z

Young Writers Society

New Literary Page

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 am
Nate says...

"Browse" has been renamed to "Literary."

Additionally, what was formerly the browse page has been drastically changed. Most of the changes involve just moving stuff around. For example, everything that used to be in the sidebar has been moved into the main content area.

However, one thing was removed and another thing was added. Regarding the former, pagination is no more. Instead, you have a "Load More" button at the end of the results. This was done to improve load times, for a cleaner aesthetic, and hopefully to improve the user experience.

The big addition, though, are the Archives. You can now easily search the literary archives by year and month. So, if you want to see all Action/Adventure short stories from May 2005... you can do that!

Please let me know of any bugs you come across by posting in this thread. Comments are also appreciated.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:25 am
LemonyIce says...

:O I really like the shiny and new Literary section, Nate! ^^

But I found this and I'm quite sure it isn't right...

I'd rather waltz than just walk through the forest.
The trees keep the tempo and they sway in time.
Quartet of crickets chime in for the chorus.
If I were to pluck on your heart strings would you strum on mine?

~Plant Life, Owl City

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:37 am
noninjaes says...

I like the cleaner look of the works list, though I think I prefer the different categories on the right rather than the archives. Whenever I go looking for something to read and/or review, I almost always go straight to the categories section and the way it was set out on the right made it stand out more. I don't really feel archives are that important, only if you're intentionally searching for an old work which you can use the search bar up top for anyway.
If you are to keep the current menu placement, maybe do something to make it stand out more like putting a rounded-edge border around it?

Edit: The text box for comments/reviews on literary works now extends a little too far to the right.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:34 pm
Payne says...

The new page looks awesome! However, there does seem to be sort of a bug. I went to browse by 'Following', and the initial works that came up were all right. When I click on 'Load More', though, it shows works by people I'm definitely not following.

This only seems to be happening on Recent, 0 Reviews, 1 Review, View Mine, and Following. Just figured I'd let you know. :)

following.png
The red line shows where the 'Load More' button was.
I aim to misbehave.

Is it weird in here, or is it just me? --Steven Wright

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:29 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Thanks all!

Payne ->> Thanks for finding that bug! I just went ahead and fixed it.

739 Reviews

Reviews: 739
Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:51 pm
xXTheBlackSheepXx says...

I like how the literary works are organized, it does make it very quick to browse through. I can easily imagine more things getting reviewed because there is just better access to them now.

Personally, I don't see the point of the archives. You keep them at such a handy location on the right margin but I can't imagine anyone really using them much. What's the point of reviewing old, discontinued works from 2009? If you were really that interested at looking at someone's old writing, couldn't you just look in the person's portfolio?
The bad news is we don't have any control.
The good news is we can't make any mistakes.
-Chuck Palahniuk

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 pm
View Likes
Lauren2010 says...

I quite like the new Literary page!

My biggest qualm is that, with the 'Load More' button it takes quite a while to cycle through works to get to those that have been at 0 or 1 reviews for a long time. It would seem this opens those works up to never getting reviews, because they are so far back people will be more inclined to go to and review those closer to the top (of course, this operates under the assumption we will have a lot of unreviewed works, which would ideally not happen). I do really like the 'Load More' button though. Perhaps an option to 'Go to Last' would be helpful? Even if only in those two sections.

I agree with others on the Archives. They just don't seem so important to feature so prominently. I like the option to search back for something, but for most of the reasons someone would do that would be to find a friend's work (accessed through portfolios) or to find your own work (accessed through 'View Mine'). Perhaps make the Archives less prominent on the page? I'd also kind of like to see the genre sorters on the left more prominent as well.

I think that's all I have for now, but generally I like the page a lot! Much improved over the mess we had before.
Got YWS?

425 Reviews

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:07 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Forgot to add in the featured works yesterday. That's now displayed in the sidebar area at the top, pushing archives a bit further down.

56 Reviews

Reviews: 56
Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm
DevanEWilliams says...

I've always been a little confused about how the "What people are reading" and the "Top 5 past 7 days" sections work, but if they're supposed to be the same as the "Featured Works" section on the sidebar, they aren't consistent.
Stay away from limbo bears.
And always have extra marshmallows on hand in case of emergencies.

High Quality Reviews Available Here! viewtopic.php?f=188&t=96280

1220 Reviews

Reviews: 1220
Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 am
View Likes
Kale says...

Contrary to everyone else, I love the Archives. It helps break down the Works with 0/1 Reviews into more manageable chunks and increases the likelihood of reviewing older, neglected works.

I do think there needs to be a way to sort by time though, at least Newest-Oldest and vice versa. Failing that, it would help if the Archives and/or Works with 0/1 Reviews listed from oldest-newest rather than the current newest-oldest. It would help the works posted at the beginning of the months be more visible.
Secretly a Kyllorac, sometimes a Murtle.
There are no chickens in Hyrule.
Princessence: A LMS Project
WRFF | KotGR

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:04 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

Has anyone mentioned how absolutely awesome it is to be, like, the one literary site on the web with a touch-friendly quad-filter in the lit section? Because it is absolutely pride-worthy.

In a perfect world, my only additional want would be a rating filter. Oh, and what Spoons said. Time reversal is all the rage in our demographic, dontchaknow.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 am
Rydia says...

Time reversal on the 'o and 1 reviews' would be amazing. So that we get the oldest first? We did this recently on the customer service inbox at work and it really helps to get those neglected requests dealt with first.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:55 pm
Blues says...

Time reversal would be lovely but I think there would be some problems. One review day last year, I found an unreviewed poem from 2007. Most users from then would probably be inactive now. I suppose unreviewed works from the past year in time reversal would be a bit more helpful :)

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 am
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

As somebody who pretty much only reviews from the back of works with 1/0 reviews and used the pages to tell how much actually needed TO be reviewed, I'm tossing my favour in for oldest to newest on works with 0/1 reviews, as well.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:33 am
View Likes
DiskElemental says...

Maybe in inverse order for the first month, then normal after that. EX: a 1 month old work would come first, up until new works, then the 1 month + 1 day works.
A man without a plan, or anything else for that matter. (Except a review thread).

"He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."
— Fredrich Nietzche (Philosopher)