z

Young Writers Society

Spy Magic

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:09 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I put my head down lightly on my hands as I watched the sun set in the distance from the comfort of my menagerie. The Queen had wanted to have exotic animals, so she made the menagerie and put me in charge. Only, all she bought was birds. Shaking my head, I turned to see the lines of multi colored feather balls nesting among the trees.

Calling out to them, I told them goodnight. Their chirps eased my worries as I left the menagerie, remembering that the King and Queen had requested audience with me. Why? I didn't know. The servant who had told me had said it was very urgent and even more important. Maybe the Queen was finally going to get some rare Snow Lynx?

Folding my hands behind my back, I walked with relaxation and confidence. I was a servant, yes, but at the same time I wasn't. Most people believed I was somehow related to both the King and Queen, and quite possibly their son. It wasn't until they noticed the small chain around my left ankle that they ignored me.

Being talked to was nice. I was no socialite, that was for sure, but as a servant, being noticed earns you respect among the many ranks of servantry. Especially if it was a noble. I had been noticed by every single noble in this castle, except for one. Her name was Jasmine, or so she had been called. I didn't know her story, nor how she ended up a noble. She was the only one who never seemed to notice me. I shrugged it off; all I needed was my animal friends and I would live through anything.

As thoughts raced around in my head about what the King and Queen could possibly want, I had managed to walk the main halls unnoticed and unperturbed, soon arriving at the throne room. Just as I brought my hand up to knock, the doors opened and I was pulled inside.

The room was vast, with a large vaulted ceiling and tapestries that depicted epic battles and extraordinary rulers lining the walls. The floor was crafted out of ocean blue marble, and covered by a gloss that allowed it to shine in the light from the windows above the thrones. Red carpet lined the walk way to where the King and Queen sat, holding each other's hands, a worried look on both of them.

"Your Majesty," I said, bowing to the King, then doing the same for the Queen.

"Kaidrec, you have arrived early! We are still waiting for another," The Queen said in an ecstatic tone, a look of pure glee on her face.

"One more, Majesty? Is this meeting not about the animals?" I asked, cocking my head slightly to the side. My black bangs fell in my face with the movement of my head, forcing me to lift my hand and push them behind my ear once more. I had been blessed with crudely straight hair, in the darkest of all colors. More over, people always noticed my eyes first. The bright crystal tone always attracted even the fairest of ladies.

"No, no, Kaidrec. The meeting is on a much more important matter." The Queen said, amusement lacing her tone. I looked down at the ground, content to sit and wait for whoever it was that was expected.
Last edited by FinalFreedom on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

-- Vael/Nathanael, Guild Wars: Eye of the North

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:46 pm
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine walked along the silent halls to the throne room. She kept making sure her wrist knives were safely hidden in the velvet sleeves of her dress. She never knew when a nobleman wouldn't take no for an answer.

She touched the sapphire at her throat. It wasn't warm; nobody was in the shadows. She could have chosen any stone to tell her that, but she liked the way this sapphire matched her eyes. They were dark aqua, set off by her chocolate brown hair.

Jasmine opened the doors to the throne room and lifted and eyebrow. The bird keeper was there. She had watched him since arriving at the castle, as was her duty. But there had never been any point to talk to him, no matter how much those flashing eyes had called her over, until now.

"Hello, Kaidrec," she said smoothly. She curtsied towards the thrones. "Hello, Majesties." She walked over and knelt next to Kaidrec.

The king and queen paused, giving Kaidrec enough time to whisper, "How did you know my name?"

She smiled slyly. "You'll find out soon enough, dear bird keeper, just you wait."

"You must be wondering why you have been called her," the king began. "Or, have you already guessed?"

"Fox, do you deny that you do not know?" the queen remarked after a brief silence.

Jasmine lifted her head. "I do not deny it Majesty, but I will not confirm it. A lesson I was taught is never speak unless you know the answer."

The king smiled. "It was a good idea calling you here, then. Kaidrec, do you have any idea?" Kaidrec shook his head. The king nodded. "Very well. My brother, the King of Frenai, has declared war. The timing is simply too perfect, which is why we have called you."

"Only those in the castle know of the death of our chief advisor, which makes us believe that Fernai has spies amongst us," the queen continued. "The only reason we are talking freely now is because Jasmine would have let us know if somebody was about. Therefore, we are sending you to Fernai before the boarders are closed. It will be your task to break the spy ring."

Kaidrec lifted his head, a look of bewilderment in his eyes. "Why me, Majesties?"

The queen smiled. "Jasmine, whom is also our Fox, has told us of your abilities. It was why you were made keeper of my menagerie. You have shown signs of animal magic, which you are able to control, and your ability to be noticed by every class will make you perfect for this task."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:15 am
FinalFreedom says...

I paused. The task seemed all too noble for someone like me. My father, his father and his father's father had all been servants in this very castle. None of them had powers. So why should I be different? Looking from the Queen to the King, then over to Jasmine, I slouched slightly.

"What exactly will Jasmine and I be doing, Majesties?" I asked, wanting to hear the explanation again just to ensure that I wasn't in a dream.

"You will be traveling over to Fenrai to find clues about an assumed spy ring. Once you find it, you will join it, and destroy it from the ground up. Is that clear enough for you, Kaidrec?" the King said, getting up from his throne and walking to one of the nearby tapestries.

I nodded, straightening my back. "And when do we leave?" I asked.

"You leave tomorrow afternoon." the queen responded. I looked down. Could I really give up caring for all of my birds to follow an assumption?

"And what if the spy ring really is just an assumption? Did you not say that the border is closing? I wont be able to get back to my bir-"

"Birds shmirds. Never question the authority of a Royal, Kaidrec. Besides, you'll find even more exotic animals in Fenrai, be grateful." Jasmine said. I look over at her, holding back a glare.

"Jasmine is right. Your position will be filled by myself, and by Tourin when my attention is held elsewhere." I looked up at the queen. Tourin? Little pig-legged Tourin? He couldn't even care for his family dog, let alone watch thousands of birds. "A list of things you will need to retrieve and pack has been sent to both of your rooms. Food will be supplied in a big enough portion to last you the three day trip to the border, after that you are on your own. Good luck, for now. We will be there to give you leave tomorrow."

With that we were dismissed. Jasmine appeared overly pleased that she had been sent on this mission, as if she had expected it. She was a noble, after all. They expected everything. I was different, though. I was dreading this. Could I really infiltrate a spy ring? I may have had a connection to animals, but that certainly does not mean magic -- does it?
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:01 pm
Rosendorn says...

*Jasmine is snobbish but not that snobbish! Mostly she's cold. But she does warm up.*

Jasmin got up and watched Kaidrec leave.

"Do you have something to add, Fox?" the king asked when she didn't move.

"I do, Highness," Jasmine curtsied without taking her eyes off the monarch. "I wished that you had consulted me before making any arrangements for Kaidrec's replacement. You, my queen, are very adept with birds, but I have watched Tourin just as well as Kaidrec. Tourin, despite his appearance, is not suited to birds. I would suggest Liliam, or let Kaidrec make his own choice."

The queen snapped her fingers. "Jasmine! Who else have you been watching without our consent? I thought Kaidrec was the only servant you were watching!"

"Now, dear," the king said, patting his queen on the arm. "I'm sure the Fox has her reasons."

Jasmine smiled. "Thank you, Sire. To answer your question, I watch everybody. It is only if they show signs of..... talent that I report them."

"If that why your list of possible partners included servants?" the queen asked suspiciously. "People we had not asked you to watch?"

She looked at the floor. "Highness, if I had made the list to my own desires it would have been mostly servants. You underestimate their capacity."

The king sighed. "Jasmin, have you thought of a replacement for yourself? You insisted on taking this mission, even though your ties to Fernrai are strong."

She shook her head. "Sire, I have tried to train replacements, but they have all quit from the work. Select three spies from your elite: one to watch the servants, one for the nobles, and one for your safety." She rose and headed for the door. Before leaving, she turned around. "Who will replace Kaidrec?"

The queen closed her eyes. "He has the choice. We will--"

"There is no need to send a servant," Jasmine cut off the queen, a place few dared to tread. "I will tell him personally."

~

Jasmine walked over to the menagerie. Silently she opened the doors and looked around the dim room. Most of the lanterns had been extinguished, but one was still lit. Kaidrec was in its pool of light, a lovebird on his finger. His mouth was moving, and the bird was nodding and rubbing his finger in response. Jasmine looked to a dove that had just woken up at her presence. Jasmine flicked a finger, calling her over.

The dove flew from it's nest and landed on her finger. "Go see him Sri," she whispered, nodding towards Kairdic. "He needs the company." Sri nodded a flew to land on his shoulder. Kaidric smiled at the new bird and rubbed her chest with a finger. When he saw Jasmine he looked away.

Jasmine walked up and sat on the bench next to him. "I talked to their Majesties. You may make the choice to your replacement. And once the ring is broken, we will return."

He turned his head toward Sri as the dove rubbed his cheek. "They might forget me," he whispered.

She let another dove land on her shoulder. "Not these birds. They're indebted to you. And, they rarely forget an animal-speaker."

"How do you--"

"Know? The birds told me." She stroked the bird on her shoulder, smiling at the small peck-kiss she got. "You have until tomorrow to decide your replacement. Here is a pass you'll need to retrieve some of the items on the list." She pulled out a magicked card from her belt-purse and gave it to him. "I will see you tomorrow." She stroked the bird again and whispered he should go back to his nest. Once the bird was gone she got up and left.

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm
FinalFreedom says...

*Sorry I didn't post yesterday, I was so busy getting stuff ready for christmas*

I looked down at the pass in my hand. Obviously some of the items on the list were restricted for servants, but wouldn't a list in the king and queen's writing be enough? Maybe not.

Setting both birds down on the table, I got up and walked towards a small door hidden by vines. Along with owning the menagerie came living inside of it; I had been given a new room close to my birds. The actual room, though, was outside of the main doors. This room I used was built to be a cage for a smaller animal, such as a Bobcat, or a Snow Lynx. It was just homey enough for me.

Opening the letter that I had retrieved from my other room, I scanned the list. Daggers, poisons, swords, black clothing; the list had everything a spy would need. I had done previous spy work in my life, using animals. The only way I could be a spy in my body is if I was sitting in a barrel inside an important room. Stealth to me was being inside an animal's mind.

My mind lingered on the word poison. Had they known about that, also? Had they known my ability to create and use concoctions unlike any other? This situation was all too suspicious for me. I was just a servant boy who spent all of his time in a room full of birds. What good, exactly, could I be?

I quickly changed out of my smelly clothing. I needed to get this weapon hunt done before I slept, giving me all morning to bid farewell to my birds and find them a new caretaker. I had been told it was up to me, but really, it was up to them.

Chirps greeted me as I entered the sight of my feathered children once more. I had become too accustomed to their greetings, but maybe Jasmine was right. Maybe I would find more animals, aside from these birds. The world outside was a big place, filled with animals. But not me. I lowered my head as I walked past all of them towards the large doors. I was leaving my life behind, and I just wanted to forget it.

"Black, black, and more black! Are you not allowed to wear any color?" I forced a smile as the queen's seamstress, Reina, examined my clothing order. "Good thing I have lots of reserves of black cloth,"

"How long will it take you to stitch up all of this clothing, Reina?" I asked, scratching my head. She smiled, walking into a small room, out of my sight.

She soon came out with a pile of black clothing. "Oh, not long. We just need to try these on you so we can get measurements. Now, I hope you don't mind tight pants," she said as she handed me a pair of black pants and a black tunic.

Quickly undressing, I watched her with a wary eye. I had never been one to show my body off. I slipped the tunic on first. It was a tighter make, built to stick to every muscle and curve. Perfect fit. Next the pants came on. They also were tight, built the same way. Also a perfect fit. I turned to Reina.

"Perfect!" She exclaimed, tying a long yellow string to my thigh. "I'll fit you for a sweater, also. You might need it, the tunic doesn't protect against cold well. Oh, and leather gloves and boots. No worries, Kaidrec, I'll get you everything you need."

I quickly changed back into my other clothes. Bidding her farewell, I walked out of her large room, and took a deep breath. I checked my list. There was still much to accomplish, too much. "To the blacksmith," I muttered under my breath, walking down the hallway. It was going to be a long night.
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:16 am
Rosendorn says...

*S'okay, I probably won't post tomorrow, fair warning.*

Jasmine walked to her room near the entry to the Noble's Wing. Her room was small by noble's standards, but it's position meant she sensed everybody that entered the Wing.

She broke the seal on her list. Antidotes to every kind of poison was on it, along with contact lenses to change her eye colour. She already owned all the weapons and clothing she would need.

Carefully she pulled her packs out from under her bed. They were Fernrai make and dubiously big. She would need as much room as possible to pack everything for this mission. She didn't doubt nobles would be part of this ring, and it would be her job to talk to them. Hopefully she wouldn't attract attention.

It wasn't like she hadn't done this before. Sweet talking nobles was how she had gotten her into this castle in the first place. It was a skill she had learned from her mother, before they had parted ways.

She stretched and went to her closet. Hidden under the false bottom she found her weapons collection. Short sword, long sword, two daggers and a large collection of knives. She dug deeper and pulled out a spiked strip she could weave into her braid. Jasmine pulled them out for later inspection and looked at her clothes. Black leather shirt and pants, black cotton shirt and pants, a hood to pull over her face and black leather boots with knives hidden in the toes. She rummaged through the folds of cloth and pulled out her climbing claws. The thick, curved metal spikes would hook into most masonry. It was also the only armor her hands and wrists needed. It was the only armor she needed.

Jasmine pulled most of her black clothes out and checked them for tears. When she didn't find any she put them in her packs. She went over her weapons carefully, putting some aside for repairs. Mostly it was her knives. She hadn't gone over them in weeks.

She packed a handful of dresses and threw a full purse on top of the clothes. She would have to ask the king and queen for more tomorrow, just in case that wasn't enough. Jasmine looked over her jewellery collection and put some in her bag. Enough so people wouldn't doubt she was noble.

Jasmine plucked a smaller bag from behind her door and put her knives inside. She could repairer them herself, but it would be much quicker to use a blacksmith. And, she was running low on those supplies. A month of field-work had taken it's tole.

~

Her knives dropped off at the smiths' she made her way to the mage's wing.

"I'd like to see Jerr please." She said to a novice by the door.

"I'm sorry, he can't see anybody at the moment."

Jasmine lifted her chin. "He will see me." Before the novice could deny it she pulled out her card. The novice paled and nodded.

"He's in his study, Lady."

She smiled. "Thank you." She picked her way past other mages and entered Jerr's office. The room was lined with magical instruments and gemstones.

"Hello young Fox!" Jerr called from an adjoining room. "You're just in time for my latest invention!"

Jasmine went over. "Very nice. A new light source?"

He nodded. "Yes, and it works--"

"I'm afraid I don't have time for that," she said quickly. "I need antidotes, and contacts."

He smiled in understanding. "Ah, a new mission. What colour would you like this time?"

"Brown. And green, just to be safe." Jasmine looked at a cabinet. "You're antidotes are in the same place?"

"Yes," he reached under his table. "But I have a pack for you ready....."

She opened the cabinet and rummaged through the jars. "I'll use that, but I'll need more. And the raw ingredients." A bitter chuckle escaped her lips. "New partner."

Jerr put two small boxes in her bag. "How, pray tell, did you come across this one?"

She smiled her best fox-smile. "Rumours."

He rolled his eyes and put a third box in her bag. "Your world is rumours, Fox. The final item is a new broach I've been working on. It's tuned to your power."

"Thank you." She took her bag and pouch of antidotes. A few more found her way into the small bag before she closed it. "Goodbye." She wormed her way out of his study and back to her room.

17 Reviews

Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:24 am
FinalFreedom says...

I woke with a jolt. Nightmares had flooded my head while I slept. Would I actually be able to do this? Would I die along the way? There were too many risks, but maybe it was time I started taking some.

Getting up and quickly dressing, I stretched at the sight of the sun just newly in the sky. Grey clouds plagued the horizon, making it evident that the beginning of my journey would not be enjoyable.

I walked into the menagerie, intent on finding a new care taker for them. Many people had crossed my mind; Tourin, the Queen, Jerr, Reina. None of them seemed suit. There was one boy, though. His name was Rahn -- Reina's son. He had shown a keen interest in my birds many times prior, so who else should hold the reins?

On my way to collect my clothing, as well as talk with Rahn, Jasmine came into my view. She was down the hall, scurrying about. Intent on ignoring her to the best of my abilities in order to keep my mind set on my duties, I walked tight against the wall until I reached Reina's quarters.

She answered after only two knocks.

"Kaidrec! Good, you've come. I realized that there may be times that you will need something extravagant on your mission so I took the liberty of making you two suits and some colored clothing. I hope you don't mind." She said quickly, pulling me into her large suite and running for her closet.

"Yes, thank you Reina. I have a favor to ask of you, though." I said as she came bounding out of her closet with a pile of clothes.

"Anything for you, dear. What will it be? Silk, cotton? Polyester, maybe?" She said, grinning. I laughed, shaking my head.

"No, not clothing related. Rahn," I began, taking a deep breath. Rahn's approval or not, I needed his mother's first. "Has shown deep passion for my birds. I have thought long and hard about this, and would like to ask him to watch them while I am gone."

Joy flooded her face. Reina smiled widely as she handed me all of my new clothing and rushed into another room, pulling Rahn after her. His eyes were wide with hidden excitement.

"Really, Kaidrec? Can I?" He asked, hope lacing his voice. I nodded, almost dropping an article of clothing.

"Yes, definately. We've gone over what you will need to do before, you remember?" I smiled as he nodded. Moving closer to Reina, I kissed her on both cheeks, as was custom. I then tilted my head forward slightly and proceeded to the open door. "Rahn, do well with them. Win their favor, and you will never be disappointed."

A slightly over dramatic exit, yes. But there was nothing else I could do. With my bird heir chosen, all that was left to do now was finish packing and eat. Of course, saying good bye to the birds too precedence.

"Hello, Kaidrec." I turned at the sound of a somewhat cheery voice. Jasmine stood behind me, smiling slightly.

"Hello, Jasmine." I replied, looking down.
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:34 pm
Rosendorn says...

"Rahn," Jasmin said quietly. "An interesting choice."

"You were listening?" Kaidrec still wouldn't met her eyes.

She chuckled. "Of course. Here," she handed him a midnight blue cloak. "I asked Jerr to make this for you. It'll help you stay dry-- and out of sight."

"Thanks," he looked at her through his bangs. "Do you know how we'll get to Fernrai?"

Jasmine touched the gem at her throat. "Coach."

"But-"

She held up her hand, silencing him. Her sapphire was warm. Silently she walked to an adjoining hallway and grabbed the man standing there. He yelped before she pressed her wrist to his throat. Jasmine knew he felt the blade hidden there.

"Who do you work for?" she hissed in his ear. "And it would be wise to answer me."

"Nobody, my Lady."

She shifted her wrist, making sure the knife's edge rested on his skin. "I will ask you again, who do you work for?"

He sputtered; she loosened her grip. "I-- I don't know."

"Surely you do," she said smoothly, using his neck to help pull out he wrist knife. "People don't usually listen around corners, unless they're curious, or spies."

"What makes you so sure I'm a spy?" he accused, grabbing the chance she had left him. "I could just be curious."

She snaked her hand to his belt purse and reached inside. Her fingers contacted a hard disk, with the word Fernrai faintly etched on it. "So you're not a spy?" She whispered, falsely innocent. "What's this then?" She pulled the disk out and held it in front of his face, keeping her knife at his throat.

He shook under her grip. "I-- I don't know how that got there! You--"

"Silence," Jasmine pressed her knife against his throat once more. "You are under arrest for treason, by order of the king and queen."

"Who are you to order this?" his word drew blood from her knife.

"The Fox."

He fell to his knees, blood dripping down his neck. "I surrender."

She loosened her grip sightly. "Good. Kaidrec, get the castle guards. Tell them I have a spy for questioning."

~~~

A few minutes later, after the spy was taken away, Jasmine handed Kaidrec the spy's seal. "Now do you doubt there are spies in the palace?"

17 Reviews

Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:32 am
FinalFreedom says...

"Now do you doubt there are any spies in this place?" Jasmine asked me with sullen intensity. I looked down, my face turning bright red.

Why had I doubted it? Fenrai hated his brother, so why would he not send spies? If I was to survive longer than a fortnight on this mission, I would definately need to start using common sense. Enough with this over thinking fiasco.

"I suggest you hurry and finish getting ready, our caravan leaves soon." Jasmine said as she brushed past me. Nothing about her portrayed spy. From what I had learned, spies weren't elegant at all. She was.

Blushing more as a maid rushed past me, one eyebrow raised, I bent over to begin picking up my items from the floor. Rahn spotted me through the open door of his quarters and rushed out to help me, accompanying me to my room.

Privacy was definately never to be mine on this mission. If Jasmine had listened in on my conversation between Reina and Rahn as intently as she had, nothing would stop her when it came to anything else. As secure as it made me feel, I began to wonder if I was safer around a ring of high class spies than I was Jasmine.

Dismissing Rahn after giving him a small piece of paper with ink scribbles all over it, I pulled out the large bags I had acquired from the tanner. Made only of the finest cow hides -- or so he had said. I quickly folded my clothing around my array of knives and poisons and stuffed them in the bags.

The sun was high up in the sky, but it was not yet the afternoon. I savored my chance to roll my eyes over the surrounding hills and forests. Of all I had heard of Fenrai, the land was not mountainous. Forests covered the grounds like they did here. Or so I hoped.

Lifting my bags and dropping them in the menagerie, I wandered over to my small, maple wood desk and pulled out the pass Jasmine had given me earlier. Not that I would need it as anything but a memento of home. Strange, a peasant calling a castle home.

I eyed my birds. All of them were surrounded by the blue tone of strangled excitement. It pained me to know this would be the last time I laid my eyes on these birds. I would find new, more exotic wildlife on my journey, but I could never forget what I had here.

Reaching my hand out, I stopped myself before I called out to all of them. Saying good bye would only make parting worse. Lifting my bags, I closed my eyes and followed my well known path to the menagerie door.

Without looking back, I walked out of the menagerie and down the long halls.
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:56 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine waited in the main courtyard, a deep purple cloak around her shoulders. A few drops of rain fell on her head, and she pulled the hood up to cover her hair.

A slow pulsing from her sapphire let her know Kaidrec was coming, still brooding about his birds. She sighed and turned to face him.

"I told you," she whispered. "We're coming back once the ring is broken."

He wouldn't look at her. The slower pulsing from her gem told her he didn't believe her. Jasmine put her fingers under his chin and made him meet her eyes. "I wouldn't lie about this, Kaidrec. This is my home too. And I know, we will be back." She held his pale crystal gaze, still seeing the shadow of doubt. "If I have any say in this, we will be back. And soon."

"You lovers coming?" The driver called from his seat.

"We're not lovers," she snapped back, letting Kaidrec go. She took her skirts in one hand and climbed into the coach. "You can ride in here too, until we get to the boarder."

He shook his head, dropping his gaze again. Jasmine saw his cheeks beginning to turn red.

She settled into her seat. "You can change your mind when we stop to rest. It'll take us three days to reach the boarder."

Before he could climb up and close the door she did it herself. When he looked at her, startled, she smiled. "Trust me," she mouthed. "We'll be back."

He shook his head and climbed up next to the driver. Jasmine sighed. When they reached Fenrai they'd be working together. He would have to trust her.

She looked out the window as they started moving. Kaidrec wasn't like any other person she had met. His nature would allow him to reach places she wouldn't be able to, and his animal spies could go farther. Jasmine hoped he'd trust her come the boarder. Once past it, they were the intrudors. Even though she had a contact to dress their coach in Fenrai style, they would still be under suspision.

A light tap at the door drew her attention. A dove, one she had talked too many times on the road, was knocking on the window. Jasmine opened the sunroof enough to let him in.

"Nice to see you, Lee," she whispered, rubbing her nose in his feathers. "I missed you."

Jasmine shifted her shoulders, fully aware that Kaidrec was looking at her. She stood on the seat and stuck her head out the sunroof. Sharp wind laced with icy water hit her face and hair.

She tucked a stubourn strand behind her ear. "What is it?"

"Nothing," he said quickly. turning away.

Jasmine was about to respond when she decided to let his answer stand. She rested her elbows on the roof and let the wind whip around her. She let the chill creep down her arms and neck. She took it in, not caring it would take an hour to brush out her hair.

"Get down from there!" the driver called when he saw her. "It's not safe."

"Safe for you isn't nessesarily safe for me." She replied coldly.

He gritted his teeth. "Get down from there or I'll--"

She took her weight off the roof. "I'm going down already!" Jasmine closed the sunroof and sat back down. Lee flew onto her shoulder and rubbed her cheek.

"Thanks," she whispered. "It'll be nice to have company."

17 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:26 am
FinalFreedom says...

After the small click sounded that meant Jasmine had closed the sunroof, I allowed myself to make on small glance back at her. She sat with a small white dove on her shoulder, rubbing it's head against her cheek. Smiling, she used one finger to rub the top of the dove's head. Sighing, I returned my glance to the bumpy road ahead of me.

Resting my elbows on my legs, I put my chin on my hands and closed my eyes. The questioning looks of all of my -- Rahn's birds as I dropped my bags haunted me, causing my skin the prickle. Why had I not said good bye?

"What's been on your mind, boy?" I looked up at the driver who sat beside me. "The trip to the border will take us no less than five days, you can't get away with not speakin'."

I forced a small smile. "I just don't know if I'm ready for this," I said quietly, knowing Jasmine was listening intently.

The driver laughed and rubbed his chin, pulling on his long grey beard. "That's exactly why you are." He said. I gave him a quizzical gaze. What exactly did he mean by that?

"And that means?" I asked, scratching my head.

"You'll figure it out sooner or later," He said with another laugh. I grumbled. First I was going on some adventure about some spy ring, and now I was sitting next to a riddler.

I heard Jasmine laugh quietly. I turned my head once more and looked at her. Clearly she understood. Rolling my eyes, I focused on my surroundings.

The sound of the wind blowing through the tree's soothed my body. Birds sang in unison as they flew above us from tree to tree. A mother rabbit bounded along the side of the road, searching for food for her babies. A Pack of wolves stood just beyond sight in the forest, eyeing the coach curiously. A loud, high pitched scream sounded from somewhere ahead of us. I opened my eyes in a panic.

"Did you hear that?" I asked the driver, gripping my seat. He nodded, then pointed into the distance. I could see a stopped caravan ahead.

Men in black clothes rushed around it, throwing things out of the wagon. Two of them held a struggling lady, another holding a small child by it's foot off the top of the wagon.

Anger coursed through me, knowing there was only one thing to do. Searching once more for the wolves I had found, I entered one of their minds.

I looked from side to side. Six black wolves stood behind me, ready for action. I had found the pack leader. Letting out a loud bark, I began to run towards the troubled caravan. More barks sounded behind me, telling me that the pack was following me.

I stopped the pack just in front of the caravan, letting out a howl to alert the men of our existence. Raising my hackles and baring my teeth, I began to growl. The pack did the same as me. I could sense the fear in the men in front of us; it satisfied me to know I was winning. Slowly moving closer to them, I barked and lunged slightly, causing the men to scatter.

Slipping into predator mode, I chased after the closest target and bit his ankle, giving the rest of the pack the go ahead to take down the other men. It only took two more being bitten for them to call retreat. Dropping everything the held, the men rushed back into the forest, yelling loudly.

I rounded the corner of the wagon to see the woman who had been screaming cradling her child. The child was not breathing. The mother cringed at the sight of me, jumping up and rushing into the coach that had been pulling the wagon. Barking quietly, I released myself from the wolf's mind.

I opened my own eyes to see I had fallen from the wagon. I was lying in a puddle of mud with the coach driver and Jasmine standing over me. The fact I didn't have anything to hold me in my seat while I was absent from my mind was obviously the reason I had fallen.

"Are you okay, boy?" the driver asked, extending a hand to me. I grabbed it and allowed him to pull me to my feet.

Nodding, I looked at the damage. My whole back was covered in mud, and my hair was matted together with it. Grumbling, I began to follow the driver back to the coach when Jasmine grabbed my arm.

"Were you in those wolves' minds?" She asked me quietly. I shook my head.

"No, just the pack leader. They were dangling a child, I couldn't let it go-" Jasmine glared at me.

"You could have just jeopardized our mission. What if there had been a spy watching?" Her voice was laced with anger. I pulled my arm away from her.

"But there wasn't." I said, climbing back onto the coach. Jasmine grumbled and climbed back inside, slamming the door shut.
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 pm
Rosendorn says...

*You might want to make this PG-13*

At midday they stopped by a stream, if only for Kaidrec to change his clothes and wash the mud out of his hair. While he was gone Jasmine sat by a tree, a drawn sword in her lap and throwing knives in her belt. Everything was hidden by her cloak. She wasn't about to go unarmed after those men. Lee had left an hour ago, and at her request had talked to Kaidrec.

Her head snapped up as Kaidrec cleared the trees. She twitched a finger to call him over, her cold eyes telling him he didn't have a choice.

"What is it?" he snapped, brushing wet hair out of his eyes.

Jasmine ran her fingers down her sword's spine. "Never let anybody get away. It's easy to break into a mind, even a trained one, and retrieve images. You're lucky those wolves still had the order to kill, or else we might have been captured before we even reached the border."

"You weren't going to do anything," he said coldly. "Nobody was! I had to do--"

She whipped her sword point up to his throat. "Never think I won't do something to help. Were you so focused on that mud that you didn't see this sword in my hand?" His silence was her answer. She put her sword back in her lap. "I thought so. If the enemy is attacking I will defend the victim."

Kaidrec rubbed his throat. "You have no heart if you kill just to make sure you don't get caught."

Jasmine stiffened, her eyes going wide in terror. Memories of that day still haunted her. "My father let one get away once, when I was ten. It was just a lackey, nobody higher then that. Within a week we were ambushed," she put her face in her hands so he wouldn't see her tears. "My mother traded my brother's lives for her own. I saw them get killed! My father, Richard, Joseph... and my mother was smiling the whole time." She had to stop. She saw the blood, so much blood-- her brothers' cries ripped at her ears. She had been helpless to save them!

Kaidrec put his hand on her shoulder. "I-- I had no idea. I'm sorry."

She got up, pushing him away. "Remember that next time you're about to let a lackey escape." Jasmine picked her sword up and sheathed it before going back inside the coach. Once inside she lay down on the seat and let tears consume her.

17 Reviews

Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I sat in stilled silence for what seemed like days. I could hear Jasmine sobbing from inside the coach; clearly I had upset her. It was something I had a knack for doing, upsetting people and all.

"Stop," I said to the driver after many more moments of silence. He shot me a glare.

"You best not be talkin' to the Fox about emotional things, boy. It won't go over well." He said, focusing his attention once more on the road.

"Why do you always know exactly what I'm going to do?" I grumbled, preparing to jump off my seat. The driver grabbed my shoulder.

"Because you're predictable. If you want to be a good spy, you ought to change that," He said quietly. I sank out of his grip and onto the ground, waiting until the coach had come to a full stop before climbing inside.

Jasmine immediately sat up and tried to cover her face. I shook my head.

"I could hear you. No point in hiding it," I said, scratching my head. Stealing a gaze at Jasmine, her stone cold glare almost turned my heart solid. I looked down. "There's something you aren't telling me, something that could jeopardize our mission. Me playing around in an animal's mind could give us away, yes. But so could you hiding important information from me. We're a team now, we can't hide things if we truly want to be one."

Jasmine wrapped her arms around herself and looked out on of the coach windows. She said nothing; only the sound of her breathing came from her side of the coach.

"I'm prepared to wait as long as it takes. But sooner or late you'll tell me, and my bets are on sooner."
Anti-Peta.

1272 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:41 am
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine rubbed her shoulders. She knew Kaidrec was stubborn. He hid it well, but he could be a terrier with the best of them.

Just like her.

The thought brought a thin smile to her lips. "You're finally starting to think like a spy, even though I knew you'd come."

"Because I'm predictable," Kaidrec murmured, hanging his head.

"No," she tapped the gem at her throat. "This lets me know people's moods, and when they're around. Reason I'm a better spy then most."

He sat next to her. "Could-- could I see that?"

She lifted the gem off her skin, but didn't take it off. "I've had it since I came into the King's service. I don't take it off. Ever," She hid the fear in her eyes as he cupped the sapphire in his fingers. He could pull her forward so easily. Trap her. Force himself on her.

Kaidrec let go of the stone. "It's beautiful." Cautiously he stroked her cheek. "You're trembling."

Jasmine looked at her hands and cupped them at her chest. "It's--" she couldn't finish. She couldn't brush this off. Not anymore. "It's my past."

"How?" he put his hands over hers. "Jasmine, tell me."

She swallowed the lump in her throat, letting his hand rest on hers. "After my brothers were killed, they- they were going to kill me. My mother stopped them, saying I would be 'useful.' When they couldn't get me to work for them, they-- tried to force themselves on me. Bless my father, he had taught me how to defend myself. I escaped, but they caught me again. This time they sold me. A spy from the Kingdom sensed something from me and bought me on the black market. He'd been working for Lord Russel, and when I got there, he adopted me. It's thanks to him I have the training I do. When I was thirteen my skills were great enough for me to be presented to the king and queen. I was made a spy then."

Tears trickled down her cheeks. She could still remember the cold fear from escape, the way the guards had played with her-- and the fresh pang of leaving her home, only to go back to her nightmare.

He put his arm around her and drew her against him. "And, your mother? Do you know anything about her?"

Jasmine heasitated before leaning her head against his chest. "I've kept track of her. She's-- currently with the man who killed my father."

She felt him gulp. "Anything else?"

Jasmine clenched the seat cushion. Should she tell him? Could she?

"There... are a few more things." Kaidrec waited for her to continue. She curled into him farther, trying to talk through the pain of the memories. "I-- I got some of my power from my mother. The gem-speaking, that is. Animal speaking I got from my father. And, I have half-siblings. They might share my power, and it wouldn't be good if we ran into them."

She felt his breath on her head. His words were barely a whisper. "Don't tell me..."

Jasmine nodded. "I'm from Fenrai."

Kaidrec put his other arm around her, letting her cry into his shoulder. "I didn't mean to remind you of this."

She put her hand on his chest. "It wasn't you. The closer this mission gets, the more this haunts me."

"You hid it well."

"I have to," she whispered, voice broken. "A spy is almost useless if they can't hide emotion." Jasmine took a few more shaky breaths. "Now you know why-- I'm like this."

Kaidrec brushed another tear away. "Thank you, for trusting me."

Jasmine tucked her feet under her, enjoying his arms around her. She hadn't told anybody what had happened. Not even Lord Russel knew what happened before she came into his service. The king and queen knew where she was from, but not why she left. She sighed with relief. The pain from those memories wasn't as strong any more.

She opened her eyes a crack to see moonlight through the window. She closed her eyes slowly, listening to Kaidrec's breathing. He wasn't asleep, not yet at least. Jasmine shifted a little and slipped into sleep.

17 Reviews

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 pm
FinalFreedom says...

I watched the forest outside quietly through the coach window, my arm still wrapped around Jasmine. I hadn't expected what she had told me, after all, I was used to noble's living perfect lives. She hadn't, though. She was different.

Sleep wouldn't come to me tonight. Too many thoughts rushed around in my head about what I had learned, and the choice of whether or not I should tell Jasmine my history hung over me. I had never told anyone about my father or my mother, and I wasn't sure I was ready to yet. Besides, how well would telling someone that my father was a spy for Fernai go over?

The moon was high in the sky when the driver finally stopped the coach. I waited until he had fully unleashed the horses and tied them to nearby trees to let go of Jasmine and climb out of the coach. Before closing the door I made sure she was still asleep. She was, for now.

The driver was soon stretched across the front bent on the coach, wrapped in blankets and snoring loud enough to wake a lion. I quietly made my way over to the horses.

These horses would accompany us to the main town in Fernai, where Jasmine and I would then be presented our own horses. The trip to the capital would be a long one, and these two animals were the closest I would get to other life until we reached our destination.

Running my hand over the first one I came to, I sensed relaxation and comfort coming from the mare's body. She enjoyed and needed my touch. I moved over to the next mare, who was harder to see due to her black coloring in contrast to the white of the other. Running my hand from the tips of her ears, through her mane, and down to her tail, I sensed tension. She was used to be touched and didn't like it. In the Kingdom, it was an often occurrence for people to buy black horses, especially those people who intended on murdering innocent travelers during the blackest part of night. I used my own mind to reach into hers and calm her, letting her know I was a friend and here to protect her. After she calmed, I did the same with the white mare.

Satisfied, I walked a little deeper into the forest, keeping the horses in my sight. It had only been a day since we began traveling in the coach, and already I needed time away from it. Sitting down against a large oak tree, I placed my hands on my head. Jasmine had step siblings in Fernai that would pose a large problem. I had my mother, my father.

I had doubted sleep would come to me, but I soon was falling in and out of consciousness.
Anti-Peta.

[while trapped in a bucket of popcorn] You know what the worst part is? It's not even butter. We're gonna be destroyed by... ARTIFICIAL FLAVORING!
— Blake Bradley, Power Rangers Ninja Storm