z

Young Writers Society

All the Little Songbirds, All the Silent Trees

935 Reviews

Reviews: 935
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:35 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

"Tove," Aeron repeated, glancing at the thrush. "She's a witch; pretty cool, though."

"u and rina are systematically watering down the grammar of yws" - Atticus
"From the fish mother to the fish death god." - lehmanf
"A fish stole my identity. I blame shady" - Omni
[they/he]

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:38 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"A witch?" They tensed, frowning at her. She didn't look at all like what they'd expect a witch to be. She was young, for one thing, and neat albeit covered in what appeared to be cat hair. And she was butch. "Aren't they usually...dangerous?" Witches were supposed to be monstrous--users of truly dark magic. They were everything wrong with the old ways. "Like Kala Vil and the Crimson Mistress?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

Formerly RavenLord, formerly GrandWild
she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:41 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aeron laughed and shook his head. “I mean… she’ll cut you down to size alright if you piss her off, but I think that’s more to do with her being Tove than her being a witch.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:42 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"...Oh." Beck looked down at their notebook again. They hadn't been aware that a witch was present here. That changed things somewhat. "She seems....trusted here, then? Well-established?"
"The artist deals with what cannot be said in words. The artist whose medium is fiction does this in words. The novelist says in words what cannot be said in words." --Ursula K. Le Guin

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:46 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Yep. She ain’t going nowhere.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:48 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

They'd have to report this immediately. Establishing a mission in a witch's territory was a terrible, terrible idea and the Swifts needed to know. They'd know what to do--this was well about Beck's paygrade.
But at the same time...
"Would you say she's well-acquainted with the woods here?" they asked with a small sigh. They had to at least ask.

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:50 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Oh yeah. I think she grew up around here, not sure. I bet she’d know where all the little toads are.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:54 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Are there..." If there was a witch around, there probably were. "Are there makers of mischief here too? The button-folk and ash-walkers? Is that what you call them?"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:55 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

“Uh… not sure?” He wasn’t sure he knew what those were; not that he’d admit that.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"They don't use those terms to describe themselves," Tove said from behind Aeron. She'd approached, having completed her business. "But they're here, certainly. Why do you want to know, Thrush?"
Beck looked up at her; she was terrifying. Not particularly unkind looking but definitely not friendly. "I...er, well I'm a naturalist, you see," they said awkwardly. "I haven't studied the fair folk before but--"
"They're not for studying," she retorted. "And they won't take kindly to your presence. Best be on your way before they catch wind of it--if they haven't already."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:04 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aeron glanced between them, not quite sure what was happening but not planning to get in the middle of it.

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

Alarmed, Beck tried to keep their voice steady. "They're working against Agneus and Cygna," they said firmly. "They're creatures of sin--fascinating ones, but sinful nonetheless. I have nothing to fear from them."
"Then you're an idiot," Tove huffed. "I hope you know the deterrents, Thrush. They'll be coming after you sooner or later."

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:11 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aeron blinked; this was escalating quickly. “Now hold on, that’s not very live and let live. Of either of you.”

[they/he]

112 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:16 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"It's the truth," Tove pointed out. "A Flycatcher to the west tried to set up a parish and the jarđneskur turned him into a pillar of ash. Your people." She jabbed a finger at Beck, who flinched. "Are waging war against us, actively. The fair folk fight fire with fire, little bird. What are your gods doing about it?"
Beck stuttered something out, coughed, and then sat up as straight as they could. "We're not waging war," they said, this time in a clear voice. "We're spreading truth. The Twin Truths. Your 'fair' folk are fickle; they thrive on lies and deals. They help only if it's to their benefit. How many people have been harmed by the whims of a faerie? Hundreds. Thousands!"

she/her

935 Reviews

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:18 pm
View Likes
Shady says...

Aeron hesitated, feeling like he should intervene somehow and yet not knowing what to do. Things were getting heated. Maybe he should just go.

[they/he]

“I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you.”
— Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince