z

Young Writers Society

Server Timeouts, CloudFlare errors, etc.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:00 am
View Likes
Nate says...

There seems to be a smattering of problems lately, and while they are affecting only a minority of users, it seems best to let everyone know of YWS' server problems.

For whatever reason, YWS is experiencing rather high activity as of late. That in itself would not be a major problem. What is exacerbating matters is that people are also using WriterFeedPad more than ever. That's awesome, but WFP also consumes tremendous server resources. Combine high YWS activity with high WFP activity and it's a recipe for server timeouts, missed connections, etc.

I can't promise that the problems are fixed. What I have done is to first re-work some of the database queries, which has had the result of decreasing the average page load time to just 2.5 seconds (from a high of 7 seconds just a few weeks ago). Today, I took the additional measure of purchasing 50% more server capacity for YWS. That should help things out a lot, although then again, it may not.

All in all, I just ask for your patience while YWS goes through this growth period. These things happen occasionally, and there's only so much that me and I can do.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:02 am
MeanMrMustard says...

I remember you wondering about how much server memory WFP/Etherpad use Nate, back when I gave you the examples/estimations. I would be interested to see if it's met or exceeded your expectations.

Remember when dad's shoulders were the highest place on earth and your mom was your hero? Race issues were about who ran the fastest, war was only a car game. The most pain you felt was when you skinned your knees, and good byes only meant tomorrow? And we couldn't wait to grow up.
— Unknown