z

Young Writers Society

Collision [In need of a better title]

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:57 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

***Might be true, but that wouldn't do her any good at the point of a gun. Or on huge outlaws. :P Plus, the threat of bears, pumas, and other creatures is there too. To get to a pressure point you have to be able to get to them, when your tied up and the likes, not so much. I'm not even sure if pressure points were known about back then, but that doesn't matter. I'm not trying to say that she is helpless, I'm just saying that she is stupid. :P Think of the total opposite of victorian and you get western. :P Well not really, but maybe you get what I'm trying to say and doing horribly at. :P ***

Colton stopped his fists clenching. "Threats bouncing off you?" He shook his head. "Please, tell me how a puma is going to bounce right off you? Or a bear."

"PUma?" She asked looking at him like he had just said something weird.

"A mountain lion! People aren't the only things you need to watch out for. But hey if you really want to go home please go back up your things." He turned and walked into the barn. "YOU DIDN'T EVEN TAKE CARE OF YOUR HORSE!" He boomed. He took a deep breath and got ot work on taking care of the horses and putting them out to the pastures. WHere was his pa. He was really losing his patience with this girl.
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:38 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

**I get what you're saying. (; I know she's stupid, that's what I was trying to portray her actually. *blushes* I only meant that she wasn't completely helpless is all...ugh, now I'm trying to explain it but doing a horrible job at it. ^_^ You get what I mean thought, right? Oh and Ivy had actually ridden her horse down the path *blushes again*Sorry if that was confusing. We'll just say she didn't though, it'll be easier that way. (: **

Ivy sighed and sat on the dusty ground. She knew her dress would be ruined now but things were not going well. Didn't Colton realize that she couldn't go home? She was SENT here. She didn't come here of her own free will.

"Look what you've put me through, mother," Ivy sighed. The moon had risen now, which cast an eerie glow against her pale skin. The stars were scattered in small clusters and sprinkled across the sky.

Ivy leaned back. She had never seen so many stars before. It was really quite beautiful here at night. The air was cooler and the wind wasn't blowing dust up her nose. Ivy shook her head. Still, this wasn't her home. It never would be.

With her back and head laid against an old oak tree, Ivy began to hum the old lullaby her mother used to sing to her. Her mother used to sing it to her all the time when she was little. Ivy hummed it now to comfort herself and it was almost as if her mother was here.

She pulled her knees up to her chest and sobbed. It was the first time she had finally let it all out. She felt ridiculous and childish...but oddly, it felt good. She had been holding it all in since Winston had told her it was time to leave.

She lifted her head off her knees. She didn't feel like the cold and confidant Ivy Rowatt. She felt different and she didn't like it. Ivy stood but, brushing off her dress and walked back to her new 'home.'

Colton was already there, waiting. She hid her face and walked by him quickly. She didn't want to give him the satisfaction of thinking it was he who made her cry. Ivy walked back to she and Ella's room.

Ivy let down her hair. It fell in waves down to her hips. She smiled a little at the hairpin headache. Still, it felt nice to get it off the top of her head.

Silently she changed into her nightgown and slid into the spare bed, made just for her. She needed unconsciousness. She needed to just go to sleep and not feel anything.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:28 am
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

****:D I get it. Lets just write and see where it goes without any worries. :P ****

Colton stayed up until his ma and sister came home. He walked out and put their horses away and then carried Ella who had fallen asleep on a bail of hay when she had dismounted into the house.

"Lay her on her bed, then you go to bed too." His ma said as his pa walked in behind her. He nodded and laid Ella on her bed keeping his back to where the other bed was. Ella woke up and yawned.

"Go back to bed." He smiled down at her. Then turned and left the room. He sat in front of the fire with his parents for a few minutes before he went to his room and fell asleep.

Colton thought about the girl in the room down the hall. He'd been rude to her today and he needed to apologize but there was just something about her that drove him up the wall. But something about her.....he couldn't put his finger on it. He took a deep breath and went to sleep.

The next morning he walked down the hall to the kitchen where Ella and his ma were cooking breakfast while Ivy helped set the table and cook.

"Smells good." His pa said walking in as Colton walked out to the chicken coop and got the eggs and milk and brought them in to the women. His ma took the eggs and he handed the milk to Ella.

"Alright, its done. Lets eat." Ella said as they set the food on the table. HIm and his pa sat down and they prayed them passed around the food.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:16 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

**Alright. Though, what's Colton and Ella's last name? I feel weird saying 'their mother' etc. ^^**

Ivy didn't really want anything to eat. It would be rude to just sit there and not take anything so she scooped a little bit of eggs on her plate and ate very slowly.

"Is that all you want, Ivy?" Their mother asked. She nodded, smiling a little.

"Yes ma'am. Really, I'm not hungry," I said, quietly. Ivy had never gotten up this early at home. She could feel her hair coming out of her bun from where she had put it up, half asleep.

"Have you seen Winston?" Ivy asked, wiping her fingers on he napkin. The food tasted odd here. She didn't know what it was, and she didn't know if she liked it or not.

"I'm sure he's fine, Ivy," she replied. Ivy blinked. It was quiet and everyone had been giving her strange looks. Probably because of what happened yesterday.

"May I be excused?" She asked. "I need to speak to Winston."

"Breakfast isn't over, I'm sure it can wait." It was the first time Colton had spoken. I glared at him.

"Yes. I realize that, but I need to speak to Winston as soon as possible, about something, personal," Ivy said, emphasizing the last word. It wasn't exactly a lie and it wouldn't be in good manners to ask what she needed to speak to him about.

"Of course, Ivy," their father sighed. "Go on."

Ivy stood abruptly and walked, quickly out of the room. Winston was probably out back. She knew from previous experiences that he loved the outdoors.

"Miss. Ivy!" He boomed. "What a pleasant surprise!"

"Hello, Winston," she smiled, brightly. It was always good to hear a familiar voice. This had already cheered her up, greatly.

"Is something wrong?" He asked. "You don't look much like yourself, Miss."

"I've had...a few little crisis' lately," she laughed. "Not much to worry about. I'm sure it will take a while to adjust."

"Well, you let me know if somethen' is ever wrong," Winston grinned, cheerfully. "Now, tell me, what's the meaning of this visit."

"Well, I-" She paused. "I kind of just needed someone to talk to. You know, a famliar voice. I've been so homesick."

"I understand, Miss. Ivy," he nodded solemly. "You're mother tol' me you'd be this way. Would you fancy a little stroll? Maybe it'll cheer you up a bit?"

Ivy nodded vigorously. "Thank you Winston. You don't know how much more at home I feel. I would love a little walk with you."

Ivy grabbed Winston's hand, just like she used to do when they were little and started down the path she had went down twice now. Winston was like a father to her. When her own dad had died, he had stepped up and was played the fatherly role. To her, Winston was family, not help. Ivy squezzed his fleshy hand, glad for a little comfort.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 am
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

****Uh...........Smith :PAnything works.****

Colton didn't look at his parents as he ate. When he finished they went their ways. Ma and Ella cleaned the dishes as he walked out to the barn and took care of the horses and then rode out and checked the fences.

"Whats with you lately?" His pa asked.

"I don't like her." He replied. "She just grates on me." He replied taking a deep breath.

"She'll take time getting used to. Eastern women normally do." Pa replied with a nod. "Once she settles in it'll be better."

"I hope your right. Cause she's about to drive me up the wall." He replied as he dismounted and started on one of the fences. THey didn't have many up, just a few for the sick animals. Fences weren't really needed.

"Just wait, we'll see what happens."
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy tilted her face up to the sun. Normally she carried an umbrella to protect her fair skin, but she didn't see how it mattered anymore.

"How have you been holding up, Winston?" Ivy asked, happier than she had been in awhile.

"Not too bad, Miss. Ivy," he replied. "My only concern is making sure you aren't too unhappy with your stay here."

"Well, that might be a waste of your efforts," she grumbled.

"What's that?" he asked, bemused. "And why would that be?"

"One word. Colton," Ivy frowned.

"That boy who helped carry your luggage?" Winston questioned.

"Yes, him," she said, putting her nose in the air. "And frankly, I don't wish to waste anymore time on him. Could we switch the subject."

"Certainly, Miss. Ivy," he sighed, apparently wanting to know more. "Though, I suppose we do need to go back and help with the chores."

"Chores?" she asked, horrified. "I never did any chores at home!"

Winston chuckled. "Ay, but here Miss. Ivy, things are different. You're going to get those pretty little hands dirty here."

"Well, that's just perfect," she pouted. "What has mother done to me?"

"Maybe it's a blessing in disguise," he suggested.

"I highly doubt, that, Winston," Ivy smiled. "Though I do admire your positive attitude."

Ivy and Winston headed back to their new house, joking and smiling. She saw Colton and his father out working on something so she hurriedly bid Winston goodbye and went in the house.

Inside Ella and her mother were working on the dishes. Ivy took a deep breath and did the unthinkable.

"Is there anything I could help with?" She asked, eyeing the dirty dishes.

Ella laughed. "Look, ma, she probably hasn't worked a day in her life."

Ivy frowned a little. "Hm, I consider that a good thing. Just as you have probably never been a true lady in your life," she snapped.

"Girls," their mother scolded. "That is enough. Ivy, you could wipe down the tables and here in the kitchen, if you'd like."

She nodded and got to work. Maybe a little bit of chores would take her mind off of other things she'd rather not think about.

110 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:33 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

At lunch time Colton walked into the house and washed his hands in the basin of water. He walked over to the table and sat down as the rest of the family did.

"ow did the morning go?" His ma asked.

"Good, we didn't have to much of the fence to fix after that bull we kept in there." His pa replied. Colton didn't say anything, he was hungry. He listened to the lull of conversation as he ate.

"Colton, I'll need you to go back to town, there were some things that I forgot on my list. You'll take the girls so that they can get out of the house for a little while." His ma said. He looked up at her and nodded.

"Yes, Ma'am." He finished his food and leaned back in his chair. After they all finished he helped clear the table then went and hooked up the wagon. He brought it up to the house as Ella and Ivy stepped out the door.

"Why is Black tied to the back of the wagon?" Ella asked.

"Cause you'll ride him. I'm going to teach Ivy how to drive a wagon incase she ever needs to." He replied as he untied Black and led him over to his sister. Ella mounted up and once he knew she was secure he turned to Ivy. "Up we go." He lifted her up onto the seat of the wagon and then went around and sat next to her grabbing up the reins.

"Now. You'll hold one in each hand." He showed her how to hold them and noticed how she barely touched the leather. "You'll need a tighter grip on them."

"If I ever need to go somewhere I'll ride a horse." She ground out.

"Unless you have someone who is sevierly injured or sick." He replied. "Now it's just like riding a horse, or do you not want to learn?"
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:17 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy couldn't deny that she did want to learn. Instead of answering Colton she did as he asked, wrapping her fingers around the rubbery leather.

"So I take it, you're going to listen?" He asked, almost smug. Ivy ground her teeth, ignoring that comment. There was no point in arguing with him. As far as she could tell, Colton didn't listen to anyone but himself. He couldn't see reason.

"It's not polite to not respond," he replied. She couldn't tell if he was mocking her or not.

"Yes, I will listen," she sighed, slightly annoyed.

Colton didn't say anything else. Ivy decided it was better this way and chose not to even glance at him. She would only look foward and-

"Watch out!" Colton yelled, grabbing the reins from her. There was another wagon and Ivy was heading straight for it.

He changed the wagon's course, avoiding the other wagon as nimbly as possible. Ivy wished they hadn't have just dumped her carriage. It didn't move so roughly.

"You need to watch the road while driving this! I thought that much was obvious. That could have been really ugly, Ivy," he scolded.

She scooted away from him. "I'm sorry, okay," she sighed. "What do you want me to do? Throw myself off the carriage."

"No, you just need to pay more attention," said Colton, irratated.

"I. Am. Sorry." Ivy turned her head from him before he could say anything else.

110 Reviews

Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

"Keep your eyes up. OK? The horses trust you not to injure them, so don't." He handed her the reins back and clenched his teeth. If they hadn't gone around that turn so tightly they wouldn't have had to get out of the way so fast. He didn't say anything though.

They made it safely back into town and he got down then picked her up and set her on the ground as Ella rode over. He pulled her off Black's back and then tied the horse to the wagon.

"I need to visit, Mrs. Burkley." Ella said before disappearing. Colton led Ivy into the store and handed the list of things his mother needed to the owner.

"Good day, Colton, and who may I ask is this?" The man asked.

"Mr. White, this is Miss Ivy, she is staying with us for a while." He replied.

"Please, just Ivy." Ivy said curtising to the man.

"Ma'am." He ducked his head and then went to get the things off the list.

"This is quiant." She said as she followed Colton through the store.

"Yes." Colton replied as he grabbed a few things him and his pa would need. He also grabbed a bolt of fabric for his ma and sister.
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:20 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy wasn't even going to try and make conversation with Colton anymore. He was a hopeless case. She turned away from him and walked away.

Ivy scanned up and down the small store. Back home there were dozens and dozens of isles. Her favorite to look down was the one filled with sweets. She didn't eat them anymore. They were for children, still they were so pretty with intricate frosting designs on the front.

Ivy smiled. As a girl, she would stare longingly at those candies. Her father would catch her and shake his head, smiling. He could never be disappointed in Ivy, no matter what she did. He would touch her nose and tell her all that sugar would rot her teeth. Still, her father would take a handful and, together, they would eat them after dinner.

The memory almost brought Ivy to tears. She missed him so much. She missed everyone.

Ivy walked around a little more. This place wasn't too different from the stores back home. They were much, much smaller, but they still resembled each other. It was refreshing.

**Sorry! I was grounded! ):**

110 Reviews

Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:43 am
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

***thats fine, I've been busy.***

Colton got the order and carried it out to the wagon as Ella walked over.

"Did you get everything?" She asked.

"Yup, we better head home, it looks like a storm." He said as Ivy walked out. He picked her up and set her on the seat and then jumped in himself as Ella got on Black. They turned down the road and started at a quick pace. He decided to drive back so that they might make it back before the storm. Colton felt Ivy jump and move a little closer to him. He let the horses pick up the pace as they went down the road. Just as it started to rain hard and thunder real bad they pulled up to the house. Colton stopped in front of it and dropped off Ivy and Ella before taking the horses to the barn and putting them up. He made a mad run for the house before it started to hail.

**Sorry, long long day**
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:51 am
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

Ivy sat inside, her hands folding over her lap. Ella and her mother were working on something in the corner.

Ivy stood up, as graceful as ever, and addressed Mrs. Smith. "Excuse me, I know the weather conditions aren't...ideal, but may I go outside for a bit?"

"Wouldn't it be better if you waited until the storm was over?" She asked, bemused. Ivy sighed. No one had ever understood why she liked storms. She wasn't afraid of them like her mother. She loved them.

"Yes, well, I only wanted to see Winston," Ivy lied. She wasn't very good at it and based off the looks Ella and her mother gave her, they knew it too.

"Well, if you must, be I'd advise you to wait," Mrs. Smith responded, obviously cautious and wanting her to just stay put.

Ivy gave a small smile and walked outside. She had her umbrella opened over her head. Too bad it was too late to realize it was her thin, lace umbrella which did nothing against the rain.

Ivy laughed, a sound that sounded foreign to her ears. It had been a while since she had actually laughed. She did it again.

Rain pelted her face, arms and torso. It felt good. It felt like she was...home.

"Ivy!" Someone yelled. She turned back to the person who interrupted her. Of course...it was Colton. Only, it wasn't just Colton. There was something much more dangerous.

Ivy stood frozen. Off into the distance, beyond Colton and their house, was the begining of a tornado.

110 Reviews

Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:42 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Colton looked towards the storm cellar where his ma, pa, and sister were. The tornado was almost between them and it though. He ran and grabbed Ivy running for the ditch that ran along the barn. He pushed Ivy in it and laid ontop of her curled up form praying they'd make it. He was careful he didn't crush her as he felt the wind pick up.

Just as quickly as it came it was gone. He pushed himself up and looked around. There was a path not but ten feet from where they were running between the house and the barn, they had been lucky it was so small. Ivy still hadn't moved. He reached down and picked her up.

"You ok?" He asked looking over her face. She opened her eyes that were sealed shut.

"Fine." She replied.

"You sure? I didn't hurt you when I pushed you in the ditch did I?" He asked
Want a Readers crit???

54 Reviews

Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:35 pm
View Likes
WhiteTiger93 says...

"No. Of course not," Ivy replied, her concentration on trying to stop trembling. She patted her dress half-heartedly, attempting to clean in up a little.

"I'm fine, completely fine," she smiled weakly. Ivy was about to let him, or anyone for that matter, see how shaken up she was. She just hoped it wasn't too obvious.

Ivy ran her shaking fingertips over her hair. Most of it had fallen out of the clip. She could only imagine what it looked like. Instead of trying to fix it, she took it out of the clip.

She looked at Colton and groaned internally. He was going to make her say it, wasn't it.

"Thank you," Ivy sighed, reluctantly and tried to change the subject. "Where's your family. Are they alright?"

110 Reviews

Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:56 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

"Their in the ground cellar and they'll be fine." he replied when he figured out she was talkign to him. She was really beautiful, and when she'd taken her hair down like that he couldn't think straight. He shook his head and walked to the cellar and opened it up.

"Is it gone?" His ma asked. "Are you two ok?"

"We're fine, it's gone." he replied as they came out.
***Gotta go back out to cmap. :'( *****
Want a Readers crit???

A diamond is merely a lump of coal that did well under pressure.
— Unknown