No dice :/ Just tried it.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/02130fd5d1
"When tempest tossed, embrace chaos."
--Dean Koontz

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:57 pm
Nate says...

@Asteria ->> Yikes, sorry about that. I've made one more change, and it should work now.

27 Reviews

Reviews: 27
Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 pm
Asteria says...

@Nate, it does indeed! Thank you so much for the timely fix :)
"When tempest tossed, embrace chaos."
--Dean Koontz

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:41 pm
GDrama97 says...

When I try to send a message on the chat bar I get this message that comes up Sorry, but the YWS chat bar service is currently unavailable. Your messages will not be delivered. It won't let me send a message. This happened today 20/06/2014 I am on a Google chrome on a windows computer. If anyone knows how to fix it please let me know as I really want to get it fixed.

425 Reviews

Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm
Nate says...

@GDrama97, have you been sending out a lot of unsolicited messages to a lot of users? The chatbar has a built-in anti-spam mechanism, and you may be caught in the spam filter.

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:36 pm
Auxiira says...

Include your browser and version: Chrome, newest version
Time problem occurred: 19:32 GMT+1
- A detailed description of what happened. What section were you on? What were you doing? What were you trying to do? I can't reply to club forums... The reply box opens up for about a second, then closes itself. I've tried on PawPrints and the OUaT fanclub. It started after I managed to post a blank post on the PawPrints book log.
- Your operating system: Windows 7
You read faster than Usaine Bolt sprints xD - Deanie 2014

I wanted all to sparkle and dance in a glorious jubilee. - Cathy, Wuthering Heights

425 Reviews

Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:11 pm
Nate says...

Hey @Auxiira, I'm not sure what the problem could be caused by, but I've gone ahead and changed it such that the reply box on club forums will always show now. So, you should be able to reply now!

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:06 pm
deleted5 says...

@Nate when I post a status on my wall a little "I" appears near the edit, deleted, etc buttons. When clicked it shows my ip address. What is the point in this as wouldn't it make people vulnerable to DDOS?
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

425 Reviews

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:02 am
Nate says...

@AlexSushiDog, I think you might be confused about what a DDOS is and how it operates. Anyways though, whenever you visit any website, your IP address is automatically recorded. On YWS, IP addresses are used in a number of ways. For one, they're used to keep you logged into the site. For another, they're used to keep out malicious bots (a "tainted" IP address is blocked from accessing YWS; tainting meaning that someone with that IP address recently used it in unethical ways, such as spamming or posting links that lead to viruses). IP addresses are also used to help moderators track down trolls. It doesn't happen much anymore, but we used to have a huge number of problems with someone creating multiple accounts to post foul messages on YWS. The only way to keep such people from accessing YWS is to ban their IP address.

Also, there's no benefit to having a known or unknown IP address. What's far more important is to keep your computer updated, have a good virus scanner, and to use either Firefox or Chrome for your Internet browser (Internet Explorer has gotten much better, but it still suffers from more security problems than the other two big ones).

170 Reviews

Reviews: 170
Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:08 am
deleted5 says...

Alright I'm just slightly paranoid from stories I've heard about that :S
I AM YOUR GOD. -AlexSushiDog
Checkmate Atheists.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 am
Baesch says...

Hello! I'm new here, so I'm very confused.

When I try to upload a new document, the page loads for a few seconds, then blanks to an entirely white page with a few lines of HTML (I was able to read "Error" in there, I'm pretty sure). Then it goes back to the upload page, looking exactly the same as when I tried to upload. Sometimes, the "browse" button and space are cut up, but that's it.

Can anyone help me with this?

:(

[EDIT: - thanks Aria Adams]

I doubt the file is too large - in the middling thousands. The format is .rtf, I'm on my laptop (Lenovo) on Windows 8 - my browser is Windows Explorer 10, I think. The sizes of the documents I want to upload so far are 1.38 KB and 7.58 KB.. hope that helps!
Attachments
upload.png
upload.png (9.28 KiB) Viewed 180 times
Last edited by Baesch on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.
-Douglas Adams

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:48 am
crossroads says...

Perhaps your work is in wrong format, or bigger than allowed (not sure if there's a size limit, but I'm guessing there is). Can you note which device (tablet, phone, computer) you're using, as well as which operating system and browser? Mentioning what's the type of the document in question (.txt, .doc, .pdf ...) and size of it (in kB's or MBs, not pages/wordcount) might help as well - might be useless too, but the more details you present, easier it will be for Nate to fix it c:
• previously ChildOfNowhere
- they/them -
literary fantasy with a fairytale flavour

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:00 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Hey @Baesch, I apologize for the error. Can you send me a copy of the document at nate@youngwriterssociety.com? That'll allow me to tell more easily what the problem might be.

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:54 pm
Nate says...

Important

As @Baesch noted above, the document upload is not working. After some troubleshooting, I've found that the document upload is broken at the moment. I believe this is due to a Libreoffice update that I applied yesterday (Libreoffice is a lot like Microsoft Office, and a non-GUI version of it is used on the YWS server to handle document conversions).

As this is a critical bug, I'll try to resolve this issue within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, copy and pasting still works. I apologize for the inconvenience, and I thank Baesch for bringing this to my attention.

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:01 pm
Baesch says...

It was my pleasure. At least I'm not just a bumbling newbie.

[my copy and paste didn't work either -- I feel almost guilty saying this. The text appeared for about a second and then the box blanked again. I thought that the system simply didn't support copy/pasting, but if it generally does, then I appear to have a problem /gah]

I feel obliged to say /don't worry about this, I'm sure I'll be fine with uploading documents tomorrow, and all that, but I know you want to improve the site so I'll get over my politeness.

Thanks, @Nate!!
I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons.
-Douglas Adams

"The rules of capitalization are so unfair to the words in the middle of a sentence."
— John Green, Paper Towns