303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:02 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

@paigesharrow

REVIEWED!
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

1087 Reviews

Reviews: 1087
Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:16 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

Blaaaaaaack,

So as it's review day on Sunday, I figured I'd go all out and I've you a review request from hell, mwahahaha. Would you mind reviewing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th chapter of my novel for me?

The Boy Who Broke Mirrors (Chapter Two)
The Boy Who Broke Mirrors (Chapter Three)
The Boy Who Broke Mirrors (Chapter Four)

I've edited them all quite a lot with the reviews I already have, so it would be awesome to get some fresh feedback. If you don't feel up to reviewing them all though, just review the latest one. I don't want to make you do anything you don't want to! >.<

Please and thank you!
I didn't know what to put here so I put this.

303 Reviews

Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:53 pm
StoneHeart says...

MWahahahahah! My honour sa (Mr. RedStar I see). >>

On it now.

303 Reviews

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 pm
StoneHeart says...

Chapter two is FINITO!

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:41 am
View Likes
Benrobertringrose says...

Hello!

I would love a review of this piece is thats okay, just a general overview and your thoughts about the story would be much appreciated.

Peer Jumping

Thanks in advance,

Ben

1087 Reviews

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:47 pm
View Likes
Sins says...

BlackNether12 wrote:(and if you wanna be really nice then would you mind dropping by my Review For Food thread and telling me what you thought of this review, maybe rating it on a scale of one to twenty, putting into account what you expected, what you'd have liked me to cover, how much this review helped you, how easy it was to understand (etc.). Please?)

Here I am to do just that! :D

Spoiler! :
General thoughts: Well, first I'll say thank you for the review! It was definitely a good one overall, and I liked that you focused on everything rather than just on grammar, or just on characterisation, or anything like that. I also liked that you noted the stuff you liked about the chapter as well as the stuff I need to work on. A 100% positive review is pretty useless, and a 100% negative review can end up just being depressing, so I appreciate the balance you have. I agree with all of what you said as well, so it will definitely be a useful review when it comes to editing my writing.

As for stuff to work on... Sometimes I do think you could be clearer on some things, I suppose, and explain them a bit more deeply. You are generally good with giving examples for grammatical stuff, but I think you could give more examples when it comes to the non-grammatical stuff. For example, one of your critiques was that the story is losing originality, which is something I am aware I need to be careful of. What I think would have been good is if you'd given an example of what specifically gave you that impression (a specific scene, characters' interactions, the chapter's setting e.t.c.) and perhaps ways to try and fix that.

What I expected: A thorough review with some juicy critiques I could use to improve my chapter, and I pretty much got that, methinks. So a thumbs up there!

What I would have liked for you to cover: I personally prefer detailed critiques on stuff like plot and characters, rather than grammar focused reviews. Grammar is stuff I can work on when it comes to final edits really, though I do like some guidance along the way! You had a nice balance of everything, so I don't really have any complaints there.

Usefulness of the review: Definitely useful, so yay for that! I know I need to keep an eye on originality, and I'm hoping the novel will sustain an original feel as it progresses. The chapter you just read isn't the most original (I'll be the first to admit that), but I think the ones that follow do revive a more original feel.

How easy to understand the review was: You do generally make things easy enough to understand, but you could occasionally explain more deeply and clearly. This connects to what I said about you giving more examples on the non-grammatical stuff from time to time because with examples, you create better clarity. Err... if that makes sense. I'm not exactly one for being very clear myself, to be honest. I also think you could maybe be more concise with what you're saying. You sometimes tip-toe around things a bit instead of getting straight down to the point, which can create clarity issues.

Overall rating: 16/20

Also, I do apologise for the British spellings of things! I've always written in British-English rather than American-English because it's just what I'm used to. I've been spelling certain words certain ways all my life, so it would just be weird for me if I tried doing things differently. Plus hey, someone has to keep the original spellings of words alive! xD I know it confuses some YWSers though, so I am sorry about that. Just try and roll with it, if you can.

Thanks again for the review, I appreciate it muchly! Please do let me know if you ever want me to review anything of yours because I'd love to return the favour. :)

303 Reviews

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm
StoneHeart says...

I'm afraid, Sir Skins, that I lost the file containing CH3 so that review'll be late.

THANK YOU FOR THE FEEDBACK. Love you for it!

303 Reviews

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:59 pm
StoneHeart says...

I'z on it Ben!

303 Reviews

Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:17 am
StoneHeart says...

Okay @Skins

Overall I agree with your points. Clarity is not my strong point -I'm working on it as we speak.

I'll go for a broader approach (not so grammar-centered) in my next review for you!

Also: The english spelling is fine, I only notice it when I'm pasting your works to OpenOffice.

THANK YOU! again.

1087 Reviews

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:29 pm
Sins says...

Don't worry about getting to chapter 3 late, there's no rush. :) No problem on the feedback thing, it was my pleasure. I'm glad you found it somewhat useful!

303 Reviews

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:58 pm
StoneHeart says...

Kda! You save me tsa!

Review done @Benrobertringrose Remember to drop some feedback!!!

303 Reviews

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:50 pm
StoneHeart says...

Review chapter three done! @Skins

Don't forget a tidbit of feedback!

Random avatar

Reviews: 0
Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 pm
View Likes
liamlopez44 says...

Im in the midst of writing a little story based on a current true story of mine and i published it to get a little bit of feedback on it thus far. Review doesn't have to specific but just some thoughts on my writing and comments on the story itself, it'd be much appreciated! As far as time frame, as soon as possible would be great! thank you!

A Worrisome Heart of Something Great

303 Reviews

Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm
StoneHeart says...

I'm on it @liamlopez44

1087 Reviews

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:10 pm
Sins says...

Hey Black, sorry for getting back to you a little late! I haven't been on YWS that much this week because life 'nd stuff. But yus, thanks so much for the review on chapter three. :) As requested, I shall give you some feedback on said review!

I'm going to give you more of a general feedback thingy this time because I really did like the review overall, and I don't necessarily have anything specific to pick on. Soooooo...

Spoiler! :
You definitely listened to what I said in my last chunk of feedback, and I can't tell you how awesome that is. I noticed you focusing on non-grammatical stuff, which is what I do prefer, so I'm really grateful you did that. Like before, I really like that you noted both the good and the bad rather than the one or the other. You brought up some good points and when I get off my butt to edit that chapter, your review will be really helpful!

As for the story potentially turning into a vampire/werewolf thing, dear lord no, don't worry about that! They're all human, I can assure you. As for Effie's character, I know her character's a little inconsistent in general. I'm hoping to properly fix that once I've finished the novel because I'll know her better by then... if that makes sense (and yes, Euphegenia is a real name, and I feel greatly sorry for all the Euphegenias out there).

With the whole plot unoriginality thing again, I am trying to be careful with it. The thing with this novel is that it's more of a character-based one anyways to be honest, so I have to be careful not to disregard the plot too much. Otherwise it could end up boring and unoriginal. So yus, I do need to focus on this whole unoriginality thing.

As for stuff for you to work on.... I'm not sure really. I suppose there's still not 100% clarity with everything. For example, the assumption about Preston you made with the werewolf/vampire thing freaked me out because that's the last thing I want anyone to think. I guess I'd like to know what it is exactly about him that makes you think that, if you get what I'm saying. You said it was because he's 'out of the normal', but what does he do specifically that gives that impression? Dialogue? Actions? Behaviour? e.t.c.

Other than that slight clarity issue, I think you're good. I'm not exactly the best at reviewing reviews, let's face it, so sorry if I'm not being much help here.

Overall rating: 18/20

Thanks again for the review, 'twas lovely!

"People should not be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
— V for Vendetta