z

Young Writers Society

Ads Are Back

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:38 am
Nate says...

Well, the google ads are back. I use these to help pay for the site, so click if you see something that interests you. Also, if you see any ads that do not belong on a site for young people, let me know immediately. Also let me know if you see any ads for scams, such as poetry.com.

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

Uh, I don't mean to complain, but the ads are directly over and covering the "Young Writers Society" logo. You know, the one that's always there, not the big one at the home page. Do you think you could move the ads to the right a bit, so it's covering more "blank" space? Like the area under the the "search" to the private message indicator. It just caught my attention and currently looks odd.

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:34 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Roaming Shadow wrote:Uh, I don't mean to complain, but the ads are directly over and covering the "Young Writers Society" logo. You know, the one that's always there, not the big one at the home page. Do you think you could move the ads to the right a bit, so it's covering more "blank" space? Like the area under the the "search" to the private message indicator. It just caught my attention and currently looks odd.

I didn't realize the problem with that until this morning. On my laptop back home, it looks perfect. But on my computer at work, it's not covering up the YWS logo, but it is off centered.

If you can give me your screen resolution and your browser, I'll fix it. To get your screen resolution, right click on the desktop and choose "properties." That takes you to the display control panel. From there, click on settings. Your screen resolution is there. If you're using a Mac, I don't know how to check.

50 Reviews

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:07 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

All right, my screen resolution is 1680x1050 and my browser is microsoft internet explorer (at least I think that would be the browser). Thanks for the prompt reply and the help.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:15 pm
Firestarter says...

The ad is also covering the YWS logo on my computer, Nate.

My screen resolution is 1280x1024 and I use Mozilla Firefox.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:36 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Work is slow today so I did a quick fix, but if you're using 800 by 600, it still looks screwed up. Once I get home, I'll use paint shop to make a better fix.

The problem is that I'm using div tags to position the ads, and I didn't realize the position can change according to your screen resolution. What I'll have to do is split the logo up into two parts such that one part is displayed as a background image in the banner. Once I do that, I can display the ad on top with no weird problems.

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:05 pm
Firestarter says...

Kudos, Nate, it's great now :)
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

425 Reviews

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:13 am
Nate says...

Fixed on YWS Light no matter what screen resolution you use, but it took me so long to make it work that I'm just gonna wait to do the other templates tomorrow.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:21 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Ah, it looks much more sexier now.

But really... gay fiction? O_o
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:15 am
Nate says...

Snoink wrote:Ah, it looks much more sexier now.

But really... gay fiction? O_o

The ads are chosen by a googlebot that indexes the site every day. So if an ad for gay fiction popped up, it's because the googlebot saw something that was related.

Now if anybody does see ads that are questionable, you need to notify me along with the link that the ad points to. I can't the choose the ads that are displayed, but I can ban certain ones.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:23 am
View Likes
smaur says...

How many times can you click an ad before Google discounts your clicking? Once a day? Once a week? My memory is teh suck.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

50 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:38 am
Roaming Shadow says...

Sorry I took so long, but thank you for the fix. It looks so much better now. Nice work. I know practically nothing about programming so, yeah. You do a great job of maintaining this site. Keep up the good work.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:40 am
View Likes
Nate says...

smaur wrote:How many times can you click an ad before Google discounts your clicking? Once a day? Once a week? My memory is teh suck.

I'm not really sure, but I would go with once a week. I used to do it myself a lot, but google no longer counts my clicks, which really stinks because I've bought a book because of one of the ads and I've signed up other websites because of the ads.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:48 am
View Likes
smaur says...

Okay! Good to know.
"He yanked himself free and fled to the kitchen where something huddled against the flooded windowpanes. It sighed and wept and tapped continually, and suddenly he was outside, staring in, the rain beating, the wind chilling him, and all the candle darkness inside lost."

425 Reviews

Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:07 pm
Nate says...

Over the next week or so, I'm going to be experimenting with ad placement, 'cause right now the click through rate is atrocious (over 16,500 page impressions, but only 29 clicks).

So what I'll need is a lot of input on the ads, especially on whether or not you find them annoying and/or obtrustive.

Alexa, are there European frat boys
— Carina