z

Young Writers Society

The strangers

54 Reviews

Reviews: 54
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:20 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Alright, I already posted what the story was about in the 'tell about your story' post. Check it out.
Changes: Violet is now Danny's name. Her best friend (wrote by Forever) also has a power and they're both needed for things to play out. (:

Violet stood beneath the oak tree. Rain pelted her. Little rivulets ran down her cheeks and neck. It could easily be mistaken as the rain, but it was really tears. Tears that she shed quite often. Violet knew she shouldn't cry, but she couldn't help herself. She wished her brother was here, but then that's why she was crying. She had killed her brother. She lifted her face to the rain, almost as if her tears were an offering to the darkness around her.

It was one o'clock in the morning and she knew she should be in bed, but she couldn't sleep. She never could when she heard the rain pelt her window. It had been a rainy night when her brother died. Of course it was only rainy because she willed it to rain. Chandler had known she could control the weather and made her practice. He said it was a part of her. One that needed to be perfected. Little did he know that, that little bit of advice had gotten himself killed.

"Chandler," she whispered to the clouds. She sank to her knees getting mud on her pajama bottoms. Violet didn't care. Sometimes the pain became unbearable. Just like now. She held her head in her hands and stopped the rain. She hated to use her power, she rarely used it since Chandler's death, but the weather always had changed her moods. Right now, she needed a clear night. One where she could forget her pain and go to sleep.

Violet rose from the ground and walked inside. Her aunt was still asleep, completely unaware of the excruciating pain her niece had just felt. It didn't matter. She didn't want her to know. Inside her room, behind the closed doors, she felt secure. There was no weather to mess with her feelings and there was a soft bed and pillow awaiting her. Violet pushed herself under the sheets without bothering to change her muddy clothes.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

~A Very Potter Musical - Dumbledore

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:46 pm
Threnody says...

"Mother! Mum stop!" Aubin grappled her mother as she rampaged around the room, crying, smashing dishes, and kicking holes in the walls. She had told her brother to stay up in his room. It hurt him bad to see their mother like this. And if he didn't see it, then it didn't exist for him, right? "Mum, please, you'll hurt yourself." Lisa remained blind to her daughter's pleading and continued, running up the stairs after something that wasn't there. Aubin chased her up and abruptly stopped at her mothers bedroom door as it slammed shut and the lock clicked. She heard her mother's cries turn to sobs and faded into nothing.

She walked sullenly to her brothers room, across the hall. He was crying now too, his whole body wracked. "Can you sleep here Aubin?" He asked her quietly. She nodded and slipped next to her 7 year old brother, embracing him and whispering consolation.

In the morning she got up early. The kitchen was a wreak. Her father had been there probably. The refrigerator had been looted and carelessly left open so that the remaining food had a chance to spoil. Muddy footprints from the rain were trailed out the back door and into the night. Aubin went through her normal procedure of making breakfast for Jon and her mother, whenever Lisa came down of course. She toasted some bread and spread jam on them. She checked the clock. Her mother should be up by now. "Jon, go wake up mummy, okay dear?" Jon nodded and ran upstairs. A moment later he screamed.

Aubin ran up to Violet's house, across the way, and knocked desperately on her door. She should be home. Violet answered the door and was taken aback slightly with Aubin's disheveled appearance. "Violet, it's my mother."
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:11 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Violet yawned when she heard the knocking. If she hadn't been sure it was Aubin she would have ignored it. Slowly, she got up and stretched taking her time going down the stairs to face Aubin.

I opened the door and looked a little surprised. Aubin's normal clean look had been traded for a disheveld, frightened appearance. Violet knew the words that she would say before they even reached my ears.

"Violet, it's my mother," she whispered. She nodded her head. Violet had been friends with Aubin for a long time and she knew just how upset her mother could get.

"I'll be there in a moment," she said, glancing quickly at her muddy pajama bottoms. Aubin nodded and entered the house while Violet raced back up the stairs to put on a pair of jeans and throw her hair up into a messy bun.

"Are you alright?" Violet asked as she made it back down. Aubin nodded, but I knew she was still shaken "Let's go back to your house and you can tell me what happened." She kept her voice gentle but inside I knew that this was bad. Aubin was really upset today.
Hermione, shut your ungodly, lopsided mouth and quit interrupting! 20 points from Gryffindor. You know, for the brightest witch of your age you can sure be a dumba** sometimes. *smiles* 10 points to Dumbledore!

324 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:33 pm
Threnody says...

"She's in here." Aubin told her quietly. Jon had gone to visit his friends like he did every Sunday. He hadn't wanted to go, but she knew it would have been good for him to get out of the house. Violet entered wth Aubin and saw her mother strewn across her bed. Lisa was cold and clammy, and had a bleeding head wound.
"I want to call the ambulance, but the phone isn't working, and I'd have to walk all the way to the bigger city to get one that works." The phones in their small town sometimes worked, but it wasn't always guaranteed.
Violet nodded in understanding.
"I was going though, I was going to start walking but I wanted you to know. Just in case you knew. She never was this bad." Aubin added.
"I'll come if you want." Violet offered.
"Would you? I feel really guilty making you come."
"Of course not."

*This is set-up for meeting the people*
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:32 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Alright (: First we meet Brendan.

Violet helped Aubin up. They needed to start walking.

"Things will get better," Violet told her. Aubin nodded but didn't respond. She could tell that she didn't believe her. Violet looked at the sky. It was clear today. No chance of rain, which meant no chance of tears.

"Did you see the kitchen?" Aubin asked me. Violet nodded.

"Your father?" She asked. Aubin grimaced a little, but nodded. "Sorry." Violet knew she shouldn't bring up such a touchy subject, but she really couldn't help it. Maybe that's why they were so close. They had both had a fair share of pain in their lives. Much more than usual.

They were approaching the hospital quickly. The walk wasn't that far. A boy was leaning against the wall, almost as if he was waiting for someone. When he saw Violet and Aubin step forward he sucked in a deep breath, smiling.

"I've been waiting for you girls," the boy said. He wasn't really a boy. He was around our age but there was something about him that made him seem more mature. Much more mature.

"Why?" Violet asked. Most people would walk away from a stranger who would say those things. Then again, she was not most people. Violet knew that if she had to, she could protect herself and Aubin better than any other person. The boy tilted his head to the side.

"I've forgotten you don't know me. Well, not really," he laughed, tossing his glossy hair away from his face. "It's just that I know you. I guess an explanation is in order?"

Violet looked from Aubin to the boy. They needed to get help for Aubin's mom, but there was something about this boy that intrigued her. She wanted to find out more.

324 Reviews

Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:58 pm
Threnody says...

"Lets go Vi" Aubin insisted. The boy's aura did seem to look fine. But there still was something odd in the way he acted. He sounded kind of stalkerish the way he said "I've been waiting for you girls." He didn't say it in a menacing voice, or a tone that suggested danger of any sort.

"Wait..." Violet said.

"Please?" Aubin pleaded.

"You're mother's not feeling well?" Brenden asked, but they could tell it was a rhetorical question.

"Yes..." Aubin answered reluctantly.

"I can help her. I can help you both. I know what pain you've gone through." He offered.

"How?" Violet asked, interested. She seemed drawn to this person.

"I'll explain later. How about you have some lunch with me." He said, indicating a homely looking Cafe. If he could help her mother, than Aubin was in.

"Violet?" Aubin whispered to Violet, standing beside her.

"Sure, why not." Violet replied.
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Fri May 01, 2009 2:10 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I feel more comfortable writing in first person. I like it better this way. (:

I was excited to get to know this stranger. There was something about him. Something that intrigued me. Almost as if we had met before. I knew Aubin was only going along for her mother, but I was going on pure instinct. I knew I could handle this guy if things were to get nasty.

We headed towards the Cafe and a thought occurred to me. He knew our names, but we didn't know his.

"What's your name?" I asked. He looked a little amused and smiled at me.

"Brendan," he laughed. Brendan. Why did that name seem so familiar? The Cafe was just a few blocks in front of us and I knew Aubin wasn't liking this.

"Don't worry," I whispered to her. "I can handle it." She knew exactly what I meant, and nodded. We entered the cozy little place and Brendan immediately stepped in front of us, leading us to the back of the Cafe. Aubin and I sat in one of the booths together, while he sat across from us.

"Well, I guess I should start with proper introductions," he started. I raised an eyebrow and he laughed. "As you know, I am Brendan. I'm your mentor. Both of your mentor's. I won't say what for, you'll only think I was crazy."

"I already think you're crazy," I responded. "So you might as well go on and say what you need to."

"Weird night last night," Brendan said suddenly. "I mean one minute it was raining and the next it stopped. I don't know much about the weather, but it was still odd. Don't you agree Violet?" He gave me a knowing look and my heart thumped. He couldn't know. No. Impossible. Only Aubin and Chandler knew about my 'ability.'

"Oh yes, I know about you, my little weather witch," he laughed. He was treating this like it was a joke. Beside me Aubin stopped. This was dangerous. I was scared now, but I needed to know more.

"Let's go Violet," Aubin said, pulling on my jacket. I shook my head and stared at Brendan.

"Continue," I demanded.

"Still the same I see," Brendan responded. "Never have learned the word please."

"Just tell me what you want," I whispered hoarsely. He seemed to notice how distressed I was and dropped his joking tone.

"There's a lot to cover girls, but there isn't much time," said Brendan. I was amazed at the differences between his tone. "You play just as much as a role as Violet does." He was looking straight at Aubin. Anger flared. He better not be messing with her. She had been through enough already.

"What are you talking about?" She asked. Brendan shook his head.

"We'll speak of Heston later. First we need to save your mother. In order for you to complete your job, your mother must live," Brendan replied. I stood up. I was really upset now. This man obviously knew what he was doing, for now Aubin was mesmerized by his words. He was playing with her!

"Go on," Aubin urged, completely ignoring me. I didn't mind. All I knew was that if Brendan made Aubin upset for some reason, he would find a bolt of lightning strike his head.

324 Reviews

Fri May 01, 2009 3:49 pm
Threnody says...

"Now," He continued, "Your power is influence, correct?"

"Yes." I replied. His aura was familiar, but in a deja vu kind of way.

"You can cure her, once you get stronger, her will is nearly nonexistent, it should be easy once you've got the ropes."

"I could have cured her all along?" I asked, feeling awfully stupid.

"No, you're not trained." He answered, in sort of a superior tone.

"I don't need training," I replied, my defiance already breaking through my better intuition. I glared at him, Violet's hand twitched.

"You need it more than you think. You've only been able to control people's will, you could learn to control their entire being."

"How do you plan on executing this, Brenden?" Violet asked, adding a stress on his name.

"You'll need to follow me." He answered.

"That entails?" I asked.

"You'll see."

"Tell us." I said, forcing the words from his mouth with my mind.

He seemed to pause, internally battling with himself and then returned to his normal stance, "No, you'll just have to trust me. Let's go."
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Fri May 01, 2009 9:17 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

"Trust you?" I laughed. "Why would I do that?" Brendan smiled at me.

"There's no need to be suspicious Violet. I already know about your gifts, shouldn't you at least hear me out?" He had a point, but I wasn't going to fall for this. He could convince Aubin by hitting her soft spots about her mother, but I wasn't going along with it.

"No," I replied. "You tell us where you want us to go and then we'll consider it."

"Always so stubborn," Brendan smiled at me. "Fine. I didn't want to tell you this, because I know it hurts, but you asked for it. We're going to the field where your brother was murdered.

"Chandler?" I choked. My throat tightened. How dare he talk about Chandler! How did he even know I killed him? Brendan's face grew serious.

"I'm sorry Violet," he said. I stood up quickly. I felt the wave of grief hit me.

"No," I whispered. I shook my head vigorously. "How did you know?"

"I know everything Heston does," Brendan replied.

"Who is Heston?" Aubin asked. "You've mentioned him twice now."

"Not here," he responded. "I told you we need to go somewhere else." I nodded my head. He had my attention now. That sickening wave had already passed.

"I'm in," I replied, quietly.

324 Reviews

Sat May 02, 2009 4:53 pm
Threnody says...

From the Cafe, we walked farther into the town, until so many people walked the streets, it was nearly impossible to one, find anyone else in particular which was probably the motive of Brenden, and two find anyone else you needed to stay with. I only managed to see Violet and shove my way back over to her because of my height. Brenden lead us to a large, very conspicuous building. It stood right in the middle of the city. People were going in and coming out in streams. This was not the kind of publicity I enjoyed.

Instead though, of leading us into the building, he turned us to the back and down a stairwell. From there, we saw an enormous room. It literally had no ceiling and in it's place was a serene blue sky. Other than that it looked like a normal taekwondo dojo. Mats were set around and punching bags leaning against walls. There were a few people down there just either stretching or practicing.

"This place is really awesome." I told him. I had taken taekwondo over the ages and had respect for places like these.

Violet looked up at the sky, that for her, was full of opportunity for rain or tornadoes.
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2009 3:33 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

I didn't know what this place was, but I didn't like it. My power felt restricted here. I don't know what it was. I just felt like I was bound by tight ropes. I looked at the sky. I was debting on whether to make it rain or not. I decided against it. I didn't know what kind of a place this was, and I wasn't going to test my power in here.

"Go on," Brendan urged. I looked at him. He sighed.

"I want to see your power in action," he replied.

"I don't think so," I said. "First, you owe us an explanation. He seemed amused by my comment and nodded.

"Fine, fine. What do you want to know first?" He asked.

"Who's this Heston character you keep talking about?" Aubin asked. His eyebrows knit together.

"Can't we start with something smaller?" He responded, fiddling with the end of his sleeve. I shook my head. I wanted to know all about this and I wasn't going to start off small.

"Alright, but remember, this is going to be a bit of a shock," Brendan said, calmly. He took in a deep breath and started.

"Heston is an immortal. He's lived a very long time. He is basically all things that humans call evil. He is evil. You're meant to stop him by whatever means you can. I was sent here to be your mentor. You two are bound together. If one of you dies, Heston will rule on for you can't beat him without the other."

"You're crazy," I laughed. "This is fairy-tale stuff." I couldn't help but laugh a little. So I had misjudged the guy. He was a freak who happened to know about our powers. I wasn't worried about him giving us away though. With his story, he'll wind up in an asylum.

"What does this have to do with my mother and Violet's brother, then?" Aubin asked in a steady voice. He looked at us both.

"Do you think it is a coincidence that these tragedies just happened to fall upon you both? No. Aubin, Heston made sure you were born into this life. He created your misery from the begininng. He couldn't reach Violet though. I'll explain this later, but he decided to create misery throughout Violet's life. By killing all of her loved ones. Her parents were the first. Then he went to her next gaurdian. Chandler. He's going to keep going until Violet can't take it anymore, or until he reaches you, Aubin."

"You're out of your freaking mind," I whispered. "Making up supid stories! How dare you talk about my brother!" I couldn't take this any longer. I jumped up from my seat and rushed out of the building.

324 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2009 9:00 pm
Threnody says...

"Violet!" I shouted after her. I glared at Brenden and raced after her. She was sitting on a curb corner close to crying. I ran to and hugged her tight. "We don't have to do this." I told her.

"Like hell we don't." Violet shot back, trying to maintain some of her cheek, but failing considerably.

"Can I help you girls?" A man, about Brenden's age asked us. He looked at us amused. He seemed a ton more homely than Brenden though. i noticed, however, a long scar that ran from the side of his head down to his earlobe. It looked once serious and painful, a sword? Nobody used swords anymore, but from taekwondo, it sure looked like a sword.

"What happened to your face?" I asked, as there really wasn't a polite way to ask it.

"It doesn't matter Aubin," He answered. This was creepy. Maybe he was in league with Brenden.

"I've had enough of creepy people coming up to us and asking us if we needed help or something. I really want to go." Violet announced.

We left the guy behind only to be grabbed and pulled back into the room with Brenden. "And that, my friends, was Hesten." He told us, with a superior, "You should have listened" tone.

"Really?" Violet asked.

"He was a ton nicer than you," I pointed out.
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2009 9:24 pm
WhiteTiger93 says...

Brendan seemed strangely upset by that comment.

"You think he's nicer than I?" He asked, eyes burning with rage. "Heston is completely evil. He's trying to use you!"

"And what evidence do you have to back up this information?" I asked, cocking an eyebrow. "Oh, and don't say he murdered my brother because we all know how he died." I looked at the ground, not bothering to hold his gaze. We all knew that I killed Chandler.

"Are you serious?" Brendan asked, eyes wide. He laughed.

"You could be evil for all we know," I responded.

"So now you're accusing me of being evil?" I shrugged.

"Not really, but I need proof of who to believe," I said.

"I'm your mentor. Isn't that proof enough?" Brendan asked.

"So what you're saying is you don't have any proof?" Aubin responded. Brendan's head swerved from Aubin to me.

"You've got to be kidding me," he sighed. "I can't just let you go out there to him. Especially as unprepared as you are. You can't leave yet." I smiled.

"Watch me."

324 Reviews

Sun May 03, 2009 9:33 pm
Threnody says...

"Actually, you could very much be evil, and consider yourself and your motives good, while you consider this Hesten, who by the way has better manners than you, evil only because he thinks you are." I told him, highschool debate team was paying off. "Give me proof of what you're doing and we'll stay if it's good enough."

"And take some etiquette classes while you're at it," Violet said under her breath.

"You don't have to believe me you know." He said, using the lamest defense in the world.

"Of course we don't. We're not." I answered.

"Tell us what you want to do and we'll judge you from that." Violet said. If this guy was trying to win points, he shouldn't keep going where he was headed. He needed to be more smooth talking. I suggested it to him. He only glared back.
~ The Little Prince~

54 Reviews

Mon May 04, 2009 12:07 am
WhiteTiger93 says...

Brendan glared at Aubin but finally sighed.

"I'm not going to let you go out to Heston. Not with your powers as weak as they are. He could easily overtake you. Not that he would. He would only make you suffer," Brendan said. I smiled a little. Good answer. Aubin seemed to agree.

"Nice. Maybe I'll hear you out," I replied. Brendan nodded. He did it almost as if he knew there was no other choice. As if he'd been putting up with me for years.

"Fine. I brought you here to strengthen your powers. To give you more conrol and to help Aubin with her mother," Brendan said. "Heston has done so much damage to you both already. I'm never going to be able to rid you of that, but I will be able to try and stop what he is trying to do." Aubin's eyes grew distant. I knew she was thinking of all the years of her father missing and her mother going crazy. I put an arm around her shoulder.

"And?" I questioned. Brendan shrugged.

"There's really not much I can do. You have to do it yourselves. I'm only here to guide you, and that's just what I'll do. Now, Aubin. We'll start with you. Your family seems to be the most distraught. At the moment," Brendan replied. Aubin narrowed her eyes.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked. I couldn't help but smile. Good ole Aubin. Brendan seemed to have the same expression.

"Nothing. I'm just saying we should strengthen your gift first." I froze.

"No," I said, shanking my head. "Not yet."Brendan gave me an exasperated look.

"What could possibly be wrong now?" He asked. I narrowed my eyes.

"I still don't trust you. I don't want you messing with Aubin's powers yet. I don't want you messing with her period, actually. Not now. Your just picking at her sores so she'll do whatever you want. Well, I'm not buying it," I responded through gritted teeth. If he thought he could do this without any trouble, he was sadly mistaken.

It always seems impossible until it's done.
— Nelson Mandela