z

Young Writers Society

War of the Tsurekin

103 Reviews

Reviews: 103
Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm
Dynamo says...

The alarm blared in Kai's apartment, signalling the start of a new day. He reached over to his bedside table to switch it off before sitting up. He swung his legs over the side of his bed.

The room was quiet, as well as the rest of the apartment. Kai was used to the silence. Ever since his parents died when he was fifteen he had lived alone. Well... almost alone.

Kai hopped out of bed and began to walk toward the door. Not even two steps away from the bed he tripped over something and landed face first on the floor. He looked over his shoulder to see Ryukin laying at the foot of his bed, with his tail outstretched to trip over.

Ryukin was a robotic dragon about the size of a large dog. He was red and yellow all over, with a few blue stripes running down the length of his body. His head was shaped like the head of an arrow, with eyes that turned pitch black when he's asleep, and glows bright yellow when he's awake. Thanks to Kai stumbling over his tail, Ryukin was now awake.

Kai sighed. "Ryukin, how many times have I told you not to sleep there? You know I don't look where I'm going when I wake up."

The metal dragon seemed to yawn as it got up. "Sorry, Kai." His voice was oddly human sounding, like that of a guy about three years older than Kai, who was eighteen this year. It wasn't something you would expect to hear from a creature made entirely of metal.

Kai got back up to his feet and said, "Whatever, I need to get ready for school." He began to get dressed for school, then he would eat breakfast.

Ryukin had been with Kai ever since he was eight. There was a forest behind the house where he used to live, before his parents died. One day while he was playing and got lost deep in the forest. While he tried to find his way back he was confronted by a grizzly bear, one that was not at all happy to see Kai. The bear would have mauled him to death that day, but Ryukin appeared from behind the bushes and fought off the bear.After a short battle the animal gave up and ran off. From that day forward Ryukin stayed by Kai's side, protecting him from anything that threatened him.

Kai was sitting at the table pouring milk into his cereal when Ryukin came up beside him and asked, "So, any plans for tonight?"

"I think I'm just going to come back home after school and study," he said.

"You always study. Why don't you go out and have some fun? You're still a kid after all."

Kai sighed. "Ryukin, you know I have to study in order to earn a scholarship so I can get into college. With no one to support me I have to pay for school on my own. It's only because of my parents' life insurance that I'm able to live in this apartment and go to high school."

"Yes, but that doesn't mean you should lock yourself in your room every single day of your life," Ryukin said. "You should take a break and have some fun once in a while."

Kai finished the rest of his cereal before getting his school bag and heading for the door. "I'll think about it," he said as he opened the door. "Watch the apartment while I'm gone." Kai knew he wouldn't. Ryukin always snuck out of the building to follow him whenever he went somewhere alone. Ryukin would listen to any order he was given, except when it involved leaving Kai's side for even a second. At least the dragon was discrete about it. He would hide in a nearby tree or on a rooftop while he waited for Kai to be dismissed from school.

(Just so you know, my family and I are going camping this week starting tomorrow and won't be back until Sunday. Let's try to post as much as we can today.

How about our characters know each other, but never really had the chance to talk to each other?)
Last edited by Dynamo on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicken <-- Egg <-- Rocket Powered Fist
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:26 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

((Ok, sounds good. And have fun! I LOVE camping. Good thing too cause my dad runs one. :D ))

Skylar, Sky for short, jumped when her alarm went off. She hit her head on something metal and hissed. "Tala!" She rolled over and away from the metal wolf.

"I sleep in the same place every night." Tala replied smiling at her. She was always awake before Sky was.

"Ya, well I don't." She hissed climbing out of bed and walking over to her dresser pulling her clothes on and then rolling her neck to get the kinks out.

"I know, you wake me up all the time with your rolling." Tala replied standing up and following her around in her room.

"Least I'm not hard like you are." Sky replied running downstairs and grabbing a biscut that her grandma left out for her. She sat down and started eating it with some jam.

"Good thing I am though, or you'd be pretty dead at the moment." Tala replied. Sky sighed as she remembered when she first found Tala. She'd been running through down on one of the back roads her music blaring in her ears. She didn't even hear the car coming up from behind her. THey didn't have their lights on, and it was foggy. All she did hear was a loud crunch. She had spun around to see Tala looking at her and a banged up car. The driver climbed out of the car as Tala pushed her to the woods and otu of site. She had ended up having to fix a few dents in Tala's metal, but she was glad to be alive. Ever sense they'd always been together.

"Your going to be late." Her grandma said coming in and interupting her thoughts.

"Right, school." She jumped up and ran towards the door. "Tala, stay!" She hoped Tala stayed, that her grandma wasn't right about Tala not sticking around when she was gone, but Tala wasn't about to admit to anything. She'd only had the wolf for a year, having found her when she was only sixteen, now seventeen. Tala was just as free and wild spirited as she was herself.

She jumped on her motor bike and raced towards the school looking at her watch. She was late, again!
"And you wonder why we don't like you!" -Trumpkin
Vist my world and make it bigger!
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:54 pm
Dynamo says...

(That's fine.)

Kai had a drivers licence, but he couldn't afford a car. So, every day he took the bus to school. His school, Ridgemount High, was a typical high school. A large football field, basketball court, parking lot, and the building itself was big enough for over 2000 students.

As he approached the building something caught his eye. He looked toward the far end of the building and there, peering over the corner of the roof, was Ryukin. The dragon seemed to notice Kai looking at him right away, because as soon as he look the dragon's head disappeared on the other side of the edge.

Kai shook his head and thought, One of these days, he's going to get himself caught.

A motorcycle rushed passed Kai as he walked toward the school. The bike quickly turned into the parking lot, located behind the school. Kai recognized the bike, it belonged to a girl named Skylar. She sits at the table in front of him in science class, but they've never really talked or anything. Science was also the first class of the day for him, and if he didn't hurry he would be late.
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:04 pm
View Likes
TNCowgirl says...

Skylar grabbed her bag off the back of the bike and then ran towards the school. Why can't I ever be on time? She ran through the door colliding with someone. She jumped back quickly.

"Sorry." She said looking at him. She knew him. Come on, whats the name? She knew him from her first class, science. Kai. "I'm late for class, guess you are too." She smiled as she shrugged.

"We're not late, yet." He replied as he started walking again. She glanced at her watch, then the one on the wall.

Of course this thing is to fast. I'm going to kill Gram! She set it fast again! They had about a minute to get to class.

"Well close enough." She replied as she readjusted the bag and started walking faster. Can't be late again, or Gram's gonna have to come and talk to the principle guy again! She thought mentally. She hated being late, but what could she say, it was in her DNA.
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:38 pm
View Likes
Dynamo says...

The bell rang as soon as they walked into the classroom. The teacher looked at them both and said, "Kai, Skylar, glad you could join us."

"Sorry, sir," Skylar said. "I overslept this morning."

"And you, Kai?"

"The bus was running behind schedule," Kai explained.

"Well, you're both technically on time. But don't let it happen again. Now please take our seats."

Kai and Skylar went to their seats. As soon as they sat down the teacher began his lesson.

Meanwhile, Ryukin watched Kai from the other end of the school. The building was "T" shaped, so by sitting at the long end of the school he could see Kai's classroom. In fact, he had a spot where he sat for each of Kai's classes so he could watch him, with the exception of gym class on a rainy day.

Kai had told Ryukin that he didn't have to watch over him during school. Ryukin had listened to Kai for a while and stayed home, but one day during his second week of school in grade 9, Kai came back with a black eye. Kai had said something to one of the kids at school and was beat up for it. Ever since then, Ryukin watched him twentyfour-seven.

A few days after the incident the kid came back to pick on Kai some more. He was eating lunch on the roof alone when the kid and two of his friends showed up. It was obvious they were going to try and hurt Kai. Ryukin showed up before they could try anything and scared them off. Ever since then they stopped bothering Kai. And they never told anyone about it because, well let's face it, who would believe them?

Something from across the school yard caught Ryukin's attention. There was movement in the bushes by the treeline of the nearby forest. Ryukin recoiled behind the edge of the roof, so as not to be seen. For a moment, he thought he saw the glint of metal within the bushes. But now the foliage was still. Whatever had been there was gone now. Ryukin stared at the treeline for a few more minutes, but nothing else moved. Maybe it was just a woodland creature, and the glint of metal was probably from a discarded can. Even so, Ryukin kept his wits up. So much so that he planned to keep an eye on that area as well as Kai for the rest of the day.
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:00 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Tala narrowed her eyes when she saw something flash on the roof. She froze and stayed as small as she could as she watched the roof top. She didn't keep her eyes always on Sky, thats what she loved about her hearing.

She saw the flash of the sun on metal again and she caught herself before she growled. It's on a roof, it's just part of the roof. She moved a little in the bush and then froze still to wait out the rest of the day ignoring her instincts to go up to the roof.

At lunch Sky grabbed her food and walked outside sitting under a tree. She watched as Kai walked out of the school with a few other people talking. She kept to herself during school, she knew a few people, but they had a different lunch time.

Wonder if Tala's out here? She thought glancing around for any hint of the wolf. She didn't see anything so she started eating but kept looking around. Gram had to be wrong, Tala behaved. As if on cue she saw the glint of metal in the bushes across from her and then Tala popped her head out for a second then pulled it back in. She frowned and stood up walking over ot the bush and sitting next to it.

"YOu could at least find a better place to hide!" She growled at the wolf. "I told you to stay."

"When do you ever listen to your grandma?" Tala demanded.

"Shut up." Sky hissed watching as Kai said bye to his friends.

"Whose he?" Tala asked.

"Kai. he's in my first class." She shrugged biting into her apple.

"Cute for a human." Tala laughed.

"Go home." Sky hissed.
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 pm
Dynamo says...

Kai went to look for a place to eat. He liked to eat his lunch alone, especially when he had homework from one of his classes. That way he could work on it and eat at the same time, giving him more time to study other things when he got home. He considered sitting at one of the picnic tables, but paused when he saw movement on the roof again. That's when he remembered, Ryukin was on the roof.

Eating alone was fine, but if Ryukin was here he'd might as well spend time with him. With exams coming up in a few weeks Kai had been studying like crazy. He couldn't remember the last time he spent more than twenty minutes with Ryukin. The dragon was always looking out for Kai, the least he could do was spend some time with him.

Kai went back inside. He went up the stairs until he came to a door with the word "Restricted" posted on it. Everyone thought the door to the roof was always locked, but Kai had discovered a while ago that if you jiggle the handle just right the door opens. He did just that.

The roof was empty, there was no sign of anyone up there. Kai knew better, though. If there was one thing Ryukin was good at, it was hiding.

"It's just me, Ryukin. You can come out," Kai said. As if on cue, Ryukin walked out from behind one of the many ventilation systems that occupied the roof. Kai made sure to close the door behind him before sitting next to the dragon.

"I thought you were going to eat down there?" Ryukin said.

Kai pulled his lunch out from his bag. It was a traditional lunch, bologna sandwich, a banana, and a juice box. "I thought you might be lonely up here, that's all."

"I see." Ryukin sat down beside Kai. Being mechanical, Ryukin never needed to eat. "So, have you thought about what I said?" he asked.

"Maybe, although I do have some homework I need to finish."

"You can always finish it when you get back home," Ryukin said. "You know, you really do need to get out more. Maybe find a girlfriend?"

Kai gave him an odd look. He shook his head. "Even if I did want one, I just don't have the time to spend."

"Then at least find a friend. I've watched you come here everyday and not once have I seen you eat lunch with another person."

"I talk to people," Kai said.

"But for no more than five minutes," Ryukin said.

"We're friends, aren't we?" Kai asked.

"Yes, but having a few human friends wouldn't hurt, either."

Kai sighed and took a sip of his drink. "I haven't needed any friends ever since I came here, and I don't need any now."

"I'm just worried about you, that's all."

"Yeah, I know you are..."
Last edited by Dynamo on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"How much homework do you have tonight?" Tala asked as Sky finished her coke.

"Not to much. I got to study a little, but just for a few minutes. Long as I pay attention in class I'll be fine for the tests." She shrugged. "GO home, please. I want you watching Gram, I can take care of myself." She said letting her shoulder length hair out of the pony tail it had started to fall out of and putting it back up.

"She is fine, she hangs out with her friends while your gone anways. I need to watch you." Tala replied.

"I. Am. Fine. I can take care of myself, I have been sense the folks died and I got sent here to stay with Gram." She replied.

"Ya, well that was before you found me. Rather I found you. Now I'm supposed to take care of you and I can't do that if I'm babysitting an old lady." Tala growled in a low tone.

"IF you have to come to school pick a better place to hide so it doesn't look like I"m talking to a bush." SKy hissed standing up. "I've got class."

"Have fun." Tala laughed.

After everyone went inside Tala shot out of the bush and headed towards the parking lot to hide where she could see when Sky left the school on her bike.
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:40 pm
Dynamo says...

When Kai finished off his lunch he got up and said, "My next class is going to start soon. I'll see you later."

Kai stopped when he heard the sound of a motorcycle engine. He looked over the side of the building in the parking lot to see Skylar drive away on her bike.

"School isn't even over yet," Kai muttered to himself.

Ryukin had seen the girl as well. "Isn't that the girl who sits in front of you in science class?" he asked.

"Yeah, her name is Skylar."

"She looks cute, you should ask her out," the dragon said.

"Again with this?" Kai asked. "Even if I wanted to date someone, I barely even know her."

"Spend some time with her, get to know her a little better. God knows you could at least socialize a little more."

Kai shook his head. "Whatever, I'm going to my class now." As he went back inside, Kai thought, Maybe Ryukin's right, though. Maybe I do need to get out more. I could always go to that arcade that opened up in the mall recently, then go see a movie or something...
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:48 pm
TNCowgirl says...

Skylar shot out of the school smiling at the wind hit her face. She got on one of the back roads and skid to a stop when Tala appeared in front of her.

"Where are you going?" Tala demanded.

"I don't need to go to these other classes, it's study hall, P.E., and art." She shrugged. "Nothing big. Plus, I've wanted to ride all day!"

"Go back." Tala hissed. "YOu gotta stay doing well in your school work or your gram is going to take your bike away again."

"Fine!" She hissed turning it around and speeding back to school. She missed her Study Hall class, but she was on time for her P.E. and art class. I'm not going home after this. She thought glancing towards the parking lot. Where was Tala? Could she skip art and go to that arcade place. By the time she got htere school would be out and they'd be open.

*Sorry, tis short*
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:01 am
Dynamo says...

(No problem.)

School ended for the day around 3:00, with math being Kai's last class. Instead of taking the regular bus back home, he took the one going downtown to the mall. It was about a twenty minute commute, but luckily Kai's bus pass allowed him to take this bus. He wondered if Ryukin would try to follow him. He hoped he didn't, or if he did he hoped Ryukin would at least be extra careful. It would be much harder for the dragon to move around without being seen since it was the heart of the city.

He got off the bus in front of the mall. It was a big building that took up about three blocks. It even had its own in-door amusement park with a ferris wheel and everything. It was mostly a kid's attraction, though. All the older kids either went to the movie theater or the arcade that opened up two weeks ago.

There was a lot going on in the arcade, so much so that it distracted Kai long enough that he didn't seen the person in front of him and accidentally walked into her.

"Oww! Sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going," Kai said. When he got a good look at the girl he bumped into he noticed it was Skylar from his science class.
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:24 am
TNCowgirl says...

"Seems you're payin' me back for earlier for bumping into you." She smiled at him. "Guess I'm not the only one that got sucked into the hype about this place."

"It any fun?" Kai asked her as he looked around too.

"Ya, if you can find a place to play." She replied. "It was possible if you came before the buses got here you could get a place, not anymore though." SHe shrugged. "In a week or so they won't be as packed."

"Probably." He replied.

"If your staying have fun. I'm heading to the food court for a snack." She grinned before slipping out of the arcade.
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:30 pm
Dynamo says...

Kai looked back at the arcade for a moment. Skylar was probably right, getting a spot to play would be close to impossible at this point in time. She said she was going to the food court to get something to eat. That wasn't a bad idea. It had been four hours since Kai had something to eat and he was hungry.

He went over to the food court to get something to eat. He bought a hamburger, some french fries, and a coke. He had trouble finding a place to sit. With school having just been dismissed, all the kids come here to hang out. There didn't seem to be even one table available.

That's when he saw Skylar sitting at one of the tables, eating a poutine while she read a magazine. It didn't look like anyone was with her. Should he go over there and sit with her? Maybe Ryukin was right about not socializing enough either. If it would make him happy, then he'd might as well see if she'll let him sit down. Besides, there wasn't any other place to sit.
Take that, science!

110 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:52 pm
TNCowgirl says...

"Mind if I sit down?" A voice asked. Skylar looked up and nodded.

"Nope. Feel free." She replied sticking some of the fries in her mouth.

"Whatcha reading?" He asked motioning towards the magazine in her hand. She finished her bite of food then took a sip of her Dr. Pepper before she replied.

"Just a magazine about everything metal." She replied. "Bikes, machines, engines."

"Cool." He replied as he started to eat.

"Ya, I got to know how to fix Ta-my bike if it gets dents and such in it." She replied mentally kicking herself for almost slipping up. Tala could fix herself most of the time, but Sky still liked to know how to mess around with her bike, and if Tala ever needed to be fixed she might know what to do, if Tala was built like a normal machine, which she wasn't. But why not.
Want a Readers crit???

103 Reviews

Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:16 pm
Dynamo says...

"That's interesting." Kai thought about it for a moment. Ryukin was made of metal. Did he ever need a tune up or an oil change? He never seemed to need one before. In fact, he still works just as well as he had when they first met in the forest. Whenever he gets a dent or a kink, it always seems to disappear the next morning.

"So, you try any of the games in the arcade?" Skylar asked.

"No, there were too many people so I just gave up trying to find a spot," Kai explained.

"You know, I don't think I've ever seen you outside of school."

"I usually go straight home every day. Every night I have to study so I can earn scholarships to put me through college. I'm only here because... a friend of mine is worried about me. He said I don't get out enough."
Take that, science!

shady and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws
— Tuckster