z

Young Writers Society

New (sorta) look for YWS

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:48 am
Nate says...

I've dumped the YWS Standard look in favor of just the YWS Dark (which, incidentally, is now YWS Standard). There were a couple of problems in the switchover, but it should all be alright now. I've defaulted everyone's style to Dark Blue, so if you used another dark, then you'll have to change it back. After I finish this, I'm going to add an easier way to change skins. Just go to the My YWS page to see what I mean.

The switchover took place because it's too much to have to manage two different looks for YWS. It's very nice to have two looks, but it's not practical. Hopefully some of the issues people had with YWS Dark have been solved, and I hope people who liked the old will eventually like the new.

Now that there's only one, it'll be a lot easier to make changes and add new stuff, which is going to be very important this month.

80 Reviews

Reviews: 80
Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:54 am
ladydark says...

beautiful, absolutely lovely... but must that 'horrid' and 'ugly' young writers thing stay on the front page? not bobo's but yours? it rather hurts... ^^ but other then that, lovely just lovely
“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”

"Foul devil, for God's sake, hence, and trouble us not;
For thou hast made the happy earth thy hell,
Fill'd it with cursing cries and deep exclaims." (Richard III 1.2) Shakespeare

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:07 am
Meshugenah says...

Hehe, Nate, you uberly rock.

And what's wrong with the logo? The on at the top of the page I really like.. the one on the front page? eh.. I didn't use standard, and that's the one I've always seen.. what's wrong with it?

changes? new stuff? This month? :D You amaze me, you know that?
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

425 Reviews

Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:38 am
Nate says...

Well the easy way to change style isn't working. It's there, but it won't work. Just go to edit preferences to do it for now.

Changed the second logo on the front page. It looks better, but what do people think of it?

As for new changes/additions, I'm going to work on the album to make it more seamless with the rest of the site (i.e., when you go to a person's profile, you see some of their uploaded pictures). I'm also going to change the buddy list around so that it's more like what MySpace has with friends. Then there'll be some little changes, like the strikeout text people requested and a couple of new forums. Also going to add a contact page and a staff page. I'm also going to test out an IM service in YWS.

I'm going to start this week with the new changes (the easy way to change the look is one new addition), and hopefully be done by April 21st. Should take twice as fast to make a change now :)

481 Reviews

Reviews: 481
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:12 am
Bobo says...

Yes, the logo looks better, but not a whole lot... :/

Also, this may take a lot of work for both Nate and I, but if people really want something with a lighter background and such, I'd be willing to edit YWS Dark's images to be lighter, and then Nate could mess with the skin colors a bit so that it all fits. Like I said, though, it would take a lot of work, so people have to really want it, and Nate would have to also be willing to make that sacrifice of time. So, just a suggestion that may or may not happen. If everyone is unsure of what I mean, I could post a sample page showing some of the images in a lighter color so you get the idea. It would actually be pretty cool IMO, just a matter of how badly it's wanted.

Also, Nate, you need to add a spacer after the buddy button.

447 Reviews

Reviews: 447
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:43 am
Duskglimmer says...

Please, don't go messing with my colors! lol.

Sounds great, Nate. The logo on the front page is better than it was, but it still looks like you slapped it together in photoshop or something. It's not bad, but it doesn't match with the rest of the site.
The robbed that smiles, steals something from the thief. ~William Shakespeare, Othello
Boo. SPEW is watching.

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:48 am
Crysi says...

*cringes*

This is NOT working with my synesthesia. At all.

Um... I'll have to play around to see if I can get a setup that looks okay to me... But to be perfectly honest, I absolutely loathe the new look. I don't want to spend any more time here than I have to anymore...

[EDIT] Okay, so Dark Purple is tolerable, at least. I'm still not fond of the new look though. [/EDIT]
Love and Light

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:39 am
Snoink says...

Nate wrote:Now that there's only one, it'll be a lot easier to make changes and add new stuff, which is going to be very important this month.

Is one of these changes subforums? :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:38 am
deleted6 says...

I prefered the old one but a penny saved is a penny earned, so anything too help this forum running good. Anyway not so bad heh.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:32 am
Firestarter says...

Well I don't like but if other people are happy, I guess it works out for the majority. I'll get used to it. Though if you lightened the grey I think that would improve it A LOT.
Nate wrote:And if YWS ever does become a company, Jack will be the President of European Operations. In fact, I'm just going to call him that anyways.

Random avatar

Reviews: 1160
Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 am
Elizabeth says...

yeah... fixing how you switch would help :P
i tried 2 times....

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:03 am
backgroundbob says...

Icky poo.

The blue is nice, mind: the rest is smelly and depressing.
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:13 am
Matt Bellamy says...

I like it. I'm a dark soul. Apparently.
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

425 Reviews

Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:21 pm
Nate says...

I'm looking into how to come up with a lighter color without getting rid of the current one, and I think I have it figured out. It'll take a bit of time to put it into action, but by the end of the week, you should be able to choose whatever background color you want for YWS; whether it be pink, neon green, white, grey, etc.

Snoink, I've axed the subforums thing. Just decided that we have more than enough space for regular forums.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:14 pm
Zion says...

Dark colours are good for my eyes. I like it :)

EDIT: I dont like the new logo on the main page...blargh...cant you just remove it and make the logo on the top a little bigger or sumthin?
Without sensibility no object would be given to us, without understanding no object would be thought. Thoughts without content are empty, intuitions without concepts are blind.

Immanuel Kant
"Critique of Pure Reason"

Nothing says criminal activity like strong bones. ;)
— Magebird