z

Young Writers Society

Message Concerning WriterFeed Pad

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm
Nate says...

WriterFeed Pad (WFP) is still hosted with YWS' old hosting provider, VPS.net. It is hosted on their Chicago-D server cloud (CHI-D). Anyways, recently received an email from them about scheduled maintenance:

Dear Customer,

Summary: We will be migrating from CHI-D to CHI-F. There will be minimal downtime of 5 minutes. There will be no IP change.

This is notification that we will be carrying out a cloud server by cloud server migration, from the CHI-D cloud to CHI-F cloud. Each cloud server will be down for approx 5 minutes to move to the new cloud.

There will be no data loss and no IP change during this move.

The new cloud is sporting our new HP SANS which offer greater performance and reliability than our older generation of SANS.

This maintenance will be started at 11pm GMT 29th January 2013 and will be completed by Friday 1st February 2013. Each cloud server will only be offline for approx 5 minutes.

During this migration we would encourage users to contact support@vps.net should they wish to do any upgrades to their VM to make sure there is no risk of upgrades being done mid-migration, and in turn causing potential issues.

Should you have any questions over this please do email mgmt@vps.net

Best Regards
Rus Foster
VPS.net Managing Director

Not sure when it'll be down, but they say it'll only last for about 5 minutes.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:58 am
PenguinAttack says...

I only just got to this, I'd thought my net was just messing me about.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

425 Reviews

Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

It was having quite a bit of problems earlier this week. Turns out, it was running out of disk space.

Anyways, VPS.net just completed the move outlined above. There should be no further issues.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:08 pm
Stori says...

Er, what is all that stuff? SANS? Clouds?

425 Reviews

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:27 pm
Nate says...

Stori wrote:Er, what is all that stuff? SANS? Clouds?

SAN = Storage Area Network

If you set up an external hard drive at home, you can probably configure your home network to access that hard drive from any computer in your home. That's kind of like what a Storage Area Network is. It's a network of hard drives that exist separately from the server. But, everything is programmed such that they act no differently than a native hard drive. So with a SAN, the server's C drive or filesystem will appear to be located inside the server when it's really in the other room.

Clouds are a buzzword, and its meaning changes depending on who you ask! In this case, a cloud is the pooled capacity of all the servers. For example, YWS is hosted right now with Linode. Everything is set up such that it appears YWS is hosted on a distinct server in a distinct room somewhere in Newark, but that's not really the case. Rather, YWS is renting capacity from a network of servers in a warehouse in Newark.

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return.
— Genesis 3:19