z

Young Writers Society

Cuckoos and Chalk Marks

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Wed May 18, 2022 1:56 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Ah, was he a wizard or some sort? A magic-user?" Skull had been a fool to leave, in Sorenson's opinion. He'd have snapped up that opportunity and learned all he could.
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

Formerly RavenLord; GrandWild
she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 590
Sat May 21, 2022 8:45 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
I'm loving how much this conversation is revealing the differences between Sorenson and Skull! It's such a cool reversal of what you'd expect from a quick glance at their character descriptions. I'm just obsessed with how differently the two of them feel in this conversation.

I also re-discovered some juicy Skull lore that I forgot while looking on Bickerstaff's wiki page, so I'm definitely going to be including that in this conversation now. >>

"More like a mad scientist," I said, voice quiet and tone mostly neutral. I tried not to think about Bickerstaff too much, but that was one way to describe him. "He was a doctor that got too obsessed with death. It ended up being his downfall."
mage

[ she/her, but in a boy kinda way ]

roleplaying is my platonic love language.

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sat May 21, 2022 9:28 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Awesome!)

"He sounds very much like a necromancer," he mused. "But where does science factor in?"
"I’m thinking about the aurora borealis. You can’t tell if it really does exist or if it just looks like existing. All things are so very uncertain, and that’s exactly what makes me feel reassured." --Too-Ticky

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 28, 2022 2:14 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"He just happened to be a doctor," I said. In retrospect, there was no science to what Bickerstaff had done. The only science had been the manipulation, maybe, but that had always been more of an art. Bickerstaff just cobbled together bits of the occult in the hopes that they would work, and tried them out on his unwilling followers to make sure they really did work.

I paused.

"A necromancer might have been a better way to describe him," I admitted.
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sat May 28, 2022 2:18 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Fascinating. A proper louse, I'm sure. Necromancy is nothing to play with."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sat May 28, 2022 2:36 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I breathed out a quiet breath. That was one way to describe him, that was for sure.

"I used to think he was the greatest thing the world had ever created," I said, not quite sure why I was admitting this much to Sorenson. I tried not to think about the person I had been when serving as his assistant. "It took me too long to see him as the monster he really was."
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

"Mm, I think a lot of victims start out that way. Admiring their masters or parents or whatnot, realizing they've been taken advantage of or neglected." He trailed off. His own children probably thought of him as filth now. Maybe they thought they were victims.

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am
View Likes
Mageheart says...

I gave Sorenson a look.

"You sound like you're talking from experience," I noted.

Spoiler! :
you have no idea how shocked i was when his internal narration mentioned him having kids and how much they wouldn't like him-
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(He's a bit of a deadbeat)

"Mm, I very well could be."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Interesting. >>

"On the master or parent front?" I asked. Something told me he wasn't speaking from experience when it came to being the one subjected to that kind of treatment. He had been too quick to idolize Bickerstaff when I first mentioned him. Someone who had been through something similar to what I had, I thought, would have probably been more wary.
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sun May 29, 2022 1:01 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

He glanced at Skull, narrowing his eyes. "What's it to you, lad? It was a comment, nothing more."

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Sun May 29, 2022 1:07 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

"I'd just like to know a little more about the person I'm wandering through this place with," I innocently said.

Spoiler! :
If we need more ideas for what to do after this hallway, I might have a few ideas after watching Thomas Sanders' latest D&D episode.
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Sun May 29, 2022 1:10 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(Ah, fire away!)

He nodded slowly. "Mm, well, you certainly don't know much about me, do you? Maybe I'd like to keep it that way?"

she/her

590 Reviews

Supporter

Mon May 30, 2022 11:05 pm
View Likes
Mageheart says...

Spoiler! :
Will do!

The episode was essentially about the two characters in the campaign bonding. They had to get through this one hallway by revealing truths about themselves at the prompting of a NPC. After that, one person had to verbally guide the other person through a maze they could see. They also had to do this little thing with manners, but I don't think that really applies here. >> The last thing they had to do was fight a dream demon that took on the forms of their worst fears (for one character, it was an evil version of himself, and the other it was his dad telling him he could never live up to expectations).

That dream demon might be a fun finale to this maze! I can also see the lying challenge being really good for these two, since they're both not being entirely open with each other right now.

If we do go the "telling truths" route, it would be fun to have the next post or two suddenly segue into that--seeing that our boys are having a conversation about not knowing each other. :P
mage

queer and here.

115 Reviews

Mon May 30, 2022 11:09 pm
View Likes
Ljungtroll says...

(I like the telling truth challenge and the maze challenge a lot! K say go for it.)

she/her

"Come quickly, I am drinking the stars!"
— Dom Pérignon