z

Young Writers Society

TrailSeekers

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:19 pm
Claeren says...

* I'm not sure if this should be rated G or something else - tell me if you want to change it.

Daru crept up the path, his feet almost noiseless on the damp forest floor. It had rained recently, and the air had a nice, crisp freshness to it.

It's a good day for TrailSeeking, he thought, shielding his eyes from the sun as he stopped and looked up. He had heard something above him in the trees, and, sure enough, he glimpsed a pair of green-speckled brown eyes staring down at him. It was a Chikadora - the most endangered species of wild cat in the world. Well, I guess I'd better keep on my toes. If I don't, most likely this little guy might become pelt-bait for one of those damned poachers that always seem to be lurking about.

He got his journal out from his backpack along with a pencil, and began to record the date, place, and time that he had discovered this cat, along with a bunch of other information that he really didn't see the importance of, but which he dutifully recorded anyway.

Daru had short brown hair and brown eyes that other people swore had specks of blue and green in them. He could see how he might have green specks - but as for blue, he considered that to be impossible, despite how much people insisted upon it. He was wearing brown pants and a white, short-sleeved shirt under a vest that was the same color of brown as his pants. His shoes (also brown) were more like slippers, light and flexible, but they were actually made for walking. Daru could walk for miles in them and not get sore feet, though he did them at some point or other.

Finished recording, he look up from his notebook and was surprised to see the small. house cat-sized Chikadora cautiously walking up to him, sniffing curiously. In a matter of seconds, it was right next to him, and it began to rub itself against his leg. Unable to resist, he held out his hand for the animal to sniff, and then patted its head, running his hand along the smooth fur down its back. The cat loved it.

However, when Daru made to leave, it followed him, and, finally, unable to shake it off, he gave up and let it come along, picking it up in his arms where it was contented to stay put. Daru shook his head in exasperation, but was secretly glad that his new little feline friend had chosen to follow him.

<== Hurry and click, before they all die!

Life is a banana peel and I am the fool who dared to tread on it.
— looseleaf