z

Young Writers Society

YWS is Shutting Down

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Tue May 16, 2006 5:41 am
Griffinkeeper says...

As you all know, YWS is going to be shutting down for an unspecified duration, due to a lack of funding. It may restart again, but odds are that it will be a long time. Nate has promised to e-mail a message to all legitimate e-mail addresses when it is time for YWS to re-awaken.

While this comes as a dreadful shock to all of us, we must prepare for the shut down. Here are a few ways:

1. Copy all of your work (critiques and all) and paste it into the word processor of your choice. This way, you won't lose your work when YWS goes down.

2. Make sure your e-mail addresses are up to date. Nate will be sending the e-mail there, so it is best to make sure they are accurate.

3. Exchange e-mail addresses with friends. When YWS goes down, it will be your friends you'll miss most. Don't abandon them, but keep in contact with them. Think of it as a person you can call if you need a review.

4. Keep writing. YWS may soon be gone, but this is no excuse to stop writing. It is imperative that we keep writing. It will help support us through these difficult times ahead and when YWS does come up again, we will be ten times the better for having practiced.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

683 Reviews

Reviews: 683
Tue May 16, 2006 6:36 am
Emma says...

Wait... are you being for real?

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Tue May 16, 2006 6:37 am
Snoink says...

Nate wrote it here.

So yeah, it's for real.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 124
Tue May 16, 2006 12:34 pm
Reyu says...

I may not have been the most active person here. But at least I was always watching. This site is a great thing, one of the only "truely" great things I have seen on the internet, let alone the world. I will always remember May 22 as a bad omen and time of reflection.

Ah well, soppy words won't save anything. WE NEED FUNDING! Or, someone else to foot the bill every month. Now don't go thinking im crazy or anything, this is a perfectly achieveable goal. Ask your parents for a little bit of money, then donate it. Or, get a group together and try tackling a company like scholastic or something. It is an amazing thing when a community unites to achieve a goal, I hope it will happen here. And remember, it was good ol' Reyu who was the first to throw the idea out there. I, myself, plan on doing nothing (cant afford it, don't have the time blah blah) but people that know me well will tell you that fits my character perfectly :D

But, if worse comes to worst... Then thanks for all the chimp ^^ (And if I ever do publish something, this site and it's people, will get its dues from me. That's a promise)

FIGHT THE MAN!
~Reyu
"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

~George Carlin

The Completely Evil Plan.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Tue May 16, 2006 1:17 pm
Joeducktape says...

NOO! Oh man. This is sad. Well, I definitely need to get some email addresses and copy some of my work offa here.

I will definitely look forward to the day when this site is re-opened.

And I wish I had a myspace... hehe.

Thanks to all the site mods and admins who have made this place awesome, and to all the critiquers and wonderful writers I have had the pleasure to get to know.
Check my new and improved blog:

weblog.php?w=764

[/shameless plug]

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Tue May 16, 2006 6:20 pm
Stevie says...

I will always remember May 22 as a bad omen and time of reflection.

Why do bad things always happen on my birthday?? ^ now my birthday is being concidered a bad omen :(

Nothing could make this worst, I big time wish that this was April Fools day. Anyways, I may not be a frequent poster but I do love this site. And I wish I had enough money to pay to keep this site up for another 50 years! but sadly I don't have enough to keep it up for a a day. It's sad that around this time there is a lot of sites closing down, which is kinda weird..

Oh yeah.. I have a question. Why can't Nate just move the site onto a free board making site (like invisionfree.com)? It's free, we will lose a lot of features but we can still have our "community" together. -- Just throwing idea's out there to spread a little hope .. maybe. Well that's all I have to say.. -- Stevie
Writers will happen in the best of families. - Rita Mae Brown

The Kingdom beyond Reality
weblog_entry.php?POST_ENTRY_URL=13961

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 pm
zell says...

Wait griff is it coming back in a long time or is the new one taking its place.

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue May 16, 2006 7:52 pm
Dream Deep says...

zell wrote:Wait griff is it coming back in a long time or is the new one taking its place.

Yeah. What he said. :?: :evil:

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue May 16, 2006 8:12 pm
Sophie says...

Um.... This is an odd request, but is there any way a topic could be set up when we all can make final speeches?

Indeed, why not send this place out in style? Some kind of gathering one day this weekend. In a chatroom. Or just an ongoing topic. We can say our farewells, swap final tips, swap contact-means. Give Nate our thanks, etc.

This place means a lot to quite a few people, i think we'd all like to kiss it goodbye properly. I owe a lot to this place.
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Tue May 16, 2006 8:19 pm
backgroundbob says...

Absolutely. Anything as good as this place deserves a right royal send-off, even if it's ONLY GOING DOWN TEMPORARILY.

Hopefully, God's more likely to read it if it's written in caps.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

98 Reviews

Reviews: 98
Tue May 16, 2006 8:20 pm
Sophie says...

EVERYBODY CLICK ON ADS! QUICK!!
Oh the trees!
Take me back to London please!!!

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Tue May 16, 2006 8:23 pm
Nutter says...

I know I've been a really crap member. I've hardly posted, almost never critiqued... I'm really not worth this site. But it still kept me going, knowing that this was always around.

I've met a few people through this, and though I might have lost touch with them, I think about you!

So I'm sorry to see this go, and I wish good luck to everyone (that makes me sound like I created the site! lol)

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Tue May 16, 2006 8:41 pm
Dream Deep says...

Sophie wrote:EVERYBODY CLICK ON ADS! QUICK!!

I second you, Sophie. I never really got around to this, but in the face of ultimate destruction, I'd like to say that I read some of your posts. It's been a pleasure knowing you, however indirectly. _/)

- she who Dreams too Deep

214 Reviews

Reviews: 214
Tue May 16, 2006 9:13 pm
Prosithion says...

Sophie wrote:EVERYBODY CLICK ON ADS! QUICK!!

I totally agree with Sophie. Do what ever you ahve to to keep this brilliant site running.

I really am sad that YWS is closing down.

*sniffles*

I hope to meet all of you on Dusky's new site.

*sniffles* again. and again. and again. and again. finally runs and jumps off a cliff.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt011 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :smt010 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt013 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt022 :smt073 :smt073 :smt073 :smt073 :smt073 :smt090 :smt090 :smt090 :smt090 :smt090 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt102 :smt117 :smt117 :smt117 :smt117 :smt117
"wub wub wub wub. Now Zoidberg is the popular one."

"Computer... Captain's musk"

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Tue May 16, 2006 9:25 pm
sabradan says...

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

This is such a shock. And, for the first time in well, a long time I can remember...I am at a loss for words.

You all have touched and helped me in some way or another, whether it is in my actual writing, in theory and ideas, or if youre one of the people I talk to online about things relating from this site to my relationships, you have all helped and touched me, and I hope we can keep in contact.

Anyway, I think we should try to SAVE THE YWS!!! We could make BUTTONS and TSHIRTS and who knows what else. Anyway, um, if that doesn't work, I agree with others who think we should give YWS a, in the words of Bob "a right royal sendoff" and make sure its temporary.

I will end this post in the traditional manner my of people,
B'Shalom v'Ahava (in Peace and Love),
Dan (Sab)

AIM: sabradan1
email: sabradan1@sbcglobal.net

P.S. I will come back with a proper speech in that thread when it opens.
"He who takes a life...it is as if he has destroyed an entire world....but he who saves one life, it is as if he has saved the world entire" Talmud Sanhedrin 4:5

!Hasta la victoria siempre! (Always, until Victory!)
-Ernesto "Che" Guevarra

Meatball, meatball, spaghetti underneath; ravioli, ravioli, great barrier reef!
— Spongebob