z

Young Writers Society

Fortress of Reviewtude

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Sat May 03, 2014 1:51 am
crossroads says...

Yeah, I'm opening one of these. In short, I'm here for the most strange, twisted, controversial and evil things you've written. I'm having troubles finding those around, hence this is the place you can throw them at me ;)

What do I review?

- Novels (preferably, start with prologue/chapter one - I can follow your novel if so you desire, but I want to start at the beginning. I will review random later chapters too, but I won't necessarily go and read all the preceding ones.)

- Short Stories

- Poetry

- Essays

- Art and Storybook characters/intros (yeah, a new thing. Art reviews will go to the thread you have in A&P, SB-related ones can be PMed to you. This isn't usually done, so consider it a sort of experiment. All the stuff I said and will say about rating and content does not apply on art and SB - related reviews.)

More specifically?

- works not many would take as top choices - 16+ or 18+ works (rated so for whatever reason), works dealing with controversial or taboo topics, works with characterisation, ideas or scenes which many might find disturbing, etc.

- I'll take any genre (even romance and fanfiction, although I'm not a fan of the latter) and any length, as long as it falls under the first point ^

- old works - this one isn't a rule, just a note. You can give me works which have been sitting submitted for a while, if you need reviews on such, I'm fine with it.

What do I focus on?

- Characterisation, atmosphere, dialogue, description, rhythm/pacing - both in prose and poetry. I focus less on grammar, and (as I'm not really a poet myself) I don't comment on technical aspects of poems as much as the content itself. The opposite goes for essays - I won't argue or discuss your points, only the way they're presented in the essay.

What are my reviews like?

- I mostly don't do sugar coating, but I won't be unnecessarily mean either. There aren't many works of the sorts I'm asking for here that I've seen and reviewed, but have some examples nonetheless:

A Twisted Torture (16+)
The Mind of a Sinner
Requested tale
gay, It's not some mutation.
The Auction (18+)
Temptations and Sin: Chapter Two (18+)

Anything else?

Yes.
- You can request two reviews in each post you make here. That means if you come here and leave me ten links at once, I will check them out but most likely won't review them all (or at least, I'll review one or two and then leave the rest for some time later). The exceptions are art and SB - related stuff, which you can request reviews for alongside with the two on literary works.

- Whatever you're requesting a review to, include a link. If you want me to comment on your SB character or post or whatever, that means link to the character page/SB.

- Sharing via PMs is a thing. This means you can PM me with a work of yours if it's not posted, and I can PM you back the review. Won't get me points and stars, but that's not really why I made this thread anyway.

Also, bear in mind I have obligations both on and off YWS, and it might take me time sometimes. I'll let you know in this thread when I'm done with your reviews.
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

I *do* like flipping tables.
— Faye Whitaker, Questionable Content