z

Young Writers Society

Spy Magic

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:30 pm
Rosendorn says...

*Her eyes are more blue then green, btw*

Jasmine gasped in pain as his hands touched her back. Kaidrec pulled away suddenly, worry etched on his face.

Chris knelt beside her, gently touching her lower back. "They branded you. That's why you screamed."

She nodded weakly, feeling her mind begin to slip into blackness again. "They did everything they could--" her breath became laboured from pain. "But, I wouldn't agree."

"Agree to what?" Kaidrec asked, still holding her loosely.

"To work with my mother," she rasped. She couldn't say anymore. Her throat was parched, her body trembling with pain. Kaidrec lowered her back to the ground, and she heard Christ say something. A few moments later a flask was pressed to her lips. She could barely taste the liquid that flowed down her throat, but Jasmine felt it's effects. Her wounds stopped stinging; her weariness was kept at bay; her magic sharpened.

Once the empty flask was taken away from her lips, Jasmine opened her eyes and carefully sat up. "Saved--" she coughed, clearing her throat. "Saved by one of my own potions."

"You recognized it?" Kaidrec asked, helping her stand up.

Jasmine nodded. "I test them on myself. And that's one I often use."

"How--?"

"You don't want to know."

"Come on, let's get you out of here." Christ said, putting a cloak around her shoulders. "Can you walk?"

Jasmine nodded. "For the next while, at least. Once that potion wears off..."

"Then let's move," a third man said. Suddenly leery, Jasmine made sure she had a dagger in her cloak.

~~

They reached her room without a problem. Once the door was closed and locked, Jasmine leaned against the wall. Chris went to get the supplies to tend her wounds, the third man, Bard, going to Kaidrec's room. Kaidrec stayed with her.

"You're alright?" he asked.

She looked over her shoulder at him. "I am now."

He made her face him, pulling her close, keeping his hands over her cloak. "You don't know how glad I am to see you alive."

Jasmine blushed and looked down. "Kaidrec, we-- we shouldn't be doing this."

"Why not?" he asked, lifting her face.

"This mission is complicated enough as it is," she whispered. the strain in her voice barely audible. "A relationship might cause one of us to let our guard down, maybe get us killed."

Kaidrec stroked her cheek. "You're sure?"

It wrung her heart hearing the longing in his voice. Still, she nodded. "I've yet to see a mission not go astray when the partners-- fell in love." Jasmine kissed him lightly, part in longing, part in apology. "I'm sorry."

Kaidrec pulled her back, finishing his passionate kiss. She resisted for a moment before relaxing, feeling only love from his touch.

Slowly, reluctantly, he pulled away. "I'm sorry too."

Jasmine wrapped her arms around him, feeling tears burn in the corners of her eyes. She hadn't wanted to stem the feelings she had towards him, but this mission had left her with no choice. She closed her eyes tighter, and her tears overflowed. Nobody else cared for her so deeply-- so completely. She had never let somebody see her emotions, but he saw them anyway.

Her grip weakened as the pain returned. Jasmine felt her mind begin to grow dark as the potion wore off. Kaidrec pulled away and picked her up, carrying her to the bed.

"Hush," he whispered as he pulled the blankets over her. "We'll take care of you."

"I know," she whispered. Jasmine turned over, letting her body relax into the bed. She was almost glad to be blacking out; she wouldn't feel her wounds being cleaned. A few more moments passed, and she lost consciousness.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:57 am
FinalFreedom says...

Finished cleaning the wounds on Jasmine's back, I pulled the silk night shirt she wore down and pulled the sheets up to her chin. Kneeling beside her bed, I watched as she silently slept, then got up and left the room.

It was hard to stomach the fact that Jasmine couldn't be mine. Maybe one day she could, but as long as this mission still plagued our existence I would never have her. But when exactly would it stop? When would we be free to do as we please? Surely, by the end of the mission we would no longer be welcome here in Fenrai, but the wall would be closed leading to Kingdom. Would we die alone?

I shivered at the thought. I had done everything alone growing up, and now that I had felt what it's like to be around people, to feel like you needed someone, dying alone sounded like a horrible fate. Inevitable, maybe, but horrible.

Returning to my room, I found Bard fast asleep on my bed and Chris missing. Not caring about him, I plopped down on the floor in my study and wrapped my arms around myself, reading the titles of every book on the shelves. None of them hinted to anything about love, they were all about spying, and sneaking. Could one be both a spy and in love?

Resting my head on my knees, I slowly began to drift asleep, suddenly woken up by the door to the study slamming open. Chris stomped inside, carrying a plate of various foods.

"Dinner," he said, slamming it down on the desk, scattering the food all over. He grunted when he looked me over, then stormed back out of the room. What had I done now?

"Thanks," I muttered, standing up and grabbing the plate. As I placed the small pieces of fruit that had fallen onto the wooden desk, I remembered the door Jasmine had once opened. Walking to the corner, I opened it up and crawled to her side.

After looking into her room from the open study door, I made sure she was still fast asleep before returning to the study and eating the food Chris had brought for me. At least this way, I thought as I gobbled down the last grape, I can make sure she's okay.

--

A shrill scream woke me from my sleep. Judging by the position of the moon and stars, it was only around midnight. Without hesitating, I crawled through the passageway and into Jasmine's room, finding her writhing around on her bed. Sweat soaked her face and hair; a painful expression coated on her lips.

Rushing over to her, I grabbed her shoulders and attempted to hold her still. I noticed small tears streaming from her eyes as her body unconsciously fought my grip. Worried, I let go of her body and gripped her hands between mine. Still she fought me. What kinds of things had she been through, to leave scars that weren't visible?

Lying down on the bed beside her, I forced her hands togther and placed them on my chest then wrapped my arms around her, holding her body close to mine. Soon she no longer shook, she was still. Jasmine still in my arms, I drifted asleep, a smile light on my lips.
Anti-Peta.

"In Vabbi , I was ambushed by six of them! They wielded blunt wooden sticks and were hissing at me about overdue fines... Bandits? Oh, no. These were library envoys."

-- Vael/Nathanael, Guild Wars: Eye of the North

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:04 am
Rosendorn says...

Jasmine still felt the lashes of the whip. Blood ran down her back and legs; soon the blood wasn't just hers.

Robert, he had begged her to help, and she had been frozen by fear. Joseph's cry still pierced her heart. She felt restraints on her shoulders. Jasmine fought, trying to get away. Soon the restraints moved to her hands-- they were stopping her, holding her back. Her father's life was left, she had to save his!

Suddenly the restraints were gone. Still, Jasmine couldn't move towards him. She felt tears in her eyes and not being able to save him. It didn't matter. He came to her.

Her father took her in his arms, soothing her the way he always had. Jasmine felt the beat of his heart against her ribs and hands. Finally her tears begin to dry. The rest of the scenery faded away; all that was left was soothing comfort. Jasmine closed her eyes, and felt at peace.

~~

Jasmine was slow to wake up. She turned over, a soft moan escaping her lips as she put pressure on her back.

Somebody stroked her arm, turning her back to her original position. "Shh, you're okay."

"Kaidrec!" Jasmine's eyes flew open. She shoved him away, almost pushing him off the bed. "What are you doing here?" She could help make sure her nightshirt was still on.

"You screamed," he said quickly. "I couldn't let you live through your nightmare."

I must have still been unconciouse. That's why I didn't wake up. Jasmine moved away from him a bit. "I've lived through them before."

He cupped the side of her face. "I just wanted to help."

Seeing the longing in his eyes, Jasmine reached her hand out but pulled it back. She sat up, putting her hand to her forehead from dizziness. Kaidrec sat up as well, bracing her shoulders.

"No," she whispered, trying to pull away. Her head swam more, and she had to stop.

He tightened his grip and made her look at him. "Stop it. You're still weak, and need to be taken care of."

"But--"

He silenced her with a warm kiss. She relaxed in his arms, unable to fight the tide of sweetness from his lips.

"But nothing," he whispered, pulling away. "I'm here to take care of you, and I will."

She leaned her head against his chest. "You're the first partner of mine that's said that."

"What?"

Jasmine closed her eyes. "That's the reason Chris is usually there with me. Just in case my partner deserts me."

Kaidrec leaned his head against hers. "I won't. I promise I won't."

There was a click, and Chris entered the room through the secret passage. "What is going on?"

Kaidrec quickly let go and got up. "Nothing!"

Jasmine steadied herself. "I had a nightmare! Kaidrec heard me, and, he just wanted to make sure I was okay."

Chris suddenly looked worried and sat next to her on the bed. "I had forgotten about your nightmares."

"She's had them before?" Kaidrec asked.

Jasmine nodded. "Every time I've been tortured."

Chris put his arms around her, gently stroking her back. "And Kaidrec took care of you?"

She wrapped her arms around Chris's neck. "He promised to."

Chris pulled away, changing the subject. "You'll be glad to know I've found enough information."

Kaidrec cautiously sat on the bed. "For what?"

"For the spy ring," Jasmine and Chris said together.

Jasmine continued. "When to we move on it?"

Chris cleared his throat. "When you're feeling up to it."

"When will that be?" Kaidrec had moved a little closer to her.

Jasmine rubbed her raw shoulder. "Two days."
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

You can't choose your parentage. But you can choose your legacy.
— Rick Riordan, The Blood of Olympus