z

Young Writers Society

Browsing Literary Works: Thoughts?

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Fri May 25, 2012 11:53 pm
Nate says...

So, I'm having second thoughts about the browse area. Thus, I need your input.

The browse area is currently a two column format, and I think it looks nice, but I'm worried about how easy it is to actually browse. On the other hand, I know that the forums are very easy to browse. So, would you prefer to keep the current layout of the browse area, or make it look more like a forum?

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Fri May 25, 2012 11:57 pm
Rydia says...

I like how unnusual the current format is, though I do miss being able to see who the most recent reviewer was. More for the cool screen shots and bragging right, if I'm honest.

I really like the little speech bubbles and the very obvious genre tags. To be honest, I find it pretty easy to navigate and find what I'm looking for so no problems there. I'll have a sleep on it and let you know if I think of anything else in the morning.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

96 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 96
Sat May 26, 2012 12:01 am
View Likes
noninjaes says...

I really like the new layout. Really, the only thing I feel it need is some way to arrange it into things like least reviews to most reviews, by Author, and by Title. That would make finding a specific work or not letting pieces miss out on reviews a lot easier.
Noni Naps Through Nano
NaPoWriMo 2016
Stories Not Otherwise My Own

AnnieJaePayne
The Three Ninjateers
Being awesome since Jan 2012.

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Sat May 26, 2012 12:04 am
Lauren2010 says...

I really like the Browse section. It's very clean and sleek looking, unlike forums which essentially look cluttered no matter how you put it. It's also not hard to navigate, unless you're trying to go back to a specific date (for example where we have loads of works with not loads of reviews from the last few months).

The only really problem I see having right now is the inability to see works with 0 or 1 reviews. And maybe an ability to see works from a specific month? Mostly I just want my 0 and 1 review lists back xD
Got YWS?

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sat May 26, 2012 12:09 am
Meshugenah says...

I'm with Heather. I definitely prefer the new browse section to what we had before in browse; However, I do really miss the forum setup sometimes.

Navigation is much easier than it had been previously, and I really like that I can just tag a poem as "poetry" and not have to categorize it further - that's why I loved the "other" forum so much. It also makes it way easier to deal with short stories/chapters/novels, too, I think, but that's just what I've been seeing. I don't use those filters/forums much, so I can't comment on much beyond that it appears to work better than the forum setup had been before.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sat May 26, 2012 12:40 am
View Likes
Lava says...

It looks really good, yes!
And the comment speech bubble is lovely.
Browsing is pretty good, with the genre-wise classification. And I like the format and the easy-on the eyes feel.

One thing though is, I did really like having a novels page. It was a nice way of organizing the longer lit works. And as Lauren mentioned, I miss the 0/1 reviews. I used those a lot when I was reviewing. These are the two main things that I miss while navigating.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Sat May 26, 2012 2:10 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

The current setup is awesome. I think it'd be great if we could muster what you had programmed in the old Review Queue, though. And really, that could possibly solve a lot of the "Which works haven't been reviewed" issues, I think. The following is in spoilers because it's just me dreaming. ;)

Spoiler! :
I just took a look around again, and it looks like the current filters run on these lines:

1. No filter--shows all literary works in order of most recently posted.
2. Show Only Following
3. Show Only Mine
4. Literary Type Filter
5. Genre Filter

So. One would think that the things that remain missing are:

1. Time Filter (select by months, or a custom range if possible)
2. 0 Reviews - 1 Review Filter
3. Show Review Filter

And then a search function would tie everything together. But oh man, if we could layer filters? I could go searching for an unreviewed lyrical-religious poem from March 2012. Hnnng.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat May 26, 2012 3:06 am
Nate says...

Well, I guess if anyone doesn't like it, they're keeping their peace, haha.

Anyways, I did make some changes that I think organizes it a little better.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Sat May 26, 2012 4:47 am
View Likes
UFO says...

I don't like the color of the article type "Poetry » Narrative, Dramatic" being a bright green up against the white background, but otherwise it isnt all that hard to navigate or read.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat May 26, 2012 7:03 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

For works with 0/1 comments, I would have the reddish comment images, instead of just the regular white ones. That would make them stand out more. I also really like Lumi's idea of unreviewed works being a tab. That would be way cool.

I like the idea of having a section of works that were posted since you last visited, kind of like perusing through the recent posts topics, but for just literary works. Not sure how feasible that is...

This is probably too complicated, but remember how we had "works recommended to you" on the front page in the last edition based on your friends' likes, etc.? I would have a section of works that were recommended to you, based on the same thing. That would be awesome, albeit probably ridiculously hard to code.

And, this has only the littlest to do with the literary works, however I think it would be cool to be able to be notified if someone comments on our comment or review of a literary work.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Sat May 26, 2012 7:38 pm
Cadi says...

I quite like the two-column structure, and I'm over the moon about the comments-so-far count being back. (but I'm with Heather in missing the forum set-up sometimes).

I agree with Enigma about the green being out of the colour scheme, but that's minor.

(Even more minor is the fact that the comment-so-far count is not vertically aligned to the centre of the speech bubble. I need to stop being nitpicky about pixel-perfect aspects of design...)
"The fact is, I don't know where my ideas come from. Nor does any writer. The only real answer is to drink way too much coffee and buy yourself a desk that doesn't collapse when you beat your head against it." --Douglas Adams

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun May 27, 2012 12:46 am
Lava says...

This is a teeny nitpicky thing that's been bothering me:

Is it possible to switch the title and genre positions?
It's just that the genre being allcaps and green seems to overshadow the title. My eyes take a few seconds more to see the title?

It'd be nice to interchange the positions and maybe reduce the size of the genre-text, since we have a browse function on the side anyway.

EDIT:
Opera was messing with it.
Looks great on FireFox.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Sun May 27, 2012 9:28 am
Blues says...

I love it! The only thing that's negative about it is that the Times New Roman doesn't really fit with the rest of the site though.

I like the green though. Makes a slight change from all the blue and white.

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Mon May 28, 2012 1:10 am
zohali93 says...

It looks like it lets more work last long enough on the first page and you can see who isn't getting reviews. That way you can help people out more easier. I like it.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" and they will not be tried? (29:2)

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Mon May 28, 2012 7:45 am
ghostie says...

-
Last edited by ghostie on Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWO BY TWO, HANDS OF BLUE.

I am not a person I am a natural disaster
— TheWordsOfWolf