z

Young Writers Society

Twisted Fates

23 Reviews

Reviews: 23
Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:58 am
Chupatoasta says...

"Catrin! Really, what princess sleeps until the afternoon? When I was younger I was up at the crack of dawn every morning to attend breakfast, but you, you're still asleep by the time lunch rolls around." Catrin Rhomantus groaned when her mom, Queen Catarina Rhomantus, yanked her thick blanket off her bed. Usually, Catrin woke up on her own and slept straight through her mother's yelling, but today was different. It was the first day of autumn, which meant the day before the start of hunting season. Without a second thought Catrin shot out of her bed, running fore her wardrobe.

Instead of pulling on her normal dress she settled on a pair of leather trousers and a cotton shirt, which she tucked into the trousers before pulling on a pair of boots and a belt, which she settled a dagger into snugly. "Where do you think you're going in that?" One of her five older sisters spat angrily, her nose turned into the air.

"Away from you, that's for sure!" She laughed maniacally at her elder sister's shocked expression before running to her father's throne room. "Father!" She breathed, running over to her father's throne. "Father, are you coming with me? I'm going to get the traps and everything else ready for tomorrow!" A smile swelled across her ecstatic face.

"Catrin," her father looked at her with sad, yet proud and joyful eyes, "I have something I need to discuss with you." Catrin looked at her father quizzically before nodding slightly, bright eyes attentive. "You know of the Terrwyn Kingdom, correct?" Ah yes, the Terrwyn Kingdom, otherwise known as the Rhomantus Kingdom's lifelong enemy.

"Of course I know of the foul beasts!" Catrin spat, eyes full of hatred.

"And you know of my motives to become a peaceful nation with them, correct?" Catrin nodded and rolled her eyes. She didn't know why he was trying so hard. The Terrwyn Kingdom had been their mortal enemy for the past two hundred years. "There's no easy way to put this Catrin, but-"

"You're getting married to the Prince of Terrwyn." Her father's royal adviser suddenly interrupted.

"I'm doing what?!"

(Your turn WhiteTiger! :D)
Last edited by Chupatoasta on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the tiger will love you. There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:40 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

"Alexander!" My father called to me. I sighed. Didn't he understand? I needed to be alone. I just needed to think.

My mothers maid, Katherine, came running after towards me. Her deep red hair was flying behind her and a rather goofy smile was placed on her beautiful face. She was quite a site. I cocked my head to the side, surprised by her eagerness to give me a message. My father must be brewing another one of his plans. Well he could keep me out of it this time.

"You're parents ask to see you in the dining hall," the maid said, smiling. She obviously knew what was going on. Maybe this was the big secret that they had been keeping from me.

"And how could I deny them anything they wished?" I asked bitterly. They always got what they wanted. Except for the Rhomantus kingdom, of course. Something my father would give anything for.

I walked away from Katherine and walked down the long corridor. My footsteps echoed eerily. I didn't like it. It almost seemed like...an omen. Maybe my parent's news wasn't as good as I had hoped for.

"Alexander," my mother smiled as I approached them. her smile always looked false. She tried to make it look sweet, but it only appeared cynical. I could only imagine the thoughts behind that pretty little face. I nodded to her. She had her golden hair piled on her head. If anyone looked like a true queen, it was her.

My father coughed, gaining my attention.

"I presume you have some important news?" I questioned, not wanting to stall this discussion any longer.

"Well...yes, but first I wanted to ask if you remember young princess Catrin?" He asked. I nodded. How could I forget? I had only been forced to hate her since all I have ever heard of was the feud between our families. We were to be life-long enemies. Maybe longer.

"Of course," I responded, suspicion making my voice thick. My father wiped a bit of sweat from his nearly bald head.

"You see son," he said. "I've found a way to create peace between our kingdom's. It will be like part of their kingdom will be ours and part of ours belonging to them." My throat tightened.

"But father, I thought the only way to achieve something like that...would be...marriage," I replied, my hands starting to shake. My father turned his eyes away from me but my mother held my outraged and defeated gaze.

"Yes, Alexander, and you can help us. You are our only son. Do not make me believe you will be a disappointment after all," she stated.

"Oh never, mother," I spat. "I live to make you happy."

"You would do well to remember that," he replied, calmly. "You will marry princess Catrin and there will not be another word said about it."

"As you wish," I responded, my voice shaky with rage. "I would hate to disappoint you. God forbid I did anything that made me happy."

With that said I stormed out of the castle with no intentions of returning.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

23 Reviews

Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:39 am
Chupatoasta says...

(Haha, I love their reactions to the fact they're getting married)

Catrin stormed into the stables, her dark blond hair braided over her shoulder. One of the stable hands, and good friend of hers, smiled back at her, his thick brunette curls falling over bright green eyes. "Caddy, what's wrong?" He teased, wiping his brow. "You look angry." Catrin shot him a glare before flinging herself onto a pile of hay. Her friend chuckled, figuring out the fact she wasn't in the mood for teasing. Catrin groaned loudly and flipped around so she was in the hay face first. She let out an angered scream, soon lifting her scarlet face away from the hay. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her chin on them, face contorted in pure rage. Her friend, Tybalt, shook his head and smiled while he brushed down a horse.

"Can a queen hunt?" Catrin asked a while later, eyes locked on the horse she was running a brush down. Tybalt glanced at her questioningly, answering her question of his own.

"Why?" He smirked while he picked at a horse's hoof.

"No reason, just wondering if they're allowed to. I'd rather become a rogue dragon's dinner before I gave up all the things I do now." Tybalt laughed loudly and shook his head.

"It depends on what kingdom you run. If you run a political based kingdom, it's best for the women to stay indoors and do... womanly things." Catrin shot his a glare. "But, if you run a kingdom like the rogue dragons, one where everyone does whatever they one despite rank, then yes, the queen can act like you." Catrin smiled back at him crookedly and moved to the next horse.

"Lady Catrin! Your mother wishes to see you! You are to write a letter to the prince!" A maid ran in, hair wild and eyes wide. Catrin nodded before waving goodbye to Tybalt. She walked back into the throne room, where her mother sat gracefully in the throne next to her graying father.

"You called, mother?" Catrin asked, her annoyance showing.

"Write a letter to Prince Alexander. If you hurry he should get it by tonight." Catrin gaped at her mother with shocked eyes.

"But mother, I do not wish to write to that fool!"

"Catrin! He is your fiancee, and you shan't speak of him that way! Now get to the letter, and make it kind. I do not want him to think of you as some witch." Catrin let out an angry and loud groan before stomping up to her room rather ungracefully.

Taking a piece of royal parchment and a quill dipped in ink she scrawled her words onto the letter.

Prince Alexander,

Just so we're clear, I am not writing this through my own will. I am being forced to write you this. Also, please do not believe for one minute that I love you, nor do I like you. At all. My name is Catrin, I'm eighteen, and I'm not a 'proper' dragon princess as my mother loves to call it. I prefer eating around a fire over dining royally, water over wine, and most importantly, I do not stay inside a castle while a war is going on that involves my kingdom. So, if you're looking for a wife who will cater to your every need you might as well tell your father to cancel this arrangement.

Sincerely,
Catrin Rhomantus

She finished the note off by folding it and dripping hot wax on the opening. She pressed her family's insignia into the hot wax before handing it to the hawk that was suddenly perching in her window. With an annoyed scream she threw herself onto her bed, flailing her arms and legs angrily.
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:16 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I sat on the old stump in the woods. My fingertips brushed lazily over the old wood. It was soothing out here. Alone. I could still see the castle's outline and I knew how foolish I was to storm out of there. I probably looked like a three year old throwing a temper tantrum because he couldn't get his way. Still, I can't bring myself to regret it. Didn't they know what they were doing?

I stared hopelessly at a squirrel racing it's brother up the trunk of an old oak tree. In all the books I've read there has always been the same morale. True love conquers all. In this case it was the opposite. This girl, Catrin, probably hated me just as much as I hated her. Our hatred for each other is the only thing I see for my future. Not the beautiful romance I had planned. And there was nothing I could do about it.

I started walking to the castle when a hawk flew overhead. He swooped down, nearly taking my head off and dropped a letter and from none other than Princess Catrin herself. I opened it and read over it. Then again. I couldn't help but burst into laughter. This letter just proved how little we knew of each other. Why we didn't belong together. Like our parents cared.

I sighed and walked to my bedroom. I assumed my parents would be pleased if I replied, though, not so much if they saw what I was going to write.

Princess Catrin,

Yes, it is lovely to finally meet your acquaintance as well! Nice to see you think so highly of me. I can honestly say the feeling is mutual. I never asked for this. Neither did you, obviously and I'm not going to make this situation worse by bickering with you. There are, however a few things you should know about me before judging me first.

First, If I could call off this marriage, I would. My mother has made her...thoughts very clear on the matter. There is nothing I can do. For either of us. Second, to be completely honest with you, I could care less about 'proper' ladies. You can do whatever you please. I don't own you even when we are...married. And last, I will not order you around like a servant. If that is how your father treats your mother than so be it, but I am a gentleman and I would really appreciate it if you could hold off on your snide comments. You know nothing of me and I know nothing of you.

Now, could we please stop our bickering. Isn't it bad enough we're being forced on each other. I don't want to make this any worse than it already is. I apologize for being forced to marry you I suppose. I know this will only depress me further, but I just need to say this. Our lives will never be the same and it's because of this feud. Would you want your children to have to do this? I say we end this once and for all. Enough is enough, though I still pray there is another way.

Prince Alexander
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

23 Reviews

Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:57 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Catrin raised her bow to aim and let go of the string, watching the arrow fly right into the center of the target, where it stuck solidly. She smiled cheekily back at Tybalt, who had said she couldn't do it. Tybalt snorted and squared up, shooting his own arrow. Catrin let out roaring laughter when the wind caught the air and blew it into the very edge of the target, where it hung limply. "Hey! That was cheap! I want a rematch!" Tybalt snapped back at the laughing Catrin, who smirked cockily.

"You'll still lose," Catrin smiled, aiming once again. She drew her string back, closed one eye, and locked entirely on the center, her fingers slowly sliding off the string. A shadow flew across the clearing right as a hawk dropped down in front of Catrin. She let out a scream, cocking the bow up at an angle, and let go, watching it sail into a tree. Tybalt suddenly fell to the ground, laughing. Catrin puffed out her cheeks angrily and held a gloved hand out, on which, the hawk landed, parchment clamped in his curved beak. Catrin took the parchment and kissed the hawk on the head gently, raising the hand it sat on to her shoulder, where it perched happily.

"Oh, what's that?" Tybalt asked, running over when Catrin opened the letter, scanning over it quickly. "Ew, why's the prince of Terrwyn sending you a letter?" Tybalt asked, still reading it. Catrin sighed and shook her head.

"We're royally engaged, or so my mom says. I'm going to find a way out of this sooner rather than later unless my father turns indecisive like always." Tybalt chuckled and gathered the bows and arrows.

"Well, I'll let you get to your little letter exchanging. I've got to finish up with the horses before old Ulrich kills me." Tybalt smiled, coming back to Catrin's side. Ah yes, old Ulrich, the oldest and toughest stable hand in all of the Rhomantus kingdom. Catrin laughed softly before bowing her head and disappearing back into the castle. She snuck past her parents and into her room, taking another piece of parchment and a fresh quill. She sat down in a heap on her bed, scrawling out her note in slight anger.

Prince Alexander,

Just so we're clear on one thing, I am going to find a way out of this marriage one way or another. I do not wish to spend the rest of my life with a Terrwyn of all people. I am elated that the feeling is mutual in all truth. Also, my father is one of the greatest men I've ever known and he does not treat my mother like a slave. I have heard many stories about your people, and how the women are treated, and if that is how a gentleman acts in your kingdom, then maybe your men would fit better as barbarians.

As for me knowing nothing of you and you, nothing of me, I'd like to keep it that way seeing as though I hold no interest for you. As far as stopping our bickering goes, I'm afraid that won't happen. The Terrwyn kingdom and Rhomantus kingdom have always been, and still will be, mortal enemies. It's been that way for hundreds of years and I doubt a marriage will resolve the conflict.

Catrin Rhomantus
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:44 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I stared angrily at the letter before me. How dare she judge me like that! She may not want to get to know me and vice versa, but wasn't I a person? She didn't have the right to judge me like I was nothing more than the dirt beneath her foot. Of all the nerve! I scribbled angrily on the parchment I borrowed from my mother's maid.

Princess Catrin

You ignorance is starting to show dear Catrin. These 'stories' you hear are the same ones that flow in my kingdom, as well. Except it's about your men. You see, this exists everywhere and, sadly, can hardly be helped. People do what they please, no matter the consequence.

Also, if you find a way to get out of this marriage, no matter how elated I know I'll be, I refuse to see it as a good thing. If don't marry our kingdoms will, most likely, go to war. This means more men, women, children, and villages will be lost and you know it. Whether you admit it or not, you know what will happen. The day our parents told us this wretched news was the day it was far too late to try and worm our way out of this. Then, if you still don't care about that, think about your future generations. They could suffer the same fate as us. Forced into marriage. We won't always be here and who knows what will happen when we're gone. I for one don't want my great great grandchildren to suffer anything like this. We know how it feels and I won't pawn it off on another. We've got to deal with this the best we can. Argue with me if you wish! Call me every dirty word you know and curse my name, but you know we can't just get rid of this. It's not going to go away. Even if you can find a way out of this marriage there will be consequences.

Oh and one last thing before I leave you to your...hunting, I suppose. It's obvious we hate each other and I know that neither of us wishes to get to know the other, but don't judge me. If you hate me so much and you don't wish to know me do not talk about me like you know me. Like you know what's going on through my head because, dear princess, you have no idea.

Prince Alexander

23 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:22 am
Chupatoasta says...

Catrin huffed angrily at the letter that she had laid out on her study. She took out yet another piece of paper, dipped her pen in ink, and started to write again. Her mother suddenly walked through the door, peering over her shoulder. She crumbled up the paper she had been writing on and started anew.

Alexander,

Sadly, I agree with you about my judgment towards you and your people, and because of that, I apologize. I was in no position to judge just because I heard a few stories. My dear mother is standing over my shoulder like a hawk to make sure I put the perfect words down.

Her mother rested a slim and warning hand on her shoulder, squeezing angrily.

I also agree with you about future generations and this dreadful wedding. I would refuse to let my daughter be married off to someone I knew she despised. I, unlike some mothers, would allow her to choose her own path and especially her own spouse.

Catrin couldn't help but chuckle and her mother's enraged glare.

"Catrin, I want to see the letter he sends you. Put some things about yourself in this one." Catrin had half a mind to let her mother see the last few letters along with the ones Catrin had sent, but decided against it.

As I said before, my mother is standing over me, scrutinizing everything I write. She also wants me to be 'friendlier' and 'ladylike' and tell more about myself. I know I said I didn't wish to get to know you, but sadly, I believe I have no choice.

Anyway my full name is Catrin Arabella Rhomantus. My dragon element, unlike my family, is fire. Before being told I was to be married off I had plans to travel the world, but sadly, those are now crushed.

So, Prince Alexander, why not tell me a little about yourself? Keep in mind that my nosy mother, who refuses to let me have my own life, will be reading it.

Sincerely,
Princess Catrin

Catrin handed the letter to her hawk right as her mother gripped her ear, leading her to her wardrobe. "Put on a dress please. Dinner begins in a few short minutes." Catrin glared after her mother as she walked out of the room. With a sigh Catrin grabbed a scarlet and black silk dress, shedding her day clothes and slipping the dress over her head. She let her hair sprawl across her shoulders as she jogged downstairs.
Last edited by Chupatoasta on Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:24 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

I was shocked to sat the least. I read over the letter a couple times and couldn't believe what I was reading.

"Alexander," a soft, all too familiar voice sounded on the other side of my door. I groaned. "May I come in?"

"Of course, mother," I replied, stashing the letter under books and other parchment. Could I deny my mother anything she wanted? No one could.

The door opened and even with her hair down the air in my room changed. She brought a sense of power and royalty wherever she went.

"Have you wrote to the girl?" she asked. I nodded.

"You will answer me when I ask you a question," she snapped. I sighed.

"Yes, I wrote to the princess," I told her.

"Very good, Alexander. May I see the letter?" She asked. My throat tightened. I wasn't about to let my mother see our letters. That was simply out of the question.

"I shredded them," I stated. Her head snapped up.

"Excuse me?" she coughed. "You did what?" My mind whirled. I had to come up with a story and fast.

"Well, mother, I wasn't very happy about the whole arrangement in the first place and when I saw that she wrote me I tore it up. I apologized to her later and replied saying that I was hap...very happy about our engagement," I lied.

"You'll do well to remember that," she said, angrily. "You could have ruined everything. All of your fathers hard work and planning." I rolled my eyes.

"Well he can marry her if he wishes then," I replied. I felt the sharp sting of a slap and my door slam shut.

"And don't be late for dinner," she yelled. I found the letter and started writing.

Princess Catrin,

I have to say that I am a little surprised. I guess I should follow my own advice and try not to judge you as well. I'm not saying that we will be 'friends' if that's even possible between our families, but it's still good to know I won't be judged. As I won't judge you.

My name is Alexander James Terrwyn. My dragon element, as sickeningly ironic as this may be, is water. I, too, wanted to travel the world. My kingdom is just too small a place for someone like me. Mostly I just wanted to get away from the royal pain here. In other words my mother. She is possibly the nosiest woman on the planet.

Oh, and please tell your 'nosy mother' to mind her own buisness and that this is not a leter adressed to her. Hasn't she done enough to ruin your life as well as my own. I suppose I'll se you at this party. I refuse to say the name.

Goodnight Rhomantus princess,
Prince Alexander

23 Reviews

Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:47 pm
Chupatoasta says...

Right in the middle of dessert the hawk flew into the dining room, dropping the letter in Catrin's lap. Her mother raised a curious brow, basically telling Catrin that she would read the letter. Catrin took one last bite of her disgustingly sweet dessert and finished the last bit of water in her goblet. "May I be excused?" Her father nodded gruffly before turning back to his one sided argument with the chef, who dared not to argue back. Catrin bowed her head and stood up, running up the stairs to her room. For an odd reason she couldn't wait to read the the letter. She ripped it open ungracefully and scanned over the letter with a small smile.

"Oh, and please tell your 'nosy mother' to mind her own business and that this is not a letter addressed to her. Hasn't she done enough to ruin your life as well as my own." She read this particular line over and over again before bursting into hysterical laughter.

After a few minutes she sat up with, one last giggle escaping her lips, and strode over to her study, taking another piece of paper.

Prince Alexander,

You may be shocked to hear this, but I actually laughed at the words you requested to tell my mother. I decided to write you before she came up from dinner. In my opinion, it's very... odd that our elements are the exact opposite. Fire and water certainly don't mix, especially when a thunderstorm strikes in the middle of a long hunt and there's no shelter or warmth for miles. Believe me, I tried. The outcome? I didn't get any sleep and was cooped up in my room for the following week with a head cold. The lean-to we used wasn't that effective either.

As far as the kingdom being much to small, I agree. I've never been allowed to travel out of the land our kingdom rules over. I'm familiar with every stick, stone, and crevice there is to the Rhomantus kingdom. I know for certain that there's a much bigger world out there, just waiting to be discovered. Sadly though, my father likes to keep me close. Had it been up to me I would've flown the coop when I was sixteen like my brother did. The pompass jackass left me with three older sisters who are as bad as my mother and three younger sisters who are all... pretty close to achieving the level my mother's at.

Also, I presume this argument is over, correct? Well, I still don't like you, but I'll live. Until the party that is. Joking, of course.

Goodnight Prince Alexander,
Catrin

She sent it off right as her mom walked in, demanding to see the letter.
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:04 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

"You can leave now," I told the maid. She looked around nervously.

"But your mother has instructed me to-" she started.

"I am off to bed and unless you'd like to see me change I sayyou go off to my mother and tell her to leave me alone. The letter has not yet arrived," I sighed.

"Yes, but-" she started.

"GO!" I shouted. She nodded and took off. I should have known my mother would hire someone to stalk me all day. I was lucky I hadn't gotten one so far.

I slammed the door to my room and I saw something fly around. The hawk! He must have been waiting here for me. Smart bird.

I read over the letter and smiled a little. The argument was indeed over, and I learned something new. Another unexpected surprise. Princess Catrin did, in fact, have a sense of humor.

Princess Catrin,

It sounds like you have a houseful. I am an only child. Which is probably the reason my father never let me leave. I am the only heir. This might shock you but some days I wish I could be a peasant. Just to live my own life and not having to think about the welfare of an entire kingdom.

It seems the date for the -ahem- party is sneaking up on me. I may just have to have a cold. do you think it would be too odd if we both started getting sick on the same day...right before the party? They would never expect it, I mean look how happy we are about this abominable wedding!

At least we agree on one thing, the argument is over, but I still don't like you. Great, I think I hear my mother's maid coming. The one that's been stalking me just waiting for the letter to arrive. I'm afraid I may have to change in front of her. Don't get too jealous, princess. By the way you have one incredibly smart bird.

Tell your mother I said hello. Wait she's probably reading this isn't she. Ah well, you know how mother's are.

Sincerely,
Alexander

23 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:32 am
Chupatoasta says...

A squawk sounded throughout Catrin's room at precisely seven in the morning. Catrin moaned softly, throwing her pillow over her head in a huff. The same squawk sounded once again. With a sigh Catrin cracked open one eye, looking right at the hawk that was perching on the end of her bed, a letter in between his beak. Catrin chuckled softly and opened Alexander's letter, skimming over the words with a VERY small smile. A barely noticeable smile. Her hawk, Astor squawked humorously, receiving a glare. He stuffed his nose under his wing which made Catrin chuckle. He had one heck of a personallity, for a hawk that is.

Alexander,

To me being an only child would be like living in heaven. Not the hell I live in. I'm the middle child and if my older sisters aren't nagging me, my little sisters are complaining about me being the only person that has time to talk to them and that real princesses, like my three other sisters, are to busy to talk. Yeah, the day those three rats stop talking and act like the perfect princess will be the day hell freezes over and heaven catches fire.

Peasant life would be enjoyable, even if peasants don't have much money. I'd like to be a traveling fur salesmen, especially with all the hunting I do. Did you know how much someone will buy a well made bear fur coat for? I know the amount is nothing to royalty like you and I, but to a peasant that would be their meals for the next week. In all truth, I'm tired of living a life of luxury. My family only laughs at me when I tell them this, but then again, it's understandable considering how they act with their money. Or, at least how the other women of the house act. My father's well rounded, and I don't mean in the Saint Nick way. He's open to new ideas and opinions, and very thrifty with the way he spends the kingdom's money. My mother and sisters would go out and buy the latest dress apparel before they helped the sick and poor. It's quite sad really. I can't see how my father fell for a woman who is completely different than him. They literally have nothing in common, including which children they favor. My father's for my brother and I, while my mother's for the perfect princesses.

Oh, a stalking maid who saw you change? I might have to just break her neck. I was being sarcastic by the way. Oh! Astor is thankful for the comment about how smart he is. Also, surprisingly, my mother is still asleep! I was up before her for once in my entire life! And yes, sadly, I do know how mothers are.

Today is the start of the hunting season, so I'm off to get ready. I'm sure I'll take time out of my busy schedule to write you back. Aha, another crack at sarcasm.

Good morning by the way!

Sincerely,
Catrin

Catrin handed Astor her letter before changing into her regular hunting attire, packing a few pieces of writing necessities, and ran outside to meet Tybalt at the stables.
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:09 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Today, I wasn't so lucky. I saw the bird land on my window from the tree outside my castle. Unfortunately, the maid happened to look over there at the same moment as I.

"Is that...that's the letter isn't it?" She asked, excitedly. "Oh, I'll go tell your mother!" I cursed under my breath and took off for my room. I knew mother would read my letter against my will.

Upstairs, in my room I grabbed a the few things I needed for a letter. She would have to do without the seal today. I took off, the hawk at my heels. I knew the perfect place to go. Mother would never find me there.

I was almost to the door when I heard my father.

"Yes, the party is coming very soon," my father told his advisor.

"Do you think the boy will go through with the wedding?" The advisor asked. I rolled my eyes. Obviously. I had no choice.

"Alexander is a smart boy. He knows what's right for our kingdom," my father said affectionately. I looked to the floor. He was wrong. I didn't know what was right for the kingdom, that's what scared me about becoming a king. I took off.

It didn't take me long to reach the meadow. It was just outside the forest. And it was beautiful. I lay in the grass and read over the letter.

Catrin,

I believe I understand exactly what you mean. About wanting to be a peasant, that is. Sometimes it sickens me to know that my mother spends so much money on her clothes and jewery while people in our kingdom starve. Believe it or not, the few times I went out into the city, I try to give to the poor. It's not much, of course, because my father dosen't believe in charity but when I can get away from him I try to help. I guess that's one of my greatest fears. That I won't be a good king and I won't be able to help my own people.

On to a lighter note, I must say I am really starting to enjoy your sarcasm! Wait a minute, did I just compliment a Rhomantus? Oh God, what have I done?

The maid saw the note today. At least I know she won't be stalking me anymore. Oh, and don't worry. I didn't have to change in front of her. Lucky for her, eh? Anyway, that's why there is not a seal. I had to flee to the one place I know I will have privacy. The meadow. It's really quite beautiful, so I guess it was a good thing.

Good morning to you as well, by the way.

Sincerely,
Alexander

23 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:52 am
Chupatoasta says...

"Tybalt, would you slow down? All you're going to do is scare it off!" Catrin shouted after Tybalt, urging her horse to go faster so she could catch up with him. He had started chasing a buck, but it instantly ran off when he had made his presence know. Catrin was fuming, or at least she was to begin with. At the sight of the huge buck she drew her bow and arrow, cocking it up with a smile. She aimed, slowly sliding her hands off the string. A screech sounded from above, making Catrin shout in terror and fall off the back of her horse. Catrin moaned and sat but up, seeing the arrow embedded in her forearm.

"Catrin! What'd you fall off your horse for?!" Tybal teased while Catrin hissed out angrily and glared at him. Astor landed on Catrin's shoulder, flapping his wings. She took the letter from his talons and read it.

"Hey, I'm going to catch up to you later! I need to write some stuff down."

"Yeah, to your Terrwyn lover," Tybalt teased, rolling his eyes in a dreamy-like fashion. "Oh Alexander, even though we're mortal enemies and supposed to hate each other, I love you!" Tybalt's voice rose a few notes as he turned around, crossed his arms, and ran his hands up and down his sides.

"Okay, now, that's just gross. The least you could do is that with a horse, not yourself. Ew," she shuddered teasingly and smirked as Tybalt huffed and rode off. Catrin chuckled and grabbed some paper and a pen out of her sack, a sharp pain shooting up her arm. She hissed and twisted the arrow out of her forearm, not worried about permanent injury since it wasn't sunk in that deep. Astor flapped his wings impatiently. Catrin sighed and rolled her eyes, starting her letter.

Alexander,

Surely complimenting a Rhomantus can't be that horrible. Hmm, just to make it even... the Terrwyn are very understanding, kind, and gentle people. Oh, excuse me, I think I just lost a bit of my sanity. Kidding, of course. Really. Can you not tell?

I'm glad somebody agrees with me about the way the women of the royal family spends their money. My mother caught me giving the poor some of my allowance two years ago and won't allow me to go into town without a royal escort who holds my money. She obviously doesn't understand that I can spend my money my own way. It's unfair that she pampers my sisters with everything they want as long as it's a material item that makes them look proper, then she'll give them money, but if I want to give only a little bit of silver to a man on the side of the street who's starving, she gives me an escort. It just makes me so angry sometimes.

On the upside, or at least I think, I finally get to go hunting. For some reason, Astor refuses to act like the smart bird I know he is around me. He flew right in front of the deer I was aiming at, and I ended up on the ground with an arrow embedded in my arm. Such a fun day, eh?

As for the maid not seeing you change, she's a lucky woman. She wasn't blinded.

By the way, I meant that in an insulting way, not the whole your-beauty-blinds-people kind of way. Yuck.

Sincerely,
Caddy
George Bernard Shaw

54 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:32 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

"Alexander James!" I shrill voice screamed. Oh joy. Mother was angry. I started walking towards my home. Or should I say I started walking towards my death.

"Yes mother?" I asked as I saw her regal head standing near the guards.

"Where is the letter and why do you refuse to let me see them?" She asked. Then I heard the hawk. I squeezed my eyes shut. Great, just perfect. I snatched the letter from the bird and my mother read it over my shoulder.

"What a lovely bride to be," she said sarcastically. "She gives her money to the poor? Why, she reminds me of how you used to be as a child. Hopefully she'll grow out of that Alexander. I don't know about that hunting though. Ugh, she sounds like a...man."

I felt anger bubble up. "I mean this with the upmost respect mother," I started. "Please go burn in Hell. This just proves how much you know about Catrin. About me."

I stomped to my room. What was my mother even thinking saying those things? I started the new letter.

Catrin,

Really? And here I thought you were jealous by the thought of another women watching me undress. It's okay. No one can resist my beauty.

I'm afraid to say my mother read your last letter. Let me repeat what she said.

"She gives her money to the poor? Why, she reminds me of how you used to be as a child. Hopefully she'll grow out of that Alexander. I don't know about that hunting though. Ugh, she sounds like a...man."

Yes, because giving money to the poor is a bad thing. And if women learn to hunt that would be dispicable because then they might ne able to protact themselves. Sometimes I really wonder what goes on through my mother's head. Better yet, no I don't.

Oh and I'm sorry about that arrow. I know those things are painful. Once, as a kid, I out riding with my father. You see I never really had balance and I, well to put this bluntly, I fell off the horse when he started to trot. Yes, I know, hilarious. Anyway, I had my father's bow and arrows with me and one got lodged in my leg. Not a good day for me. Of course you handled it better than I. I wailed at my father to take it out until he did then I asked him to put it back in.

Don't you worry though. I can ride a horse like a big boy now.

Well happy hunting,
Alexander.

23 Reviews

Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:09 am
Chupatoasta says...

Catrin smiled cockily back at Tybalt, who was sulking about the back he'd only got one buck that was a four point, while Catrin got one eight and six point. "You want my eight point? I'll say I let you use my bow and arrows for luck. I'll take the four point off your hands." At her words Tybalt glared. "I'm just kidding! Geez, I'll give you the six point, pansy." Catrin smirked and pulled her horse to a stop, carefully dragging the two bucks off the back of it.

"Catrin! Mother wishes to see you!" Romiette called from the castle doors snottily. Romiette had to be one of her least favorite sisters.

"Hey, Caddy, the female equivalent of the fictional man your mom fell in love with is calling." Catrin snorted and smacked Tybalt in the side of the head playfully, walking behind her sister and into the throne room. Yes, her sister was names after Romeo from Romeo and Juliet, except her mother wanted Romiette to have a feminine vibe to her name.

"Yes mother?" Catrin smiled, using her sickening sweet and fake voice.

"It's time we get your engagement gown. Now, what color do you prefer? White, red, or pink?" Catrin gagged inwardly at the listed colors.

"I'll make my own gown. I'm perfectly capable of doing that." Catrin glared at her mother, hands on her hips.

"I will not allow you to make a gown for your engagement party!" Her mother screeched, causing Catrin to wince. Her sisters snickered and giggled behind her. "I am buying you your dress whether you like it or not!" Catrin spoke no further. Her father was already angry that her mother was yelling at her over such a trivial matter.

"Yes, Mother dearest," before her mother could reply Catrin ran up to her room, where Astor was sitting in the window impatiently. He dropped the letter into Catrin's hand, Catrin soon opening and reading it, a smile soon gracing her lips.

Alexander,

You keep believing that nobody can resist your 'beauty'. In my opinion, you should have said charm though, unless you think of yourself as... beautiful rather than charming. If that's the case then I might just stay out in the next rainstorm so I can be sick on the day of the party.

On another note, I'm glad your mother thinks so highly of me! Tell her that the feeling it mutual, if not greater! Wow, my mother always told me that God played a cruel joke on me when I was born a female. Ah, oh well, I always considered myself as one of the guys. When it comes to hunting and stuff such as that that is.

I always wanted to be like my sisters by the way. Being stingy and greedy with my money, crying to my lover about a spider on the floor, telling my father every little detail my other sisters do. Yes, that would be the life. Really, it would.

Please tell me you didn't take me seriously in that last tidbit.

Oh, by the way, are you sure you can ride a horse like a big boy? I swear I saw a guy riding his horse backwards when I flew over Terrwyn a few days ago. Ah, I'm guessing you learned over night? Correct? Just kidding... I think.

Good luck with your... how shall I say this? Crabby mother? I really and truly hopes she reads this little parchment of writing!

Sincerely,
Catrin
George Bernard Shaw

I have to ask. Does every question or statement regarding the quote generator end up in the quote generator?
— WeepingWisteria