z

Young Writers Society

June 26th Review Day (GMT)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 am
Nate says...

YWS' last Reviewing Sunday was a bit slow and we only eked out around 400 reviews in 24 hours. But, the one before that - on May Day - was absolutely incredible with an astounding 1,000+ reviews in a single 24 hour period! We're not going to try to break that (or at least, I won't make that the goal), but I think we can definitely punch out 700+ reviews this time around.

By the way, this is the first time we'll be doing Review Teams exclusively for Review Day. For those who remember, we tried Review Teams in May with Team Pinkshearwater taking the cake (narrowly beating Team Bamboozle). They worked well at first, but quickly fizzled out. So from now on, we're doing Review Teams only on Review Days. Makes sense, right?

To join a Review Team, click here!

So what is a Reviewing Sunday? On the last Sunday of every month, YWS holds a reviewing day. This means:
  • No new literary works can be submitted (you can wait 24 hours!)
  • The Featured Works block on the front page is changed to a Last 5 Reviews block
  • You can earn up to 100 points per review instead of the normal 50
  • You can join a Review Team to compete against others

Now, because the Earth is round and it tends to spin, not everyone has Sunday at the same time. So we're going to go by Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and declare 12:01 am GMT to 11:59 pm GMT as the YWS Reviewing Sunday. Some international times for that are below:

United Kingdom: 1:01 am (Sunday) to 12:59 am (Monday)

United States & Canada
Atlantic: 9:01 pm (Saturday) to 8:59 pm (Sunday)
Eastern: 8:01 pm (Saturday) to 7:59 pm (Sunday)
Central: 7:01 pm (Saturday) to 6:59 pm (Sunday)
Western: 6:01 pm (Saturday) to 5:59 pm (Sunday)
Pacific: 5:01 pm (Saturday) to 4:59 pm (Sunday)

New Zealand: 12:01 pm (Sunday) to 11:59 am (Monday)

Australia
Eastern: 10:01 am (Sunday) to 9:59 am (Monday)
Central: 9:31 am (Sunday) to 9:29 am (Monday)
Western: 8:01 am (Sunday) to 7:59 am (Monday)

India: 5:31 (am) Sunday to 5:29 am (Monday)

117 Reviews

Reviews: 117
Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:09 pm
TwistedMuffins says...

Um, so for the Middle East, it'd be around 3 am (Sunday) to 2:30 or so (Monday) right? :3
If I were to have a super power, it would be to time-travel, so that I could turn back time, and erase your very existence.

522 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 522
Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 pm
Lavvie says...

Pacific: 5:01 pm (Saturday) to 4:49 pm (Sunday)

This has always bothered me and I only decided to point it out now. But isn't it 4:59?

I'm always confused about when it ends for me because of this :P

What is to give light must endure burning. – Viktor Frankl

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:47 am
Nate says...

JustTrying ->> I think it's from 5am Sunday to 5am Monday. However, you can just use the countdown on the front page.

Lavender ->> Haha, fixed.

Everyone ->> I made the goal 700 reviews, but I really think we can make this another 1,000+ reviews Review Day. We have a lot of works that need reviewing, so we won't have any shortage of those. Plus, we've already had 122 people sign up for the Review Teams, which is more than what we had for the May Day Review Day. Just please remember that quality matters more than quantity. If you write a poor review and/or use poor grammar, then you're selling yourself short. Try to spend a minimum of ten minutes writing your review, and try to help the author by explaining why you liked or didn't like the work.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:38 pm
Rosendorn says...

Nate wrote:Everyone ->> I made the goal 700 reviews, but I really think we can make this another 1,000+ reviews Review Day. We have a lot of works that need reviewing, so we won't have any shortage of those. Plus, we've already had 122 people sign up for the Review Teams, which is more than what we had for the May Day Review Day. Just please remember that quality matters more than quantity. If you write a poor review and/or use poor grammar, then you're selling yourself short. Try to spend a minimum of ten minutes writing your review, and try to help the author by explaining why you liked or didn't like the work.

Don't forget to go after Unanswered Literary Items and Works with 1 Review (the latter has nine pages.)
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:46 pm
Destiny110 says...

Wait, if we were already on a team for May Day, do we need another team? My brain is all like "Whhaaa?" when I was reading that :P
The last person to mess with me and my tigerness lost his face...and his COOKIES!

558 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 558
Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:49 pm
Matt Bellamy says...

I may have said this before, but why is it 1:01 to 12:59 and not 1:00 to 12:59? That technically makes it review 23 hours and 59 minutes! :P

[/picky]
Matt.

Got Tumblr? Me too! http://www.writersam.co.uk

Peeking Cat Poetry Magazine is accepting submissions! http://peekingcatpoetrymagazine.blogspot.co.uk

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:52 pm
JabberHut says...

Destiny110 wrote:Wait, if we were already on a team for May Day, do we need another team? My brain is all like "Whhaaa?" when I was reading that :P

It's just to shake things up! Get used to a whole new team of awesome. 8)
I make my own policies.

I never travel without my diary. One should always have something sensational to read in the train.
— Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest