z

Young Writers Society

Desmond Uwah - PM Scam

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Thu May 23, 2013 4:59 pm
View Likes
Kale says...

Hey everyone. We've recently gotten reports that some of you have received PMs from a member by the name of uwah.

DO NOT CONTACT THEM IN REPLY.

THE PM IS A SCAM.

It is a variation of the ancient Nigerian Scam. Snopes has some lovely information on it, including variants.

If you have already contacted them, please let one of the staff know. We will try to help (though we cannot guarantee anything). At the very least, you should change your bank and contact information ASAP.

The message, for reference:

Spoiler! :
Desmond Uwah.

Abidjan, Ivory Coast

Dear, i decided to contact you for friendship and assistace.I am desmond uwah the only son an child of late chief and Mrs Marthias Uwah,my father was put to death by his business associates during the Presidential ellection and during my fathers sickness he called me on his sick bed as his only child because my mother died when i was young and he told me about the money($6.300.000) he deposited in a Bnak here in our country, that he dont know was because of this money he was trying to be kill that if he die i shall look for some one whom i trust to help me transfer this money out of this our country to his account for investment purpose abroad while i will continue my education there, then the person will be managing the investment.So please i want you to hence up to help me to receive this money to your account there in your country becuase there is war here in my country Cote d' ivorie.
Dear am soliciting your assistance to help me transfer this money out of this country for my life sake while i will come to meet you to continue my education in your country.
Dear am looking forward to hear from you so that we can discuss on what will be your compensation for this assistace. As i have all covered documents that relates to this transfer.

Please reply me directely for more details

Email [REDACTED]

Expecting to hear from you.
Thanks
desmond.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

83 Reviews

Reviews: 83
Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm
View Likes
Dutiful says...

Thats awful! :/
“And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt.”
― Sylvia Plath

187 Reviews

Reviews: 187
Thu May 23, 2013 5:19 pm
View Likes
ChocoCookie says...

Yeah, I received it and I was all like "Ohmygosh, I should inform all the mods I know!" and BOOM!

Ha! Take that, Uwah. You can't mess with YWS. xD
Last edited by ChocoCookie on Fri May 24, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.

New to YWS? We'll help you out! <3'

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Thu May 23, 2013 7:36 pm
View Likes
KingLucifer says...

I mocked this guy, it was a hilarious conversation, because I kept telling him that I never recieved the email. For a moment I thought I actually ticked him off.
An angel, a knight, a man who will bring light to where there is only darkness, I am the Morning Star, the Bringer of Light, hail to me as I am King Lucifer!

Formerly: Avalon

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu May 23, 2013 7:50 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks Kyllorac for posting this. The Nigerian "princes" must be getting desperate; targeting a site where the average age is 17?

As an update to this, the account in question has been deleted and the IP address banned. If you receive similar PMs in the future, please notify a moderator immediately, and this applies to any odd PM you receive out of the blue. Whenever someone you don't know asks for your name, contact information, or even just where you live, let a moderator know.

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Thu May 23, 2013 8:46 pm
View Likes
MasterGrieves says...

Oh yeah! This guy! I remember him.
He messaged me and was like, "hello dear", like......huh?
I never got the PM but...I was suspicious. Luckily he was caught and stuff, which is good :D
There are some weird people in this world...
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu May 23, 2013 9:23 pm
View Likes
Love says...

I got a variant by email when I was 13, and another this year... Tis fun to mock them ^_^ I actually sent a home-made virus to the latest one to crash their computer. It probably didn't work, but it's worth a try ^_^
I was Amareth :)

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Fri May 24, 2013 1:16 pm
Deadman says...

I got the PM and simply responded by saying. "I have never even spoken to you on this site before......" So I don't think I'm in any danger there.
"If you're going through hell, keep going."
-Winston Churchill

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
-Winston Churchill

It is impossible to reason with idiots.
-unknown

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Mon May 27, 2013 11:38 am
GlitterGabbi says...

Scary!!! D:)
[Insert Signature Here]

303 Reviews

Reviews: 303
Mon May 27, 2013 8:23 pm
View Likes
StoneHeart says...

I'd take a PM like this as a complete joke and just reply with a "That was great" and give em a review.

Cuz they need it.
For I who am poor have only my dreams
I spread my dreams under your feet . . .

. . . tread softly for you tread on my dreams.

We are masters of our silences, and slaves of our words

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.
— Amelia Earhart