z

Young Writers Society

YWS: Apollo Updates Thread

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:13 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Hmm... meant to get start on fixing some of the bugs much earlier today! But I went for a run, and needless to say, you should never have donuts before running. Not only did it leave me feeling very sick, but donuts have no nutritional value whatsoever (who knew!?). So my energy levels plummeted until I had dinner and then took a nap.

In any case, working on everything now!

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Heh, still haven't gotten to literary works. Instead, I've been messing around. But, I'm quite proud of one particular effort!

The navtabs will now indicate which section of the site you are in, if applicable. So if you're in the 'Browse' area, then the Browse tab will be selected. This wasn't particularly easy to do, but the effect (I believe) is awesome. Much more intuitive.

I've also changed a lot of colors. The leaves, as leaves are wont to do, were getting in the way. And while the green navigation tabs were nice at first, they were also somewhat difficult to read. Since making the navtabs black turned the site very gothic, I changed the color of the user bar up top.

Also, the submit link was moved to the user bar. Right now, it says 'Add New Work.' However, I may change that wording since everytime I look at it, I always think 'Add New York.'

One change I have made to the browse area is a new label image for the categories area. I'll start using that label image in many areas of the site from henceforth, so get used to it!

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:05 am
View Likes
Lumi says...

I really, really like the color scheme changes. But since I'm not around the Browse section yet, I have absolutely nothing helpful to say.

#uselessty

ETA: Is Art/Photography no longer in the Literary Works section? Or is it just pending to be categorized?
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

308 Reviews

Reviews: 308
Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 am
View Likes
AlfredSymon says...

Yeah, where IS that forum? I haven't seen the Art/Photography sections since the opening of the new area. Or is it maybe because I'm not paying enough attention?

Anyways, I LOVE the new color scheme! True blue! The navtabs colors are also great. Since people are debating which color is for those tabs, how 'bout black, right? Although, I noticed that there is a thin rule between the tabs and the page. I think that if that rule is taken out (which I know to be hard) it would look like a folder. (Imagine clicking through the navtabs and having the page, whether browse or forums etc., connected to them, looking like papers with ear tags).

Add New Work is a good shortcut. But I think I agree that it's a bit confusing. Technically, we don't exactly 'add' works to the collection of works here at YWS. Rather, we publish our works to the collection. That's what I think, though.

That's all I can see. Good work Nate! Take a rest, man!
Need some feed? Then read some! Take a look at today's Squills at In the News.

The Tatterdemalion takes a tattle!

"Stories are like yarn; just hold on to the tip and let the ball roll away"

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:53 am
Rydia says...

Nate is still categorizing the art and photography forums and others from the lit misc section so no worries! There will be art, it's on his to do list if you check back a page or two.

I really like the showing which forum you're in thing. That's so cool. I have to admit though, I also first read 'New Work' as 'New York' and I'm not even an American. Maybe 'Submit a Work' or 'Write something'. Possibly even 'Post Your Writing' or 'Submit Your Writing'.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

249 Reviews

Reviews: 249
Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:53 pm
murtuza says...

I don't have any qualms with the 'Add New Work' option, though since there is much dispute between the names, why not just keep it as 'Submit'/'Post' like it was on the previous site? Straight-forward and simple! :D (Just a small suggestion ^.^)
Also, I'm pretty sure that when the 'beta-testing' of posting with the new works editor was going on, there was an option of pasting text from a word doc. I could be mistaken but I'm still quite positive that I saw the option in there somewhere. Will it be coming in soon or will we be without it?

Just one more thing. As for the 'Art & Photography' section, would it be possible to have a 'turn off lights' mode in there (Where the entire page except for the image itself turns black, for example: in Flickr)? Since works such as those can normally be appreciated with a dark background, it would be a great addition. I know I might be asking for a bit too much. But this is only a suggestion ;)

I'm liking how the site is shaping-up a lot. It's looking more complete each day! :D
It's not about the weight of what's spoken.
It's about being heard.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:00 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

I think Nate is trying to tell us that New York is next on our conquer list.

And to give this post some significance, I agree with the awesome color scheme. Though I miss the black bar up top. xD It might tie in with the black tabs better as they're both sort of "headers" in their own way, but gothic isn't really our thing either, so I trust thy judgment! (Besides, black tabs are love.) The colors all coordinate much better now, so it's all lovely!

I do keep getting Browse and Forums mixed up. I'll get better, I promise. I always do! I imagine moving the literary forums to the far left was to give it a sort of Number One position among the tabs, rather than hurling it in the middle in big bold letters like the previous site, or is it one of those little things for later? (Forgive me if I missed this tidbit!)

You're insane and fantastic all at the same time. It's awesome -- double-meaning for the win! :)
I make my own policies.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:11 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

I'm running a lot further behind than I wanted to at this point. Yesterday, I had donuts before going running. Of course, donuts have no nutritional value, which meant I had no energy for running. So after my run, I spent the rest of yesterday afternoon either napping or in a fog. Today, we're trying to rush a project at the job I actually get paid for, so I'm working on that. The good news, though, is that since we're rushing the project, I won't have much to do work-wise for the rest of the week.

Currently, the Art & Photography forum is under General Discussion. It'll stay there until I have a separate submission form done for artwork.

Regarding the 'Add New Work' link, that'll be changed to simply 'Add New,' and it'll become a drop down menu. That drop-down menu will display links to adding a new blog post, a new literary work, or new artwork.

425 Reviews

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:48 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

By the way, I think this work is a great example of what's possible now with the new submission system:

work.php?id=93095

I have not actually read the work itself, but a cursory glance of it is quite interesting. The author uses different types of font types, sizes, and colors in order to write her poem. Some of that was possible before, but it would've been quite difficult to pull off. Now you just copy it directly from your word processing program, and everything stays.

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:36 pm
Mickixoxo says...

I'm not gonna lie, I do have a slight problem with the color scheme, but that's only because I think the double blue makes it look too dark. I do like the black navtabs and user bar, though. I guess I'm just picky when it comes to colors? XP
Don't mind me~~
If there's a 50/50 chance of getting something wrong go for it anyway because there is also a 50/50 chance of getting it right

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. ~Edgar Allen Poe

384 Reviews

Reviews: 384
Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:49 pm
View Likes
eldEr says...

I so didn't read the "Add New Work" button as "Add New York" the first time I saw it. Okay, yes I did. Momentary confusion.

You're awesome, Nate~
Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurl.

got trans?

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:08 am
confetti says...

A few times today when I've gone to review some novels that have been put on my WRFF thread I've found that I can't because they're locked. I was just wondering why that is and when they'll be unlocked, I'm sure someone knows. Thanks
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

541 Reviews

Reviews: 541
Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:24 am
Lauren2010 says...

Confetti - The links from before the new lit works area aren't linking to the right things. You'd have to go back through and find the works in the new lit works area. It's a little annoying, but the only solution I've found!
Got YWS?

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:03 am
Rosendorn says...

Lauren2010 wrote:Confetti - The links from before the new lit works area aren't linking to the right things. You'd have to go back through and find the works in the new lit works area. It's a little annoying, but the only solution I've found!

Yep— this is the only way. The link style has changed again, and since the old lit boards are no longer being used, they've been locked. There will be a search feature and profiles added soon (profiles most likely coming first) which will help shortly. ^^
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

167 Reviews

Reviews: 167
Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 am
confetti says...

Ayiyiyi. Thanks, guys
"So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads."
— Dr. Seuss

You sound like you're becoming emotionally involved with the custard.
— Nikki Morgan