z

Young Writers Society

WriterFeedPad Problems Thing of the Past

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:39 pm
Nate says...

Didn't feel like creating a whole new thread (this thread was previously titled "Free Money" to get people to read it, and it appears to have worked), so I just hid the original post in the spoiler below.

Anyhoot, WriterFeedPad has been moved over to its own server. You no longer need :9000 after the domain to access it, and it won't even work if you do include :9000. As a result, I'm hoping server timeouts are a thing of the past. Of course, if they aren't, just let me know.

Spoiler! :
WriterFeedPad will be inaccessible on June 9th beginning at about 2am US East Coast Time (7am in the UK, 11pm in San Francisco / Los Angeles / Vancouver, 4pm in Sydney). The downtime should last no more than few hours, although it may last as long as 24 hours for a minority of users.

What's Happening?
Note: The below is somewhat technical and it's not necessary to read.

WriterFeedPad has been experiencing a lot of issues related to downtime. However, these issues seem to be all related to either user firewalls or domain name server issues. In other words, it's not WFP that's really having problems but rather internet connections.

I think the way to fix this is to make WFP run on port 80. All computers have what are called ports, into which information goes. On a computer, port 80 is reserved for internet traffic. But right now, WFP runs on port 9000 (hence the :9000 after all WFP addresses).

The reason it runs on port 9000 rather than port 80 is a bit complicated, but suffice to say that both YWS and WFP cannot run on the same port.

So what I'm doing is moving WFP onto its own dedicated server. That way it can run on port 80, and all issues should be resolved. Doing this doesn't take too much time. Rather, what takes so much time is for your network to recognize the new server. Nowadays, this can take as little as 15 minutes (it used to take days). But usually it takes at least a few hours, and if you live in Africa or the Balkans, it can take a couple days.

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Please note, there is actually no free money. Sorry to get your hopes up.

675 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 675
Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 am
View Likes
lilymoore says...

I am not amused.

This guy is...
Spoiler! :

but I wanted my free money.

*also, good luck with the techie stuff, Nate*
Never forget who you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:28 am
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

This makes me so incredibly happy, despite the lack of free money. WFP sort of wormed its way into my writing life and constant recent downtime was making me a very, very sad panda.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

896 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 896
Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:05 am
PenguinAttack says...

This sounds rad, I just have one question: Is this going to cost more $$? Not just the free money, of course.
I like you as an enemy, but I love you as a friend.

7 Reviews

Reviews: 7
Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:22 am
Vramel says...

Hooray!
I'm a Writer!

If you want to help a dragon egg in need click here: http://dragcave.net/view/YQdH

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 pm
Nate says...

I have finished moving WriterFeedPad onto a new server. This should result in better uptime, but please note that the :9000 after the address is no longer necessary. In fact, if you include :9000, it won't even work!

Pengu ->> Not much more; just $10 per month in extra licensing fees. The WFP server itself was just cut off from the YWS server.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:21 pm
View Likes
Demeter says...

On my feed, someone had liked two topics in a row. The other one was called "Grammar", the other one was called "FREE MONEY". For a second, my mouse hovered over "Grammar", but then it slowly made its way to "FREE MONEY" and I found myself clicking.
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

355 Reviews

Reviews: 355
Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:35 pm
LadySpark says...

Demeter wrote:On my feed, someone had liked two topics in a row. The other one was called "Grammar", the other one was called "FREE MONEY". For a second, my mouse hovered over "Grammar", but then it slowly made its way to "FREE MONEY" and I found myself clicking.

ME TO

I was all excited. I wanted some free money. D: I is sad Nate.

Good luck with your techie stuff :D
hush, my sweet
these tornadoes are for you

-Richard Siken

Formerly SparkToFlame

425 Reviews

Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:19 am
Nate says...

Updated original post.

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:13 pm
View Likes
GryphonFledgling says...

Updating the post I've already liked means I can't "like" it again. Curse it all.
I am reminded of the babe by you.

Uh, Lisa, the whole reason we have elected officials is so we don't have to think all the time. Just like that rainforest scare a few years back: our officials saw there was a problem and they fixed it, didn't they?
— Homer Simpson