z

Young Writers Society

Clubs Renovation (Update Number 3)

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:20 pm
Nate says...

Well, the Clubs index looks loads better now (in my humble opinion at least!).

What I've done is gone for an app store type look in the Clubs index, which I hope maximizes discovery and offers a visually appealing layout. Additionally, I've fixed the "Search Clubs" tool such that it actually works now and I added a few other flairs (hovering over a Club will display the full description).

However, I have removed three sections total. The first is that there is no more 'Recently Updated' area. The second is that there is no more 'My Clubs' feed. And third is that there is no section telling you which Clubs you administrate. I don't think people will really notice the absence of any of these though as all were rarely used. Yet, if there's something you miss, just holler.

In any case, I am keenly interested in what you think regarding the layout as I will be doing something very similar with the front page of WriterFeed (not WriterFeedPad!). So devastating criticism, stupefying praise, and other comments are all welcome!

Update

Just finished totally reworking the discussions area of the Clubs. It is now a lot more like a forum, and I'm pretty sure all bugs have been killed. There is no more double-posting, no more odd broken layout problems, and everything seems to be working excellent.

Second Update

You can now sort your "My Clubs" list. By default, "My Clubs" are now sorted by alphabetical order, and to change the order you just click on a move icon. I think it works really well, but let me know!

Third Update

Alright, this is the third and final update for clubs. That is, clubs can now have multiple admins and officers!

To make an admin or officer, the club creator just needs to click on the 'Admin' tab. Admins additionally have the ability to create officers.

Officers are really just titles, although it is a way for you to organize your club. For instance, lets say you have a club and someone is in charge of promoting it. You could make that person an officer with the title of 'Promoter.'

It all works pretty well and I really, really encourage club creators to take advantage of it.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:56 pm
Lava says...

*likes.*
I'm assuming 'My Clubs' are arranged in post order.
But I do miss the 'I administrate' tab even if it is only one club I administrate. I don't mind a miniscule text like the previous one at the top of MyClubs or the first row of MyClubs to show the Administrated clubs.

Just my opinion. ^^
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

159 Reviews

Reviews: 159
Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:37 pm
MeanMrMustard says...

Second Lava.

Otherwise, nice job Nate. I see you fixed the info box appearing too far to the right.

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:41 pm
View Likes
Rosendorn says...

Yeah. I'd used the administrate list a lot, especially to get to my writing club as it's infrequently posted on.

Maybe, for WriterFeed, have another tab for "quick grab"/Favourites? These would be clubs you access semi-regularly and didn't want to dig through your club list to find. Then it acts as a replacement to administrate (you can just slip all them on the list) and lets you expand it a bit more. It'd be awesome if that could be done here.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

482 Reviews

Reviews: 482
Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:12 pm
Ranger Hawk says...

Nate wrote:everything seems to be working excellent.

Quite so, sir! ^_^ Haven't had any more bugs with the discussions and it's just easier to use since it's so similar to the forums.

I love the new layout of the Clubs page; I guess the only "complaint" would be that, under My Clubs, they seem to show up in random order, making it more time-consuming to sift through to find a specific club. It used to be alphabetized, which was rather handy. But, not a big deal. :D *sighs happily* This site just keeps getting better.
There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people:
psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays better.
~Rick Castle

425 Reviews

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Fixed another long-standing bug with club admins being unable to remove comments or discussion posts. This bug has now been fixed, although if there are any problems just let me know in the Report a Site Bug thread.

Also, the clubs renovation isn't quite over. For one, the front page for clubs is set to receive even further renovation. There will be featured clubs in order to highlight the best of the best, and a way for you to organize the 'My Clubs' area (my hope is to do this with drag and drop). For another, there will also be the ability to have multiple admins, block people, and perhaps even a way to "recall" club admins. By "recall", I mean a way for a significant number of club members to come together and decide they want a new admin. This would mainly be just a way to replace a club admin that is no longer active on YWS.

425 Reviews

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:11 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Well, you can now sort the "My Clubs" list! I've tested it in Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and IE 9, and it seemed to work pretty well in each. I have not tested it, though, in IE 8 or IE 7. Regardless, if you have a problem in any browser, let me know in the Report A Site Bug thread.

Edit
I have found one bug. When trying to move a club beginning on the fifth row of icons, it starts to jump. Not sure what's causing it, but it's late and I'm apathetic.
Fixed.

425 Reviews

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:03 am
View Likes
Nate says...

More!

Added 'New Posts' graphic for Clubs that have new posts (either wall comments or discussion posts).

Added 'Featured Clubs.' At the moment, 13 different clubs are featured though only 10 will appear at a time. With well over 1,000 clubs out there, more clubs will be featured soon.

Changed titles for clubs that you administrate. Now if you administrate a club, the title will be red in the Club Index.

Is more coming? Yes. More is coming.

147 Reviews

Reviews: 147
Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:25 am
LookUpThere says...

I actually logged into the club page I think on your latest update. Honestly, the interface is awesome.

425 Reviews

Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:21 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Just added the ability to have multiple admins and officers; just check the first post for more information (see under 'Third Update'). I think people are really going to like it.

“Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?”
— L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables