegetation, after the path cleared for them by the runner.

Then, suddenly, there came the sounds of a thump, a shriek, and the sounds of the grass being crumpled under a body. Dark Fox came to a sliding stop at the edge of a hill and watched the figure clear a path with its rolling body.
---

23 Reviews

Mon May 31, 2010 3:33 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Storm moaned in pain softly, pushing herself up on her elbows once she was done rolling down the hill. She whimpered and sat up weakly, covering her mouth to keep from gasping aloud at the odd angle her ankle was bent at. Tears sprung to her eyes. She could just lay there, and stay quiet, but they'd probably find her.

She gazed back up to the top of the hill, seeing a direct path of flattened grass leading to her resting spot. Oh yes, they'd definately find her, without a doubt. Storm mustered up the rest of her determination, and stood to her feet, painfully putting weight on her ankle, which was obviously injured.

Storm was easy prey now. Now that she was injured, anyone could tell that they'd get her, without a doubt. With a sigh, she pushed on, limping through the tall grass at a much, much slower pace.
George Bernard Shaw

Live your life how you want, but don't confuse drama with happiness.
— Ron, Parks & Rec