z

Young Writers Society

Spy Magic

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:53 pm
FinalFreedom says...

*But fun is good :P*

I walked with my head lowered and my hands in my pockets, wondering exactly how Waric and Ingrid could miss a forgery. Even one as obvious as that. Something was going on, making me feel like it was my duty to figure it out. We had only been here for two days, and already problem upon problem was flying at us. Oh bother.

I fought with myself about if I should go on with the meeting with this Tergen or not. It would make the search for admittance into the ring easier, but at the same time it could give us away. Let the king know we were here. To me, both were life threatening decisions. I didn't like either of them.

As we rounded the corner that led to the hall where our rooms were, something seemed out of the orindary. The door to my room was wide open; the guard lying flat on his back. Had I left the door open while under the influence of my headache? And my guard, had he just decided he needed to sleep? He should have noticed the door.

Growling, I ran to the open door, suddenly assaulted with a strong sense of tiger lilies.
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

-- Vael/Nathanael, Guild Wars: Eye of the North

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:20 am
Rosendorn says...

*As you have just proved.....*

Jasmine reached for the knives that were always hidden at her wrists. The antidote seemed to be working. If his face was any indication, Kaidrec wasn't entranced-- yet.

"Keeana, what are you doing here?" he demanded, blocking the entrance.

She looked up in surprise. "Oh, John, what are you doing here?"

"We just asked you the same question," Jasmine said coldly. She squeezed past Kaidrec and grabbed Keeana's wrist.

Keeana struggled. "Let go of me!"

Jasmine twisted Keeana's arms and plucked a piece of paper from between her fingers. "John, this is yours, I'm assuming?"

Kaidrec came up and took the note. His eyebrows snapped together. "Keeana, how could you?" His eyes were starting to fog over.

Jasmine pulled a knife out and pressed it to Keeana's throat. "John, leave. Now!" To her relief he obeyed. She pushed Keeana against a wall, letting her knife draw blood. "Tell me. Tell me right now what flowers your mother uses in your perfume, or you'll never see her again."

"I have no idea what you're talking about!" she screeched, trying to free herself.

Jasmine pressed her harder against the wall. "You do. I heard you. And I know who your mother is- Tiger Cub."

Keeana's eyes widened in fear. "Alright, alright! I'll tell you! She uses tiger lilies, blueflower and hering bell. Nothing else."

"Are you sure?" Jasmine's knife cut deeper, risking to puncture her jugular.

Keeana's breath became laboured. "And riddleflower."

Jasmine waited a few moments. When her magic didn't give any indication Keeana was lying, she let her go. "Come near here again, and you know what happens." A flash of her blade gave Keeana a final warning. She gulped and ran out of the room, her hand on her bleeding neck.

Kaidrec came in once she had left. "What was that about?"

Jasmine cleaned her blade with a handkerchief. "I think she'll be too scared to say what happened, if that's what you're worried about." She glanced back up at his eyes. "Come into my room, and lock your door."

~~

A few minutes later, Jasmine had mixed the antidote. "Take this, and I'll explain after." She wasn't sure what effect it would have on him, but he needed to take it. If it worked, all he'd have to do was put a few drops on his neck every day and he'd be immune to the potion.

Puzzled, Kaidrec took the flask and drained it. Immediately his eyes fluttered closed, and he sat on the bed. Jasmine helped him lay down, carefully watching his closed eyes. This antidote had to work. It just had to.

Slowly he stirred, opening his eyes. Jasmine sat on the bed in relief. She knew she could trust him again.

*Oh boy, a huge twist. Looks like the event we talked about will happen much sooner.*
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:34 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I sat up, rubbing my head. The aftertaste of whatever Jasmine had given me was stuck in my mouth, tormenting my senses. She soon handed me a glass of water, which I downed, but to no avail.

"So, what exactly was that?" I asked, suddenly feeling light headed. Jasmine removed a larger flask from her study.

"Keeana had you tranced. You didn't love her, it was the perfume she was wearing that drew you in. She knows something, obviously, about why we're here. Not a good sign." She said, hanging me the flask. "Drink some of this whenever you smell any perfume, just not the whole bottle at once."

Nodding, I looked at her. Was she telling me the truth? Shrugging, I looked out the window behind her bed. The sun was slowly setting. Bidding her farewell, I left her room to prepare for dinner.

*sorry about the length, I didn't have much time*
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

1272 Reviews

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:11 pm
Rosendorn says...

*It's enough. That's all I really care about.*

Jasmine pinned back part of her hair, if only so it was away from her face. At least she could trust Kaidrec again. And Chris would be able to watch Rachel and Keeana more closely with a preventive measure. Now, all she had to do was get the antidote to the rest of the castle. A feat in itself.

She pinned the broach Jerr had given her onto her gown. The diamonds set in gold shone on the midnight blue. Jasmine figured it would be a good idea to wear it for the next few days, just to be safe. Thinking of what might happen, she tucked a dagger into a hidden sheath in her bodice.

She looked at her reflection. The lotion hid the darkness under her eyes, and her sapphire had gone clear to match the broach. Jasmine smiled to herself. Chris wasn't the only one that was a chameleon.

She went into the hall to find Kaidrec waiting for her.

"You're sure I can do this?"

Jasmine put her hand on his arm. "I'm sure. Just trust your instincts and you'll be fine."

~~

When they got to the hall, Jasmine was surprised that only Roger was there. Every other person they had been watching, Kaidrec's parents, Rachel, Keeana and even Tergen were missing. Jasmine wasn't surprised that Keeana was. That cut on her neck would take awhile to heal. She quickly scanned the crowd, spotting Chris in noble's garb in an out of the way corner.

She pointed him out to Kaidrec. "That's our driver. Tell him I have the antidote to the potion. Ask him anything else while you're at it. I won't be able to speak with you tonight."

As if her words had been a cue, Roger looked up and made his way towards her. Kaidrec nodded in understanding and quickly went to sit with Chris.

"Rose," Roger whispered, kissing her fingers. "May I ask whom you were standing with?"

She smiled. "You may."

It took him a few moments, but finally he said, "Whom was the man you were standing with?"

"An acquaintance of mine. He was visiting my parents, and they asked him to accompany me," Jasmine hid her distaste at the mention of her parents. She was just glad she wouldn't have to deal with her mother at dinner.

~~

After dinner, Roger offered her his hand. "I'm sorry you didn't get to meet my mother. She was-- anxious to meet you."

Jasmine hid the hatred from her face. I bet she wanted to meet me, if my hunch is correct, she knows exactly who I am. She kept her voice pleasant, however. "I was looking forward to meeting her too."

He glanced around the hall. "Would you like to go for a walk? It can be crowded in here, especially when you're used to only a handful of people around you."

She glanced at Kaidrec, meeting his eyes. "Yes, all these people are-- stifling." Roger led her towards the garden attached to the hall. Jasmine glanced back towards Kaidrec, but he was gone. Chris was gone too. She stifled a sigh as she walked outside.

Slowly, methodically, Roger showed her around the gardens. Jasmine kept every sense on alert. She had picked up secrecy from him all night, and now his movements were getting stiffer by the moment. She also spotted an animal's shadow following them- too far to be seen. The way it moved made her think Kaidrec was in the animal's mind.

When they were out of sight from the hall, Roger let go of her arm. "Rose, did you know I had a sister?"

Jasmine held her wrists, slowly getting her knives out. "Yes. I saw the resemblance last night." She heard movements in the bushes. Her knives became hidden by her arms.

Roger moved a few steps up the path. "No, you saw my younger sister. But, I believe you have met my older one. Her name is Keeana," he turned to face her, eye flashing. "Does that ring a bell, Jasmine?"

She spun around and hurled her knife into an attacker, not bothering to answer. She heard a wolf's snarl, followed by a cry of pain. Roger's words were lost as she fended off other attackers, killing them with one or two blows. She didn't remember when her dagger found its way into her hand, or how many Kaidrec was fending off. Jasmine faltered, and a dagger was pressed to her throat.

"Tell your friend there to leave right now," Roger hissed in her ear. "Or else."

Jasmine froze under his blade. Sweat trickled down her back and face, landing in the shallow wound that was already in her neck.

Roger jerked his dagger upward. "Tell him!"

She grimaced and forced her head down. She met the wolf's eyes. "Go. Please!" She stifled a cry as Roger's knife pressed harder. "Go!"

The wolf whined before bounding into the night. Jasmine relaxed for a moment. At least she wouldn't have to worry about him.

Roger gripped her wrist with his free hand and twisted it behind her. "Now, for payment."

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:20 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I crossed my arms as we entered the dining area, glaring at the empty table where Tergen and my parent's should be. Instead, the only person there was the man Jasmine had identified as Roger. Grimacing, I searched for Ingrid and Waric, but they were also nowhere to be found.

"That's our driver," Jasmine said, pointing to a man sitting in a far corner. "Tell him I have the antidote to the poison; ask him anything else while you're at it. I wont be able to speak to you tonight."

Raising my eyebrows, I opened my mouth to ask why when Jasmine's gaze switched to Roger. Smiling, he stood up and straightened his noble attire, jaunting over to us. Catching the hint, I nodded and cleared my throat, heading towards the driver.

The smell of roast duck reached my nostrils as I made my way towards the back corner, watching around me to make sure that nobody followed me. Servants soon paraded through the large doors leading to the kitchen, carrying tray upon tray of food and drink
Chris swayed in his chair as he sat, a large flask of rum firmly in his grip. I rubbed my face, smart enough to know he wouldn't be drunk. Though, he did make a damn good impression.

"Dere you are, boy!" I bit my lip, finding it hard to interpret Chris between his hiccups and burps. Maybe he really was drunk. "What do ye want with poor li'l old me?"

"I have a messa-"

"A massage! Oh, my back aches, I could use one. Thank goodness you stumbled-" Chris rose with a loud burp mixed with an even louder hiccup, stilling half of the dining area. Blushing, I hid my face in my hands, trying to pretend that a grown man wasn't bending over in front of me, urging a back rub. "Stumbled upon me, that is what I meant lad. The lower back, yes, the lower."

I took a careful step forward, hearing the loud laughter of some women behind me. My cheeks stung as I closed my eyes and slid my hand out of my pocket. "Chris, I'm not sure-"

"Do not use my real name, idiot." Chris hissed in a low tone, grabbing his lower back with one hand and straightening himself.

Relief surged through me. He had been acting. "Sorry, Jas- Rose sent me to you with a message."

Chris sat down, resuming his act of being drunk. He smiled causally at a group of high classed women who stared, causing them to turn their gazes in disgust. "Get on with it, lad."

"She has the antidote."

"Ah, well and good. I trust it has worked?" Chris asked, taking a swig of his rum. I nodded, scratching my head. "Good, good. We thought we had lost you there."

I looked at the ground. Choosing to stray from the topic, I searched my mind for something else to ask him. "We've only been here for three days now, and all this has already happened. Are we going to be joining the ring and rising to the top or just tearing apart its every seam until we find the top?"

Chris shot daggers at me through his gaze. "From the way you acted, it looks like the latter road is the one our wagon will travel." Sensing my question on how it would work, I resumed. "We've just got to have hope that while we unsew, the seamstress will keep sewing."

I furrowed my brow, wishing Chris would speak some sense. "What do you mean?"

"Figure it out, lad." Chris replied, spitting out another mouth full of rum. "Speaking of Rose," he pointed towards where she stood with Roger, indicating his urge to move.

Roger's eyes switched from Jasmine to the garden doors quickly and frequently, indicating his plans. This isn't good, I thought.

"Go on, lad. Think about what I said, you'll get it sooner or later." Chris said, shooing me with one swift movement of his hand.

Nodding a farewell, I turned and jogged through the shadows towards a small door that lead out to the garden. As I went out, I noticed Jasmine taking Roger's arm and slowly following him towards the large garden entrance.

Cursing quietly, I bounded towards a large bush, jumping into its cover and getting comfortable. I would be noticed if I followed Jasmine in my human form, leaving only one choice. Closing my eyes and opening my mind, I made contact with a white wolf who was prowling around the garden walls, searching for one of the cats that often chased mice through the maze like area.

Connecting with her mind, I sensed hunger and longing. She hadn't eaten in four sleeps, and her pack had deserted her when she had failed to kill a large horned target. Still a pup in wolf standards, she was small for her type, making it impossible for her to properly hunt. She whined, failing to sniff up anything by the large cast iron gate other than a few humans.

I surged my energy into her mind, placing my consciousness into hers. I soon became her, smelled everything she smelled, and saw through her colorless vision. I turned from my path leading back into the forest and bounded back into the castle garden, finding shaped bushes to hide behind.

Lifting my nose into the air, I smelled around for Jasmine. I soon found her; she carried an odd scent compared to the other humans. Jogging towards the large castle, I hid in the shadows, avoiding the moonlight at all costs. Certainly a white wolf would be caught in the moonlight.

Spotting Jasmine and Roger as the walked through the garden, I crouched down so my belly was almost on the ground, glad that the large plant fixtures provided endless shade for me to sneak around in. Focusing on my mission, I quietly followed Jasmine and Roger through the garden.

--

After what seemed like an hour of walking and listening to them talk, Roger turned suddenly and led Jasmine into an open area. I paused, fear coursing through me.

His eyes connected with mine as he stopped and stood in front of Jasmine. His lips twitched as he glared at me. He had known I was here. He had chosen a part of the garden where there was no shade.

Their conversation soon turned sour, causing me to growl. Roger took a quick step back as Jasmine turned and hurled a knife towards a hulking figure behind me. He had sneaked up on me. Yelping as the man fell on me, I turned my attention to my surrounding instead of Jasmine. Three men were sneaking up towards me on my right.

Pretending I didn't notice them, I moved into the moonlight, suddenly caught in a fog of tiger lily perfume.
Sneezing, I was caught off guard when the hilt of a sword slammed into my ribs and a blade sliced open my shoulder. Yelping, I turned and fought off my three attackers.

"Tell your friend there to leave right now," Roger said in a menacing tone. I turned as my attackers stopped, spotting Jasmine with a knife pressed against her throat. I barked loudly, lunging towards Roger only to get kicked in the ribs and thrown flat on the ground.

My breath became labored from my injuries, causing my consciousness to flicker. I whined, seeing the fear on Jasmine's face.

"Go. Please!" She yelled, holding back tears. Her voice cracked, causing me to bark again and get to my feet. "Go!"

I looked around, spotting more men coming. Sensing the odds of us winning if I stayed were too slim to chance, I whined and turned around, searching for my human body.

Bleeding, my vision failing, and worried that my real body was dead, I found myself lost in the maze of dolphin shaped bushes and red crab apple trees. I listened carefully for the sound of labored breathing, knowing from past experience that any injuries acquired while in an animals body would affect both my body and the animals body. But, usually, the injuries to my body were worse.

I soon came across a bush that smelled like blood; small leaves on the ground floating in dark liquid. I collapsed onto my belly, lying on my side as I concentrated on returning to my real body. The switch was painful, making it almost impossible to hold back cries of pain.

I opened my eyes, barely able to see in front of me, and barely able to move my left arm. I sighed, climbing out of the bush where my blood resided. I stared at the wolf that lay on the ground in front of my, unconscious. After being in her mind, I had felt her struggle and the weakness that stung her bones. She had been the runt of her litter, barely able to catch a cat, let alone a deer. Taking her small body in my arms, I hoped dearly that she wasn't dead. I wouldn't allow my escapades in animal's minds to kill them afterwards. I refused to steal their souls.

Reminding myself that Jasmine was in greater peril, I set out on a slight jog back towards where I had come from. My stomach was rolled into a tight ball from fear. I wasn't scared about the men who had surrounded her as I left. I was scared for her.

I couldn't keep myself from cursing as I carried the wolf's almost lifeless body through the maze. I had been able to see fine while in the wolf's body, but in my own the dark refused me from navigating my passage. A muffled scream sounded from the other side of the bush I jogged past, causing me to turn around and bolt towards the entrance that led to that part.

Tears rimmed my eyes as I turned the corner. It wasn't where the fight had happened, meaning Jasmine had escaped, but now all that was left of her was her gown that she had been wearing that night. Someone had kidnapped her. Looking down at my feet, I slowly advanced towards where her dress lay, putting the wolf down softly.

A quiet whimper caused me to look back at the wolf as I picked up the dress that was on the ground. Furrowing my brow, I slowly folded the dress to a small roll of fabric that I could place in my pocket. Why her kidnappers had left her dress behind was beyond me.

Another whimper reached my ears, this time revealing a large red fox from inside one of the bushes. I raised my eyebrows, wondering how I had missed the fox and only found the wolf. If I had found the fox I would've had an easier time sneaking. A single tear rolled down my cheek as I shooed the fox with one hand. It didn't move.

Curious, I stuffed the dress into my pocket and reached my hand for the fox. It didn't move to come closer, but the emerald shine in it's eyes caused me to realize what had happened. Jasmine's nick name was Fox. Her spy name. Did she have the powers to turn herself into a fox to save herself?

Closing my eyes, I reached my consciousness out towards the fox. My mind was soon filled hers. She thought about exactly how Roger, her brother, could have pulled this off and why Kaidrec was bleeding. And why that wolf was unconscious behind him.

I mentally sighed. By the way the fox jumped from surprise, I could tell she could hear me. Jasmine? I said to her through my mind. The fox's eyes opened wide. Obviously she couldn't talk back to me. Thank goodness you're alive. But injured... We need to get you into the castle.

The fox moved closer to me, curling up beside my head. Obviously she wanted me to pick her up. But how on earth would I carry both the wolf and her? I removed my consciousness from her mind and put it back in my own.

Fatigue threatened every corner of my body. Blood still spilled from the wound to my shoulder, and the ribs on my right side from where I had received the hilt of a blade and a steel boot ached. I forced myself to get up, sending myself into a coughing fit. Placing one hand on my mouth and the other on my ribs, I waited for the fit to subside before I began to think of a solution. Removing my hand from my mouth, I spotted drops of blood on it. Not a good sign.

"Looks like you had some fun without me," I turned, finding Chris hovering over the wolf. "You know, the castle has enough meat, they don't need-"

"She isn't for meat. I need your help," I said, trying to hide my hand. "I'll explain what happened, just please, help me get these two back to my room."

Chris nodded, understanding. I lifted the wolf as he took Jasmine, leading me back into the castle and through the dining room.

--

I stripped my bed of it's sheets, placing two of the towels that had been left in my wardrobe on the bed. I placed the wolf on the larger of the two, and Jasmine on the other. Minding my injuries, I sent Chris to the medic's room to commandeer some supplies and to get two buckets of water.

While he left, both the wolf and Jasmine slept. I paid close attention to the wounds on both of them before digging out some medical utensils from my bag that I had brought from kingdom. Ignoring the blood I coughed up as I did it, I took some water from my washing bin and poured it over my shoulder, ripping some cloth and tying it around the wound. Placing my shirt back on, I hid my bag once more and set to making sure both animals were comfortable. My injuries weren't as important as helping the wolf and Jasmine.

Chris soon returned with the medical supplies and helped me clean and stitch the wounds on both the wolf and Jasmine.

"You look exhausted Kaidrec," He said when we were finished, helping me clean up. "Get some rest, I wont be leaving you or the other two out of my sight."

"Don't you want an explanation?" I asked, turning away from Chris when another coughing fit came along.

"No. I know what happened, it's easy to guess. You entered the wolfs mind, followed Jasmine, got attacked, and Jasmine was given a slow acting drug to shift her into a fox. Luckily you didn't get the wolf injured too bad. Good thing you aren't hurt, either. I'll need your help the next few days while we try to shift Jasmine back."

I grimaced. Obviously he had missed the blood on my shoulder and my hand. Sighing, I walked over to a small sheet lying on the ground and collapsed onto it, using the small pillow to keep my head up as I drifted off to sleep.

*okay. I this one a bit long XD I made it so that it took a while for Kaidrec to find Jasmine, giving time for the drug to kick in and shift her into a fox. If you want to start your post from where I run away that would be great. Also, Kaidrec will be getting rest, then when he wakes up he'll tell Jasmine about his parents and how he thinks it's his fault. Enjoy xD*
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:44 am
Rosendorn says...

*You obviously did.... Now, to see what I can do.*

Jasmine tensed again. Kaidrec might be safe, but the knife at her throat was cutting deeper. She couldn't remember what happened when an animal speaker got injued. Her mind was fogging farther then it had before.

Roger let go of her hand. In a moment a vile was pressed to her lips, and perfumed syrum ran down her throat. Liquid fire followed. Jasmine screamed, but it was muffled by her own mouth. Roger let her drop, but she couldn't feel the ground under her. Pain racked her bones, her organs, everywhere. It smotherd her, bringing her mind to blackness.

~~

Slowly sensations came to her. Heat, fur, the ground under her paws. Paws? Jasmine got up and walked out of fabric. Just when she thought she had gotten out, something pressed down on.. what felt like her spine. She turned and saw a bushy tail, fur-- the potion Roger had given her, had caused her to shift.

Jasmine heard a sound and dove into the bushes. Her shoulder and neck stung, and she still felt her necklace pinching her fur. She whimpered at the pain, but stopped herself at the fuzzy memory that the noise might be preditors. She shook her head. The noise might be enemies.

She saw Kaidrec some around the corner. She thought it was him, at least. It was hard to tell, seeing only fuzzy grays. He put a white wolf down and went to her dress. Jasmine came out of the bushes and whined again. The edge of her mind told her something, but she couldn't make it out. All she knew was that he could help her.

He looked at her. She saw a shimmering trail go down his cheek as he shooed her away. She didn't move. He held his hand out to her, but Jasmine couldn't remember if that was to get her to come closer. She felt his mind in hers. Human thoughts broke through the fuzziness in her mind. Roger, he's done this to me, but how? Kaidrec'ss bleeding from his shoulder, but he hadn't been hurt before. Had that been the wolf he had been in?

She felt him sigh. Jasmine jumped at the suddenness.

Jasmine?

Her eyes widened. Could he hear her? How could she talk back to him?

He continued. "Thank goodness you're alive. But injured... We need to get you into the castle."

She walked up to him, laying on the grass by his head. Her shoulder hurt too much; her neck hurt too much; she couldn't move any more. She felt his mind leave hers, and any strength she had gotten from his consiousness left with it. Her mind clouded over, and she closed her eyes to blackness.

~~

Jasmine woke up to a low throbbing in her neck and shoulder. She tried to move her front paw, and yelped from the pain.

Somebody stroked her spine. "Hush now, you're okay."

Her eyes focused. She could feel traces of her power, her human mind. She reached for them, and felt who was around her.

Chris? She looked up to see it was him. She cursed, remembering that only Kaidrec could talk to animals. She whimpered instead.

He rubbed behind her ear. "Do you want to see Kaidrec?"

Jasmine nodded, noticing the wolf next to her. Chris gently lifted her up and brought her to where Kaidrec was sleeping. His shoulder was bound, as were his ribs. His skin had a gray tinge from blood loss.

Now she remembered. If the animal a person's mind was in got injured, the person got injured much worse. Jasmine looked up at Chris, hoping the consern was visible in her eyes.

"He'll be alright," Chris reassured her. "But worn out from all the work he did yesterday, and his injuries. He saved your life, you know. Had he not come along when he did, you'd have bled to death.

I know! I know! Jasmine couldn't help thinking that. She licked Kaidrec's cheek. Please, wake up.

Kaidrec stirred, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Jasmine? You're alright?"

She nodded, letting out a small yip. Was it possible to talk to him, even if he wasn't in her mind?

"I re-bound your wounds," Chris said, keeping an eye on the wolf. "You're pretty badly hurt Kaidrec."

"I know," he rasped, forcing himself to sit up. "But taking care of the wolf and Jasmine are more important."

Jasmine nipped his hand. No it's not!

Kaidrec's eyes widened. "I thought you couldn't talk to me!"

She shook her head. I was drugged then. I'm not now. Kaidrec, you always take care of yourself first. If your wounds worsen because you didn't take the time to heal yourself, then... she trailed off, forcing herself to admit what she knew would happen. Then this whole mission is a lost cause. Chris can't do this all on his own. After you recover, then we still have a chance!

"What's she saying?" Chris asked, getting bandages ready. "You're wounds need to be re-bound next Jasmine."

Kaidrec stroked her head. "That I need to take care of myself first, and if I don't, we'll never finish the mission."

Jasmine growled. That's not what I said!

He looked at her sternly. "It's close enough."

Chris nodded in agreement. "She's right, you know. You have to take it easy. After everything, we'll need to lay low anyway. You should use the time to heal."

Kaidrec shook his head. "I should know all this! You'd think with everything I've lived through-- I at least would have been able to save you." He was looking at her by now.

Jasmine licked his hand. It's my fault I got drugged. I, just, couldn't sense them. And you did your best, she pointed to his ribs with her nose. I wouldn't have done the same thing in your place.

Kaidrec closed his eyes, and Chris was forgotten. He spoke to her mind only. "No, you wouldn't have. Either of you would have found a way to go back and help. I-- I just can't do this."

She licked his hand to comfort him. Kaidrec, I don't know your past. I don't know what's causing you to think this way.

"But- you knew about my parents."

Jasmine shook her head. I guessed about your parents. I never tracked you. He was silent, his hand buried in her dark red fur. She cocked her head to the side. Tell me.

He opened his eyes and sighed. "Alright. I'll tell you."

*Let me know if you want that last line as mind-speak or not. And right now I have it that he can only mind-speak with her without going into her mind. And, I couldn't let her be silent until she shifts back! :P*

17 Reviews

Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:30 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I took a deep breath, running my hand through Jasmine's soft fur. Chris stood on the other side of the room, pouring two glasses of water. I cleared my throat, motioning to the door. He nodded, taking the hint.

Jasmine looked up at me, waiting patiently for an explanation. I closed my eyes. "I was born in Kingdom, despite my looks. My mother and father were both spies for the king of Fenrai, and were sent to act as servants of some sort for the king and queen in Kingdom. Just as my grandfather had been. Well, my father worked as the queen's hand with her animals. We all know how she loved them. And my mother was the seamstress before Reina took over. They made an amazing living, and just like everyone else in the castle, they were never second guessed about their intentions." I paused, taking a sip of water from a cup near my bedding.

Go on, Jasmine said, stretching.

"Well, one person second guessed them. The queen's second hand guard, Harold, always had suspicions about them, since they were always so interested when it came to the affairs of the king and queen. And, both had immediately chosen positions with higher pay that were very close to the queen; the richest source of information. So, my parent's got busy, so to speak, and my mother was soon pregnant with me. Soon after, Harold mysteriously disappeared. My father had tortured him and forced everything he knew out of him." I paused again, sorting through the memories in my head. "My parent's kept on the act, and everyone bought it. When I was about ten or so, something bad happened. I never knew what happened, but that night while I was asleep my parent's deserted the place. They took everything except for the clothes on my back, my bed, a small stuffed bear I had, and this," I got up, limping into my study and grabbed the note I had hidden from everyone. Coming back into the room, I plopped down beside Jasmine with a grunt and let her sniff the paper. "They left me this note. Here, I'll read it to you."

"Kaidrec:

I know it will be hard to bear losing your father and I, but we cannot risk ourselves by taking you with us. You just aren't enough for us. You are only ten years old, but we had hoped you would show signs of magic by now. We are sure you will understand. Our mission has been jeopardized by caring for you, so we no longer shall.

Kaidrec, do not attempt to find us in Fenrai. It could prove fatal.
"

I closed my eyes, fighting back a wave of weariness. "I figured out then that my parents were spies. It burdened my heart for a very long time, and it forced me to grow up faster than a child should. I never really had a childhood. When my parent's deserted me, the queen took me under her wing and gave me the care of her animals. Her menagerie was my idea, something to keep me stimulated."

Jasmine whined and crawled into my lap, licking my hand once.

"They recognized me at dinner the other night. It's my fault this all happened," I said, suddenly dizzy.

Jasmine whined again. No, Kaidrec. It's not,
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:17 am
Rosendorn says...

I.. haven't told you everything. I couldn't. Not while you were entranced. Jasmine felt his hand tense and quickly added, That's not your fault either. You know Roger is my half brother, right?

He stroked her absently. "That was in your mind when you first shifted. But he's the same age you are."

She growled. A year younger. My father was only my mother's lover, Jasmine tempered her anger before continuing. Keeana was his sister. Therefore, my half-sister. And, this potion was my mother's handywork. As was the one that entranced you.

"I still don't see how that led to," he cut himself off.

Jasmine shifted off her injured leg. After I asked you to leave, when Keeana broke into your room, I saw you getting entranced again. I couldn't let her get away, not without getting the ingredients from her. When she denied knowing anything, I identified her as my mother's daughter. She gave me the ingredients and fled. Somehow, my mother got drugs into my food. She must have found a way to make drugs I can't detect. After you left in the garden, Roger gave me the activator. I-- I don't remember anything else.

Kaidrec scratched her chin. "Any other half-siblings I should know about?"

Leane.

He stopped petting her. "Leane? The girl that was sitting with my parents?"

She nodded. The same. Reason I didn't believe the list Ingrid and Waric had.

"How could they not see it?" he muttered. "It's right in front of them."

Jasmine whined, feeling her wounds begin to throb again. It's the tiger-lily perfume. I'm immune to it, thanks to my magic, but most people aren't. I get my magic from my mother, and she wouldn't risk herself or her children. Most of her children at least. Jasmine added bitterly. She shook her head. My mother always uses flowers in her potions.

Kaidrec gently rubbed her shoulder. "Did she use flowers in-- this one?"

I- I think so. she shook her head to clear it. I don't remember much.

He bit his lip. "It might be possible for me to identify them if I go into your mind. I would have to sort through your memories though."

Not now, she said quietly. We're both too tired.

He nodded in agreement as Chris came back, with food.

"Everything all settled?" he asked.

Kaidrec nodded.

Chris smiled. "Good. I brought you all some food, including meat for the wolf and Jasmine."

"Her wounds--" Kaidrec began.

Christ took out the medical suplies. "We'll tend to them now. And the wolf seems to be waking up."

The wolf's nose twitched; soon her eyes were open. She sat up with a whine, eager for food. Chis threw the largest chunk of meat at her, letting her gnaw on it while he cut away Jasmine's bandages. Before Chris pulled them away, Kaidrec wrapped his hand around Jasmine's muzzle.

"This'll hurt," he warned.

She flattened her ears. I know.

Slowly Chris pulled away her bandages, being careful that her damp fur didn't rip out. Jasmine let out a sharp whine as her wounds got cleaned, glad for Kaidrec's hand that kept her from howling. By the time things stopped hurting, her wounds had been re-bound.

She shook her head and sat up, her paw in the air. Can I have my food now?

17 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:59 am
FinalFreedom says...

Chris yelped in surprise as Jasmine stuck her paw into the air and swung it at the plate in his hands, almost causing him to drop it. Shooting her a glare, he quickly dropped the plate in front of her, then gave me mine.

"Is she usually that pushy?" He asked, walking to the bed and sliding down to the floor, quickly stuffing meat from his plate into his mouth. I stared at the meat and fruit on my plate.

"No," I said, holding back a grin. "Just be happy she didn't bite you." Jasmine yipped, amused. Chris grunted, following my finger with his eyes as I pushed around a piece of fruit. "I'm not very hungry, I think I'm just going to take a walk."

But your injuries- Jasmine looked up at me, a piece of meat hanging half way out of her mouth. I smiled, shaking my head.

"I'll be fine,"

"You've been coughing up blood," Chris said, his mouth full. "It isn't a good idea."

"I said I'd be fine, Chris." I pushed my plate to a spot beside Jasmine, slowly lifting myself up, hiding the pain that plagued me at the movement. On my feet, I lost my balance and fought to keep myself up, grabbing the wall beside me. I laughed, pretending to have slipped on the blankets below my feet.

Chris grunted, avoiding my gaze. "You sure about this?" He asked, reaching over Jasmine and stealing the meat off my plate.

I nodded, making my way across the room, hiding the dizzy spell that still caused my vision to spin. I grabbed the handle of the door as I came to it, twisting it with effort to get the door to open. I staggered out, closing the door quickly and letting the dizziness topple me over.

Lying on the floor, I waited for the spell to subside before getting back onto my feet and heading down the hallway towards the main area.

*sorry to end it here, but I figured I'd give you some room to react with me out of the room etc. I'll add in the empty office in my next post, and maybe even some drama >:3*
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:09 pm
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine finished her food and jumped off the bed to sit by Chris.

"I'm worried about him too," he whispered, stroking her head.

She pointed to the door with her nose, hoping he'd understand.

He followed her gaze. "You want me to follow him?"

Jasmine nodded and yipped.

Chris shook his head. "You're more defenceless then he is right now. I'm not leaving."

She growled and nipped his hand. Chris clamped his hand firmly around her muzzle. "I'm not taking that from you. If he says he's fine we have to trust him." Slowly he loosened his grip. "But, I'm wondering."

Jasmine's ears pricked at a soft thump from outside. The door clicked open, and tiger-lily perfume flooded the space. She yelped, running into a corner. Chris dropped to the floor, unconscious.

Roger entered the room, flanked by two guards. "Get her."

Jasmine scrambled out of the way, running between their legs and under their feet. Her shoulder began to throb again, but she didn't care. She skidded on the tile floor as she rounded a corner and stopped dead in her tracks.

Her mother, Rachel the Tigress, was in the hall. Jasmine was about to whine but growled instead.

"Jasmine, glad to see that potion had a nice effect on you," she said sweetly. Sweetly like overripe fruit. "It's just a shame Roger let you escape."

"I won't let that happen again Mother," Roger said, rounding the corner. Jasmine tried to run, but the hallway was blocked. Roger's hands clamped around her sides, and he lifted her off the ground.

"Stop struggling dear," Rachel purred, pulling a flask out of her belt purse. "It'll all be over soon." She uncorked the flask and held it under Jasmine's nose. Jasmine tried to turn her head away, but the smell was too strong. She tried to stay conscious, but her eyelids were growing heavy. She closed her eyes, and went limp.

*They won't kill her, but they will try to break her either as a fox, or a human. Have fun! :P*

17 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 am
FinalFreedom says...

*Okay, I'm going to attempt to write this WITHOUT it getting deleted for the 5th time...*

I stuck my hands in my pockets to warm my fingers as I headed toward the office wing. It was still too early in the morning for the servants to be hustling about trying to get everything ready for the days activities, leaving me alone in the hall. Even with the sense of security I felt by my disguise, I still watched my back frequently to ensure that I was alone. The people who had changed Jasmine into a fox, surely they would want to come back for me, also.

I soon reached the main area of the office wing. Six different hallways stretched from the open area, all lined with large black doors. Only the most important people got offices here, all of which doubled as living quarters. I headed down the hallway on the far right.

The sound of shuffling filled my ears as I neared the middle of the long stretch. I looked behind me. No one was there. I shrugged and kept walking, headed towards the last door on the right.

"Kaidrec," I stopped just before the door and turned around quickly. Nobody was there. "Kaidrec..."

"Who's there?" I hissed, placing my hand on the knob and turning it. No answer. I grunted, turning my attention away from the hallway and into the room in front of me. The smell of tiger lily perfume drifted into my senses.

Grabbing the small flask that Jasmine had given me to cure me of Keeana's trance, I drained it of it's contents before searching the room. Except for the piles of scattered paper and broken wood, the room was empty. The once lustrous red drapes were covered in rips and tears; they didn't even cover the windows.

"Ingrid? Waric?" I said into the air. The only reply I was given was the sound of the door behind me screeching to a close and my own voice echoing off the stone walls. Kneeling down, I grabbed a handful of the papers that were on the floor and looked over them.

Kingdom spies:

The two you have informed us of are not as innocent as they seem. They are here to kill the king. We must stop them.

My heart stopped. Had Ingrid and Waric been working for our enemies the entire time? Jasmine would have to see this. And how could they think I would be after killing the king? I couldn't kill someone if it meant saving my own life.

I folded the piece of paper up and stuck it into my pocket, getting back up and walking towards the door that led to the back room. Ingrid had once rushed into this room and brought out a flask that cured my illness. My stomach felt empty. I had never grown close to Ingrid and Waric, but the feeling of our entire mission being betrayed sunk my hopes. I would never make it out of here alive.

I shook my head and walked into the back room. Flask upon flask lined the single wall of counters, all full and labeled. The curtains in this room were still the same red beauty as they had been in the main area. A large bed was on the other side of the room. Nothing had been changed in this room.

I walked over to the counter that held all of the flasks and read all of the labels. There were: Antidote to Tiger Lily Perfume, Antidote to Shapery, Antidote To Love, Antidote To Illness, Antidote To Shape-. The labels soon became too small and messy to read. Interested, I grabbed the Shapery and Illness flasks, and the perfume flask just for good measure. I had used up all of the supply Jasmine had given me.

After surveying the rest of the room, I walked back out into the common room, once again assaulted with the tiger lily perfume. This time, though, I couldn't move my arms to drink the antidote I had just taken. My hand opened it's grip and it fell to the floor, shattering.

"Kaidrec." Keeana said quietly, mimicking the voice I had heard in the hall. She stood in the doorway, draped in a black robe. No wonder I couldn't see her in the barely lit hall. She sighed. "You should have known better than to snoop, Kaidrec."

"I came to talk to Ingrid and Waric. They weren't here, so I tried to find them." I hissed, trying to move my limbs. Keeana laughed.

"So you snooped," She said as she removed the hood of her robe and moved towards me. "Changing into that wolf was both brave and stupid. You're lucky my men didn't kill you."

"What do you want, Keeana?" I hissed, managing to move my arm an inch. Soon she was right in front of me, draping my senses in her retched perfume.

"No, no. I'm lucky they didn't kill you. They saved the pleasure for me," She said, pulling out a bronze dagger and slicing the lower half of my shirt. Soon my stomach was out in the open, sending shivers up my spine. "Just stay still, this will be over quickly."

I flinched as the tip of her knife hit my stomach, slowly driving in. Now would be the perfect time to find out one of those two had followed me. Keeana dug deeper, making me grunt in agony.

"Now now, don't be doing anything stupid." I switched my gaze from Keeana to the doorway. There stood my father, a long white blade poised in fighting stance.

"Great, now there's two of you. Can you just get it over with, please?" I looked at the ground. Would Jasmine even wonder what happened? Would she care, or would she just say 'it happens'? Keeana dug deeper into my with her knife. I hated the sensation of hot blood slowly dripping down my stomach; not as much as the feeling of it coming up.

"Yes, let's." Keeana poised to thrust deeper and end it all in one shot, but she stopped. My father stood with his blade to her neck. How on earth had he gotten there so quickly?

"Leave, Keeana. We told you to leave him and Jasmine be. We are going to deal with them." He said, reaching his other hand out to grab the dagger that was half way into my stomach.

"They aren't yours to deal with, Bard." Keeana hissed, slapping his hand away.

"And yours neither, Keeana. If they're anyones, it's the king and queen of Kingdom. Now be gone, foolish wench." Bard gripped Keeana's hand as he took the hilt of the dagger with the other. By now I was wincing in pain, almost ready to die. Couldn't they just hurry up?

Keeana growled, releasing her grip and storming from the room. I followed her with my gaze, before returning it to my father. The very man who had left me behind eight years ago now saved my life. Irony at its best.

"What do you want?" I hissed, trying to ignore the fact I had a dagger sticking out of my stomach.

"We need to get back to your room so we can take this out. We have to do it there, or else you'll bleed to death on the way. Here," Bard took of his robe and put it on me. "This will conceal the blood already there and the dagger. We cant have anyone getting suspicious, now can we?"

"Why, all of the sudden, do you care?" I asked, stopping Bard dead in his tracks. His gaze lowered, bringing with it the ocean of uncried tears. "You and your wife left me to die. Why should I trust you?"

"Because you should, Kaidrec. I can help you,"

"By leaving me to die after getting close to me once more? I'm sorry, Bard, but I refuse to go through that torture again." I hissed, pushing him away from me. The dagger moved slightly out of my stomach, sending pain shooting up my body.

"We had our reasons," he replied in a muffled tone.

"What? I wasn't powerful enough for you? You couldn't care for me? You were a good for nothing spy who only gave a damn when it came to finishing your mission. You didn't even care to notice that I did have powers. All you wanted was your-"

"Silence!" Bard yelled, gripping my shoulders. His sapphire eyes were rimmed with tears. Inside them I could see a history of grief and dispare. There wasn't one day he hadn't regretted leaving me, was there? "Your mother never wanted you. She lied to me about it; told me that you were in the coach waiting for us when we left. She said you were asleep, and not to disturb you. It wasn't until we were a days travel away from the castle that she told me you weren't with us. I never wanted to leave you,"

"So why come back now?" I asked as he pulled me towards the door.

"I was still in shock when we got back to Fenrai. I had planned to come back, but your mother and I got so embersed in dangerous acts that I didn't have the heart to return. It was either leave you there with a chance of safety, or bring you here to sure death." Bard laughed, rubbing his face as we walked out of the room and closed the door.

"What are you laughing at?"

"Now, look at our situation. I tried so hard to keep you from coming here, yet here you are. When your mother told me, I hardly believed her. I kept telling myself that you would never come, that the queen would take you in and you would never see fit to leave." He said, releasing me from his grip and hugging himself with his arms.

I sighed. "I didn't exactly have a choice," Bard looked at me quizzically, raising an eyebrow. "I'll tell you some other time, right now we need to just focus on getting back without getting caught. Or dying."

--

After a long walk of being half carried Bard, we finally arrived back at my suite.

"Right here," I said as we got in front of the door, surprising him. He obviously had thought it was either the next one or the one afer that. What would have happened if he had tried a secret midnight kindapping? He definitely would have been in trouble if he came upon Jasmine.

Pulling my keys from my pocket, I handed them to Bard. Odd, I didn't remember locking the door. Maybe Chris had locked it, just to be safe.

"Did you leave it like this?" Bard asked, refusing to step in the doorway. I had kept my gaze on the ground the whole time, trying to keep my mind off of the dagger protruding from my stomach. I looked up.

The room was a mess. The sheets had been thrown all over, the wolf was missing, and Chris was limp on the floor. Panic surged through me. Jasmine was missing.

"What is it?" Bard asked, holding me back from trying to storm into the room.

"Jasmine," I said. "They took her."
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine slowly came to. She felt drugs in her mind, a preventive measure to her escaping no doubt. Pain burned across almost her entire body, mixed with cold wind. She tried to curl up to warm herself, but her movements were restricted.

She looked up. A human arm went above her head, wrist locked in a chainless shackle. Jasmine forced her hand closed, just to make sure she had shifted back.

She let her eyes roam around her surroundings. Her wrists were shackled with a metal bar between them, a chain going from the center to the ceiling. Her feet were touching the floor and tied together with a simple rope. That was one bright side at least. She could kick with both feet if needed. But she wouldn't show it until then. One wrong move, and she would lose that advantage. Jasmine knew her mother's type. Rachel would rather torture a prisoner endlessly, trying to get them to break to her will, then kill them. Jasmine hoped this wasn't the time she was wrong about a personality trait.

Jasmine continued to look around the room, feeling her freshly-cut hair brush her shoulders. She gulped, knowing what would happen as soon as her mother realized she was awake.

The room itself was rather bare. No windows lined the walls, and most of the space was empty, minus a small boiler in the corner. Jasmine was far enough away from the walls that a person could easily walk around her. Cold sweat broke out on her back. Without turning Jasmine knew what was on the back wall: whips and iron tools. She looked at her clothes. Only a short skirt and breastband covered her, leaving as much skin uncovered as possible. Fear began to cloud her mind. Jasmine pushed it away, knowing it was the drugs at work. She could survive this. She had been tortured before-- but never by one as heartless as Rachel. Jasmine shook her head. She. Would. Survive.

A door clicked open behind her. She stiffened, knowing the worst was to come.

*I'm going to draw this out as much as possible to give you time to put your own stuff in*

17 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:37 pm
FinalFreedom says...

"Drink this," Chris said, forcing a small golden flask between my lips and pouring it into my mouth. I ignored the need to gag, to spit it all out, and swallowed it all. Distaste clogged my senses.

Chris towered above me as I lay on the bed. He had woken up soon after Bard and I had entered the room, and had gone scavenging in Jasmine's room for some sort of antidote to heal me quickly. "Fox always has something" he had said. "And we can't have you mortally injured while trying to find her."

"Thanks," I grumbled, sitting up on the bed. Bard sat on the other side of the room, fast asleep by the door. "His snoring could wake someone under a sleeping potion."

"I hadn't counted on the healing antitode making you a grouch," Chris replied, helping me onto my feet. I struggled to stay up. "Too fast?"

"A little," I said, c losing my eyes. I hadn't counted on nausea. "How did my wound look when you last rebandaged it?"

"As good as a stab wound could, Kaidrec. With the antitode I just gave you, that, your ribs, and any other injuries you may be hiding will be fully healed in two or three days. While we're doing that," Chris grabbed my arma nd ushered me into my study, forcing me down onto the chair and closing the door behind us. "Tell me what he knows."

"What?"

"Why did you bring him here?" Chris demanded, making sure the door was locked before plopping down on the floor in front of it. I shrugged. Why had I brought him here?

"He's my father, first of all. He also saved me from Keeana, and said he would help-"

"By doing what? Getting you caught too?" Chris' face flushed red as he gripped his knees. "We can't risk it, you shouldn't have borught him back here!"

"I trust him, Chris." I said quietly, annoyed at the fact he was trying to interrogate me. "I'm not working against you, and neither is he. Now, if we have any luck of finding Jasmine, you'll need to shut up and work for me."

"What exactly do you mean?" Chris asked, slowly rising back onto his feet. I shrugged.

"Trust me, and don't ever do this again." I hissed, standing up and shoving him out of the doorway. He growled loudly as he hit one of the shelves and I opened the door, walking out.

--

Lying down on the bed in Jasmine's room, I closed my eyes and forced my body to relax. Here, I wouldn't be disturbed by Chris or Bard, and I could find what I needed to faster. At least, I hoped.

Opening my mind to my surroundings, I pushed my consciousness out as far as I could, searching for the wolf that I had occupied and almost killed not too long ago. After what seemed like hours of searching and only finding mice and rats, I finally located the same need to survive and the loneliness of being left behind by the pack.

Don't go after that Tabby, I said in her mind, startling her. The maid's are liable to smell the blood and find you.

Are you the one who saved me? she asked, moving towards the small black closet that had been her home since the last setting of the sun.

Yes, and also the one who injured you. Listen, I need your help,

You have done what my pack would not. What would you have me do? she asked in return, waiting patiently for instructions.

I need you to follow my commands carefully. There is someone very important who has gone missing, and I cannot find her without you. When I tell you to, I need you to expand your consciousness out as far as you can with my help. Together, we can reach her mind and find her. I said, mentally crossing my fingers. Wolves had been known to refuse certain methods of doing things, especially if it put themselves in danger.

Agreed.
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 pm
Rosendorn says...

"Good, you're awake." Rachel said behind her.

Jasmine snorted. "You knew I was awake before you even walked in here."

Rachel chuckled. "You haven't lost your tongue, have you."

"Why did you even turn me into a fox if you were just going to turn me back?" Jasmine snapped.

Rachel moved to stand in front of her. "A fox is much easier to transport then a human. I did not count on your friend coming when he did."

Jasmine stiffened but remained silent. Even when drugged her spy training took hold. It would be safer for everybody if she didn't say anything.

"No matter," Rachel continued. "I come here for a reason. Would you be willing to work with me?"

"Never!" Jasmine hissed. "Why should I forget what you've done?"

A whip snapped behind them. Rachel chuckled. "Your freedom, of course. Join me now, and those chains are gone."

Jasmine met her mother's eyes. "Being chained here is better then being chained to you! You ordered the death of my brothers, my father, just to save your own life."

"Dear, that was just to save you," she said sadly. "I couldn't see you killed. I have always wondered if that was the right thing to do."

Jasmine closed her eyes, feeling her mind fog over more. Her eyes snapped open. "You only want to use me, like you do Roger and Keeana. I'm sure Leane is next on your roster."

She gasped as a whip lashed her back.

Rachel had gone hard again. "At least I have loyalty from my spies! You're alone here."

The whip cracked again. "You have fear from your spies," Jasmine said through the pain. "If I have people to work with, they give me their loyalty out of their own will."

Rachel sneered. "Where are they now then? My spies will risk their own life to save mine."

"And you kill those that won't." Jasmine snapped back. She turned her shoulder as she got hit again, face twisted in pain.

"Silence!" Rachel roared. "If you ever want to see the light of day you will agree to work with me."

Jasmine smiled. "I'm not afraid of the dark."

Rachel took a step forward and grabbed Jasmine's necklace, ripping it off her neck. Jasmine winced at the pressure to her spine. Rachel stormed out of the room as the whip cracked a fourth time.

~~

Jasmine shuddered with weariness as the guard finally left the room. She had lost track of the blows after fifty. Her tolerance for pain was high, but sometimes it was more a curse then a blessing. On the verge of passing out, Jasmine knew now was one of those times. Her wrists were already raw from the chains, and her back was covered in scabs. Three stripes across her stomach marked when Rachel had come back to offer Jasmine freedom again.

Jasmine let her head drop, welcoming the blackness on the verge of her mind. Physical pain was nothing to what emotional pain Rachel had given her.

She was about to close her eyes when she felt a flicker of another consciousness brushed her mind. Jasmine stirred, sensing comforting familiarity. Without her necklace her range went-- farther, deeper. She knew this was an animal, but there was something human about it as well.

Kaidrec?

The response came back almost instantly. Jasmine!

17 Reviews

Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:51 am
View Likes
FinalFreedom says...

Jasmine! I proclaimed through the wolf's mind, glad to have finally found her. Her mind, at least.

Kaidrec, how did you-

When you were taken, the wolf escaped also. I found her with my connection to animals, and she agreed to reach her mind out to you to help me find you. We doubled the distance. Jasmine sighed. Her mind wavered; the pain was too great and the exhaustion too draining.

I don't know where I am, Kaidrec. Jasmine said. She had always known where she was, and it obviously frustrated her to not know this time.

Relax, I will find you. Can you tell me anything about where you are, or who captured you?

My mother, and the rest of my so-called family. The place I'm in: it looks like a dungeon. Or maybe a store room, Jasmine replied, her mind slipping further away from mine. I panicked as our mental connection severed, but I easily brought it back together.

Wait, I said, suddenly realizing something. Doesn't your family own a large portion of the southern castle?

Yes, Kaidrec. Why?

That's it! The maps of the castle Ingrid and Waric gave us, they indicated that all of the abandoned storage rooms were on the southern end of the castle, the same part your family owns. Hold on Jasmine, I'm coming for you!

Please, hurry... Our mental connection severed, leaving me solely in the body of the frightened wolf. The hall had become overpopulated with maids and servants, and she risked being found. After telling her the way back to the room, I thanked her and released her from my mental grip.

--

Waking up with a jolt in Jasmine's room, I found Bard leaning over me in a concerned way, and Chris leaning against the door frame, scowling. Bard jumped back as I rolled off of the bed and fell onto my knees, quickly standing up once more and bolting in the office attached to Jasmine's main room.

Inside weapon upon weapon was laying on the desk and surrounding bookshelves. Knives, swords, masks to protect against gasses. Everything we'd need to stage an attack and save Jasmine.

"What is going on?" Bard demanded as he stomped into the room. His face, just earlier creased with lines of worry, was now red with anger. I had given him quite the scare.

"Father, it's Jasmine. I know where she is. She's in the southern wing, in one of the abandoned warehouses." I said, grabbing two sets of pocket knives and a switchblade.

"And who took her?" Chris appeared beside me, perturbed.

"Her parents. We must hurry, we don't have long. Grab what you can use, you'll need it."

--

I stood at the entrance to the southern wing, wearing one of the masks I had found in Jasmine's study and secretly covered in different knives. I'd have something to fight with, no matter what.

Bard stood next to me, holding two daggers in his hands and pointing one towards a staircase. "We go that way," he said quietly, leading the way. Chris and I followed quietly, glaring at each other. He didn't forgive me for what had happened, that he had made very clear.

At the bottom of the stairs we were confronted with a musky smell mixed with tiger lilies. Only one door lay ahead of us; the place where they held Jasmine.

"Are you sure this is it?" Bard asked, appearing beside me. His hands shook as if they were part of an earthquake. I looked him over.

"Yes, I'm-"

"So, you found us, did you?" I looked up to see the door in front of us open and Keeana rubbing a small cloth over the knife she held in her hands. "It's too late, Kaidrec dear. For you, and her."

Almost on cue, I heard a scream from inside the room. "We won't be the one's dying tonight," I said in a low tone. Looking to my left, Bard still shook, but Chris was nowhere in sight. I growled; had he been part of the scheme?

Keeana laughed, walking towards us and closing the door. "We wouldn't want you to see all the fun going on in there," she said, taking two more steps towards us, her sword pointed at me. I looked from her to the door, then to the large shadow that loomed behind her. Chris.

Keeana's cry of shock and agony chilled my bones as her body toppled to the floor, and Chris' form became easier to see. He had sneaked around her somehow. His face was solid as stone. Had he killed before? Chris was not a man I would like to be on the wrong side of, that was for sure.

"Let's keep moving," he said in a whisper, turning towards the door and bursting it open with his foot.

"The knob would have worked," I said from behind him, eager to push past him and save Jasmine.

"So would have the poison Keeana laced it with." Chris replied, turning around and shoving past me. I winced. Was I falling into a trap? I had almost fallen for that one.

I looked up from the ground. The room in front of us was dimly lit, giving light to table upon table of inhuman instruments. But in the middle hung Jasmine. Limp and bleeding from countless lashes of a whip, the small pieces of cloth that had covered only small areas of her body hung from their intended places and were torn and shredded.

Bolting into the room without thought of there being someone else that would attack us, I headed for Jasmine, holding back the urge to shout her name. Behind me, Chris and Bard both cursed wildly at me for being so stupid. I ignored them; Jasmine needed to be saved.

I reached her form at the same time I realized no one else was in the room. Whoever had been in here when Keeana had confronted my small group had fled through a door on the other side of the room. Now was not the time for mindless pursuits; that could wait until later.

I walked to Jasmine's front, fighting the urge to place my hands on her wounds. My body stung with guilt as I surveyed her injuries. She didn't appear to be awake. Reaching up, I tore the switchblade I had taken from my pocket and swung it at the ropes that held her arms up and kept her feet from touching the ground. Placing my arm around her, I worked at the rope for what seemed like hours before it finally came loose and she toppled into my arms.

Gently lying her on the ground, I struggled to remove the remaining rope that bound her wrists together. Bard and Chris stood at opposite sides of the room, surveying everything and running their hands over the various tools of torture. As I moved my switchblade to the rope that held her ankles together, I grabbed one of the sharper knives that I hid under the sleeve of my tunic. It was surely sharper, and would cut the rope faster.

Throwing the parts of rope I had removed from Jasmine's body, I ran my hand along the marks they had left in her flesh. As I cautiously ran my finger from her wrist to her elbow, Jasmine stirred. Her green eyes were glossy, her face lined with exhaustion.

"Kaidrec?" she stammered, looking at me then her free wrists. As she realized that she was lying on the floor, free of her binds, I ignored every warning sign in my head that told me not to. Leaning over her, I locked my body with hers in a passionate kiss.

*Okay, that was the best I could do for the time of night. Also, I posted on the Eragon storybook.*
Anti-Peta.

Mudwesterner
— BlueAfrica