z

Young Writers Society

The Hunger Games (A tribute to Suzanne Collin's novel)

324 Reviews

Reviews: 324
Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 am
Threnody says...

We'll start in a few. I can't right now.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

324 Reviews

Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:23 pm
Threnody says...

Roxana~
I stood in the Colosseum. The games were about to begin and each contestant was lined up on their spots, ready.
I scanned the others. Most of them were big and strong. There were only 3 girls this year, counting me. A tall bony redhead with a scowl imprinted on her face, and a smaller slippery looking one with mousy brown hair and a sly grin.

They all looked tough and I realized that with only my dagger and bow experiences, I could hardly defeat them all.

I glanced to the side of me. Danny. I remember him. He was that boy who always sat under an apple tree telling us which places we missed. We weren't exactly in bad terms with each other, but if time came to kill, I wouldn't falter.

The battlefield for this season's show was a rainforest they had transported us to. It was so hot and steamy but water was probably abundant.

The announcer's amplified voice boomed, "five, four, three..."

It was truly an out of body experience as the gunshot fired and we all ran towards the center of the cornacopia's mouth. I ran closer and spotted my best chance. It was a jeweled dagger. Beside it was a set of arrows and a bow.I fought past the others and grabbed them.

"Look for water," I remembered my trainer saying. I disappeared into the forest. Away from the bloody brawl over the rest of the goods that the cornocopia held. I had my bow and dagger and could now catch enough food for myself.

Being from the agriculture sector of the city, I recognized most of the edible berries in this rainforest. There were many places to take cover and we had no chance of freezing to death like the other contestants in the tundra last year.

A cannon boomed and the sky turned red. The first death, already. A holographic image of a slight boy was displayed across the sky.

Somewhere his parents were grieving. I didn't know him so his death meant nothing to me. Just one down 23 to go.
“One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes”
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:01 pm
View Likes
Bloo says...

I stood with the others scowling. Why me, i hated work, i was an intermediate fighter, and coning people would be hard to do here. I heard the announcer yell and when the others began to move i sprinted in front of them gaining distance between the others. I looked back and saw the two trying to get me. But before they could i jumped snagged a tree branch and flung my body forward. The other passed under me blindly, looking all around for me. When they were right under me i jumped down and landed my feet on their heads. Theni tied them up and stashed them in the bushes. Two down 21 to go i thought. Then i ran to a river i heard to the east, and ran to it.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

The tragic tale of losing all #Brand for nothing in return.

The Take Away Is You Probably Know Me As Bolt

324 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:43 am
View Likes
Threnody says...

By the way, everytime someone is killed, their body is taken away by a hovercraft.

Roxana~

Two more cannons shot into the sky as it turned red. The faces of the two fallen were projected into the sky as holographic images.

The rainforest was dark and shadowy as night (cause every time we touch, I feel the static- everytime we kiss I reach for the sky, can't you feel my heart beat fast... Sorry I needed to sing. Random impulse. Guess who's song it is. Yeah right, you wouldn't know. It's Cascada.)

I climbed one of the massive ficus trees and bedded down.

The soft moss that lined the trunk was perfect.

I awoke to a furious buzzing above me. I saw a huge nest of some sort. Tracker Jacks. Great. They were bred to be horrible dangerous if provoked. A few stings could give you horrible hullucinations and a few more could bring death.

I could use this to my advantage though...
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:04 am
Bloo says...

I looked down from my tree top perch to see the other from my village under me. Along with a hive of tracker jacks. I saw her whip out a jar and did the same bagging several of them before she saw me. I then stored them carefully in mt bag covered in my extra set of clothes. Then i ran from my spot. i hoped from branch to branch looking around for something when suddenly a branch gave way under me had i hoped across the river. My jump was bad because of that and i was caught in the river. The current was rough right now and i was in the center unable to get away from the deadly rapids.
That User Who Changed Their Name A Dozen Times And So No One Ever Knew Who They Were Half the Time and When They Did Only Used Bolt.

324 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:46 pm
Threnody says...

Roxana:

I saw him fall under the waves. If he died, I'd have a better chance of winning, but would I be able to live with myself. I've never let someone die, right under my nose, without doing anything. But this was different. The whole point of what I'd been chosen to do was to kill and survive.

His body was heading, uncontrolled, towards an enormous boulder that divided the stream into two. He'd be extremely lucky if he managed to miss it.

Against my better instincts, I lept from the safety of my tree and jumped onto the boulder in the river. He came so close to actually crashing into the rock before I dragged him out. I got him onto the river bank.

He was out cold, but I wasn't sticking around. But why not. It would be better to form an alliance, this early in the games. And what I did for him, he should be begging at my feet. We'd form a temporary alliance. He'd killed two of the competitors already so he'd be a valuable addition.

I just sat down next to him and waited for him to come to.
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:18 pm
Bloo says...

Slowly i came to, i was alive cold and in pain but alive and that was good. i looked around and saw a girl standing a bit away from me by the river. She must have saved me, but who cared this was a battle where the strongest survived and the others died. i quickly dove into my pack and took out my hunter jack jar. Then i pressed it to her back after a good shacking. They were not enough to kill, it would give her some hallucinations for a bit. Then i ran, fast away from her, i knew i had to keep moving because if a slowed down for a moment i would be dead. Finally i came to another group, their were only two and they were eating what looked like meat, mt stomach was now empty and i needed food.
So i quickly whipped out another something from my bag and changed my face a bit. Then i dropped and began to limp over.

"please help me" i said bring out pain in my voice.

"ah looks like the smell brought some competition over" one of them said and turned to me, she was a girl around my age.

"no, i'm not in this, see i was traveling to the town over to train, when i was attacked by some e of the competitors, i was able to escape but i am hurt and hungry" i said giving my acting my all. "please all i ask for is a bit of food and i will be out of your hair, i swear."

The two seemed to be convinced and then gestured for me to join them. Handing me food that i eagerly scarfed down. Then after the food i left, but not after throwing their bags into the trees when they were not looking. I walked away smiling but giving a painful wince when i walked away, and when i got far enough stripped my disguise stuffed it in my bag and examined their bags. They had a few useful things but other then that nothing so i chucked them in the river.

324 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:14 pm
Threnody says...

Roxana:

I waited for him in the trees. Below me, he set up camp he was completely oblivious.

I pulled back an arrow and it hit home on his thigh. That would be enough to immobilize him longer than before.

I wouldn't kill though. I couldn't bring myself to do that.
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Bloo says...

*wait was that danny she hit*

324 Reviews

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:23 pm
Threnody says...

boltageman wrote:*wait was that danny she hit*

selbstverstandlich was es

It was of course.
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:53 pm
Bloo says...

okay

I looked around for the shooter but found none. I sighed and pulled out the arrow, which had hit a layer of protection my mom had sewn in my clothes for this. Then i went back to the fire and made sure it burnt bright and the smoke raised. then i pulled out a rat, which i found dead and began to cook it fanning the smell of meat all around the forest. Then jumped back to the trees with my packs waiting for someone to take the bait as i help the nets pulley.

39 Reviews

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:01 am
Bloo says...

( here let me give you a push)

I looked down at the girl. I recognized her, she was the other from my village, her name was Roxana. She was walking right onto my and under my traps. I pulled my two vines and watched as the cage dropped then the net under her brought her up. She was trapped suspended in mid air in my rat trap.

324 Reviews

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:15 am
Threnody says...

*That's not cool. And while I'm on the subject, my life update: Got song by Fall Out Boy. Sugar We're Going Down I believe. And When You leave by Alina which will be hopelessly stuck in my head for the entire week. And I dunno what to write. I hate that... I should make this into a storybook... that would be interesting. Although the problem with people who haven't read the book is that the don't know what to do. Like Rosey in CHB. I hate loosing a loosing fight. Taylor Swift is honestly frying my brain cells. "Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone, I'll be waiting all there is to do is run, You be the prince and I'll be the princess..." UGH I can't concentrate!!! "Don't be afraid we'll make it out of this mess, It's a love story baby just say yes..." UGH! Oh my gosh, I can't do this listening to this crap!!! It's nearly as bad as Katy Perry, by just barely! Better now, Lily Allen. Whew. Yes, I take music quite seriously... oh well. I need a better prompt than this. If I had written this, you would have pulled out your secret dagger and cut yourself out. Why not. Let's just say Roxana did that. And then she ran into the forest and killed everyone and won. The end. I hate this endless dissonance! (Oh I love that word!) It's pretty much just a battle between who can think of the most creative way to get back at the other person via character. I've only actually responded because I wanted the last laugh which is common I guess. It's just getting old. We're always trying to get the best of each other. That annoys me so much. Harmony is always good I suppose. A good change would enhance the quality of all stories.

My favorite band is Cascada. Amazing just amazing. Just because it's dance music which I appreciate a lot. *

Roxana:

I grabbed my secret knife and cut myself out and ran into the forest, killed everyone and won.

THE END

Joking okay, don't freak out.

Roxana:

*Is having a writers block.*
~ The Little Prince~

39 Reviews

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:21 am
Bloo says...

* sorry, i just needed something to get you to write, i wanted to do something in here but also didn't want to do something over the top*

39 Reviews

Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:06 pm
Bloo says...

* here let me give you yet another push*

I looked at the girl and sighed. I couldn't just let her die. I knew her, it would be to hard.

"okay, now i have a proposition for you" i said. " now either you and i form an alliance, or you and i don't and i let you fall into my fire." i said and i began to pull a few more vines that moved the cage.

That there's some good in this world, Mr Frodo - and it's worth fighting for.
— Samwise Gamgee