z

Young Writers Society

Collision [In need of a better title]

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:31 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy peered down into the cellar. She had never seen one of these. Of course Margaret's father had one to store their preservatives, or more like his alcohol, but here people really needed them.

Colton mother looked over them both making sure that nothing had happened to them. Ivy almost smiled. She and her mother were exact opposites. Her mother would have been more worried about her 'apperance' than what actually happened to her. Still, she missed her mother so much.

"I knew I shoudn't have let you go on that walk," she sighed, patting her cheek. "What your mother would have said."

"Yeah, well, I think she would have been more worried about the dirt on my skirt," Ivy smiled sadly. "Funny, I would have too, except I, you know, the tornado kind of scared that right out of me."

Ivy looked over her shoulder. There wasn't too much damage. Well, considering what she had heard about them, there wasn't as much damage as there could be.

"It won't come back will it?" She asked, nervously.

"Probably not. If there is another one it would have spun off of the tornado we just saw," Colton replied. Ivy tried not to show how much that scared her. Tornadoes had probably just taken number one for her biggest fear.

**Does the TN at the begining of your name happen to stand for the state? If so, we must be neighbors. I live in NC. ^_^ If not...well, you can just ignore that...**
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:35 am
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

***Sure does. I used to live over in NC. I lived in King and Greensbro. :P That was about 7-8 years ago.***

"Tomorrow we'll go visit the neighbors and see how bad it hit them. WE had it lucky, but we'll have barn raisings every week for the month for sure, if not house raisings." His Pa said as they walked back to the house. Colton jumped when he heard a horse running their way. He saw little ten year old Bently riding towards them from the ranch over.

"Hurry, Pa's stuck under a tree, we can't get it off him." The boy cried. Colton ran for the barn and saddled his horse as did his pa.

"Take Ivy to settle his ma." His Ma said as he rode out. He reached down for her hand.

"No time to saddle another horse." He said. She grabbed his hand and he swung her up behind him. Ella got behind his pa and they took off. Ma would take care of Bently and bring him over in a little while. Colton felt Ivy grab hold of his waist as they ran over the rough terrain. When they got to the ranch over he saw the tree that pinned Bently's pa. He quickly dismounted and helped Ivy off then ran over to where the tree was.

"It's got my legs pinned under it." The man said pain filling his voice. Colton looked around and frowned.

"We've two options. We either can cut it off him, or roll it off. Rolling will hurt his legs worse." Colton's pa said coming over and eyeing it.

"Cutting will be dangerous too. We don't have anything to use as a pully." Colton replied.

"Cut it is then." They both ran to the barn and grabbed the two man saw running back over to the man, Colton had grabbed an ax too.

"Whats that for?" His pa asked.

"I was thinking to make it lighter by choping some off, but chopping will hurt him worse." He said it aside and they started sawing. WHen they finished one side they moved to the other so they cut a small section that was right on him. When they were done they looked at the tree, it wasn't a small one. They tied a rope to the top of the tree and hooked it to their horses and had it pulled away.

"Alright, we have to lift that off. Ella, Ivy, come here." The girls walked over and Colton looked at his pa. "Y'all need to pull him free when me and Colton pick up that log, alright. You'll have to do it quickly."
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:43 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I've lived in NC all my life. Raliegh, NC actually. It's nice to have more southern writers here. (:**

Ivy looked down at the man. He looked like he was in so much pain. Her pale blue eyes widened and she looked frantically at the others. They seemed determined. She had to help.

"Alright," Ivy said as she and Ella grabbed the man's upper body. He was heavy and her arms were weak. Ella's strong arms gripped the man easily. Ivy pursed her lips.

"Hurry," Colton grunted after he and his father picked up the log. She tugged but Ella did most of the work.

The man groaned a little. There was no denying that he was in pain now. The move had definitely hurt him.

"Are you alright?" Ivy asked, softly kneeling.

"Yeah, never better," the man replied, trying to laugh through the pain. She remembered the days her mother made her sit through her classes learning proper English and mathmatics. Ivy had learned one other thing as well. Basic healing.

"Allow me," she smiled, bending over his legs. "If I could just have a look."

Ivy didn't wait for the man to answer. It's not like there was much for him right now anyway. Her long fingers pressed gently against his skins. Based off the rapid inhalation something obviously hurt.

"There's obvious bruising and swelling. Though it shouldn't hurt when I probe it gently like that. It's either broken or fractured. It's too hard to tell right now. We can prevent further damage to your muscles, ligaments, and even your bone if we could put it in a simple splint," Ivy suggested, not looking up.

"So what now?" Ella asked. She looked up from the man's leg. Everyone was obviously worried about him. She was no doctor but if she had learned one thing back home it was that she was good at healing others. Even if that was the only thing she was good at.

"We need wood. Please...you have to trust me," Ivy begged. Her eyes found Colton. He had to understand that this was in the man's best interest.

**Sorry I forgot to mention this...maybe I did...oh well, but Ivy wants to become a doctor. Sorry if that part was a bit random. Just wanted to get that in there. (:**
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:04 pm
TNCowgirl says...

***Thats fine, but he had a tree fall on his legs, their broke. :P ***

Colton grabbed a branch off the tree and took all the limbs off and handed it to her. "That is strong enough for a splint." He said when he grabbed another. He pulled his belt off and his dad gave him his. "Use these to tie it."

"I know." She said softly as she did the left leg. Colton got two more sticks and Bently's ma brought out cloth to tie together the other one.

"Lets make a gurney and get him inside." Pa said. They worked together quickly with some polls and a sheet and gently moved the man over. It was easier for Pa and Colton sense they were stronger. They got him inside while Ella went to get the doctor.

"You did good." Colton said looking at Ivy.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:47 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy narrowed her eyes, suspiciously. That sounded strangely like a compliment.

"Thank you," she replied. "I learned it from my teacher back home."

Colton nodded and Ivy surpressed a yawn. She still needed to ask Colton a few more questions.

"Do you think Winston's alright?" She asked, biting her bottom lip a little. "I mean no one else is hurt are they?"

"Hard to tell. I'm sure we're not the only ones that got hit by this," Colton responded. "But I'm sure that he's just fine."

For some reason Ivy wasn't comforted. She imagined a small little girl trapped by a tree just as that man was. It caused her stomach to roll.

"But no one will...no one will be fatally injured, right?" She asked.

Colton cocked an eyebrow. "You've really never witnessed a tornado have you?"

Ivy shook her head.

"Well, they are extremely dangerous. We always hope for the best but their always seems to be someone who was in the wrong place at the worng time," he sighed, frowning now.

Ivy turned away. That was horrible! She had never, ever saw something this terrible at home!

"I suppose I should go back now. There's not much more I can do, right?" she questioned. Ivy patted her damp hair and tried the sweep the mud off the bottom of her dress. What her mother would say if she could see her now.

110 Reviews

Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:41 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"I'll take you back." He said as his ma walked in with Bently, the doctor, and Ella.

"Take Ella too, she can ride my horse." His pa said. He would come back on the wagon with Ma. Colton nodded and led Ivy out to the horses where he picked her up and put her on the back of his horse before getting on. Ella got on his pa's horse and they road back to the ranch hour.

"Tomorrow we'll all ride to town. Anyone that doesn't show up to the meeting by noon we'll go out to their property to check on them." He replied as he swallowed the lump in his throat. Last year a tornado had come through that had killed the girl he was courting, it was still hard to think about sometimes.

"We'll also see who needs our help in raising their barn. The women cook while the men team up and make a game out of who can build their part of the barn faster." Ella smiled. "Then we have a dance at the end of all the barn raisings. Sometimes at every one. Depends on who is throwing it." Ella smiled.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:15 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

"That sounds fun," Ivy smiled a little. It wouldn't be like her parties at home, that was for sure, but it did remind her of them. The men would go off and do their own thing while the women cooked. Ivy grimaced. She could not cook to save her life.

"It is fun...well, as I said before, depending on who throws it," Ella replied.

Ivy saw their house and sighed with relief. She would go see Winston first. She had to see with her own eyes that he was okay.

Colton helped Ivy off the horse. He looked a little like her best friend back home. It was almost comforting, despite the fact that they both argued so much.

"I'll be right back. I'm going to...I need to rest a moment," she lied. It wasn't that Ivy didn't necessarily want them to know where she was going, she just felt childish going to check on him even after Colton said he would probably be fine.

Ella gave her a slightly suspicious look. Ivy never had been too good at lying. She nodded and walked away, towards Winston's room.

I knocked on the door. There was some scrambling and the door flung open.

"Miss. Ivy," he gasped, grabbing her hand. "You have no idea how frightened I was! The tornado came and you had vanished along with everyone else."

"I'm sorry Winston," she couldn't help but smile. "I was a bit worried as well." Ivy hugged him tightly, her arms wrapping around his large midsection.

"It be all right Miss. Ivy," he said, affectionately. "Just glad to know you're alright."

"Agreed," Ivy grinned.

"Now you'd better be off to bed and I might would wash up if I were you," Winston chuckled, plucking a leaf out of her hair. Ivy nodded and walked back to the others.

She would ask Ella where she could wash up. Then she was going to bed. She was too tired to do anything else. The sky was already dark and there was no telling what time it was.

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:01 am
TNCowgirl says...

"Pull up some water, I have a feeling she'll want a bath." Ella said as she walked ot the house.

"Yes, mother." Colton laughed after her before grabbing the bucket and hauling water from the well to the house and putting it in the kettle to warm up. Ivy walked in and over to where Ella was and asked something in a low tone.

"Colton is heating up some water. We figured you'd want to take a bath." Ella replied in her normal tone as she cleaned up some of the mess the tornado had made in the house. When Colton had gotten the water to the wash room and in the tub he let Ella show Ivy where everythign was. He washed up with some of the water he'd left in the kitchen and a rag before going to his room and going to bed.

*Grrrr, sorry it's short, my brain is still a tad frazzled. :S *
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

*It's fine (:*

Ivy gratefully washed up making sure to really scrub her hair and face. It felt good. She felt clean, something she had taken for granted at home.

She slipped into her night gown and found hers and Ella's room. As soon as her head hit the pillow she had fallen asleep.

---

"Ivy, get up," someone said, shaking her. Ivy's eyes opened to find Ella already dressed. "C'mon we let you sleep in."

Ivy groaned but got up. She found her pale yellow summer dress. This one was by far her favorite. She braided her hair in one lond braid that fell to her lower back. She didn't realy feel like doing anything else with it.

"I'm ready," Ivy said, following Ella out of their room.

"About time," she grumbled.

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:32 am
TNCowgirl says...

Colton hooked up the wagon as the girls came out. His pa helped his ma and sister up as he helped Ivy up. He then mounted his own horse and followed the wagon next to his pa that was also on his horse. If anyone didn't show they could get to their ranch faster.

When noon came all the families had shown though. Bently Wilson was the only one from his ranch sense his father would be layed up for a long time.

"Altogether we have six barns to raise and we will all need to take turns helping out at the Wilson ranch." His Pa said sense he was put in charge. "Lets figure out when we will go to each of the ranches and who will help the Wilsons first."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:11 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy could hardly keep up with what was going on. Was she supposed to volunteer to help out at Bently's farm? The very idea made her cringe. She felt sorry for him and she would help out if asked, but even so, she would get so dirty. She had never had dirt get under her nails before until now.

People were actually eager to help each other here. Back home it was a fend for yourself type of place. At least here it was friendlier.

Colton and his father were already arranging who was doing what and when. Adam, the one who had came by to tell of the bandit's the first day she arrived, was one of the first to be put down to work on his ranch.

Ivy looked from Colton to Adam. They looked quite similar. Both handsome, but Colton in a more subtle way. Adam had sharp cheekbones and piercing blue eyes. He really was quite handsome.

"Alright. I think things are settled. Now comes the work," Colton's father grinned. "Get ready!"

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:18 am
TNCowgirl says...

***I've got nothing :'( ***
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:21 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Me either. ): Time skip?

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:33 am
TNCowgirl says...

**A week later**

Colton stood back and looked at the side of the barn him, Adam, his pa, and Winston had put up. They'd finished first. His arms and face was covered in sweat and dirt.

"Looks good, men." John Barry said from next to them. "THank you for the help." It was his barn they were working on. They walked over to where the well was and pulled up some water and drank deeply of it. It tasted good. He glanced over at wher ethe women were and saw Ella and Ivy talking. Ivy was looking at Adam and he smiled.

"Do you think your pa would mind if I came to call on Ella tomorrow?" Adam asked as they moved away from the group of men.

"Not at all." Colton replied as he wiped his forehead with his arm.

"Hows that other girl doin?" He asked.

"Better, she's getting used to life here." Colton replied. "She's got a stubborn streak the size of Texas though."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:45 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

**Sorry! I had tons of work today! ):**

Ivy shuttered a little at the thought of all that work. She had seen some men cursing God only know what when he had clipped his finger, trying to help build the barns.

Ella and Ivy had actually gotten along today. She felt a little embarrassed. She had thought she was better than Ella. Ivy felt bad about that now. Ella was a decent person once you got to know her.

Colton and the others looked like they had finished their jobs. He was talking and laughing with Adam now. He stared at Ella quite a bit. Ivy smiled a little. She wondered if Ella liked him back.

This was the first time Ivy had ever felt self conscious. Back home she fit right in, but here she was different. Judging by the looks she was getting from some people, that much was obvious.

Her skin was too pale here compared to Ella. She had perfect composure and stood taller than almost every girl here. She hated it. Ironic considering that she used to pride herself on how she looked back home. Still, she had changed a little. At least she no longer carried an umbrella with her in the sun. Well, not today anyway. She was sure to get burned.

"That one looks much nicer than the other barn that was destroyed," Ella mused.

"Well, I didn't get to see much of that one, still, they did a very good job. You know, I've never seen people work like this before. It's strange to me," Ivy smiled. "In a good way, though."

"Really? How did you fix things?" Ella asked.

Ivy shrugged a little. "Well, mother always hired someone to fix the leaky roof or he broken stair. I was to be kept away from them so I never was able to see things like that. That's not exactly what I meant though. What I meant is that everyone is so freindly and helpful. That never happened where I'm from. It was a me before you kind of place."

Remember, a stranger once told you that the breeze here is something worth writing poems about.
— Shinji Moon