z

Young Writers Society

Advertising

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

Over the past couple weeks, I've been playing around with the various ad units. I added a new ad unit to the bottom of the site, and I moved the text link ads from the footer to the sidebar on the front page. I also just added a new ad unit that goes below the "Enter our chat room" area on the front page, and got rid of the Google Ad that used to go in the sidebar.

What I'm trying to do is to strike a good balance between revenue and the user experience. Part of that balance is done by making sure that when you're browsing the forums or reading something, there are no ads to be seen. But when you're not reading something, such as clicking on a navigation link or glancing at the front page, you're likely to see an ad. That's not the best advertising strategy, but I do think it strikes a good balance between revenue and the user experience.

But, from your perspective, are there too many ads? Or rather, do you find the ads annoying?

Also, about adblock

I use adblock plus and love it. Some sites have so many ads that it gets hard to distinguish between the advertising and the content. However, please disable it for sites you enjoy (such as YWS!). Money is made from ads in two ways: clicks and eyeballs. Thus, even if you don't click on an ad, you're still helping YWS earn a little bit of money. To disable, just click on the "ABP" stop sign then choose "disable on X.com."

You can also donate

To get rid of ads, you can choose to donate:
proaccounts.php

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:01 pm
View Likes
tinny says...

I thought I saw a project wonderful space earlier while I was on my phone? Or at least, I only see it on my phone, even though I'm logged in on both it and my laptop? I got a bit excited because I quite like project wonderful, it's how I came upon quite a few of the webcomics I now follow regularly.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:15 pm
View Likes
Nate says...

little tin fish wrote:I thought I saw a project wonderful space earlier while I was on my phone? Or at least, I only see it on my phone, even though I'm logged in on both it and my laptop? I got a bit excited because I quite like project wonderful, it's how I came upon quite a few of the webcomics I now follow regularly.

Aye, I just added it last night. I'm going to let it run for a month and see how it does. My hope is that it raises enough revenue that I can get rid of the text link ads.

Of course, everyone can help with that by clicking on the Project Wonderful ad unit! It's the one right above the Review Queue and below "Enter our chat room" on the front page.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:43 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

The ads don't bother me, honestly. They're kinda fun to see, but otherwise, I've learned to block them out when I need to. The only ad that causes me a rare problem is the one below the chat, but that's only 'cause I'm silly and miss the type box when clicking.

I like your idea behind the ads though! It's a concept I haven't heard or thought of. Good thinking!
I make my own policies.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:38 am
Snoink says...

Just a side note... the Pro Accounts are really quite nice! I have it, and I have to say that whenever I see YWS with its ads, it kind of takes me aback because it's so much nicer without the ads!
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

The true adventurer goes forth aimless and uncalculating to meet and greet unknown fate.
— O. Henry (William Sydney Porter)